Worst Venue You've Been To

Bigsoulman

What do our readers think is the worst venue in the UK at the moment, mine has to be The Ritz in Manchester or should I say the pitz!, an out and out rock venue bar none despite the hype about it, and what about the trip to the bogs?, I was half expecting to see a sign saying This Way To The Circle and District Line, or Mind The Gap wacko.gif

Social source share

• Replies 139
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i thought the ritz was great!

would like to see a seperate room for record dealers but not too far away from the action.

the worst venue has to be your front room on a saturday night when your mates have gone to an allnighter! whistling.gif

Shane

Social source share

Mine was on a trip to Toronto, searched the local gig/club guide and found this one venue was having a northern soul night, and on a date when i'd still be in the city. So i asked a hotel waitress (that i was friendly with) where this district was, she said it was in a tough part of the city, i said no problem i've seen a few rough places before. So i drags my good lady halfway across Toronto on their splendid subway system, we walk what like seems forever, passing unsavoury charachters in doorways etc, finally find the venue.....and the F********* thing is shut.....

That's my worst venue.

whistling.gif

Social source share

i thought the ritz was great!

would like to see a seperate room for record dealers but not too far away from the action.

the worst venue has to be your front room on a saturday night when your mates have gone to an allnighter!  shades.gif

Shane

link

Great? not_i.gif my word Shane you really must go to some doghouses if you think The Ritz great! whistling.gif

Social source share

Females often judge a venue on the state of the facilities, so on that basis The Dome had the worst loos I have come across in recent times (have they been fixed yet Ady ??? ) , and the now dunfunct Aqua in Hednesford had loos, that whilst they looked clean, stank like the inside of a camels colon.

Apart from my hang up about lavatories, can't think of anywhere I have been that I have really hated - most places seem to have something positive going for them be it the music, people, bar, whatever.

Social source share

Females often judge a venue on the state of the facilities, so on that basis The Dome had the worst loos I have come across in recent times (have they been fixed yet Ady ??? ) , and the now dunfunct Aqua in Hednesford had loos, that whilst they looked clean, stank like the inside of a camels colon.

Apart from my hang up about lavatories, can't think of anywhere I have been that I have really hated - most places seem to have something positive going for them be it the music, people, bar, whatever.

link

Have You been to 100 Club, the toilets are the worst on the planet!, but I hear they've been done up whistling.gif

Social source share

the ritz was great appart from the fact you needed wellies to walk to the loos.

domes a shithole and the 100 club dont fair much better.

rsg at the cement works back in the eighties tops the bill though

Social source share

Have You been to 100 Club, the toilets are the worst on the planet!, but I hear they've been done up whistling.gif

link

Usually find that toilets are much the same wherever you go.... and theres always inadequate provision for the numbers that attend veues.......

edited cos I got BIGSOULMAN mixed up with BIGBOY.... must be the imaginative choice of ID LOL

WOOF!

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Great? not_i.gif my word Shane you really must go to some doghouses if you think The Ritz great! whistling.gif

link

well actually i can be seen at the Dorchester, sipping the finest malt listening to Jamie Callum most weekends.

seriously though its not that important. there are very few venues available with a late licences away from 'normal' punters. its an underground scene and this is what you have to put up with. there are plenty of fancy venues if you can cope with sh*t music, gangs of hen/stag nights, expensive drinks, and in your face doormen.

what is your suggestion bigsoulman?

and to the people slagging off the 100 club.....i cant even reply to that.

just remember the promoters do not own these venues. we have to put up with some things to maintain this underground scene.

shane

Social source share

Worst venue is any venue where the dance floor has the markings of a badminton court.

link

I find the markings quite helpful towards the end of the night, if someone get's too close dancing you can tell them if they step over the line's that the line lions will eat them, usually find it works quite well, or they run away shades.gif

Toilets agree with Ali on both accounts, aqua and dome.

100 club toilets were never that bad IMO and now are rather smart, men and ladies as a few months ago Karen and I did an inspection of the men's toilet decor downt he 100 club whistling.gif

Social source share

and to the people slagging off the 100 club.....i cant even reply to that.

just remember the promoters do not own these venues. we have to put up with some things to maintain this underground scene.

shane

link

i recon we know that whistling.gif

we may think the venues a shithouse but it doesnt stop us from going

Social source share

Usually find that toilets are much the same wherever you go.... and theres always inadequate provision for the numbers that attend veues.......

edited cos I got BIGSOULMAN mixed up with BIGBOY.... mudst be the imaginative choise of ID LOL

WOOF!

link

Its not just the toilets i'm on about, its the floor the punters ect, but for the sake of loo's The Kings Hall in Stoke and the wonderful Spanish Ballroom in The Winter Gardens in Blackpool take some beating and that goes for the floor, punters ect, you pay good money to go to a properly run do then you should be treated that way, its not like the old days where you expected the place to be a shithole, this is 2005 and a place like the Ritz should move out of the 80s and give the people who attend these venue's some respect and not having to wade through piss, shit and vomit then be ripped off at the bar then told by a bouncer that "your blocking the fire door...so move now", to me The Ritz is just a seedy club with a crap dancefloor and toilets, do the promoters take that into consideration?, i've never been to the Dome but from what i've read its another dump, i'm not asking for 5 star facilities, just a properly run club with emphasis on the paying customer

Social source share

I don't think it's a very helpful thing to do to diss a club which is still running, I generally make my first several complaints to the promoters and management of the club, bog roll is the biggest problem for women. Think this has been disussed in lenght somewhere on the site already.

My only other big gripe is loads of stairs to the ladies, stair lifts would be nice touch whistling.gif

Social source share

seriously though its not that important. there are very few venues available with a late licences away from 'normal' punters. its an underground scene and this is what you have to put up with. there are plenty of fancy venues if you can cope with sh*t music, gangs of hen/stag nights, expensive drinks, and in your face doormen.

shane

link

These old people need their comforts though... you know, nice comfy chairs to sit in while they tell you about the good old days when they used to walk 40 miles through the snow to dance in a shed shades.gifwhistling.gif

Social source share

I don't think it's a very helpful thing to do to diss a club which is still running, I generally make my first several complaints to the promoters and management of the club, bog roll is the biggest problem for women. Think this has been disussed in lenght somewhere on the site already. 

My only other big gripe is loads of stairs to the ladies, stair lifts would be nice touch  shades.gif

link

well said Janine. not the bit about the womens toilets! the womens toilets wouldnt be half as bad if you didnt treat them like a social club for bitchin' shhh.gif

they would also benefit if you didnt attend in pairs too.

also what is it that women do after they flush the chain? they seem to stay in there for another ten minutes!

:thumbsup::Dwhistling.gif

shane

Social source share

These old people need their comforts though... you know, nice comfy chairs to sit in while they tell you about the good old days when they used to walk 40 miles through the snow to dance in a shed  shhh.gif   whistling.gif

link

shades.gif

i wonder if Thora Hird's stairlift is going cheap now?

shane

Social source share

well said Janine. not the bit about the womens toilets! the womens toilets wouldnt be half as bad if you didnt treat them like a social club for bitchin' shhh.gif

they would also benefit if you didnt attend in pairs too.

also what is it that women do after they flush the chain? they seem to stay in there for another ten minutes!

:thumbsup::Dwhistling.gif

shane

link

Nice one Shane, just why do they do that. do you think they look at each others beavers?.....nah can't be can it? shades.gif

Social source share

These old people need their comforts though... you know, nice comfy chairs to sit in while they tell you about the good old days when they used to walk 40 miles through the snow to dance in a shed  shhh.gif   shades.gif

link

Old!. i have you know you young whippersnapper that 40 years ago ect ect...... whistling.gif

Social source share

gary ............. what was the night called at the students union?

link

Samantha's isn't all that great is it really? so what its still running, its a crappy venue, disco room with crap dance floor, small mingin toilets, dead long and narrow in main room, on top of the bingo hall... musically i'm not slaggin it off but venue wise well, i don't like it so there :D

Social source share

Samantha's isn't all that great is it really? so what its still running, its a crappy venue, disco room with crap dance floor, small mingin toilets, dead long and narrow in main room, on top of the bingo hall... musically i'm not slaggin it off but venue wise well, i don't like it so there :lol:

link

Well, I had an enjoyable night there on Friday, so there! :D

Social source share

========

No disrespect Andy, but unless you've been to every northern room in the country, you can't make that statement

Winnie ;-)

link

Agree with you there, Win :lol:

There's been one or two contentious statements made on this thread, not least by someone hiding behind a rather anonymous, capitalised, username!

Show yourself, bigsoulman :D

Social source share

link

Yes Alison, the loos were fixed prior to the first night. There is now another Ladies at the top of the stairs, where the old cloakroom was.

So does that mean you'll come back to The Dome now Alison? Mind you, we still cut up news papers for loo rolls........Ady.

Social source share

========

says the 4 a.m. doormouse :-) :D

link

lol.. I haven't done that for ages!! :lol:

Really can't think where would be the worst venue, most are a bit scruffy but music and company more than makes up for that. You could be in the most luxurious venue but if other aspects of the night aren't right for you it'll still be miserable. If I was being fussy I do like being able to get a seat but it's not the end of the world, can always sit on the floor, random people's knees.... :P

Social source share

wonderful Spanish Ballroom in The Winter Gardens in Blackpool take some beating and that goes for the floor, punters ect,

link

Thanks for your compliment on the Spanish 'BIGSOULMAN' but I have to say the venue as with all venues is not without it's problems as a promoter I usually arrive at about 3 in the afternnoon and by the time 2 X 3k rigs and an 8k rig have been set up and sound tested there is little time to do anything else. We do of course act as the first port of call when the room is too hot, too cold, too dark, not enough barstaff, drinks too pricey, no toilet rolls in the ladies, bulbs out in the toilets etc etc and thats how it should be no question. But all promoters would love to have a top notch venue where everything is A1 unfortunately venues like that don't exist God knows I've looked for one.

So give us promoters a break we respond to issues when we can but there are many things we can do nothing about no matter how hard we try.

Social source share

link

Hi Alison, I also judge the dancefloor too!

Social source share

Have You been to 100 Club, the toilets are the worst on the planet!, but I hear they've been done up :D

link

Yep, I remember the days when you tried to get in there as soon as pos. just to make sure you got some toilet roll and that the bog flushed!! They were the days!

Social source share

edited cos I got BIGSOULMAN mixed up with BIGBOY.... must be the imaginative choice of ID LOL

WOOF!

link

No the toilets are Scenesville venue opp. Kings X were lovely, massive, had stools to sit on, never wanted to leave !!

Social source share

I find the markings quite helpful towards the end of the night, if someone get's too close dancing you can tell them if they step over the line's that the line lions will eat them, usually find it works quite well, or they run away  :D

Toilets agree with Ali on both accounts, aqua and dome.

100 club toilets were never that bad IMO and now are rather smart, men and ladies as a few months ago Karen and I did an inspection of the men's toilet decor downt he 100 club  :lol:

link

Janine unless you held your nose you couldn't venture in there! I remember when I helped Brummie Mick out with putting toilet rolls in there, I threw them in and ran for cover!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Worst venue is any venue where the dance floor has the markings of a badminton court.

link

Ahh Hinckley...

"Call me on the hotline, I'll be there"

NOT AGAIN :lol:

Great memories :D

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Scenesville had to relocate for one night, when Camden was unavailable. It ended up at the Limehouse(?). Room provided was a glorified squash court, the staff took the piss all night long. F*****g pits it was. :lol:

Bogs were alright though :D

link

PMSL that was a right dump like a village hall wasn't it? I think we were supposed to be in the nicer room overlooking the river but the complete gits booked it for an office Christmas party instead. There was a massive hole under the decks as well (I dropped my lighter in it and had to climb down to retrieve it).

I remember the twat manager from the place with a fag and a beer on the dancefloor taking the piss out of the way Shaun Adams was dancing. If only Shaun had turned round. :P:D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

PMSL that was a right dump like a village hall wasn't it?  I think we were supposed to be in the nicer room overlooking the river but the complete gits booked it for an office Christmas party instead.  There was a massive hole under the decks as well (I dropped my lighter in it and had to climb down to retrieve it). 

I remember the twat manager from the place with a fag and a beer on the dancefloor taking the piss out of the way Shaun Adams was dancing.  If only Shaun had turned round. :lol:   :D

link

What was the place on the Old Kent Road, where Rob ran a one off allnighter?

The bouncers spent the whole night walking across the dancefloor, bumping in to people, and trying to start a fight. When they realised they werent going to get any bites, they decided to throw Rob Messer out in the middle of his spot cos he told a girl off for burning a hole in one of Tricksters Hawaiian shirts.

I left after that. Blinkin intimidating trying to get a taxi at 5 in the morning, in that part of the world. :P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!