Uk Motortown Review 1965

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

Just received this review from Jim Saphin as part of the Motown Photo Exhibition research........thought you lot would enjoy it.... :) Jo

THE MOTORTOWN REVIEW MARCH 1965

FINSBURY PARK ASTORIA - LONDON

Soon after the launch of the Tamla Motown label in the Uk in March of 1965 Berry Gordy brought over a few select artists from the 'stable' in Detroit, USA and presented this superlative revue.

I was fortunate to witness this event including in the line-up, The Supremes, The Miracles, Martha & The Vandellas, Little Stevie Wonder (then 11 yrs of age), all with full backing by The Earl Van Dyke Sextet.

Earl starts off the festivities with a pumping instrumental version of "Too Many Fish In The Sea."

The Supremes, The Miracles, Martha & The Vandellas and Stevie Wonder put on exceptional shows, each seemingly trying to best the other. Stevie in particular had a supercharged, electric quality about him, and it showed on his stinging rendition of Tommy Tucker's "High Heel Sneakers," plus a mellow "Funny How Time Slips Away,"

Martha Reeves is one of the few singers who could turn "If I Had A Hammer" into a soulful number, which she did to the Astoria's delight.

The Supremes sounded most elegant and sure of themselves singing their hits! "Stop In The Name Of Love" and the number one UK hit "Baby Love," and excelling on the West Side Story classic, "Somewhere."

The Miracles "Ooo Baby Baby" had the crowd spellbound,

finishing with an awesome version of "Mickey's Monkey" where they are joined by the entire cast.

WOW... :sleep3:

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just received this review from Jim Saphin as part of the Motown Photo Exhibition research........thought you lot would enjoy it.... :) Jo

THE MOTORTOWN REVIEW MARCH 1965

FINSBURY PARK ASTORIA - LONDON

Soon after the launch of the Tamla Motown label in the Uk in March of 1965 Berry Gordy brought over a few select artists from the 'stable' in Detroit, USA and presented this superlative revue.

I was fortunate to witness this event including in the line-up, The Supremes, The Miracles, Martha & The Vandellas, Little Stevie Wonder (then 11 yrs of age), all with full backing by The Earl Van Dyke Sextet.

Earl starts off the festivities with a pumping instrumental version of "Too Many Fish In The Sea."

The Supremes, The Miracles, Martha & The Vandellas and Stevie Wonder put on exceptional shows, each seemingly trying to best the other. Stevie in particular had a supercharged, electric quality about him, and it showed on his stinging rendition of Tommy Tucker's "High Heel Sneakers," plus a mellow "Funny How Time Slips Away,"

Martha Reeves is one of the few singers who could turn "If I Had A Hammer" into a soulful number, which she did to the Astoria's delight.

The Supremes sounded most elegant and sure of themselves singing their hits! "Stop In The Name Of Love" and the number one UK hit "Baby Love," and excelling on the West Side Story classic, "Somewhere."

The Miracles "Ooo Baby Baby" had the crowd spellbound,

finishing with an awesome version of "Mickey's Monkey" where they are joined by the entire cast.

WOW... :sleep3:

link

Told you Jim would come up trumps.

You owe me a pie or something :D

Social source share

I saw the same show in the ABC Chester. Jim is right about The Miracles - Ooh Baby Baby with Smokey on his knees, great. Claudette was also in the group then. Little Stevie did a duet with his then manager, Clarence Paul on 'The Masquerade is over' who has also had records out and issued in the UK. Georgie Fame was also in the show to attract the 'pop pickers'. It truly was a tremendous show and I still have the programme. The crazy thing was that the place was less than half full, so the announcer asked everyone to come to the front to help create an atmosphere! That suited me and my mate as we were broke and bought cheap seats, hitchiked from Wrexham to Chester and blagged a lift home off Soul Sam and some other guys we both knew from Overton where Sam(Martin) lived who were in a pop group and later appeared and won 6 times on Opportunity Knocks!

Slim

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!