Tracks You Associate With Yate

Guest in town Mikey

I still have a very vivid image of you dancing around your living room with Mindy in your arms to Frankie *************** I'm a punk Smith yeah right Nancy Boy  :ohmy:   :yes:   biggrin.gif

Karen xx

link

If you've truly seen my dog you would know it is physically impossible for me to hold her in my arms as she weighs more than I do biggrin.gif

Social source share

• Replies 84
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

If you've truly seen my dog you would know it is physically impossible for me to hold her in my arms as she weighs more than I do  :ohmy:

link

I never said you weren't stood on a box :yes:biggrin.gif

Karen

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

:ohmy: What about Edwin Starr's new release at the time . . . and well played in most disco's (as well!!) . . . "Contact".

:yes: also Jay Trayner's "Up & over", wasn't that about the same time?

The Lonely Crowd's "Shadows & Reflections"

Martin

Social source share

These Windows - Village Sound ?

Bell Boys ?

link

These Windows - Village Sounds absolutely fantastic but surely a Soul Sam play first? Or if post is just of records you remember played at Yate how about the poperoonies:

Rain Out of my mind

Paula Parfit Love is Wonderful

Beverley Ann He's coming Home

Kiki Dee Magic carpet ride

Peggy March If you- er bugger minds gone blank

Muriel Day 9 times out of ten

What a load of old twaddle ................

Not really , used to love going there but was only an occasional visitor mores the pity

Social source share

Explain please - sour grapes?  About what?  Not going to Yate?  Never wanted to.  Not liking Larry Houston?  It's horrible.

Wotchootalkinbout Martyn?

link

Only banter mate-no offence intended

Social source share

:thumbsup: What about Edwin Starr's new release at the time . . . and well played in most disco's (as well!!) . . . "Contact".

:thumbsup: also Jay Trayner's "Up & over", wasn't that about the same time?

The Lonely Crowd's "Shadows & Reflections"

Martin

link

Correct me if I'm mistaken,but are you the Martin who turned green(literaly) in the back of my car,claiming,and I quote;

"bad mix,bad mix" ???

The reason I ask is that if you are the aforementioned Martin,I feel inclined at this point to remind you that you were the only bugger who's marching tackle was so good that you couldnt leave the floor when Rhythmn Stick was played :shades::wicked:

If I have maligned the wrong person here,SORRY whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Correct me if I'm mistaken,but are you the Martin who turned green(literaly) in the back of my car,claiming,and I quote;

"bad mix,bad mix" ???

The reason I ask is that if you are the aforementioned Martin,I feel inclined at this point to remind you that you were the only bugger who's marching tackle was so good that you couldnt leave the floor when Rhythmn Stick was played :shades:   :wicked:

If I have maligned the wrong person here,SORRY whistling.gif

link

:thumbsup: Don't tell everyone, but it was only my chin that went green!!

"bad mix, bad mix" ?? You would have a job to get better than that today my old mucker. :thumbsup:

Martin. aka The Green Man

Social source share

:thumbsup: Don't tell everyone, but it was only my chin that went green!!

"bad mix, bad mix" ?? You would have a job to get better than that today my old mucker.  whistling.gif

Martin.  aka The Green Man

link

Thought it was you mate-have PM'd you

Social source share

I have very fond memories of Yate & I reckon it was one of the most underated Nighters ever, always had a large contingent from the Portsmouth & Southampton areas & a guy named Dinks ran coaches from Pompey to Yate & if I remember correctly had something to do with the promotion at some stage too.

Tracked this guy down a few years ago in the vain hope that he had some tunes left, he was a steward at Pompey & no he had no records either !!!.

You need to speak to Shay from Southampton, Tony Ellis & Pete Wid too, they should help fill some gaps.

Few that remind me of Yate:

Soul Communicaors on Fee Bee

Ohio Players superior version of LSTMF

Bernie Williams - ever Again

Also any one remember the dance floor football games

Top venue..........top tunes :thumbsup:thumbsup.gif:thumbsup:

BTW I always thought that Yate helped me a great deal in my open mindedness towards Rare Soul, alltho' tunes over lapped between North & South Yate had its own distinct sound & the DJ's were always adventurous not like some of the other sheep who just chased the bigguns from Wigan.

Also, I beleive there is a strong connection between Yate, Stafford & the 100 Club, not only with quality soul music of course, but many people attended all three venues & as such helped influence the sounds played.

Russ

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Its great coming in to work and reading this first thing.

Got all tingly. blush.gif

Bell Boys. YES I think I have a boot stuck away back at mum's. :lol:

Social source share

So many choons and memories - here's a few more

Gambrells - Jive talk

George Kirby - What can I do

Sam Williams - Love slipped

Anthony and the Sophomores - Heatbreak

Appreciations - I can't hide it

Betty turner - Be careful girl

B.J. thomas (David Huff c/u until Gilly passed me a copy!)

Capitals - Can't deny that I love you (allegedly, but I can't remember that!)

.......and a gurt big handful of backstreet blueys blush.gif

Jerry.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

[

.......and a gurt big handful of backstreet blueys blush.gif

Jerry.

link

Not that I'd know anything about that, you understand, just hearsay...

link

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

.......and a gurt big handful of backstreet blueys :lol:

Jerry.

link

You know i always associate Yate with Pondrax and Duramin ..........................errrrr well that's what i was told allegedly eerrr by a bloke in a pub somewhere blush.gif apparently you never knew whether to laugh or cry or whether you were coming or going allegedly :lol::lol:

Karen :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

You know i always associate Yate with

Pondrax and Duramin ..........................

link

....................its like a firecracker compared to you whistling.gif

Social source share

"It's a long long way from Twid's house to Grave's Park"

link

Nightwatch is worse that I remembered. When I was Djing in Plymouth in about 79 a mate had payed loads of money for it at Yate & I refused to play it for him. I stuck to my reissues and boots of far better sounds. Could be another thread playing reissues & boots rather than nightwatch! whistling.gif

err, perhaps we shouldn't go there

Paul

Social source share

You know i always associate Yate with Pondrax and Duramin ..........................errrrr well that's what i was told allegedly eerrr by a bloke in a pub somewhere  whistling.gif apparently you never knew whether to laugh or cry or whether you were coming or going allegedly  :rolleyes:   :huh:

Karen  :lol:

link

Smile on Philon was the advice I was given at Yate...............Can't remember if I ever took the blokes advise though :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Smile on Philon was the advice I was given at Yate...............Can't remember if I ever took the blokes advise though whistling.gif   :rolleyes:   :huh:

link

Yes obviously but i really don't remember Pondrax being so prevelant anywhere else other than Yate and mixed with duramin often had hilarious results ....allegedly obviously

Karen x

Social source share

Yes obviously but i really don't remember Pondrax being so prevelant anywhere else other than Yate and mixed with duramin often had hilarious results ....allegedly obviously

Karen x

link

PONDRAX....THOSE WHERE THE DAYS,PULL A FAT BIRD THEY ALWAYS HAD THEM.. THE ULTIMATE SLIMMING PILLS whistling.gif:rolleyes::huh:

Social source share

Karen x

link

Think i'm with you now :rolleyes: ..........Seem to remember talk of someone getting lock jaw ? whistling.gif allegedly

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

[ :sweatingbullets: Please find enclosed an article published many moons ago 'bout Yate.

YATE - TODAY, AFTER ONE YEAR. C/O Talk of The North.

For the past year Yate Allnighter has gone from strength to strength. To many newcomers on the scene it's all North of Watford. But to us southerners and the people who make it to YATE, it's 101% pure Northern Soul.

Geographically its all wrong that a club should flourish in such an area but drawing on cars - coaches - vans from Cornwall, Gloucester, Newbury, Southampton, Wales and even Birmingham and Manchester right up to Yorkshire and Leceister and Staffordshire - people from all these areas have made Yate the genuinely friendly and happy soul scene it is.

Basically it's a very well laid out club with ample dance and seating areas. Complete with record swapping and food bars its very comfortable.

Musically its always been an oldies orientated club - but as time has gone on many of the DJ's have tried to obviously obtain indemanders. Its a hard battle as anyone will tell you. The line up is varied and at present Tony Ellis plays a good selection of UK label oldies and newies that Pete Widdison and Adrian seem to start off at Yate. Dave Thorley places an opening cross over selection of say Dooley Silverspoon to Benny Troy and warms the evening up. From then on its a good mixture of requests and oldies from Hippo and Mac from Malvern, with indemanders put in where available, often these two dig out singles not heard in ages - but totally danceable.

Rock from Cannock and Jacko and Paul from Newbury play 100% oldies and are swamped with requests from; Superlatives and Dena Barnes to Darrell Banks to Parliaments.

Lastly there's me - Ian Clark, along with Dave Greet, I try my best, when luck and finances allow to play the newer stompers like Paul Anka, Bobby Paris, John Drevars, etc. The more harder to get items that are popular and not everyone has at home, so to speak - although tucked away in Bristol we do try and have pulled many a fine disc that has gone onto bigger things up north- it's good to know we have made what I feel is a worthwhile contribution to the Northern Scene. Butmost of all it's the cross section of genuine soul fans that we get at Yate that deserve a big thank you - without them there would be no clubs. Long may it continue.

As a guide to the in demand TOP NEWIES played here is my Top Twelve for September - all originals.

1. Bobby Paris - I walked away - Capitol.

2. Paul Anka - When we get there - R.C.A.

3. John Drevars - The closer she gets - M.G.M.

4. Margie & Formations - Sad illusion - Co-ed.

5. Pinkooshings - Make it easy - Mercury.

6. Buckinghams - Don't you care - Columbia.

7. Tamala Lewis - You won't say nothing - Marton.

8. Diane Newby - What you're putting me through - Kapp.

9. Kiki Dee - On a magic carpet ride - Fontana.

10. Peggy March - If you loved me - R.C.A.

11. Ad Libs - New York in the dark - A.J.P.

12. Lou Roberts - Ten to one - M.G.M.

Martin.

p.s. includes a few sounds not mentioned. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Its probably because I have a tape of Sam at Yate in 1978 playing Ben Zine. Sounds great cos all you can hear at times are the deafening claps.

Now I do have that in my possesion. I will try to do some copies for those interested and give them out next weekend.

link

Wouldn't mind a copy of the tape Mickey :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Three characters that have sadly all gone to that big allnighter in the sky  :sweatingbullets:   :rolleyes:

link

It's a very sad fact that almost all of us have memories of people not around anymore. Great friends, warming the great 'nighter in the sky for when we all eventually get there . . . and it will come. I just hope they have the capacity!!

Martin

Social source share

It's a very sad fact that almost all of us have memories of people not around anymore. Great friends, warming the great 'nighter in the sky for when we all eventually get there . . . and it will come. I just hope they have the capacity!!

Martin

link

Lets face it,most of us have sailed close to the wind with THE lifestyle.

Absent Friends

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!