Bisley - Sat 26 Feb 05

Soulsmith

Just a quick note to remind one & all that Bisley is back on this Saturday.

I think I'm right in saying its the best attended soul nite in the south.

Details of the event are up in the Events section: DJs confirmed Chris King, Roger Stewart, Mischief etc. BUT......Tony Ellis name has been missed off. Tony was a top DJ around the Yate era & I for one am looking fwd to his spot.

As normal we will be meeting up first at the Hen & Chickens.

If you fancy joining us just drop me a p/message & I will advise on directions.

• Replies 36
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Dr Pickles

Col

Myself and the all the usual gang of Hertfordshire soulies will be attending this in force. Baggies are pressed and bag is waiting by the door.

Can't wait. No better warm up for Prestatyn ranting_1.gif

See you there. :dance:

Col - Regret to say I will be in LA and have to miss Tony's set [rumoured to be his last??]. Chrissie isn't joining me [after all] so would imagine she'll be attending Bisley along w/Barry + Silv. Sure to be a great night. Last time I heard Tony play was one of the original 6Ts do's, pre 100 club shades.gif A truly Great DJ.

Enjoy Y'all !! whistling.gif

Guest in town Mikey

I had a mate living at Brookwood. he kept saying about going to visit him, the same weekend as the 'Northern Soul disco's at bisley'. I left it 2 years, before i did. And regretted it immensley. I've not had a bad night down there. :lol:

And the niters are even more fun. :D:P

Drizabone - just worked it out (sound of another penny dropping) thats you John innit! The biggest up & coming record collector in the south. Rumour has it if you stop buying records, the whole of the Kent economy would collapse.

Deeve - yeah must have been a tough break. DJing at the Oscars .....or a nite in a ballroom at the end of a firing range? Good luck stateside! Look fwd to seeing Chrissie, although I think she's rapidly coming to the conclusion that I may be semi-detatched from reality.

Mikey - can normally accomodate. Just drop me a line.

Be good to see you back where you belong (in a ballroom at the end of a firing range) :yes:

Mischief - PK now has the web site up & running

https://www.freewebs.com/bisleynightshiftclub/

Supercorsa, are you going if so say hello.

link

Unfortunately not, as I'd already arranged to go away for the weekend with the wife. :ohmy:

Always enjoy myself down there, but remember Boys & Girls NO Talc on the dancefloor! Just a reminder as last time they mentioned if people continued to put down Talc they could lose the venue, which would be a shame.

I wll be going along for the first time to abuse Mischief and to ensure that Chris doesn't feel lonely in the baggies brigade! Heard good things about the place so looking forward to it.

link

Big O' looking forward to it.. get there early as it fills up... :ohmy:

see ya saturday :yes:

Supercorsa... anonther time.. need to put a face to the name.. enjoy the weekend away..

Mischief what time are you on?Heard your set at Exeter.Coming up from Bournemouth weather permitting.Hope to see you there.

link

Cheers Dave,

Exeter was a blinding night, really enjoyed it.

I'm going to be on first at Bisley, so I can get the floor going 8-9.

hopefully see you there..weather permiting. :ohmy:

Mischief

Deeve: "she knows you're full on detatched"

No complaints there from me. Now if she said I was dull I'd be mortified

wink.gif ............but thats never going to happen!

Mischief: Moldie has the cards. He's bringing yellow ones & big red ones.

As previously demonstrated - he's not afraid to use them.

ps Don't forget the 3 strikes rule.

bisley is a pretty predictable nite so it was refreshing to turn up and find a new dj(female) on the decks playing tunes you dont usually get there.

just goes to show that you can alternate the music and the punters will dance.

it was packed as well.a lot more in than usuall but maybe because it was the aniversary nite.

music after her set went back to normal bisley playlist.

crowd thined out a lot at around 1 am but then the bar shut and the two ronnies were up dj,ing(NO offence lads).

their set started well with some tunes they dont usually play but soon went back to bisley standard music.

left 8 minutes befor the end as the usuall 3 b4 8 started to get played.

the rest of the punters fell into a deep coma at this point as we made our escape.

a good nite though with an up for it crowd.

some strange occurances through the nite.

a lovely couple(no names) had a picnic in there for the last 2 hours.sandwiches.rivitas ect.

all they needed was a rug and flask and it would of made my nite.

tim b trying to steel my wives drink due to being to lazy to go to the bar

being told off and made to do a hundred lines for dancing on talc.

Always enjoy myself down there, but remember Boys & Girls NO Talc on the dancefloor!  Just a reminder as last time they mentioned if people continued to put down Talc they could lose the venue, which would be a shame.

link

being told off and made to do a hundred lines for dancing on talc.

link

You obviously didn't read the whole of this topic then, naughty boy! :yes:

Mischief, you going to post up a playlist then? :yes:

Didn't witness the pic-nic incident but if I had to place a bet on one of the active participants my money would be on some involvement from Moldie :sleep3:

link

youre getting warm.

a clue , moldies boyfriend :thumbsup::) .

cheers for picture.

100 lines was totally unfair.recon i could still be awake for the next bisley :huh:

First time for me - enjoyed myself and nice to meet and be abused by fellow SS members such as Soulsmith and the other tubby geezer in the photo with Mischief elsewhere:-))) Music wise it was safe and I felt Mischief could have been on later in the evening, say between 2am-3am (only kidding!!!), as he could have played a few lesser known and forgotten stuff. Chris King I felt was awful as he came in, I presume, just B4 his set and then played a load of the stuff that had already been played. A pet hate of mine and of many judging by the others moaning all around me. The hall is great, the crowd were a good laff and overall I thought it was a good night. Oh, and the lovely Tim Brown still hasn't read my other post on here and contnued to provide me with ammo re: his 'dancing' style, but I leave that to my new found friends to comment on that (it's only a bit of fun!!!).

On the point of predictible sounds I guess it's the age old point that if you go on a regular basis the you know what your in for, you pays your money and you make your choice. That said, and being an aging old soul man whose always on the lookout for those new sounds, I still had a good time and for me Doddgy Roger Stewart played the best set, well balanced mix of old, forgotten and recent and kept me going on the floor.

Edited by TheBigO
Guest Dr Pickles

Arrived at 7.45 due to warnings of roadworks on the M25 and Mr M's set starting at 8.00. Managed to get guns, knives and drugs past the bouncer on the door, lucky for me he was only interested in talc. Patch in hand, made my way to the dance floor.

Everything started well with hello's to the early arrivals and having the dance floor quite empty for most of Paul's set. The anticipation for a top night was starting to build.

Unfortunately from a music point of view the rest of the night went on to be flat and uninspiring, in dispersed with the odd good tune. The funniest part was during an instrumental version of "Do I Love You" the DJ started shouting "clap above your heads to create some atmosphere" :sleep3:

I was quite happy with the double plays as I got to dance to Wade Flemmons "Jeanette" twice.

Still, with all this standing around chatting I found the anticipation for Prestatyn was running high and I can't wait until next Thursday.

So with the last death throws of the night still twitching helped on by yet more predictable records to finish, I made my exit only to find that two jokers had blocked me in.

post-1774-1109586157_thumb.jpg

100 point turn later and I was off home to watch the dawn and eat chocolate digestives.

Mischief as much as your not going to do me any more CD's :thumbsup: you should have had a later spot matey. We was robbed.

Edited by Dr Pickles

So with the last death throws of the night still twitching helped on by yet more predictable records to finish,  I made my exit only to find that two jokers had blocked me in. 

post-1774-1109586157_thumb.jpg

link

Oi! You saying we blocked your back passage :sleep3::thumbsup::huh: I thought that MissChav and I were rather dashing fine figures of men in the photo.

Wanted to say something positive (for a change)......

I had a good night. :thumbsup:

Have to say... the lady DJ (sorry don't know name) was excellent, but then that is probably because uptempo RnB stylee does it for me bigtime at the moment. And she certainly played some goodies.

Also wanted to comment on the geezer in the white T-shirt and black strides :huh: (that narrows it down I know). Anyway, he was near the loos, and he was a fkn fantastic dancer. I kissed his feet in appreciation of such style (well, I didn't but only cos I couldn't bend that far cos me trousiz were too tight).

Have to make my usual comment though about the sound system. If you weren't close enough to the speakers, depending on the quality of the record, all you got was a muffled blob of soul. And if you closed your eyes you could quite easily think you were at smithfields market ... with all the chatting going on (keep it down next time please..... some of us were trying to listen to the music). :sleep3:

Mischief, you going to post up a playlist then?  :D

link

Here it is... went on just before it started at 8 proberly 7.45ish till 9....

Oh I had a good night... always do down there... :lol:

"LUCKY IN LOVE" - FONTELLA BASS

"TAKE ME WITH YOU " - TINY POWELL

"SOMEDAY WERE GONNA LOVE AGAIN" - BARBRA LEWIS

"DON'T BE SO MEAN" - BOBBY PATERSON

"BABY HELP ME" - PERCY SLEDGE

"DOUBLE LIFE" - JERRY FULLER

"ANGEL BABY" - DARRELL BANKS

"IF YOU LOVE HER" - BOBBY TAYLOR

"I'M A GOOD GUY" - THE C.O.D.'S

"LIKE IT WAS THE LAST TIME" - OSCAR PERRY

"MY KINDA GIRL" - MANDRILL

"I LOVE YOU" - TERRY COLLINS

"UNDER YOUR POWERFUL LOVE" - JOE TEX

"I NEED YOU" - SHANE MARTIN

"COME ON TRAIN" - DON THOMAS

"IN ORBIT" - JOY LOVEJOY

"HIT & RUN" - ROSE BATTISTE

"IN LOVE" - TONY GALLA

"TRY A LITTLE HARDER" - THE FI-DELS

"OUR LOVE WILL GROW" - THE SHOWMEN

"SWEET SWEET LOVIN" - THE PLATTERS

"WAY OVER THERE" - EDWIN STARR

"AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN" - MARVIN & TAMMI

"WHY YOU WANNA MAKE ME BLUE" - TEMPTATIONS

"IF I HAD MY WAY" - TROY KEYES.....(Prestatyn warm up)

"MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE" - ISLEY BROTHERS

"GET READY" - ELLA FITZGERALD

:P:D:D:D