Tracks You Associate With Yate

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Will probably put onto a spreadsheet, so if you would be so kind, could you do it in the following order:

Artist - track (Label).

eg, some of my suggestions would be

Larry Allen - Cant we talk it over (Green Dolphin)

Rufus Lumley - Stronger Than Me (RCA)

Marva Hicks - Looking over my shoulder (infinity)

Elbie Parker - Please keep away from me (Veep)

Bobby Kline - Say something nice to me (MB)

Gia Mateo - If you cant say anything nice (RCA)

Willie & the Mighty Magnificents - Souling (???)

Also any memories of either venue? What was the year it moved from the baths to the Stars and Stripes? I'd guess about 1978, but stand to be corrected.

Cheers in advance everyone.

Mikey wink.gif

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

• Replies 84
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Will probably put onto a spreadsheet, so if you would be so kind, could you do it in the following order:

Artist - track (Label).

Willie & the Mighty Magnificents - Souling  (???)

Also any memories of either venue? What was the year it moved from the baths to the Stars and Stripes? I'd guess about 1978, but stand to be corrected.

Mikey wink.gif

link

Errr..........The Lurch,Hit Me with your Rhythm Stick, :thumbsup:

Had some brilliant nights at Yate,even missed the Wigan aniversary one year to go to Yate instead................I only remember one venue though which is a bit worrying as I considered myself a regular from early 78 on

Social source share

God loads of them, off the top of my head I'll offer up Carol & Gerri - How can I ever find the way.

One thats stands out (oddly enough) is Overture - The Miracle Workers (when everyone was obsessed with the City of Angels LP- almost every track got a spin at one point !!!)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Thanks for the help guys. Keep them coming.

If between us we can get enough tracks to present to Ady, in the order I stated, he can begin to research licensing and stuff, and possibly Kent could come up with a suitable tribute to a much loved allnighter.

So any help is truely appreciated.

Hopefully, when Hippo, Steve Smith, Pete French,etc take a look on here, they can come up with a few forgotten gems.

Another thing. Who were the guys behind the South of England Soul Club? Are any of them still knocking about. Do you have contacts for them? And do you think they would mind if I bent their ear a little?

Yate was my first Allnighter, so distinguishing what was a 'YATE' sound is difficult for me. As to me they were all Yate sounds.

eg Adams Apples always reminds me of Yate, but it was probably popular all over the country.

I'm pretty sure Clarkey would have had a few exclusives,as would Dave Greet. How about Dave T, Hippo, Ady P...any of these guys spin sounds for the first time at Yate.

Sorry. I am asking a lot but it would be fantastic if we could give Ady a friendly nudge in the right direction.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Around 76-77, couches from Stoke orginised by Tim Ashibendi and Blondie

TOP SOUND for at the time there was...

Rex Garvin - You don't need no Help

link

I pierced my ear for the first time sat on one of those couches Shute with if memory serves a Mr Forgetful badge (how apt)

those days are all a bit of a blur to be honest but records that i associate with Yate in particular are things like

Rufus Lummox - Stronger than me

Vala Regan - Fireman

Greater Experience - Don't forget to remember

and loads of others that i did forget to remember although there is one that we have started playing a bit recently that apparently was an old Yate sound

Mamie Lee - I can feel him slipping away - MGM

Johnny Karen Trout

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Hopefully, when Hippo, Steve Smith, Pete French,etc take a look on here, they can come up with a few forgotten gems.

link

You could do worse than to have a few words with Budgie, Ady, Hippo, Paul O'Brien and Greety the next time you are at the Sarries Mickster their collective memory retention is at times scary mate especially Marvo the Memory Budge :lol::shades:

Johnny Karen Trout

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

You could do worse than to have a few words with Budgie, Ady, Hippo, Paul O'Brien and Greety the next time you are at the Sarries Mickster their collective memory retention is at times scary mate especially Marvo the Memory Budge  :lol:   :lol:

Johnny Karen Trout

link

It probably couldnt have come at a worse time than this weekend. Would love to be there Friday, and meet Supercorsa, who is possibly making the trip up.

Can you find out if any of them are going to Press That In?

I will bring along my dictaphone :lol::shades:

Social source share

Perhaps some historian could actually pin a venue to a record and say 99% for sure that, this was the first or only place it was spun.

I suspect only the DJs would know for sure.

Most of the records mentioned were also played everywhere else, so the claim to fame has to be as above, especially if a dedicated CD is issued.

Ed

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

I pierced my ear for the first time sat on one of those couches Shute with if memory serves a Mr Forgetful badge (how apt)

I did much worse - proposed in the car park to my girlfriend .....who became my wife.

I saw Nik Mcavoy (that spelling doesn't look right) just before Christmas. He was something to do with it I think.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Perhaps some historian could actually pin a venue to a record and say 99% for sure that, this was the first or only place it was spun.

I suspect only the DJs would know for sure.

Most of the records mentioned were also played everywhere else, so the claim to fame has to be as above, especially if a dedicated CD is issued.

Ed

link

I think you are missing the point a little Edster i don't think anyone would claim exclusivity for the tunes mentioned that would be madness (probably played by DT :lol: ) but the collection of tunes that were played would give the overall feel of the nighter and let's face it YATE was very distinctive compared to it's contemporaries

JKT :shades:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I did much worse - proposed in the car park to my girlfriend .....who became my wife.

I saw Nik Mcavoy (that spelling doesn't look right) just before Christmas.  He was something to do with it I think.

link

Happy Birthday Mikey btw :lol:

Social source share

I saw Nik Mcavoy (that spelling doesn't look right) just before Christmas.  He was something to do with it I think.

link

Mikey

here's a link to the previous discussion on this subject

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...wtopic=3371&hl=

Nick Mcavoy was invloved in the relaunch and lived round the corner from me. He got a lot of local lads down here involved it but they were never as good as the earlier ones imho

I'll dig out some stuff and post it up later

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SteveCee
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mikey

here's a link to the previous discussion on this subject

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...wtopic=3371&hl=

Nick Mcavoy was invloved in the relaunch and lived round the corner from me. He got a lot of local lads down here involved it but they were never as good as the earlier ones imho

I'll dig out some stuff and post it up later

Cheers

Steve

link

Cheers Steve. I was trying to find that but couldn't.

Good to chat to you guys at Abergavenny. Top night.

Didnt mean to nick your idea Steve. :lol:

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

I think you are missing the point a little Edster i don't think anyone would claim exclusivity for the tunes mentioned that would be madness (probably played by DT :lol: ) but the collection of tunes that were played would give the overall feel of the nighter and let's face it YATE was very distinctive compared to it's contemporaries

JKT :lol:

link

I don't know why because I was always led to believe that ALL sounds were discovered by Russ Winstanleys uncle. :shades:

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Artist - track (Label).

Willie & the Mighty Magnificents - Souling  (???)

Mikey :shades:

link

ANTIQUES-GO FOR YOURSELF-LASALLE

SOUL PARTNERS-JUST FUN-AMAZING

Social source share

"Never went and never wanted to go, everyone knows that people from that area are the most unfriendly in the country"

Never a good idea to generalise.

Especially when you can't back it up.

What about those people who travelled 100+ miles to make up the crowd?

Are they tainted by association?

Social source share

"Never went and never wanted to go, everyone knows that people from that area are the most unfriendly in the country"

link

Yate crowd encompassed people from Derbyshire, Wales, Greater Manchester, London, Merseyside, Yorkshire, Cornwall, Staffordshire, Midlands, wherever (even Scotland.......... :) ) I hardly ever heard a Bristol accent there (Glos accents don't count) !

Pete's just being a knob because he can, it's his job to be contrary and he does it so well :shades::shades::lol:

He'd have loved it really; girls dressed up as nuns, happy pills, plentiful record dealing...almost makes me feel nostalgic if I could remember any of it :lol:

Edited by alison
Social source share

link

Yes they are :graynone:

Social source share

Yate crowd encompassed people from Derbyshire, Wales, Greater Manchester, London, Merseyside, Yorkshire, Cornwall, Staffordshire, Midlands, wherever (even Scotland.......... :lol: ) I hardly ever heard a Bristol accent there (Glos accents don't count) !

Pete's just being a knob because he can, it's his job to be contrary and he does it so well :)   :lol:   :lol:

He'd have loved it really; girls dressed up as nuns, happy pills, plentiful record dealing...almost makes me feel nostalgic if I could remember any of it  :lol:

link

Just how I remember (parts)of it too.

:shades::shades: :dance: cool.gif

Makes one feel proud to be Tainted :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Just chatting to little bruv, he says Village of Tears and Coloured Man remind him of Yate.

Also there was a song, I embarrased myself in my office, by singing down the phone to him, but we cant rememebr title or artist.

Lyrics something like

"we're gonna take a trip, a trip on love"

Probably well known, but we cant remember who it was.

Social source share

Just chatting to little bruv, he says Village of Tears and Coloured Man remind him of Yate.

Also there was a song, I embarrased myself in my office, by singing down the phone to him, but we cant rememebr title or artist.

Lyrics something like

"we're gonna take a trip, a trip on love"

link

Wakefield Sun on MGM

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Lyrics something like

"we're gonna take a trip, a trip on love" [Wakefield Sun Trypt on Love]

link

All three of those remind me of Wigin Mikey especially Teddy Vann Orch :yes::ohmy:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Its probably because I have a tape of Sam at Yate in 1978 playing Ben Zine. Sounds great cos all you can hear at times are the deafening claps.

Now I do have that in my possesion. I will try to do some copies for those interested and give them out next weekend.

Social source share

It's crap. Searling used to play it at Wigan.

link

Sam used to play it at The Fleet as well.I don't think its crap BTW

Back on Subject,

Memphis Horns-I can't Turn You Loose

Precisions-Such Misery

Classic Sulivans-Paint Yourself In a Corner

Only ever remember hearing them at Yate.Also,wasnt Larry Houston first played at Yate covered up as something??

Another thing,why did Yate shut?

Social source share

Only ever remember hearing them at Yate.Also,wasnt Larry Houston first played at Yate covered up as something??

Another thing,why did Yate shut?

link

Probably because they played Larry Houston, the worst record ever made in the history of the world. :ohmy:

WORST RECORD EVER BAR NONE

Joe Dolce is f*cking genius next to that piece of crap

Even Wakefield Sun is better...

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Probably because they played Larry Houston, the worst record ever made in the history of the world.  :ohmy:

WORST RECORD EVER BAR NONE

Joe Dolce is f*cking genius next to that piece of crap

Even Wakefield Sun is better...

link

Hmm,a taste of sour grapes creeping into this thread perhaps? :yes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Stars and Stripes got new management, who closed it to be refurbished. When it reopened it was awful, utterly awful. All florescent lights and staircases.

It had a small, sunken, baked bean shaped dancefloor. I think the only resemblence to the old room was the stage at the bottom. Great so wallys could show of their dancing skills to soft cell. ie waving their beer, shaking their hips, and yelling the lyrics out and winking.

I would also have thought the capacity was reduced markedly. maybe even by half. As a venue it would have no longer been any good for a niter as popular as Yate was...well outside Wolverhampton at least :ohmy:

I went there on a stag night, not long after it re-opened and was shocked at what they had done.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Hmm,a taste of sour grapes creeping into this thread perhaps? :ohmy:

link

To be fair, Petes hatred of Larry Houston is a recurring theme.

Theres obviously some very disturbing reason for this.

Discuss ! :yes:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

To be fair, Petes hatred of Larry Houston is a recurring theme.

Theres obviously some very disturbing reason for this.

Discuss !  :P

link

Methinks the lady doth protest too much :yes:biggrin.gif

Lets not forget that this is a man who will freely admit to liking Sister Sledge, Frankie, Thinking of you etc etc so there is some empathy with the watered down version of the modern soul sound all that is probably lacking is taste and there is no accounting for that :ohmy:tongue.giftongue.gifyes.gifbiggrin.gif

Karen xx

Social source share

Methinks the lady doth protest too much  :yes:   :P

Lets not forget that this is a man who will freely admit to liking Sister Sledge, Frankie, Thinking of you etc etc so there is some empathy with the watered down version of the modern soul sound all that is probably lacking is taste and there is no accounting for that  :ohmy:   tongue.gif   tongue.gif   yes.gif   biggrin.gif

Karen xx

link

You lying git. biggrin.gif

I hate Frankie.

I do love Thinking Of You and always said I did and still do...in my all time top 20 of any type of music

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

You lying git.  :yes:

I hate Frankie.

I do love Thinking Of You and always said I did and still do...in my all time top 20 of any type of music

link

I still have a very vivid image of you dancing around your living room with Mindy in your arms to Frankie *************** I'm a punk Smith yeah right Nancy Boy :ohmy:biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Karen xx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!