The Valentines "breakaway" Sound Stage 7

Hello,

Could anyone provide some info on The Valentines? I've recently discovered "Breakaway" and so I'm looking for as much info about the group and the single. From the research I've done, I've come to find out that there are 3 Valentines groups..

1. The Valentines - from Perth that included AC/DC frontman Bon Scott.

2. The Valentines - Philly Doo Wop group that recorded in the 50's.

3. The Valentines - that recorded the 1970 single "Breakaway" for the Sound Stage 7 label - SS7 2663

any info would be great.

thank you in advance

J-

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello,

Could anyone provide some info on The Valentines? I've recently discovered "Breakaway" and so I'm looking for as much info about the group and the single. From the research I've done, I've come to find out that there are 3 Valentines groups..

1. The Valentines - from Perth that included AC/DC frontman Bon Scott.

2. The Valentines - Philly Doo Wop group that recorded in the 50's.

3. The Valentines - that recorded the 1970 single "Breakaway" for the Sound Stage 7 label - SS7 2663

any info would be great.

thank you in advance

J-

Their other one on SS7 is also good crossover.

Social source share

I don't know if it's the same group, but there's a Valentines record on Ludix called 'Mama I have come home' / 'Johnny one heart'

I don't think the SS7 group has connections to any other Valentines group. I could be remembering wrong, but I think the Ludix record is girls (it's not very good, I think I played it once and put it away).

Social source share

I don't think the SS7 group has connections to any other Valentines group. I could be remembering wrong, but I think the Ludix record is girls (it's not very good, I think I played it once and put it away).

hoping the same. not sure why, but I'm suspecting that the SoundStage Valentines are a southern soul group. considering the label they recorded on I just have that feeling. I'm still diggin' but it's a bit tough. not much info listed.

If memory serves me correct though, it look like Manship listed the Ludix record WITH the SoundStage listings. ? huh.gif so.. hmm.. not sure..

cracking tune though!

Social source share

hoping the same. not sure why, but I'm suspecting that the SoundStage Valentines are a southern soul group. considering the label they recorded on I just have that feeling. I'm still diggin' but it's a bit tough. not much info listed.

If memory serves me correct though, it look like Manship listed the Ludix record WITH the SoundStage listings. ? huh.gif so.. hmm.. not sure..

cracking tune though!

the manship guide doesn't really differentiate between groups that have the same name in most cases. They are definitely not the same group. The soul harmony singles book lists another Texas Valentines record on the King Bee label, I don't have the record to compare names with the SS7 though.

Social source share

the manship guide doesn't really differentiate between groups that have the same name in most cases. They are definitely not the same group. The soul harmony singles book lists another Texas Valentines record on the King Bee label, I don't have the record to compare names with the SS7 though.

excellent info... hmm..

I meant to say: I'm hoping they are NOT the same group. I just realized what I typed. thank you again for the clarification.

according to the All Music Guide to Soul: there was another group from Chicago. Most of the band were all brothers and founded by their father. Last name Womack. Not Bobby. But the info does not include any sound stage recordings AND in reality the Valentines they list disbanded by 1969.

Edited by SoulBoy74
Social source share

excellent info... hmm..

I meant to say: I'm hoping they are NOT the same group. I just realized what I typed. thank you again for the clarification.

according to the All Music Guide to Soul: there was another group from Chicago. Most of the band were all brothers and founded by their father. Last name Womack. Not Bobby. But the info does not include any sound stage recordings AND in reality the Valentines they list disbanded by 1969.

All music guide must be wrong (as it frequently is), the group on chess is the VALENTINOS (not the Valentines) and it WAS Bobby Womack's group. The records were recorded in Chicago and some of Bobby's family is in Chicago.

Social source share

All music guide must be wrong (as it frequently is), the group on chess is the VALENTINOS (not the Valentines) and it WAS Bobby Womack's group. The records were recorded in Chicago and some of Bobby's family is in Chicago.

right you are: actually, i got my Valentines / Valentinos mixedup.. laugh.gif - and your are right.. I did a bit more research: Bobby WAS in the group, as one of the performing children. The group was founded by Friendly Womack Sr. that's what I get for trying to reply from work without my notes in front of me!! haha!!

Spot on Boba.

just to clear All Music (in the one instance), the fact error was my mistake and the books notes coincide with the facts you have stated. just coming clean :wicked: .

Edited by SoulBoy74
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!