Who Wouldn't You Play

Guest dundeedavie

Guest dundeedavie

following on from the elvis conversation ....

you hear a tune and you like it , but then you find out the artist doesn't exactly have credibility on the soul scene ...do you baulk at playing it or do you go by your ears .

it's obvious that i would play it (previous set lists have shown a certain ...erm unpredictability in that sense lol ) and it is also obvious that some people would allow pre-conceptions ( resisting the word snobbery) to cloud their judgement on a tune ...

so the question is where to you stand ?? whistling.gif

Davie

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

you hear a tune and you like it , but then you find out the artist doesn't exactly have credibility on the soul scene ...do you baulk at playing it or do you go by your ears .

it's obvious that i would play it (previous set lists have shown a certain ...erm unpredictability in that sense lol ) and it is also obvious that some people would allow pre-conceptions ( resisting the word snobbery) to cloud their judgement on a tune ...

so the question is where to you stand ??  shades.gif

Davie

link

Well Davie i've only ever judged music with my ears, so if it sounds up to the task, then the baby would be in my box. whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Any artist with name with a prefix, ie Screaming, Fat, Howling, Blind, Big, Little (there are exception to the "little" rule) etc.....just sounds too Swampy for my tastes.

I think I'd  also give Girls Aloud a miss  whistling.gif

link

hmmm i'm likely to play anyone WITH a prefix lolol

and ali i think you know by now if girls aloud done a tune i could get away with i'd bloody play it hahahahaha

Davie

ps only kidding

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Well Davie i've only ever judged music with my ears, so if it sounds up to the task, then the baby would be in my box. whistling.gif

link

I agree with your sentiments there Brett , If the track is good enough the credibility of the artist shoul'nt matter -

Credibility is a hard thing to define , particularly on a scene such as ours were certain artists have vast cannons of work

Social source share

so the question is where to you stand ??  whistling.gif

Davie

link

With the Elvis track I would go by my ears, and not play it. I actually love Elvis, the only other artist I listen to outside of soul so not just saying this cause it's an Elvis track.

Must be desperate to be different if you have to resort to Elvis as well IMHO. There is so much unknown/forgotten, lesser/semi known soul/northern soul out there that can be played to make you different from other DJ's, not just expensive but 100's of cheap 45's.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

A Lulu track gets played in the modern rooms,what a great dancer it is too!

link

Honestly , I 'd love to hear it , Any chance of a soundfile ?

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

isnt there a track on ebay by dolly parton that keeps gettrng mentioned as a northern soul track , whats that all about listed around 50 75 quid !!!!!!

link

Yeah Carl W plays it ! - Not very good , prefer Jolene any day whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

With the Elvis track I would go by my ears, and not play it.  I actually love Elvis, the only other artist I listen to outside of soul so not just saying this cause it's an Elvis track. 

Must be desperate to be different if you have to resort to Elvis as well IMHO.  There is so much unknown/forgotten, lesser/semi known soul/northern soul out there that can be played to make you different from other DJ's,  not just expensive but 100's of cheap 45's.

link

"desperate to be different " whistling.gif not at all ...i'd love to play the same style of tunes everyone does but i'm afraid i can only be true to myself and no one else ....now maybe that makes what i play different ..not ashamed of that and i ain't gonna apologise for not fitting in with your ideas...

as for resorting to playing elvis i had another 70-odd tracks wih me apart from the 25-26 i played so i didn't RESORT to playing anything ..

my only concern is ..did people dance and enjoy it? ...YES... did they come up and ask about it ? ....YES ... and as i was DJ'ing for THEM and not YOU your opinion don't count for much on this particular matter ..commenting on the track is one thing but referring to me as being "desperate " is a little insulting

Davie

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

"desperate to be different "      shades.gif not at all ...i'd love to play the same style of tunes everyone does but i'm afraid i can only be true to myself and no one else ....now maybe that makes what i play different ..not ashamed of that and i ain't gonna apologise for not fitting in with your ideas...

as for resorting to playing elvis i had another 70-odd tracks wih me apart from the 25-26 i played so i didn't RESORT to playing anything ..

my only concern is ..did people dance and enjoy it? ...YES...  did they come up and ask about it ? ....YES ... and as i was DJ'ing for THEM and not YOU your opinion don't count for much on this particular matter ..commenting on the track is one thing but referring to me as being "desperate " is a little insulting

Davie

link

Its all about opinion and bottle - Trying something different should never be scorned at but applauded whistling.gif

Social source share

"desperate to be different "      whistling.gif not at all ...i'd love to play the same style of tunes everyone does but i'm afraid i can only be true to myself and no one else ....now maybe that makes what i play different ..not ashamed of that and i ain't gonna apologise for not fitting in with your ideas...

my only concern is ..did people dance and enjoy it? ...YES...  did they come up and ask about it ? ....YES ... and as i was DJ'ing for THEM and not YOU your opinion don't count for much on this particular matter ..commenting on the track is one thing but referring to me as being "desperate " is a little insulting

Davie

link

If my opinion doesn't count then why ask what I wouldn't play or anyone else for that matter who wishes to comment? As this topic relates directly to the Elvis track you played you are going to get a comment or two shades.gif

If you don't want my opinion don't ask :thumbsup: if I have one you will get it whether you like it or not shhh.gif:D

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

If my opinion doesn't count then why ask what I wouldn't play or anyone else for that matter who wishes to comment?

If you don't want my opinion don't ask  shades.gif   if I have one you will get it whether you like it or not  whistling.gif   shhh.gif

link

i wasn't saying your opinion on the track doesn't matter ...you've given that on every forum i'm on i think , i said that in my mind the opinion of the punters i played it for counts for more ...

i said at the end commenting on the track is fair enough , and i'm big enough to take criticism on anything i play

HOWEVER

accusing me of being desperate to be different wasn't nice and i don't think i deserved it

Davie

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

The desperate comment wasn't aimed at you directly, it's aimed at anyone who has to resort to Elvis, Dolly f***** Parton or bloody Lulu.  whistling.gif

link

fair enough ...i'll accept that .... i don't see it as anything but playing a tune i liked.

i would imagine the same way you listen to tunes ..the difference is i don't care who sings them if they fit what i want

Davie

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

What about Dusty Springfield?

Prefer her version of 'What's It Gonna Be' and she did a pretty good version of 'Bring Him Back'

link

and" haunted" and "don't forget about me" are brilliant .....played both them out as well

Davie

Social source share

..............................bloody Lulu.  whistling.gif

link

why does anyone play Lulu's 'Leave a little love' when you can resort to the queen herself, Patti Austin :good:

personally, I can't understand why George Burley insists on keep playing that Marco Reich thing. Idle german effer :diablo:

Social source share

Go on.......

Or what about the Welsh Sex God....... Tom Jones.

His version of 'I Just Can't Break The News' pisses all over Ben E Kings from a great height.

Discuss.

WOOF!

link

shhh.gif:thumbsup::Dshades.gif

It would be boring if we liked the same stuff...for a start we'd have sod all to argue about whistling.gif

Edited by chalky
Social source share

why does anyone play Lulu's 'Leave a little love' when you can resort to the queen herself, Patti Austin :good:

personally, I can't understand why George Burley insists on keep playing that Marco Reich thing. Idle german effer :diablo:

link

cos lulu's version is ace! patti austins version is ace too but lulu has the edge. come on mate there isnt much in it. its a fantastic attempt by the annoying little ginger scot!

shane

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Go on.......

His version of 'I Just Can't Break The News' pisses all over Ben E Kings from a great height.

Discuss.

WOOF!

link

i'm warming to you ...if i had of remembered it i would have played that on saturday as well but i forgot it ...SUPERB tune :D

Davie

Social source share

cos lulu's version is ace! patti austins version is ace too but lulu has the edge. come on mate there isnt much in it. its a fantastic attempt by the annoying little ginger scot!

shane

link

Annoying little ginger scot, couldn't have put that better myself :D:D However has the edge over Patti, are you still suffering from the excess of Saturday night :lol::P

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

shane

link

Oi my kids are annoying little ginger scots lolol :D

Davie

Social source share

Annoying little  ginger scot, couldn't have put that better myself  :D   :D   However has the edge over Patti, are you still suffering from the excess of Saturday night :lol:   :P

link

chalky mate I wasnt there at lifeline on saturday. wish i was but i had a birthday bash for a friend in sheffield. will be at the next one for sure.

seeing as you are mr hard-drive! why dont you post up patti and lulu for the public to decide. i love them both but my money is on that bird who likes to SHOUT!

:D

Shane

Social source share

I wouldn't NOT play something just because of who the artist was (played the odd Dusty track sometimes, 'Here She Comes' I think is great). But I do think there can be the temptation to play a track JUST because it's a different version or for 'surprise value' rather than on its own merits and with particularly distinctive voices I'm not sure they always blend well with the more 'conventional' (for want of a better word) soul tracks.

Social source share

Go on.......

Discuss.

WOOF!

link

Disagree, it's not bad but it sounds like he is trying to sound like Ben E King!

Oh and the backing is a bit lounge-singer-ish :D

Edited by rachel
Social source share

chalky mate I wasnt there at lifeline on saturday. wish i was but i had a birthday bash for a friend in sheffield. will be at the next one for sure.

seeing as you are mr hard-drive! why dont you post up patti and lulu for the public to decide. i love them both but my money is on that bird who likes to SHOUT!

:P

Shane

link

I know you wasn't there, you was drunk in Sheffield so I was told :D I asked if you are still sufferiing cause I think it may have clouded your judgement regarding Lulu or Patti :D:D

Haven' t got Lulu version on PC but here's Patti's effort which pisses all over Lulu IMHO :lol::D

Social source share

I know you wasn't there, you was drunk in Sheffield so I was told  :D   I asked if you are still sufferiing cause I think it may have clouded your judgement regarding Lulu or Patti  :D   :P

Haven' t got Lulu version on PC but here's Patti's effort which pisses all over Lulu IMHO  :lol:   :D

link

i forgot you only had 'quality soul'

prestatyn chalky?

i think we should do another roll call. i like those.

Social source share

Ben E Kings vocal is as weak as old womens tea.  thmbdn.gif

Good Old Tom belts it out with conviction.  :D  

Must have Scotch pies stuck in yer ears!    :P

WOOF!

link

Wondered where the bits of pastry were coming from.... :lol:

TOM

BEN

Social source share

No fraid not (well actually dunno if fraid or not as I've never heard it!)  :D

link

its great rachel. take my word for it. dont listen to chalky. he is wrong on this one. :lol:

Social source share

If presley has a place in the "modern" soul scene then I don't think I'll bother. I have heard all the crap abouth the sounds played now are more soulful than in the Wigan era. I think there is such a lot of selective "right on soulfulness" that it can make a mockerey of enjoyment of a scene that consists of a love of predominantly soulful dance sounds.

Paul

Social source share

If presley has a place in the "modern" soul scene then I don't think I'll bother.  I have heard all the crap abouth the sounds played now are more soulful than in the Wigan era. I think there is such a lot of selective "right on soulfulness" that it can make a mockerey  of enjoyment of a scene that consists of a love of predominantly soulful dance sounds.

Paul

link

have you heard the said tune Paul?

i haven't but i could never pass judgement on something until i have heard it.

apart from maybe Michael Barrymore or something as stupid as that. :D

shane

Social source share

nothing's out of bounds for us ....... if it can stand up as a decent dancefloor track .... tom jones ... elvis ... peggy lee ...... sandie shaw ..... lulu ..... cliff ..... cilla ..... some good tracks from that motley crew.

link

cliff?

at least you get better weather on the south coast :D

shane

Social source share

If presley has a place in the "modern" soul scene then I don't think I'll bother.  I have heard all the crap abouth the sounds played now are more soulful than in the Wigan era. I think there is such a lot of selective "right on soulfulness" that it can make a mockerey  of enjoyment of a scene that consists of a love of predominantly soulful dance sounds.

Paul

link

:D

have you heard the said tune Paul?

i haven't but i could never pass judgement on something until i have heard it.

apart from maybe Michael Barrymore or something as stupid as that.  :lol:

shane

link

Posted the soundfile in sounds under whatya reckon

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!