Soulcast's Jim Demetriou Passes Away

It is with deep regret that I have to inform Soul Source members of the passing of Soulcast's Jim Demetriou. Jim, who ran and broadcast his online soul shows for a number of years, passed away today, Wednesday 19th September 2007, around 6:30pm.

Jim had been battling against cancer for so many years. At the beginning of this year, with his condition worsening, and with hopes pinned on the advances in medical science, he underwent a stem cell transplant. This, it was hoped, would send his cancer into remission.

It was a risky and traumatic process, but one he could not avoid. However, the process was perhaps even more taxing than even Jim had expected and over the months he grew weaker. The last few weeks his condition deteriorated and he had to go back into hospital.

I don't know any real details as yet, I received a phone call from his brother Chris, this evening and, well, couldn't quite take it all in.

Beyond Soulcast, Jim was, with out a doubt, an exceptional man. He never had an axe to grind, didn't have a bad word to say about anyone and, even through his illness, always had an optimistic view of the world. Spiritually honest and with a great force of integrity, he believed that the world was intrinsically good and was there to be enjoyed. He was one of the life's few genuine nice guys.

Having been fortunate to have had him as a best friend for just over 20 years, I will miss him - I already do and I know that so many others will too.

If as and when I have any more information I'll post it. Likewise, if others have more than my sketchy details to offer, please do so.

Russell Gilbert

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

How terribly terribly sad.....I always hoped he was going to beat the Cancer however much against the odds and can't believe I will not see him again.

What a lovely and gentle man he was... a paragon of good manners and kind demeanour, I never heard a bad word said against him and I feel absolutely certain there never could have been, such was his sweet nature.

This is a very sad day indeed....R.I.P Jim.

x

Social source share

It seems so terribly sad to have to refer to Jim in the past tense. He was as everyone else has said a wonderful human being, whose optimism and fairmindedness shone through all the travails of the last few years of his life. Jim had a deep and abiding love of music and I feel privileged to have known him.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

I echo every single word of praise said about him. He was an example to everyone on how to live life; optimistic, positive and loving every minute of it that he could.

I made him our first punter of the month on the 6TS web site purely because he was the ideal attendee at any event for all the qualities listed and for dancing like a whirling dervish all night. He could make the sparsest of nights look busy.

My condolences go to his family and all his many good friends who have helped him through his last few tough years. If there's anything we can do to commemorate him on the 6TS site, please just ask. It's hard to believe we'll never see him again.

Ady

Social source share

Sad news

Only knew Jim via emails from around the time he started up Soulcast, can remember his enthusiasm for the music along with the Soulcast project coming through strongly

Thoughts go out to his family and friends

The soulcast site is still up, dont think any of the radio shows are still available on there though, but there's guestlists, playlist and more still up there

mike

https://www.soulcast.co.uk/

Social source share

I'm not sure what to say. Even when someone is extremely ill, you never truly expect that one day they wont be around any more. I'm sure that in some way he will still be whizzing around the dancefloors of all the soul doos.

Social source share

I saw Jim at the end of last week and he was, as usual, in incredibly good spirits. He was having good days and bad days, and when good he was always up for getting out of house and living his life, and he refused to dwell on his illness. Things seemed to take a turn for the worse at the weekend. He went into hospital, which at first seemed routine, but he must have deteriorated very rapidly. I spoke to him on Sunday and he said that he didn't have the energy to cope with visitors and it was clear that something bad was happening. He did say that the doctors were sedating him, so we can hope that his last few days weren't too painful. I don't know.

He was the first friend I ever made on the soul scene. When I eventually discovered that there actually were places to go that played this wonderful music, I went along by myself and just stood and listened, in awe, and it was Jim who befriended me and I couldn't have wished for a better soul mate. Now he's gone it sounds like a bit of a cliche to say what a nice guy he was bla bla bla but I honestly think I've never met a more decent human being. As Russell said, in coming up for 20 years I don't think I ever heard him say a bad word about anyone.

So long Souljer. Love ya.

Social source share

As others have said Jim never had a bad word to say about anyone and I've never heard a bad word said about Jim. He was an ardent supporter of the George Jackson! soul nights I helped promote and it was always a pleasure to see him walk down the stairs - you just knew it was going to be a good night as his enthusiasm and love of Soul music was infectious. His Soulcast shows were brilliant too.

I can't begin to imagine the sense of loss that his family and good friends are feeling right now. Rest in Peace, Jim.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Oh Russell, this is such sad news. As you've said, Jim didn't have a bad word to say about anyone. In fact, he seemed to me to be a man who never even had a bad thought about anyone, or anything.

When I last saw him at Xmas, he was talking about his dreams of going travelling for a while and was optimistic about the potential offered by the stem cell treatment....it's heartbreaking to know that it didn't work out for him in the end. I wish that I'd known how ill he'd been recently and had a chance to say some sort of goodbye. Though, I'm guessing that he was optimistic up to the last, so goodbye probably wasn't in his mindset.

You were indeed very fortunate to have him as a close friend. As Ady said, he gave us a great example of how to live life. I for one will try to take a few leaves from his book in his honour.

Please pass on my condolences to his family. I hope that they can take some strength from knowing about the levels of love and affection he inspired and the sadness that so many of us on here will be feeling. The world was a better place with him in it.

RIP Jim

Wendy xx

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

Several people have expressed their regret to me today about not saying goodbye because they didn't know he was so ill. But really, he didn't know himself. It was only yesterday that his family was told that his time might have come. Before that I don't think goodbyes would have gone down too well!

I've just had a long chat with Chris, Jim's brother. It sounds as if Jim was fairly out of it the last few days. Obviously we all hope things weren't too painful for him. At the very end he slipped away peacefully. The funeral will probably take place at the end of next week - at the moment Thursday is looking most likely, but that might change. It'll be near his home in Acton, I think, and everyone will be welcome.

A few of us are meeting up tomorrow anyway downstairs at the Green Man by Gt Portland St., where we're playing records and where Jim should have been, so we're bound to have a tearful drink in his honour and chat about what else we might do in his memory.

Social source share

It is with deep regret that I have to inform Soul Source members of the passing of Soulcast's Jim Demetriou. Jim, who ran and broadcast his online soul shows for a number of years, passed away today, Wednesday 19th September 2007, around 6:30pm.

Jim had been battling against cancer for so many years. At the beginning of this year, with his condition worsening, and with hopes pinned on the advances in medical science, he underwent a stem cell transplant. This, it was hoped, would send his cancer into remission.

It was a risky and traumatic process, but one he could not avoid. However, the process was perhaps even more taxing than even Jim had expected and over the months he grew weaker. The last few weeks his condition deteriorated and he had to go back into hospital.

I don't know any real details as yet, I received a phone call from his brother Chris, this evening and, well, couldn't quite take it all in.

Beyond Soulcast, Jim was, with out a doubt, an exceptional man. He never had an axe to grind, didn't have a bad word to say about anyone and, even through his illness, always had an optimistic view of the world. Spiritually honest and with a great force of integrity, he believed that the world was intrinsically good and was there to be enjoyed. He was one of the life's few genuine nice guys.

Having been fortunate to have had him as a best friend for just over 20 years, I will miss him - I already do and I know that so many others will too.

If as and when I have any more information I'll post it. Likewise, if others have more than my sketchy details to offer, please do so.

Russell Gilbert

Same as Karen Heath, he was such a lovely man, it was a few years ago now that I last saw him and I always hoped he would be able to beat the cancer. He didnt want a fuss so I didnt talk about it with him. It is so sad. I will also remember him dancing at the 100 club - by the doorway - with his lovely long black hair flowing - another good person who has gone too soon.

Karen B

Social source share

Just wanted to add, to what so many have said already about Jim, reading the above you can't but feel that we have lost a very special man, i hadn't seen Jim for ages but i will always have a memory of a man with a gentle voice and a smile and that made you feel welcome and at ease, his love of the music and dancing ( especially at the 100 club ) can not be matched .

Jim rest in peace my friend

Social source share

Good God, poor Jim. I'm really shocked at this news. I can only endorse what everyone has said about Jim. A nicer man you would not meet. He was always cheerfull and had time for everyone. As the saying goes " The good ones go first"

Let us hope he didn't suffer too much in the end.

God speed, to a better world Jim.

Thinking of you mate D'Arcy and Annie.

Social source share

Really sad news, My thoughts to his family a very top boy in my opinion. Will always remember the night Ginger Martin and myself did our Soulcast show PMSL. Peace Buey

Social source share

Sad news to hear. My condolences go out to Jim's family.

Jim of Soulcast to me:

Jim was my first introduction to Northern Soul. I happened upon Northern in a book and then found Jim's Soulcast radio show on the net. Jim was a few episodes into the show and so I was able to catch most of the shows. I loved his opening song "Push on Jesse Jackson" by the Pace-setters. I used to love seeing the new post and listening in and hearing the thumpin' beat come in and then off with the first song. I model my show after Jim's Soulcast show. He was so nice and willing to share his knowledge of Northern Soul with me even when I was just a stranger only able to chat with him via the net. I was a nobody with a new website and Jim kindly added me to his links. He didn't have to do that considering the other more creditable links and affiliates and it was just simply a kind and admirable gesture. He even sent me a copy of a particular show that I appropriately title "The Best of Soulcast." I felt that that particular show was simply amazing!! THAT MIX solidified my love for Northern Soul!! Hands down and that is the truth. I still have the cd. I remember when he had guest DJ Dave Flynn on the show. THAT was an amazing show and I still have that one as well. I'll try and get the "Best of" mix up via mp3 and post it here. Jim's passion for Soul music really came across through his show and you could hear his love in every single back track he would announce. I have nothing but great respect of this man. He reached out to me, here in TX when noone else would even return an email inquiry. He went as far as to send me a cd, chat via email, talk to me about Soul music, etc. AND THAT is what being a Soul Boy is all about.

I am saddened by the news and Jim's kindness and love for Soul music will forever be with me.

RIP Brother. respect.

Jay Lopez

San Antonio, TX.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Does anybody have a photo of Jim that they can post up please? I have some somewhere but can't find them at the moment.

I think there are members on here who will recognise him by a photo whereas they may not by name only....so unassuming was he.

Thank you.

Social source share

This is desperately sad news, especially when I last saw Jim he was so full of beans (wasn't he always). I remember years ago Jim making the considerable trek across London to my old flat in Docklands to fix my video for me, he refused payment, and said a tape and a hot meal from Jet would do, that generosity of spirit of his was always there. From a DJ'ing point of view it was always good to see Jim whirling about to your latest acquisition.

From Jet

Just the sweetest man ever, Jim will be so missed.

our condolences to his family and friends.

God Bless Jim

Jet & Tony

Social source share

I am sorry to intrude on what is a very painful time for his friends but now i have seen his photo...i may know him....was he on the Cleethorpes doco during the dance competition??? if so.. then i am sure that i have met and spoke with him....very quiet man...very unassuming ...but very into his music....Del

Social source share

Can anyone tell me if Liam knows as I lost his no, he was good mates with Jim, I assume he knows?

Would be great if anyone has a photo of him dancing at the 100 club be a nice tribute for Jim.

Edited by hertssoulgirl
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Only knew him to say hello to really but he was always a friendly face. I knew he had been ill and the last time I saw him I'd grown my hair from always having a crop, he came up with a big smile and said 'You've got the long hair now and I've gone baldie!' but he said it with such good humour and with not a trace of self pity.A really nice man.

Rob

Social source share

Sad news to hear. My condolences go out to Jim's family.

Jim of Soulcast to me:

Jim was my first introduction to Northern Soul. I happened upon Northern in a book and then found Jim's Soulcast radio show on the net. Jim was a few episodes into the show and so I was able to catch most of the shows. I loved his opening song "Push on Jesse Jackson" by the Pace-setters. I used to love seeing the new post and listening in and hearing the thumpin' beat come in and then off with the first song. I model my show after Jim's Soulcast show. He was so nice and willing to share his knowledge of Northern Soul with me even when I was just a stranger only able to chat with him via the net. I was a nobody with a new website and Jim kindly added me to his links. He didn't have to do that considering the other more creditable links and affiliates and it was just simply a kind and admirable gesture. He even sent me a copy of a particular show that I appropriately title "The Best of Soulcast." I felt that that particular show was simply amazing!! THAT MIX solidified my love for Northern Soul!! Hands down and that is the truth. I still have the cd. I remember when he had guest DJ Dave Flynn on the show. THAT was an amazing show and I still have that one as well. I'll try and get the "Best of" mix up via mp3 and post it here. Jim's passion for Soul music really came across through his show and you could hear his love in every single back track he would announce. I have nothing but great respect of this man. He reached out to me, here in TX when noone else would even return an email inquiry. He went as far as to send me a cd, chat via email, talk to me about Soul music, etc. AND THAT is what being a Soul Boy is all about.

I am saddened by the news and Jim's kindness and love for Soul music will forever be with me.

RIP Brother. respect.

Jay Lopez

San Antonio, TX.

What a wonderful sentiment there Jay - Like you when I first got the internet (and slowly got back connecting to the soul scene) I too listened to Jim's Soulcast and thought how amazing/ fascinating the net can work for spreading the word of soul music. An inspiration to us all. I didn't know Jim but I thank him from down here and my condolences to his friends and family.

Best regards

Rich

Social source share

I never knew his last name, but as I read each additional post they were pointing more and more to who I hoped it wasn't....where he danced...the long dark hair, and then the pics to confirm my fears....I'm very sad today, having just seen the lovely pics of Jim dancing. it's how I'll always remember him, but they made me smile too, remembering how uplifting it was going into the club and seeing Jim going for it and then the hug you knew you were going to get when he saw you....I'll be thinking of him tonight....R I P Jim

Social source share

Oh my goodness what sad news.

I hadn't seen Jim for many, many years, but we used to have a chat and a giggle - and always thought I'd see him again if I ever managed to venture back down to the 100 club

Will look through my photos over the next few days and post any photos I may have of him

Sincere condolences to Jims close friends and family.

Social source share

Guest soul diva

I'm so shocked and devastated....

As everyone says....... what a great guy.

I used to pick Jim up on a friday night in Acton - to go to the Norfolk Village and we laughed so much.....

Gonna miss you loads mate - you're one amazing person and I feel truly honoured to have met you

Debs xx

Edited by Nickg
Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

My condolences to Jim's family and close friends. I only met Jim twice, once at Cleethorpes back in the 90's and I had a good banter with him a few times that weekend. I bumped into him at a Mod Club a few years later in London. I know it's a cliche after people die but he truly struck me as a totally nice guy, he really left an impression. I'm very shocked to see that he has passed away, and oh so young, very, very sad.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mark passed on the sad news on Friday evening. Not sorry to say I shed a tear.

Can only echo all the great tributes.

I was on a number 4 bus in 1996. I'd been to a gig in Islington and was dressed in Wonder stuff T shirt, loud patchwork hippy trousers, hair as long as Jim's and doctor martins. I had seen Jim and Liam dancing at the Water Rats, and the one off do in Leicester square. I still didnt know anyone on the London soul scene. Looking like I did, not surprising ;-)

I saw Jim and Liam going into what I now know is the Mousetrap. So I hopped off the bus and went in, after a little negotiation lol.

Kiwi Kerry and Robbie came over for a chat, and I was introduced to Jim and Liam. From that night on I knew I'd met 4 of the best. Jim would arrenge to meet me in Kings X and show me where the venues were. Would always be encouraging me to 'get back into soul'. He introduced me to so many people that I cant remember. And as much as he never had a bad word to say, not one of the people I have met ever had a bad word to say about Jim.

His passing effected me, and I've thought about that night at the Mousetrap many times. My life is richer for having known Jim. And despite my sadness am a happier person for his friendship.

God bless Jim, and all his family and friends.

Social source share

Anyone wishing to send flowers for Jim should have them delivered to:

Demetriou & English

131-133 Myddleton Road

Wood Green

London

N22 8NG

They should be delivered on Monday 2nd October at the latest. Anyone who would like to make a donation to charity instead is encouraged to do so.

Thanks,

Russell

Russell, what would Jim's family (or Jim would have wanted?) if Charity which one do you think is appropriate?

Edited by hertssoulgirl
Social source share

The family haven't expressed a preference to the best of my knowledge, and I wouldn't want to speak on behalf of them, but would personally suggest that the Lymphoma Association is a good choice as it was Hodgkin's Lymphoma that Jim had.

About 4-5 years ago, I did a sponsored swim for that charity. Jim supported me by acting as my lap counter and independent witness. He was keen that the money raised was going to a charity that specifically aided people with, and helped fund research into, the disease he had, rather than the funds going to a larger, more generalised one.

That's just my own perspective, of course, and I'm sure his family wouldn't mind which charity it was.

Russell

Social source share

Since first hearing the news, I've been trying to think of what to write.

Although I hadn't seen Jim in a number of years, he was one of the people you couldn't forget.

He was one of the most kind and thoughtful people I have ever known and would do anything for anyone and often went out of his way to help people.

Seeing the photo's posted, brings back lots of fond memories, but also brings sadness.

He loved soul music and loved to dance.

A sad loss not only to the soul fraternity, but to anyone he'd met.

John

Social source share

I think Jim may have been the first Northern soul dancer I ever saw in the flesh. Like a very special gate-keeper he could always be found at the entrance to the "Talc Room" of Happiness Stans in the early nineties, busting prize moves, his long curly hair and legs flicking out catching unsuspecting visitors as they tried to get to the bar, only to feel the sweat hit them a second later. He would always be there with Liam, always the same spot, both of them going at it from beginning to end. There'd sometimes be a chance to chat when he'd take a drink, and he would always be really pleasant and a good laugh, I don't think he ever got drunk or took drugs which makes this conclusion extra unfair. Then on weeks when things continued onto the 100 club he'd be there ripping up the floor til day-break.

I visited Jim a few months ago at his parents home in West London. He was chipper and we had a great chat about music and scenes. I always thought if anything his enthusiasm would keep him going.

He'll be a great loss to the soul scene.

Lisa x

Social source share

Here you go. I was looking through what little pics I have of Jim earlier. Here's a couple of them. One from the days when Jim had the ponytail...

Russell

....The most wonderful and kindest person.. Such a big heart. Will miss you loads Jim. And you will never be forgotten. Rest in peace,

Love Hanna, Sweden

Social source share

Guest claude rains

I was was outside the 100 club Saturday when Liam told me the news, after the shock, it seemed some how fitting that I should have been told there, as he loved it so.

Jim was one of the first people I met at The 100 Club, when I attended my first night there back in 86'

Jim had been goin long before me and I was struck by his sheer enthusiasum for the music.

His lust for life was only equalled by his passion for music, I can see him now through my minds eye, late 80's sweaty 100 club, by the entrance. Jim dancing non stop all night and smilling with the joy of being in a place he loved, dancing to music that he was lost in.

God bless you Jim

David T.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Jim was the first friend I made on the soul scene.

His enthusiasm and passion for the music was infectious, his gentle and open hearted character a pleasure to be around.

He filled dance floors with energy and flair in a way that few others can.

His flying hair, and whirlwind style on the floor will be remembered always by those who were lucky enough to have been around him.

Gone, but never forgotten.

Rest in peace Jim...

Social source share

RIP........... see ya at the big Allnighter in the sky mate, a truly, truly deep & gentle man, with a soul as deep as ya like & then some, we hadnt seen each other for some years Jim, due to my move over seas, but I was looking forward to seeing you soon & they'll always be a space on the dance floor where you should be at the venues we used to see each other. God bless.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Didn't know Jim that well but saw him many times at the 100 Club. It's so sad for anyone to die at that age but it's even sadder because we knew him and that we won't ever see him dancing at the 100 Club again. Our condolences go out to his family and friends.

John and Delise

Social source share

It's so sad and unfair that Jim has gone, but his spirit of kindness and generosity will always be remembered by many.

We'll remember him for his endless energy, friendliness and genuine nature, and amazing dancing! He was a true 'life and soul of the party'. He died so young but during his life achieved much, and touched many others in such a positive way, including giving his time working for hospital radio, and being a good friend to many.

Our condolences to his close family and friends, on such a sad loss of a wonderful and brave man.

Michele & Jack

xx

Social source share

Very sad news indeed.

I remember going to the 100club in the mid eighties and seeing this long hair guy just going for it on the dancefloor. He used to dance right across the front of the stage where we would all be (to the left by the piano) and always have a smile and a chat for everyone. Later he would be found dancing by the door in his white t-shirt ringing with sweat...i'd always tap him on the shoulder on the way out and say see ya on tube during the week. We became friends as i lived in sheppards bush at the time and used to do him tapes etc.

We'd always bump into each other on the central line in the mornings and talk records and everything soulful. Jim supported ever soul night in London and was one of those guys you just liked to see out as he was full of life and loved dancing. Give him a great send off guys and girls....he deserves it, sorry i can't be there. A true gentleman and a true soul fan.

my condolences to his family and friends

Greg Mc Alinney

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!