Oldies

Paulb

Its become apparent that a lot of people on here dont like oldies and turn their noses up at nights playing oldies.

Why is this.

Aren't oldies the backbone of the soul scene?

Being new to the scene i can enjoy all the songs played because they are all still fresh to me. A good position to be in!

But a lot of people seem to hate anything thats not ultra rare.

Many threads on here have contained posts where people claim to "hate" oldies and cant stand them being played too much at nights.

If thats the case, how did these people get into soul?

Not having a do at anyone, just a bit miffed with such statements!

Anyone care to shed any light on the matter?

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

I dont personally hate oldies. I absolutely love them.

I get as fed up as the next person hearing the same records every place I visit tho.

That doesnt mean the tunes have to be oldies. Take 18 months ago. You couldnt go to a do without hearing at least once, often more, Joey Di Lorenzo. I really liked it (ooh contentious as David Brent might say), but it got played so often it began to drive me up the wall.

Also I went to a do, and the guest DJ had travelled a very long way, and spent the first 30 minutes of his set playing records that most people have at home, or at least have heard often enough.

I liken it a little to 'Now thats what I call northern Soul volume 203'.

Same night I heard a track I hadnt heard for ten plus years, and it sounded fantastic. It was an old torch track, so you cant get much older than that.

If someone had played a set, with those tracks i listed in my Yate post, i'd have had a crackin time. So I guess its not oldies that are the problem, just getting guys to 'change the record'. Often if you can persuade the Dj to play the stuff they dont normally play, or hear out, you can all be in for a nice surprise.

Social source share

Its become apparent that a lot of people on here dont like oldies and turn their noses up at nights playing oldies.

Why is this.

Being new to the scene i can enjoy all the songs played because they are all still fresh to me. A good position to be in!

Many threads on here have contained posts where people claim to "hate" oldies and cant stand them being played too much at nights.

link

Don't think hate is the right word Paul.

The whole essence of the Northern (in fact IMO any music) scene is to hear new sounds.

While a lot of oldies will be 'new' to you, many people have tired of hearing them for as much as 30+ years.

I would imagine that you want to hear new things to you. Its no different for the older soulies who still, after all these years, have a deep desire to hear something new.

I understand you thinking that oldies are the backbone, but without the likes of Andy Dyson, Butch etc, finding and playing unknown records, studio cuts etc. IMVHO it would quickly stagnate.

While I think Stafford was, to a great extent musically, somewhat overrated, it whet the appetite of people because it turned over records fairly quickly. It gave people a very different playlist from virtually anywhere else.I believe thats why its remembered so fondly. It kept things going at a particularly bleak time.

Steve

Social source share

Hi mate,

I think you've hit the nail on your head yourself when you say that all the tunes are fresh to you as you're relatively new to the scene.

For people (ahem) that have been round a little while, it gets a bit boring if you go to do's reguarly that play the same old records week in week out - basically it gets boring. My own personal view is that it's brilliant to hear progressive stuff and stuff that you don't always hear - I think it's human nature to want to listen/try new things and that's why I try and get to those sorts of do's. It doesn't have to be rare (although often the rare records are good), just different and not something that's been hammered for 20/30 years.

I don't hate oldies - far from it - I personally think any DJ set needs a few records in that are fairly well known, but my personal preference is to hear new good stuff as much as possible. Having said that, again it's horses for courses - there are plenty of well attended oldies nights up and down the country and good luck to the people who attend and enjoy them do's. As I've said on another thread, live and let live, it's a broad church we live in wink.gif

Rich

p.s bas*ard Rovers will get you.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't think hate is the right word Paul.

The whole essence of the Northern (in fact IMO any music) scene is to hear new sounds.

While a lot of oldies will be 'new' to you, many people have tired of hearing them for as much as 30+ years.

I would imagine that you want to hear new things to you. Its no different for the older soulies who still, after all these years, have a deep desire to hear something new.

I understand you thinking that oldies are the backbone, but without the likes of Andy Dyson, Butch etc, finding and playing unknown records, studio cuts etc. IMVHO it would quickly stagnate.

While I think Stafford was, to a great extent musically, somewhat overrated, it whet the appetite of people because it turned over records fairly quickly. It gave people a very different playlist from virtually anywhere else.I believe thats why its remembered so fondly. It kept things going at a particularly bleak time.

Steve

link

I should also have added other Dj's playing lesser known and overlooked records from the past, as this is also an important part of the scene.

Social source share

I understand that no-one wants to hear the same tunes week in week out, who does!

But certain people really do have a problem with oldies in general. I've spoken to a few folk who dont like oldies featuring in a set and do turn their noses up at others enjoying them.

Shane, i dont understand why you think my feelings will change in 12 months but i guess ill have to wait and see! Im not talking about overplayed oldies, but oldies in general.

Social source share

link

I'm tired of hearing a lot of them after 3+ years!! Basically when people say 'oldie' they really mean 'overplaydie' :thumbsup: Except when they say 'underplayed oldie' of course... wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

We will have a chat in 12 months Paul. You will see it all different then mate. Well I hope so!  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

In 12 months Shane I'll still love the "snake" wink.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm thinking, with the amount of CDs available it must be incredibly hard for a DJ to come up with something, old but refreshing. Back in the 70s and 80s there were many fewer compilations so unless you bought the records, you wouldnt get too sick of them unless you only went to the same venues.

Nowadays we can often pick up exclusive tracks on eg a millionaires CD, and after banging away at it at home, when you go out, you might possibly think, oh I am sick of this. 20 years ago, we would often had to have travelled a great distance to hear the tune.

Social source share

I understand that no-one wants to hear the same tunes week in week out, who does!

But certain people really do have a problem with oldies in general. I've spoken to a few folk who dont like oldies featuring in a set and do turn their noses up at others enjoying them.

Shane, i dont understand why you think my feelings will change in 12 months but i guess ill have to wait and see! Im not talking about overplayed oldies, but oldies in general.

link

=======

What I can never quite understand is why people who prefer oldies like myself, have to constantly defend our music selection from those who don't. Has there ever been a post that says.....

Oldies are the one and only way forward, and those that like newies need re-educating. I doubt that there has, cos most of us who like oldies, get on with our lives, go to venues, dance and enjoy ourselves :lol:

Most of the criticism, seems to emanate from those promoting newie venues. It's just my perception, and isn't intended to offend.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Why is this.

link

Paul, it's like anything...if you eat Pot Noodles every day you'll get sick of em...(student analogy :lol: )....Most people with any sense don't diss oldies for being not rare enough, it's mainly cos they're sick to death of hearing them. It's not just oldies tho, it's overplayed anything! How many more times do I wanna hear Bill Bush when I'm out-I originally loved it but I'm bored of it now and want to hear something I've not heard for ages or ever! I know that you know all this and you're just moaning cos you're bored at college :shades: and wanna wind up a few of the oldies on here :lol: know your game!!

Social source share

I'm very much still on the learning curve too, matey.

While I've loved the music ever since I could remember, I've only ever known the music from my Old Man's tapes & his mates.

Since I've started travelling about a bit, I'm constantly hearing new stuff, possibly more now than ever.

If I hear something 'new' and ask what it is, I'm usually getting ribbed with 'What? you don't know what that is?' kinda stuff.

I love my Oldies too, and would say if I'm being honest that they make up the largest part of my collection. Basically that is because when I started buying they were the only records I knew.

After a while you sort of drift sub-consciously to new sounds that you hear. My musical tastes have changed dramatically over the last year, and therefore so have the records that I buy.

That doesn't mean that I won't buy any 'Oldies'; if I see one at a good price I'll have it.

The way I see it is cherish the stuff you know and love, but embrace and search out new sounds at the same time - Don't stand still!!!

Jamie

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

It was Shanes name in the post that sent me down that track. :lol:

Anaconda  :shades:   :lol:   :lol: Antillean threadsnake.  :lol:

link

Shane doesnt treat it very well - keeps threatening to sell it to the zoo

Bad result for you boys last night - Plymouth's first win in how long , mind you you'll walk it against the gooners judging by last nights performance

On the subject - Any logical reason for that goal being ruled out on saturday

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Has anybody got a sound file of this Snake record? :lol:

link

You know it, contains the line " I get my kicks out ion the floor" - is this the one - :shades:

Russ Am I too late to sign up :lol:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Has anybody got a sound file of this Snake record? :shades:

link

You can have a photo by all means , I'll give you the priceless one of it grappling with Shane for ownership of the tv remote - as he wanted to watch location , location whilst Shane wanted to watch a program about ladyboys :lol:

Social source share

I was out in Sheffield at the weekend with my snake. Someone stopped me and said you should take that to the zoo. I took it to the zoo last week, this week we are going ten-pin bowling and then to McDonalds I replied. :lol:

Shane

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I was out in Sheffield at the weekend with my snake. Someone stopped me and said you should take that to the zoo. I took it to the zoo last week, this week we are going ten-pin bowling and then to McDonalds I replied.  :lol:

Shane

link

PART - TIME FATHER!!!!!!

Social source share

I hope if you are bringing your snake out at the weekend it doesn't try to eat Dave's bunny  :shades:

link

Rachel if you want me to get my snake out you only have to ask nicely. :lol::lol:

Social source share

Is that a snake or a simulation of rectal gas ?

link

With hindsight, its remarkably unfunny, but I can't believe nine people have downloaded it. (Probably because they'll all think I'm a tw*t).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!