Posted Images

Guest Ferrett

mines gotta be...

jimmy beaumont-never say goodbye

a voice like velvet...

and, oooohhh them swoonsome strings are something else :D

link

:wicked::yes::yes::ohmy::ohmy:

Can't believe Jimmy Beaumont is white. Another illusion shattered. Looks like my dad when he was about 20!!

It's all too much to handle. I'm still trying to get over the photos of Tony Galla who looks like an ugly Elvis.

whistling.gif:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

:yes:   :yes:   :ohmy:   :ohmy:   :D

Can't believe Jimmy Beaumont is white.  Another illusion shattered.  Looks like my dad when he was about 20!!

It's all too much to handle.  I'm still trying to get over the photos of Tony Galla who looks like an ugly Elvis.

:thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :wicked:

link

YEH...I KNOW THIS SLEEVE HAS CAUSED A BIT OF A STIR WHENEVER I'VE SHOWN IT TO PEOPLE...I SAW A RECENT PIC...HE WAS PLUMP..NEARLY BALD AND WAS WEARING A BLUE VELVET JACKET AND FRILLY EVENING SHIRT whistling.gif

Social source share

Thanks for posting the jimmy beaumont track. Hadn't heard that before, so was good to hear.

Dean Parish has one of the most amazing voices. However I now think that I regret seeing him in concert. It was just a surreal experience. It was impossible to take it in. That voice, that sound coming from a man who looked like my uncle Tony. Hope that doesn't actually put anyone off going to see him, I just found it incomprehensible.

Social source share

Thanks for posting the jimmy beaumont track. Hadn't heard that before, so was good to hear.

Dean Parish has one of the most amazing voices. However I now think that I regret seeing him in concert. It was just a surreal experience. It was impossible to take it in. That voice, that sound coming from a man who looked like my uncle Tony. Hope that doesn't actually put anyone off going to see him, I just found it incomprehensible.

link

MY PLEASURE whistling.gif

Social source share

It's between these three for me:

Vondells - Hey girl you've changed - Airtown

Embers - I wanna be your - JCP

Monzas - Instant Love - Pacific

:good:

Social source share

My choice would be,

Chris Clark, any track really, such a soulful voice.

Dusty Springfield, superb home grown talent. Her version of the Walter Jackson classic Welcome Home is amazing.

Robert John, always loved Raindrops Love and Sunshine

I am pretty sure that Jimmy Beaumont was the lead singer of The Skyliners who had the 50s hit Since I Don't Have You.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Was told some years ago that Otis Lee was white is this true ?

Tried analysing it over the years but still remain unconvinced - Anyone whistling.gif

Social source share

Was told some years ago that Otis Lee was white is this true ?

Any thing by M Jackson,for me,seriously though!there aint a lot bad about,magnificent men,genious is there any good cds any sourcer`s can recommend,i have the album,the world of soul by them,and about 4 singles,anybody got there other two lps for sale?as long as there not too expensive,i hope?.ken

Social source share

Is "blue-eyed" a more politically correct way of saying "white"? I always find this form of inverted racism slightly bizarre, since generally the people who won't listen to "white" records usually ARE white...

Surely one listen to "It'll Never Be Over For Me" by Timi Yuro, and you realise that the colour of someone's skin is completely irrelevant - you've either got soul or, err, you don't...

Edited by cover-up
Social source share

Are you sure the Vondells are white Tommy? I'm sure I saw a piccie of them a bit back - 3 or 4 young black guys if I remember rightly :thumbsup:

Didn't know Robert John was white either :thumbsup:

Billy whistling.gif

link

I have not seen any pictures but an american garage collector who had been in touch with one of the band members said they (Vondells) were a white group. This was on another forum quite a long time ago. Same publishing for the Vondells (and same label basically but with a slightly different name, Airtown Custom instead of just Airtown, or are they not related? I think they are.) as Virigil Murray's Tomorrow's Yesterday BTW. Other white acts are The Royal Playboys (Do De), Lewis Clark (Tigertown, I think this is white?), in fact many of the most popular tunes are by white artists. Lost Soul, Oxford Nights, Nomads, Bob & Fred, Johnny Maestro, Bill Bush, Jokers, Joey Delorenzo, Soul Communicators, Antellects (think this is white?), etc., etc. I wonder how large a percentage of the sounds played today on the mainstream northern scene (if there is such a thing) are white? 25% or more? I saw a flyer for an event that featured five label scans, 4 out of these were white artists and the 5th was a poor (IMO) R&B record, didn't look too promising for a soul night I thought, despite this the event was pretty good though, so don't go too much by the flyer I guess. :wicked:

Social source share

I have not seen any pictures but an american garage collector who had been in touch with one of the band members said they (Vondells) were a white group. This was on another forum quite a long time ago. Same publishing for the Vondells (and same label basically but with a slightly different name, Airtown Custom instead of just Airtown, or are they not related? I think they are.) as Virigil Murray's Tomorrow's Yesterday BTW. Other white acts are The Royal Playboys (Do De), Lewis Clark (Tigertown, I think this is white?), in fact many of the most popular tunes are by white artists. Lost Soul, Oxford Nights, Nomads, Bob & Fred, Johnny Maestro, Bill Bush, Jokers, Joey Delorenzo, Soul Communicators, Antellects (think this is white?), etc., etc. I wonder how large a percentage of the sounds played today on the mainstream northern scene (if there is such a  thing) are white? 25% or more? I saw a flyer for an event that featured five label scans, 4 out of these were white artists and the 5th was a poor (IMO) R&B record, didn't look too promising for a soul night I thought, despite this the event was pretty good though, so don't go too much by the flyer I guess. :thumbsup:

link

What's your favourite though Christian?? wink.gif

Social source share

Rufus Lumley - Stronger than me

Chapter 5 - You can't mean it

Joannie Somers - Don't pity me

Detroit Soul - All of my life

lada edmund jr - la rue

embers - watch out girl

freddie chavez - they'll never know why

the vip's - straight down to the bottom

bobbie smith - walk on into my heart

daen - baby's gone away

paul anka - can't help loving you

the intentions - don't forget that I love you

court davis - try to think what you're doing

cajun hart - got to find a way

larry santos - you got me where you want me

crikey I could be here all day...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

What's your favourite though Christian??  :thumbsup:

link

I think Chrisrian's thinking on White soul singers aint a million miles away from Pete Smith's view on modern records :thumbsup:

I'm sure most on here know my fave is Rufus Lumley - Stronger than me. Fave all time in fact.

Also I love Billy's choice of 'Ellusions - You didnt have to go.' As J O T might say, a chooneroonie wink.gif

Social source share

Is "blue-eyed" a more politically correct way of saying "white"? I always find this form of inverted racism slightly bizarre, since generally the people who won't listen to "white" records usually ARE white...

Surely one listen to "It'll Never Be Over For Me" by Timi Yuro, and you realise that the colour of someone's skin is completely irrelevant - you've either got soul or, err, you don't...

link

Timi Yuro sings quite well I guess but I never understood the enormous appeal of "It'll Never Be Over For Me", I don't like it much and it doesn't sound that soulful to me. Sounds more like dramatic adult pop than soul to me. What does the colour of the listener have to do with anything in this case? Are you suggesting that it is some kind of race disloyalty to dismiss music by people of your own colour?

Social source share

bobbie smith - walk on into my heart

link

Didn't know Bobbie Smith was white (or never really thought about it to be honest), definitely in my top 20 tunes of all time (so far) wink.gif

Don't think people use 'blue-eyed' to be PC, it's just a term which has come about for soul music by white artists.

Social source share

The Oxford Nights are white, but Ben Bernard (lead on "I'm such a lonely one") is definately black. Antellects are black too.

Billy :dance:

link

Are you sure about The Antellects? Read somewhere that it was a white rock group of some sort. Whatever the case the vocals on it are less than weak IMO.

Are the Inmates on Kopit white BTW?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Are you sure about The Antellects? Read somewhere that it was a white rock group of some sort. Whatever the case the vocals on it are less than weak IMO.

Are the Inmates on Kopit white BTW?

link

I'm sure Antellects are white.

More stuff from the 'Beach Scene' I guess.

Didnt Dave Flynn track one of them down?

Social source share

What's your favourite though Christian??  wink.gif

link

Don't have any at the moment, since no white northern tune I know of is anywhere near as good as the better black ones I tend not to spend that much time listening to white tunes. I like some crazy oldies and there are good ones for sure, but the good black ones are much better. Soul Communicators is pretty good, and there are many others, but still. A bit like how I feel about 'R&B', there is some good R&B but good soul is much better IMO so why waste time with the second best when there is so much good soul out there?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Post from cover up:

"Is "blue-eyed" a more politically correct way of saying "white"? I always find this form of inverted racism slightly bizarre, since generally the people who won't listen to "white" records usually ARE white..."

Bloody hell mate - you think too much!!

The term blue eyed soul first became a sort of generic term in the early 70s. I think it was the name of an album by Biddu Orchestra. Biddu was asian.

Inverted racism, what a crap comment. This is a pleasant discussion about some favourite records, or it was until you wound me up.

Social source share

Post from cover up:

"Is "blue-eyed" a more politically correct way of saying "white"? I always find this form of inverted racism slightly bizarre, since generally the people who won't listen to "white" records usually ARE white..."

Bloody hell mate - you think too much!!

The term blue eyed soul first became a sort of generic term in the early 70s. I think it was the name of an album by Biddu Orchestra. Biddu was asian.

Inverted racism, what a crap comment. This is a pleasant discussion about some favourite records, or it was until you wound me up.

link

Surely a 60's term to describe the output of The Righteous Brothers, Mitch Ryder etc, and coined in the States ?

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Surely a 60's term to describe the output of The Righteous Brothers, Mitch Ryder etc, and coined in the States ?

link

It's just a term used to describe music made by White singers/ bands - but had a soul ful feel to it -

No un pc overtones - in fact more of a celebration of a culture clash !

LETS GET BACK TO THE RECORDS wink.gif

Social source share

link

Talking of Mitch Ryder, just bought his 'Blessing in Disguise'.... beautiful..... wink.gif

Social source share

George Soule on Fame. Grrreat!

link

Agree! Love his "Get involved" on Fame. But then

again he does not sound very "blue eyed". A great singer and

a great producer/songwriter. Mucho respect.

Cheers,

Christian B

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Johnny Vanelli - Just a little something to sleep on - blue dolphin- 70s thing

quite nice

Paul Anka - Dance on little girl - Abc

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source