Politics On The Scene

Is it just me, or are some "promoters" just on the scene to get their hands on our money? You know the ones - the one that can afford to place glossy ads etc all over the place and then charging high entry prices and cramming them in?

We are due to run a charity 'do' on 19th March and it seems to me that we can't succeed - it's costing us a fortune and there's a danger that the charity will make nothing if we can't pull in the punters despite a great venue and a fair entry price.

I don't like the huge, slick, soulless venues myself, but what I do love about the scene is the people - the lovely, generous, warm-hearted people - who love the music.

It is being spoiled by attempts to make it a money-spinning business opportunity?

AM I JUST PARANOID?

DOES ANYONE ELSE AGREE?

KATE

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Is it just me, or are some "promoters" just on the scene to get their hands on our money?  You know the ones - the one that can afford to place glossy ads etc all over the place and then charging high entry prices and cramming them in?

We are due to run a charity 'do' on 19th March and it seems to me that we can't succeed - it's costing us a fortune and there's a danger that the charity will make nothing if we can't pull in the punters despite a great venue and a fair entry price.

I don't like the huge, slick, soulless venues myself, but what I do love about the scene is the people - the lovely, generous, warm-hearted people - who love the music. 

It is being spoiled by attempts to make it a money-spinning business opportunity?

AM I JUST PARANOID?

DOES ANYONE ELSE AGREE?

KATE

link

I agree with you Kate, I wont say anymore :shades::shades:

Social source share

Some promoters do it for money and at least one has told me so himself. It's how they make a living. Nothing wrong with that the venue will stand or fall on it's merits.

Speaking for myself as well as promoting a 'big' event I also DJ at a regular charity night for another organiser. There is no doubt which is the best attended, no doubt which spends the most on promotional materials, no doubt which pays out the most in DJ fees, sound equipment, security, room hire, advertising etc. It may be a suprise to hear that I can make more as a DJ at one than being the promoter of the other.

We don't all do it for the money even at the 'big' events what I've made over the years as a promoter or a DJ wouldn't buy 5% of my record collection.

I really wish you well with your charity night but please don't tar all promoters with the same 'only in it for the money' brush.

Social source share

Some promoters do it for money and at least one has told me so himself. It's how they make a living. Nothing wrong with that the venue will stand or fall on it's merits.

Speaking for myself as well as promoting a 'big' event I also DJ at a regular charity night for another organiser. There is no doubt which is the best attended, no doubt which spends the most on promotional materials, no doubt which pays out the most in DJ fees, sound equipment, security, room hire, advertising etc. It may be a suprise to hear that I can make more as a DJ at one than being the promoter of the other.

We don't all do it for the money even at the 'big' events what I've made over the years as a promoter or a DJ wouldn't buy 5% of my record collection.

I really wish you well with your charity night but please don't tar all promoters with the same 'only in it for the money' brush.

link

I dont know Kate, but Im sure, like me, dont tar all with the same, only some! :shades:

Social source share

Too be honest I try to support the smaller venue rather than the highly promoted large venue nowadays, main reason for me is I don't like crowded venues, and also I find the music played at large venues not to my personnal taste.

For some reason though The Northern Soul scene does seem to attract promoters who like to make " Big Bucks ", it's always been that way...........

Social source share

link

===========

I think you should re-read Kate's post Ged.....the first line is

"Is it just me, or are some "promoters" just on the scene to get their hands on our money"?

Using the word SOME indicates that she is NOT tarring all with the same brush. You also respond using the word "Some" in your reply, I take it that means you're diffentiating between promoters....or are you tarring all with the same brush? :shades:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

You have to remember that the big events cost thousands to stage. If someone is putting £10k up to promote an event they will have to be agressive in the market place to ensure a return. Profit is essential for all events.

People like Chris Waterman at New Century gets the balance right in my opinion. He will stage big events but will be seen out and about at the smaller events every week.

Shane

Social source share

===========

I think you should re-read Kate's post Ged.....the first line is

"Is it just me, or are some "promoters" just on the scene to get their hands on our money"?

Using the word SOME indicates that she is NOT tarring all with the same brush. You also respond using the word "Some" in your reply, I take it that means you're diffentiating between promoters....or are you tarring all with the same brush? :shades:

link

Point taken Winnie :lol: Like I said to Karen I think I know who Kate means anyway. I just don't want to be thought of, by anyone, as a promoter who is out for a fast buck. When promoting a venue is costing you hard earned money that you could be spending on vinyl people assuming you are coining it in gets a little wearing. I'm an over sensitive soul at times :shades::)

Social source share

in my opinion it is a little naive to expect promoters not to want to make some money out of the night(s) they promote. It is often hard work, involving lots of time and money which should be rewarded in some way .... and when all is said and done there is some degree of gamble involved. Most promoters will have a break even point they must achieve in order not to be out of pocket. Often the bigger the venue the bigger the gamble.

Also, there seems to be some resentment aimed at people who earn a living from promoting on the northern soul scene. I'm sure a lot of people actually would like to be able to do the same ...... working in an area they love and making money! Who wouldn't? These promoters I'm sure put a lot of time, effort and thought into what they do. And why shouldn't they want to strive to offer quality ... whether it be in terms of venue, flyers, adverts or whatever?

I think its unfortunate when charity events cannot get off the ground though. I'm sure you will find DJ's willing to play for free ...... but less sure that you will find club owners or flyer companies willing to do the same. These things do cost.

Social source share

I don't think we should complain about anyone who is willing to spend their time (paid or unpaid) promoting soul events, just be glad we have a choice of soul venues to suit everyones taste, I don't think there is anywhere else in the world that has as many soul gigs/venues as we do :shades:

Social source share

You have to remember that the big events cost thousands to stage. If someone is putting £10k up to promote an event they will have to be agressive in the market place to ensure a return. Profit is essential for all events.

People like Chris Waterman at New Century gets the balance right in my opinion. He will stage big events but will be seen out and about at the smaller events every week.

Shane

link

HI ya, I dont know Chris Waterman but I appreciate seeing promoters going to others do's - small &/or big, to support others, that's how it should be, also being friendly to all - not just who's who, also helps in my book. It normally means that the person is a 'nice/good' person, not 'plastic' and deserves the respect and 'following' they get, i.e. Terry Jones, Gavin P and the underrated Taff (Letchworth) to name a few. :shades::shades:

Social source share

link

on this point too ..... if you have a great venue and fair price i think people will attend. you will have to consider if other events are on in your area at the same time as this will have an impact. if you make any profit i'm sure the charity concerned will be grateful. maybe in the end though, if you feel that you will lose money it might be an idea to try to raise money in some other way.

Social source share

I don't think we should complain about anyone who is willing to spend their time (paid or unpaid) promoting soul events, just be glad we have a choice of soul venues to suit everyones taste, I don't think there is anywhere else in the world that has as many soul gigs/venues as we do :shades:

link

I agree, but I also think there is a limit to Promoters making TOO much money out of people

Social source share

I agree, but I also think there is a limit to Promoters making TOO much money out of people

link

Nobody forces anyone to go anywhere. If they're making money then good luck to them, we all have to eat.

You lot don't half take this stuff seriously don't you, yet you're scared to name names, if you've got something to say about someone why not say it instead of implying things all the time?

Social source share

Totally agree, if promoters truly loved the music they would at least go for non-profit, unfortunately we dont live in that type of world.

link

what a load of rubbish!

No organisation can survive without profit. How many £10k events could New Century promote until Chris has no money?

To put it another way, what if you was to go to an event and the turn out was very poor. Thr promoter at the end of the night gets on the mic and says 'i know the entry fee was £5 but because of the low turn-out i need another £30 off you all to cover costs'

What would you do Gary? Could you manage this every week?

Why shouldnt promoters make money? The venues get money, the bar takes money, the cleaners get paid, the security get paid and sometimes the DJ's.

Even Oxfam has a wage bill.

Shane

Social source share

Nobody forces anyone to go anywhere.  If they're making money then good luck to them, we all have to eat.

You lot don't half take this stuff seriously don't you, yet you're scared to name names, if you've got something to say about someone why not say it instead of implying things all the time?

link

Absolutely agree, everyone has a choice...........I'm just glad we have people who are willing to promote soul music in the UK, they deserve every penny they make for giving us a good time.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Totally agree, if promoters truly loved the music they would at least go for non-profit, unfortunately we dont live in that type of world.

link

I've never thought about how much a promoter makes by running a succesful soul night or niter.

I, possibly naievly, feel that they are northern Soul fans, first and foremost. And more ofetn than not collectors. If a guy makes £300 from a night, after all expenses, he is lucky if he can afford a copy of his favourite Shrine record he has been after for 20 years.

What is the problem, if he uses the money for that, or to pay his gas bill or whatever. If he has been promoting, it has probably taken up hours and hours of time.

And its not all about profitable nights either. I tried, and will still be trying to get an event off the ground here in South Wales. There was certainly no money in the first night, and the 3 excellent DJs we asked to play for us, refused any payment for their work. In return, we will always respect them as people, and will be trying to repay their faith in Pounds Sterling, asap. But then, what we were offering them wouldnt have covered the cardboard record covers in their boxes.

Most promoters, in fact all, I would say all, do it because of their love of Soul music. Some allow business ideas take precedence, and Northern Soul people rebel against that. It is in our blood. Its part of what makes Northern Soul, Northern Soul. But good luck to every promoter who makes himself a quid. Because before he does, printers, Venues, Bar Staff, DJs and mates who help, often get their money first, and often, when the promoter has made a loss.

Stafford being the obvious one. Did anyone resent the team earning their dough at the anniversarys or 'live' niters, when they might have run a dozen beforehand that had all barely broken even??

Social source share

We live in a capitalist society, ie; people go out to work for money, if someone puts on a good event and gets their pound of flesh, then i could care less, if someone puts on a poor event, then he/she won't be putting on many more.

I don't really believe that anyone can run a succesful Rare Soul event, without a least a modicum of passion for the music........but then again i don't run one.

Social source share

link

If this is there business then how can they feed themselves on no profit....Would you say the same about record dealers also..Promoters can love the scene and the people and make some profit...Its how some treat other people that gets to me...Some promoters will talk to you and thank you for coming,they are part of the soul scene and get as much out of it as we do....And then there are the others....You all know who and who does not treat you with respect...

Social source share

Nobody forces anyone to go anywhere.  If they're making money then good luck to them, we all have to eat.

link

Pete I wont even go there - many reasons, I have stated my own particular 'upsets' for things concerning me/someone close, to people, and dont thing it achieves much if you do name names (whether me or anyone else) on here, as not fair on them to put their side forward and sounds like sh*t stirring/bitchiness, sure you must agree, people who know me know I dont really like slagging people down unless I believe I have good reason but I also appreciate my friends and respect that without all info. people dont want to be dragged into things or be involved when it's not their 'argument'. I believe we should respect that, like I try to, wot you see is what you get from me, I try not to be (& dont like) be false, people normally end up seeing you for what you are anyway! Probably not the answer you want but the only one I will say on this matter. :shades:

Social source share

Absolutely agree, everyone has a choice...........I'm just glad we have people who are willing to promote soul music in the UK, they deserve every penny they make for giving us a good time.

link

I agree with this sentiment. What constitutes a rip off? I pay between £8 for a soul night £10 for allnighter - £12 Crossfire and they are all worth it. It isn't really my concern of how much profit a promoter makes, as stated I'm just glad there are nights we can go to.

Social source share

Pete I wont even go there - many reasons, I have stated my own particular 'upsets' for things concerning me/someone close, to people, and dont thing it achieves much if you do name names (whether me or anyone else) on here, as not fair on them to put their side forward and sounds like sh*t stirring/bitchiness, sure you must agree, people who know me know I dont really like slagging people down unless I believe I have good reason but I also appreciate my friends and respect that without all info. people dont want to be dragged into things or be involved when it's not their 'argument'.  I believe we should respect that, like I try to, wot you see is what you get from me, I try not to be (& dont like) be false, people normally end up seeing you for what you are anyway!  Probably not the answer you want but the only one I will say on this matter.  :shades:

link

Sorry I wasn't actually aiming that at YOU personally, just at people who keep making underhand comments but won't name names and leave it all very ambiguous. And that leads to people thinking you're talking about the wrong guys.

For instance, anyone coming new to this would think that this topic is about Kev Roberts. Yet he also makes ambiguous statements about 'followers' and hints at certain promoters.

All as bad as each other.

That Chris Waterman seems nice though. :shades:

Social source share

Pete I wont even go there - many reasons, I have stated my own particular 'upsets' for things concerning me/someone close, to people, and dont thing it achieves much if you do name names (whether me or anyone else) on here, as not fair on them to put their side forward and sounds like sh*t stirring/bitchiness, sure you must agree, people who know me know I dont really like slagging people down unless I believe I have good reason but I also appreciate my friends and respect that without all info. people dont want to be dragged into things or be involved when it's not their 'argument'.  I believe we should respect that, like I try to, wot you see is what you get from me, I try not to be (& dont like) be false, people normally end up seeing you for what you are anyway!  Probably not the answer you want but the only one I will say on this matter.  :shades:

link

Thats the way to go Karen..The false people will always be shown up for what they are,sooner or sometimes much later....but always.. :shades: ..

Social source share

I've never thought about how much a promoter makes by running a succesful soul night or niter.

I, possibly naievly, feel that they are northern Soul fans, first and foremost. And more ofetn than not collectors. If a guy makes £300 from a night, after all expenses, he is lucky if he can afford a copy of his favourite Shrine record he has been after for 20 years.

What is the problem, if he uses the money for that, or to pay his gas bill or whatever. If he has been promoting, it has probably taken up hours and hours of time.

And its not all about profitable nights either. I tried, and will still be trying to get an event off the ground here in South Wales. There was certainly no money in the first night, and the 3 excellent DJs we asked to play for us, refused any payment for their work. In return, we will always respect them as people, and will be trying to repay their faith in  Pounds Sterling, asap. But then, what we were offering them wouldnt have covered the cardboard record covers in their boxes.

Most promoters, in fact all, I would say all, do it because of their love of Soul music. Some allow business ideas take precedence, and Northern Soul people rebel against that. It is in our blood. Its part of what makes Northern Soul, Northern Soul. But good luck to every promoter who makes himself a quid. Because before he does, printers, Venues, Bar Staff, DJs and mates who help, often get their money first, and often, when the promoter has made a loss.

Stafford being the obvious one. Did anyone resent the team earning their dough at the anniversarys or 'live' niters, when they might have run a dozen beforehand that had all barely broken even??

link

=======================

i take my hat off to all promoters

ive done soul nights for over 20 years large and small and its a pain in the ass

and many times a thankless task

but in lots of ways it s rewarding not just if you make a bob or two but for me personally having people come and pay to come to your venue and dance to your records

ive always paid dj's who have spun for me ,even if its only petrol money..

putting a soul nite on these days is so risky because of the amount of guys wanting to there bit for whatever reasons,clashing is almost inevitable so you run the risk of reduced numbers if discussion is not entered into with rival promoters..

getting established is the key thing and once youve done that youre lauging but it takes alot of work and time to get it up and running and then to keep doing it and its so easy to criticize the likes of Kev Roberts and new century but they are akin to getting it right and deserve all the success they get as do the one s that run the supporting venues week in week out

regards

fluff

Social source share

I too favour the smaller venue in terms of atmosphere etc, always have but that's just me, from a DJ point of view you can't beat playing a set infront of a 1000 plus people it's a blast and nothing comes close, forget the money as 'Ged' said the DJ fees don't even come close to covering the vinyl addiction.

As for promoters making a buck why not, again they put a lot on the line, if they make it then everyone gets a slice of the pie and if they fall short then in most cases everyone gets paid it's part of the game, reputation often rises above making loads of money, when i was running the likes of Hyde Town Hall, Concord Suite, Bridge Hall Bury way back the money i took from the coffee bar often paid the DJ's and certainly was a labour of love, yes you hit the jackpot now and again and have a bumper night is that so wrong?

One off the best financial situations i was involved in was the Bettye Lavette alldayer in Blackpool a few years ago with Rolly Ferguson and Karl, ok we had approx 1150 paying people, do the math here, the event to stage, her fee, PA hire, hotels, flights for her and the band, meals, advertising, DJ's, Flyers. venue hire, security staff, phone calls, six months hard work, petrol and lots more things cost around £1350.00 yes thirteen thousand pounds!! and after everything was met, expences paid we walked away with our investment back of £1000.00 pounds we fronted as working money each, now thats a big risk to front £13K to make £6K split three was £2K each, if you break that money down over the six months it took to promote then it's little more than a good drink for your efforts. Yes £2k is a lot of money and i was so pleased with it, but far more happy that we pulled it off and it was a good event.

I do my 9 to 5 thing for my living Northern Soul is yes a passion but and sometimes i like too get involved with the odd promotion, i tried doing it full time and it's a hard game to be in, i salute all promoters and thank them for their efforts, we need venues to attend and we need promoters to run them, where would we be if there were none????

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Social source share

I can sympathise with your view regarding how your attendance figures may be affected by other events on the same night, particularly the larger ones, and I presume you are talking about Kings Hall, as that is probably the major event of that night.

To be fair to Kev Roberts, he has advertised that date (March 19th) for Kings Hall for many many months, and he promotes it as he has always promoted it, so you can't really complain about it being on the same night as your event...in hindsight you would have been better off keeping away from that date altogether.

Kev would probably love everybody to think that way, giving him a free date on all his events, but my point being, if you are trying to raise money for a Charity you should try to ensure that you plan things such as dates to work out the best that they can for your event, and clashing with Kings Hall is not really good planning, as would clashing with Prestatyn and the rest.

Promoting any event, small or large takes time, money and effort...as you are well aware from your own post.

The majority of events that I co-promote make very little profit, as Ged pointed out, less than a DJ wage usually, and even then it is a gamble on whether a profit is achieved....it may not be the promoters goal to make money, but it a relief when the breakeven is achieved, and a result if you go home with a few quid in your arse pocket.

As for glossy ads / flyers - they do cost more to produce, but effectively pay for themselves by getting noticed by more people, and thus adding numbers to the door....again, it is a gamble to outlay for such promotion, but it is the promoters decision to take that gamble and he /she shouldn't be criticised for promoting correctly.

Going back to your charity night - perhaps it is an idea to ask the promoters of the other events advertised on Soul Source for that date to have a collection for your chosen charity on their night, or even make a charitable donation themselves.

What really amazes me about this scene though, is how everybody moans about the politics, and as soon as a thread about such gets posted, everyone gets involved...great innit :shades:

Mace

Social source share

What really amazes me about this scene though, is how everybody moans about the politics, and as soon as a thread about such gets posted, everyone gets involved...great innit  :shades:

Mace

link

Think the reason why people moan, coz they get fed up with it and dont want it! It is meant to be the scene that we are 'on' coz we like the music, dancing, people, etc. and coz it is (and known to be) friendly, all the above is why Im on it anyway, I also like other soul music and have been to 'different' clubs but I find they are not so friendly, I dont dress anything like the 'women' on there and stand out a mile, whereby on our scene, how you dress is not really an issue, which is good. I tend to dance a lot and (not often) get drunk, Im not slagging down that 'scene' but it's just not for me, even though I do like the music, each to their own!

Social source share

I can sympathise with your view regarding how your attendance figures may be affected by other events on the same night, particularly the larger ones, and I presume you are talking about Kings Hall, as that is probably the major event of that night.

To be fair to Kev Roberts, he has advertised that date (March 19th) for Kings Hall for many many months, and he promotes it as he has always promoted it, so you can't really complain about it being on the same night as your event...in hindsight you would have been better off keeping away from that date altogether.

Kev would probably love everybody to think that way, giving him a free date on all his events, but my point being, if you are trying to raise money for a Charity you should try to ensure that you plan things such as dates to work out the best that they can for your event, and clashing with Kings Hall is not really good planning, as would clashing with Prestatyn and the rest.

Promoting any event, small or large takes time, money and effort...as you are well aware from your own post.

The majority of events that I co-promote make very little profit, as Ged pointed out, less than a DJ wage usually, and even then it is a gamble on whether a profit is achieved....it may not be the promoters goal to make money, but it a relief when the breakeven is achieved, and a result if you go home with a few quid in your arse pocket.

As for glossy ads / flyers - they do cost more to produce, but effectively pay for themselves by getting noticed by more people, and thus adding numbers to the door....again, it is a gamble to outlay for such promotion, but it is the promoters decision to take that gamble and he /she shouldn't be criticised for promoting correctly.

Going back to your charity night - perhaps it is an idea to ask the promoters of the other events advertised on Soul Source for that date to have a collection for your chosen charity on their night, or even make a charitable donation themselves.

What really amazes me about this scene though, is how everybody moans about the politics, and as soon as a thread about such gets posted, everyone gets involved...great innit  :shades:

Mace

link

=========

CANT DISAGREE THERE MACE

Social source share

Is it just me, or are some "promoters" just on the scene to get their hands on our money?  You know the ones - the one that can afford to place glossy ads etc all over the place and then charging high entry prices and cramming them in?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

£10 or £12 these days is pretty cheap for an allniter.hardly a high entry price for 9/10 hours of soul.

if you cant afford it dont go.it really is that simple.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

again why moan if you dont like em dont go.

would be interested to hear what venues are souless.guess we must visit different venues.

really if you wanna slag somink off at least have the decency to name it.

AM I JUST PARANOID?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and very bitter

DOES ANYONE ELSE AGREE?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no

KATE

link

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Fair Play To The Promoters,Spending Money Before Youve Acctually earned Any Money Is The Riskyest Kind Of Business And Can Work Both Ways.

Places Like Kings Hall Must Cost A Fortune To Hire Out , At Least These Days There Are Some Cracking Venues ,Remember The 80's,Schools And Leisure Centres .

What About The Rave Scene ,Now That Was A Bleedin Rip Off,

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

having read these i think the reason for promotion should be when there is a gap in the market that you don't think is being catered for ...that way there isn't so many of the same do's ...

if however you put on the same do as someone else then people will assume you do it for money , and if you do thats fine but as stevie says you will be found out and if the scene doesn't respect you no amount of promotion will help you .

so anyone thinkin of promotion ...do it for the right reasons

Davie

Social source share

To pick on one major promoter, I am not keen on Kev Roberts' style of promotion or his kind of do but to be fair to Kev I very much doubt he is making extravagant amounts of money out of the 2004 northern scene even with big venues and big crowds. I'm sure there was huge money to be made in the 70s with weekly niters crammed to the roof but I can't believe anyone is making serious wedge now. Like Mark Bicknell said above, two grand for the risk, the stress and six months' work ain't a big return.

Promoters have all sorts of motives but turning themselves into millionaires can't be one of them.

Social source share

Whatever happened to midweek events?  There used to be loads.  Lafayette, Halesowen Tiffanies etc Bring them back I say.

link

Yep and I bleedin' worked at most of them for the International Soul Club.

Funny isn't it, I remember Alan Day pointing out Chris Burton as 'Mr. Burton' and asked 'to show respect'. Chris would be the first to tell you he was in it for the money. And that was 1972!

I have been with the scene for 33 years and yet am criticised by some for making money out of it!

POLITICS...Folks just love it, and it keeps SOUL SOURCE alive.

Social source share

To pick on one major promoter, I am not keen on Kev Roberts' style of promotion or his kind of do but to be fair to Kev I very much doubt he is making extravagant amounts of money out of the 2004 northern scene even with big venues and big crowds. I'm sure there was huge money to be made in the 70s with weekly niters crammed to the roof but I can't believe anyone is making serious wedge now. Like Mark Bicknell said above, two grand for the risk, the stress and six months' work ain't a big return.

Promoters have all sorts of motives but turning themselves into millionaires can't be one of them.

link

Well said Dan. Now where's that fiver, I have another cigar to light!

Social source share

Think the reason why people moan, coz they get fed up with it and dont want it!  It is meant to be the scene that we are 'on' coz we like the music, dancing, people, etc. and coz it is (and known to be) friendly, all the above is why Im on it anyway, I also like other soul music and have been to 'different' clubs but I find they are not so friendly, I dont dress anything like the 'women' on there and stand out a mile, whereby on our scene, how you dress is not really an issue, which is good.  I tend to dance a lot and (not often) get drunk, Im not slagging down that 'scene' but it's just not for me, even though I do like the music, each to their own!

link

ooooh yes and so beautifully said karen x whistling.gif

Social source share

Agree with both Taffy and KarenB comments. Most people do moan about the politics because they are so BORED and NAFFED OFF with hearing the same old arguments regurgated over and over and over again. KarenB hit the nail firmly on the head - we are into for the music, the people and the good times. Anything else doesn't matter.

Social source share

:thumbsup:

what a load of rubbish!

No organisation can survive without profit. How many £10k events could New Century promote until Chris has no money?

To put it another way, what if you was to go to an event and the turn out was very poor. Thr promoter at the end of the night gets on the mic and says 'i know the entry fee was £5 but because of the low turn-out i need another £30 off you all to cover costs'

What would you do Gary? Could you manage this every week?

Why shouldnt promoters make money? The venues get money, the bar takes money, the cleaners get paid, the security get paid and sometimes the DJ's.

Even Oxfam has a wage bill.

Shane

link

Actually when you put it like that Shane your absolutely right, i was wrong in what i said, of course people need to make money for these events to go ahead and of course to live, i retract my statement. Ill try to curb my communist tendancies in future whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Gaz,

Edited by Gary1
Social source share

I think everybody has coverd the angles so far in this debate, I can only quote from my own experience.

Me and Billy the boot (or billytheboot and I) have been running the Friendship Pure soul nights for two years In Barnsley we have yet to break even.

At first we had a lot of give aways, such as, I did an A5 12 page pure soul music review that we gave away, promoting records, a bit of soul history, that kind of thing. (they were that good people were wanting them from as far away as Canada and Australia), SHANE you got one did you like them?....... the cost to get them done wasnt covered on the door and it was hurting me personally financially so they had to stop.

We set out to have a venue that was there for promoting music, not for self gain (that was our choice) and weve maintained that ethos, we barley get a tenner each or even a drink once weve paid the guests and other overheads but we do get what we want in the end.

AN EVENING OF PURE SOUL MUSIC ACROSS THE BOARD (keeping it real)

(the Friendship Gawber Road Barnsley Last Friday of every month)

There now, I feel like one of the top rank promoters with that little ending whistling.gif

On a serious note we dont make anything, any new vinyl comes out of the shopping money when the wifes not looking and its hard work week after week getting to venues printing flyers and generally keeping the venue alive,

So is it bad that some make money out of it?...not at all theve probably worked their nuts off..and I do sympathise with the lead thread on the charity score thats tough,Not everyone will help out and do flyers, or hire the room etc for nothing (tried it).

Geordie

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Actually when you put it like that Shane your absolutely right, i was wrong in what i said, of course people need to make money for these events to go ahead and of course to live, i retract my statement. Ill try to curb my communist tendancies in future whistling.gif   :thumbsup:

Gaz,

link

your world would be better though Gary. Its just not going to happen though mate. :wicked:

Shane

Social source share

I think everybody has coverd the angles so far in this debate

Best of luck with your charity night Kate. whistling.gif

Cheers

Roger

Edited by dodger
Social source share

One angle hasn't been covered . . . is this 'charrideee' night actually for real (there's been no details posted for it other than it's planned for the same date as a major event that's had this date booked for many months, and no info/profile on 'Kate') or was it just made up to try and validate another excuse for another daft pop at Kev?  The cynic in me would go with the latter whistling.gif

link

Actually it is in the Events guide under March 19th (SOUL POWer Charity Night)

Post was made for events listing by same ID as original post, so maybe wise to double check before posting such an accusation and maybe post an apology......

Social source share

maybe post an apology......

link

Nahhhh, I'll pass on the apology if it's the all the same to you. How about an apology for the original needless pop in the original posting.

Social source share

One angle hasn't been covered . . . is this 'charrideee' night actually for real (there's been no details posted for it other than it's planned for the same date as a major event that's had this date booked for many months, and no info/profile on 'Kate') or was it just made up to try and validate another excuse for another daft pop at Kev?  The cynic in me would go with the latter :thumbsup:

link

Hey dodger seen that a few times, but the lead thread is Kosher and although a bit harsh in your wording this sort of thing does go on have actually seen it myself..

but an apol to kate wouldnt go amiss thumbsup.gif

Social source share

One angle hasn't been covered . . . is this 'charrideee' night actually for real (there's been no details posted for it other than it's planned for the same date as a major event that's had this date booked for many months, and no info/profile on 'Kate') or was it just made up to try and validate another excuse for another daft pop at Kev?  The cynic in me would go with the latter thumbsup.gif

link

Not much info/profile on "dodger", either!

And at least Kate is an fairly conventional name!

Couple of questions mate:

Do you share a computer with another member?

How often do you let this "cynic" get into you? You could be on the wrong type of forum :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

One angle hasn't been covered . . . is this 'charrideee' night actually for real (there's been no details posted for it other than it's planned for the same date as a major event that's had this date booked for many months, and no info/profile on 'Kate') or was it just made up to try and validate another excuse for another daft pop at Kev?  The cynic in me would go with the latter wink.gif

link

=======

No profile info on you either, so basically you could be anybody. Think you should apologise you ignorant tw*t!!

Social source share