Records That Sound The Same

Guest Bearsy

After reading in the wants section about The Parisians and The Traditions (twinkle twinkle little star) possibly being the same group/artist does anyone know for sure if they are the very same people but under a different group title ?

also does anyone know if The Saints and The Uptones (Ive been taken for a ride) are the same group but different name ?

are there any other records out there you think are by the same group but they might have a different group name for the recording,

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

people tell me that Modern soul all sounds the same , of course they only like 60's :rolleyes:

Simon like i told you on Saturday, modern soul is created by one bloke sitting at a computer and just adding different sounds as he goes along :wave:

woo woo chika chika woo woo

Social source share

After reading in the wants section about The Parisians and The Traditions (twinkle twinkle little star) possibly being the same group/artist does anyone know for sure if they are the very same people but under a different group title ?

also does anyone know if The Saints and The Uptones (Ive been taken for a ride) are the same group but different name ?

are there any other records out there you think are by the same group but they might have a different group name for the recording,

Jay Poole - I Love You - Mabel and Maestro and Company - I Love You - Love are the exect same song and take can't find any info on the release on the Love Label, other than Jason Perlmutter listing it on his carolinas soul site and guess this is much rarer. I may have to start giving this a spin out :rolleyes:

Social source share

"Simon like i told you on Saturday, modern soul is created by one bloke sitting at a computer and just adding different sounds as he goes along"

So Bearsy has stumbled upon the awful truth.

I did in fact track the guy down back in 1993. His name is Cyrus D. Smallpecker and he's a fat balding used car salesman from Ohio with as he said a finger on the pulse of what fat balding used car salesmen in the UK want to hear. As you'd expect he lived with his mother,had never had a girlfriend and had serious hygeine problems.

His mother had tried to strangle him at birth but he'd hastily knocked up a tune and lulled her to sleep so he could make good his escape.

When I met him he was in the final stages of quality control on his latest opus. This entailed borrowing his mother's handbag and if he was moved to dance around it, then he knew he had a winner.

As I whipped out my AK-47, just one of two fearsome weapons I have upon my person, he managed to get to the decks and put a needle to the groove. When I woke up he was gone. In his haste he'd left his Frankenstein productions lying around. I of course set fire to them which explains the rarity of some modern 45s.

ROD

Social source share

Nice one Rod :rolleyes: but what about that LP Northern Soul 2007

RE: records sounding the same how about Four Tracks "Charade" and the Swiss Movement "I wish our love would last forever" and Joe Anderson " You and I" + Ed Summers "I can tell"

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

The Chosen Few and the Crown Four come to mind (Birth Of A Playboy) - not sure if they're the same bunch or not

The Crown Four, The Chosen Few and The Adventurers (on Blue Rock) were the same group (bar one member or so). The release of "Birth Of A Playboy" as The Crown Four on the LEE JOHN label was the first release of that song, it then appeared on both Maple and Canyon. It's the same recording on all three releases (but with punchier sound quality on Maple and Canyon).

Social source share

what about that LP Northern Soul 2007

Simon if you play it backwards besides the usual Black Mass incantations, you can clearly hear Levine say that at least he found a use for those tracks Take That turned down. I've just checked again and it is there, but unfortunately I've also raised Beelzebub who is demanding an offering. Cuppa tea and a hobnob will hopefully suffice.

What about Barbara English "Sitting in the corner" and Remarkables "Easily misled". Got the latter arriving soon and will put on my anal retentive collector hat and see if there's any connection between the two.

Im off. He wants a virgin. fat chance in Clitheroe!!

ROD

Social source share

Im in a good mood cos I plan on going fishing tomorrow. Only fly in the ointment is that the wife says she may come. She usually just ridicules my efforts. I've explained to her that most fisherman have had the hook in the back of their shirt or their line wrapped around a tree. OK, at the exact same time does take some doing. And how was I to know that my Ralph Lauren glasses would end up in the lake and cost me £210 to replace. A mistake anybody could make. Frankly comments such as "That's not very big" and "It's only a tiddler" I can do without as I get enough of that in the bedroom.

ROD

Social source share

Well those two share the same tune - Dave Jordan was behind them both - a legend of a producer!

If you get north of the Thames Simon you might hear me play the unissued version as well :rolleyes:

North of the Thames ... Ive just been to lLakeside Pc world m8 !! Dont want to hear it Steve , it must be formulised pap that sounds the same( like that mowtown pop 60's beat ) , but with some computer geezar producing it :wave::yes:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

"Simon like i told you on Saturday, modern soul is created by one bloke sitting at a computer and just adding different sounds as he goes along"

So Bearsy has stumbled upon the awful truth.

I did in fact track the guy down back in 1993. His name is Cyrus D. Smallpecker and he's a fat balding used car salesman from Ohio with as he said a finger on the pulse of what fat balding used car salesmen in the UK want to hear. As you'd expect he lived with his mother,had never had a girlfriend and had serious hygeine problems.

His mother had tried to strangle him at birth but he'd hastily knocked up a tune and lulled her to sleep so he could make good his escape.

When I met him he was in the final stages of quality control on his latest opus. This entailed borrowing his mother's handbag and if he was moved to dance around it, then he knew he had a winner.

As I whipped out my AK-47, just one of two fearsome weapons I have upon my person, he managed to get to the decks and put a needle to the groove. When I woke up he was gone. In his haste he'd left his Frankenstein productions lying around. I of course set fire to them which explains the rarity of some modern 45s.

ROD

:wave: thats sounds like Simons life, is it true Simon :rolleyes:

Social source share

:lol: thats sounds like Simons life, is it true Simon :huh:

Well I do have Studio software and I did venture into a proper studio twice , but Ive never sold any motors , just some 60's records with a stompy beat plus Rod's never set fire to any Modern soul records as far as I know , he has actually sold loads of em :)ph34r.gif

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Right I got the Remarkables today and have compared with Barbara English and whilst not quite as similar as I remember the catchy instr. intro at beginning of English 45 does seem to also be almost identical to parts of the Remarkables. Different writers,producers etc.

Fishing was awful. Nothing bigger than a couple of ounces and I lost my wedding ring. My wife says that this does not mean we are now divorced so every cloud doesn't have a silver lining.

Simon, I noticed Soulful Saint on "Mastermind" thread. Where was he when I needed a virgin.

ROD

Social source share

Right I got the Remarkables today and have compared with Barbara English and whilst not quite as similar as I remember the catchy instr. intro at beginning of English 45 does seem to also be almost identical to parts of the Remarkables. Different writers,producers etc.

Fishing was awful. Nothing bigger than a couple of ounces and I lost my wedding ring. My wife says that this does not mean we are now divorced so every cloud doesn't have a silver lining.

Simon, I noticed Soulful Saint on "Mastermind" thread. Where was he when I needed a virgin.

ROD

Bugger me Rod that's your glasses and the ring in two weeks lost.......what next? your wedding tackle!!!lol still you have a nice new hair cut from Mrs Bicknell.

See you at the weekend.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Obviously Mark my wedding tackle is secure as it would be hard to misplace such a large array. Im very very pleased with my haircut which is why I've agreed to babysit the Antichrist this Friday whilst you and Jackie have a night out. I think social workers term this small break "Respite". He does look a little cherub but then so did Charles Manson at his age.

Make sure he's heavily sedated and all straps are secure please.

Simon, Im sure the Saint had a productive time in France as his French is limited to "Voulez-vous couche avec moir ce soire" which he picked up from having the Nanette Workman modern soul version of Labelle 45. Im sure even he can understand "Non, Im washing my book tonight cos my cat died [in French of course!!].

It must be difficult for him. "Shall we have sex tonight,darling" and he whips out his Grapevine re-issue.

Back on topic. Have either of you noticed the similarity in the two tracks I mentioned or have neither of you got any good 45s.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Yes now you mention it. It's the little riff when Holman 45 starts. I guess there's only so many combination of notes you can use writing a tune and maybe it's just coincidence that your example and mine have a riff in common but can't help thinking that Northern 45s are extremely catchy and whose to say these writers/composers didn't get to hear things on the radio that stuck in their heads.

Im not saying they copied but it was just there.

Im certain I've got the odd 45 where you can hear bits of old standards such as Mary Wells "Dear Lover" ,the mid instr break is deffo something I recognise and Im sure another uses "Theme from a Summer Place" as the mid break. Can't remember which one though.

Simon will recall "Summer Place" . He's probably still got the 70's disco version they used to play at the Mecca. It coulda been a re-working by Percy Faith. I quite liked it!!

ROD

Social source share

Forriss Woods "Stoned On Love" on Abbot and David Morris "Stoned On Love" on Radnor are exactly the same cut.

The David Morris has a dancer on the flip though.

A morris dancer, not sure how ell that would go down :ohmy:

Social source share

ROD

...not the first ring you've compromised if I remember the toilets at the Mecca...ah those were the days when modern versus sixties could start a war...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!