Solo Or Social? Northern Soul Best Shared Or Alone?

Is Northern/Rare Soul best shared and enjoyed together at a venue or can you get the same out of it alone? Is there the same feeling there if you are playing records alone at home? or is the best experence had with a room full of like minded people?, I don't go to as many venues as I once did for various reasons but I still get a thrill and a huge amount of pleasure from the collecting side of things, it's nice to be able to share the music whenever possible but personally the effect is the same for me when playing tunes at home, sure the social side of the scene is very important but does playing records at the venues make them sound any better or different away from the dance floors?

Do some tunes lose their impact away from the venues? personally a good record is a good record no matter where you play it IMO.

From a DJ perspective it's nice to get a room full of people up dancing but do you feel you have any less passion for the music away from that situation? or is this music simply based around and dance floor driven?

I just got a couple of new tunes today and had a few nice very rewarding moments playing them, is this scene and it's music about personal satisfaction or is it simply about the bigger picture?

Soul music I think is a very personal thing, sure to be shared but most importantly to be enjoyed and cheerished so again does it matter if you do this alone or with somebody?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Is Northern/Rare Soul best shared and enjoyed together at a venue or can you get the same out of it alone? Is there the same feeling there if you are playing records alone at home? or is the best experence had with a room full of like minded people?, I don't go to as many venues as I once did for various reasons but I still get a thrill and a huge amount of pleasure from the collecting side of things, it's nice to be able to share the music whenever possible but personally the effect is the same for me when playing tunes at home, sure the social side of the scene is very important but does playing records at the venues make them sound any better or different away from the dance floors?

Do some tunes lose their impact away from the venues? personally a good record is a good record no matter where you play it IMO.

From a DJ perspective it's nice to get a room full of people up dancing but do you feel you have any less passion for the music away from that situation? or is this music simply based around and dance floor driven?

I just got a couple of new tunes today and had a few nice very rewarding moments playing them, is this scene and it's music about personal satisfaction or is it simply about the bigger picture?

Soul music I think is a very personal thing, sure to be shared but most importantly to be enjoyed and cheerished so again does it matter if you do this alone or with somebody?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I my opinion ( wrongly or rightly) it is both. Soul can move one person as it can move a room full. I love sitting listening to some deep soul whilst working, amongst other things. Believe me some tracks hit you right were it hurts.

I also love collecting and listening to the tracks at home. (KIDS means I dont get out and about much) But there is also something magical about a room full of people sharing a moment of pure soulful appreciation of a track.

So there you go firmly in the middle.But you are right mark, a good track is still good wherever it is played. There are some that are great and when played out on a big sound system are fantastic.

cheers Mark.

Social source share

I enjoy listening to most soul records at home but i get most pleasure from listening to them with the volume cranked up(the sound only a big hall can give) and seeing the reaction to the crowd on the floor when a top tune is played.

If you know what i mean :rolleyes: .

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I think it comes down to passion. It's fair to say that the scene evokes a huge amount of passion over it's huge spectrum. From going to events, searching for records, buying records, listening to records when you're out or at home, right down to the debates we've all read and taken part in on this site. I've often wondered if other 'scenes' have the same passion?! One that always springs to mind is stamp collecting, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at a stamp collectors gathering to see if they have the same passion as we folk do when at soul nites. You know the look on folks faces when they find a record they've been after for ages or their favorite tune gets spun, it's just special. For me, I've not been to a 'do' for years but love buying and listening to tunes but if i'm honest i do miss the social side of things.

I sat this morining clearing out some LP's and 'discovering' lp's i had fogotten about so now i'm going to listen to them and put some stuff over to mp3, how satisfying.

I think personal satisfaction in this scene is the bigger picture.

gary

Social source share

I love playing stuff indoors but its not the same.. indoors I listern to the words dance round the front room in my socks and enjoy it.. quite oftern cut the end of so I can playthe next record..

but and I mean BUT.. when your out and the dj put some thing on and the floor fills up and your part of that .. then to me thats what its all about..

I remember one night at Bisley and the dj played Willie Mitchell - and the whole floor was stomping away it felt like the whole of Bisley was on that dance floor with me, in fact it felt like the whole of Hampshire was on that dance floor with me.. maybe not the greatest record, I wouldn't even list it in my top 1000... but it was the greatest feeling I have every had on a dance floor.. and to me that is what its all about..

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

I think it surely depends on your own personality, whether you need that intreaction with other people or not. It's interesting though, cos we're all obviously slightly removed from the mainstream of society purely by the fact that we are into this scene, so perhaps that makes us all a bit anti-social. Then again there must be people who love this type of music and aren't even aware of the scene at all.

I personally need to hear the tunes played out (regularly !) and when I play them at home I have to play them loud and dance round the front room. I love listening to music at home, when I'm working or on the road, and it's not always soul-but soul music is the only music that makes my feet want to dance.

Social source share

Mark

There are nine questions in your original post :rolleyes:

Personally I like both - love the social side at venues, but also love playing tunes at home as well. At home yesterday I played a tune three times in a row - can't really do that at a venue (though seem to recall Richard doing it once at Wigan with Phil Lowman "Rock me").

Similarly I love blasting stuff out of the speakers in the car as well....so I don't see it as an either or, but a "both".

Steve

Social source share

I think it comes down to passion. It's fair to say that the scene evokes a huge amount of passion over it's huge spectrum. From going to events, searching for records, buying records, listening to records when you're out or at home, right down to the debates we've all read and taken part in on this site. I've often wondered if other 'scenes' have the same passion?! One that always springs to mind is stamp collecting, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at a stamp collectors gathering to see if they have the same passion as we folk do when at soul nites. You know the look on folks faces when they find a record they've been after for ages or their favorite tune gets spun, it's just special. For me, I've not been to a 'do' for years but love buying and listening to tunes but if i'm honest i do miss the social side of things.

I sat this morining clearing out some LP's and 'discovering' lp's i had fogotten about so now i'm going to listen to them and put some stuff over to mp3, how satisfying.

I think personal satisfaction in this scene is the bigger picture.

gary

Same for me too really Gary :rolleyes: Do miss the social side very much, but it's always been the music first for me & it still gives me enormous pleasure, be it collecting or listening.

Social source share

as with all of the above its both for me too..lucky enough to have a room at home with two decks and surrounded by vinyl and after over 30 years of collecting still get a buzz from physically playing a tune ,which is one reason why cds never do it for me its just not the same but thats not just soul.....then with going out you got the buzz of chatting endlessly with like minded souls,watching the faces of people getting the same feelings on the dancefloor or having a conversation cut short by either you or the other person apologising and running to the floor when a certain tune is played...GREAT !!

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

As a common old garden punter, not a DJ or any kind of serious collector i must say this, When your out at a 'do' on the dancefloor with a crowd of people all feeling a tune, singing their hearts out and moving to the music there is no feeling in the world like it IMVHO.

Yes it's good to put the headphones on and fill your mind with a great sound but, i've never really connected with a tune unless ive danced to it and shared the experience of feeling it. Nothing i could do in the privacy of my own home could compare to that.

Just my opinion of course

Helen

XXXX

Social source share

As a common old garden punter, not a DJ or any kind of serious collector i must say this, When your out at a 'do' on the dancefloor with a crowd of people all feeling a tune, singing their hearts out and moving to the music there is no feeling in the world like it IMVHO.

Yes it's good to put the headphones on and fill your mind with a great sound but, i've never really connected with a tune unless ive danced to it and shared the experience of feeling it. Nothing i could do in the privacy of my own home could compare to that.

Just my opinion of course

Helen

XXXX

Like Helen I am just an ordinary punter, and although I have a very small collection of vinyl which I do play at home, I think because I live on my own the social side is key to me...........it's the sharing something special with other like minded people can be something quite emotional at times.

QoFxx

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

It makes no difference to me Mark.... as you say, a good tune IS a good tune.... irrespective....

That said, the "social" side with "like minded people" does have it's many advantages but so does listening at home.... for one, you can put on what you want on rather than waiting and hoping it gets played when out....

On thinking how "special" this music is to "us" gets me thinking.... I also find that when your on distant shores soaking up the sun and having "soul" pumped into your ears via an mp3 player, or whatever, that it gives you a warm heart feeling of being "special" as you're hearing "special tunes", whilst supping on long cold beers and watching the girls walk by of course :rolleyes: , that no other person around has got a clue about and wouldn't comprehend....

Unless of course by some strange quirk of fate another person's on the same beach at the same time doing the same thing and feeling the same way :wave: ....

Social source share

Sounds great at home for me Mark ! In the last few years Ive been to venues with very poor sound systems , so its spoilt it for me.... but the social side has saved the night smile.gif

I think your point about poor sound systems is spot on. In this year alone I have been to at least 4 different venues where the sound has been appalling - why does this constantly happen? Presumably some promoters are just hiring out a shit rig to save money but I know that technical faults can also occur.

Mark Chamberlin

Social source share

For me now ive got my new decks is better for me playing my tunes indoors with no one else around and just listen to them as loud as i can get away with, i can play what i want indoors without anyone moaning its to slow, fast, modern etc etc and they are all mine and all my taste too,

playing out is a great buzz but the biggest buzz is when the floor is full and people dancing to your taste in music, hairs on back of the neck time :huh:

Being a punter and hearing a quality tune you know or dont and you dance and sing along too with many others is another kind of buzz.

in general i just love to hear a tune anywhere with or without anyone around, its the music first and formost but i must admit the peole are a bit special too thumbup.gif

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

The answer for me Mark is both.

The buzz of getting up to a record that I love at a soul do or one that I think "this sounds good" and it is, is wonderful, but I also get hours of enjoyment from listening at home. Thank goodness for the 'tinternet' and of course The Soulclub Jukebox (and other sites).

Either way, as a 'returnee' (of around 6yrs now) I am hearing wonderful 'new to me' stuff all of the time!!!!!!! :D

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

I think perspectives can and do change. I have always loved listening to my sounds at home, in the car, wherever. I also used to love going out to venues and the social side of the scene. I used to love DJ'ing to share my sounds with others and occasionally show off.

Nowadays though, I think I would rather stick pins in my head than go to a venue. But I listen to my records as much as, if not more than, I ever did. And as I listen alone I choose the playlist :smile:

Phil

Social source share

Guest TonyCrampton

Like alot of people on here I've been collecting for along time and am very passionate about my music be it soul,funk ,jazz or blues. I remember living at home with my parents and getting a new tune,putting on the turntable and blasting it out as loud as I could because in my mind how could anybody not fall totally in love with it!!!

The reallity of it was that I would get my Dad bawling upstairs to turn that bloody racket down as it would upset the neighbours,so on would go the headphones and I'd be sat there shuffling my feet instead of bouncing round my bedroom like a mental thing!

Next came the D.J thing which was o.k,but how frustrating having to play to the crowd or suffer the empty floor syndrome.Having gave that up I still continue to collect records and do enjoy playing to myself at home,Still with the headphones on though,so as not to wake the littleun or disturb the neighbours but now I D.J on an internet station and play what I want which is brilliant and there is no pressure of having to get people to dance, Even better!!

So to sum it up IMO its nice to play stuff at home but even better to play to an audience of people that appreciate it.

Cheers Tony

Social source share

Like alot of people on here I've been collecting for along time and am very passionate about my music be it soul,funk ,jazz or blues. I remember living at home with my parents and getting a new tune,putting on the turntable and blasting it out as loud as I could because in my mind how could anybody not fall totally in love with it!!!

The reallity of it was that I would get my Dad bawling upstairs to turn that bloody racket down as it would upset the neighbours,so on would go the headphones and I'd be sat there shuffling my feet instead of bouncing round my bedroom like a mental thing!

Next came the D.J thing which was o.k,but how frustrating having to play to the crowd or suffer the empty floor syndrome.Having gave that up I still continue to collect records and do enjoy playing to myself at home,Still with the headphones on though,so as not to wake the littleun or disturb the neighbours but now I D.J on an internet station and play what I want which is brilliant and there is no pressure of having to get people to dance, Even better!!

So to sum it up IMO its nice to play stuff at home but even better to play to an audience of people that appreciate it.

Cheers Tony

Spent about an hour DJing by myself in an empty room in the back of the 3 Cocks in Kettering yesterday afternoon and it sounded GREAT!!!! And I could play exactly what I wanted without the need to please anyone else cos what I'm playing is either too modern. too fast or too R&B.

My husband, Trev, DJ's downstairs for me while I have a soak on a Friday night before heading off for some do or other, and thats great too.

BUT, the buzz you get when you're on the dance floor (somewhere like Skeggy or Bridlington or Blackpool tower ballroom), surrounded by friends all dancing, smiling and singing along is UNBEATABLE!!!!!!! Better than any drug.

Social, social, social, everytime. Get out and get on the floor as soon as you can. Your life depends on it. :sleep3:

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Its like sex Mark,many times its good behind closed doors alone :thumbsup: ,sometimes you want to have a group session and pop out to a venue...A bit of both shall we say :rolleyes:

Social source share

The Atmosphere is obviously better in a full venue where the music is quality and the dancefloor full etc, etc, but any soul is better than no soul, except;

I have been told many time to shut the f%4£ up when singing along to my ipod and only I can hear the music. This is down to 2 main reasons, I cant sing, and I get the words wrong. In this case a solo experience is better like listening and singing to soul in the car on a long journey.

Ed

Social source share

The Atmosphere is obviously better in a full venue where the music is quality and the dancefloor full etc, etc, but any soul is better than no soul, except;

I have been told many time to shut the f%4£ up when singing along to my ipod and only I can hear the music. This is down to 2 main reasons, I cant sing, and I get the words wrong. In this case a solo experience is better like listening and singing to soul in the car on a long journey.

Ed

I do the shopping at tesco and always take me ipod and i do get some strange looks when that certain part of a tune kicks in and you just cant help yourself and sing out loud to it, fooking awsome :rolleyes:

Social source share

I do the shopping at tesco and always take me ipod and i do get some strange looks when that certain part of a tune kicks in and you just cant help yourself and sing out loud to it, fooking awsome :boxing:

I bet people give u strange looks when you sing the below lyrics Bearsy :rolleyes::thumbsup:laugh.giflaugh.gif

"You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen

Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life

See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the dancing queen"

Social source share

Seems like the passion flows if home alone or out there with somebody...soul it's a wonderful feeling ain't it?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

It certainly does Mark, ive just been spinning a few and just cant help singing along to them and they sound just as good as when played out, soul is soul no matter where you are, unless of course you got your ipod on when standing in front of a judge waiting to get sentenced and you burst into song, that could be silly :thumbsup:

why did i write that i dont know but i would imagine it still sounds as good but might not be a good time to be listening to the music for the fear of getting a bigger fine or sentence especially if the judge is into heavy metal laugh.gif

i need to get a job :rolleyes:

Social source share

I bet people give u strange looks when you sing the below lyrics Bearsy :thumbsup:laugh.giflaugh.gif:boxing:

"You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen

Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life

See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the dancing queen"

you know the words Si not me :boxing: you disco queen :rolleyes:

Social source share

Seems like the passion flows if home alone or out there with somebody...soul it's a wonderful feeling ain't it?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Best feeling for me is when you hear something new or forgotten thats great!! ,( thats probably why I remember Stafford and Rock City Notts niters , more than the well attended nights of the 80's)

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert