I HAD TO LAUGH...OR CRY?

grant

KICKING OFF MY SPOT AT STOCKPORT GUILD HALL ON FRIDAY WITH CHUCK JACKSON 'ALL OVER THE WORLD 12", ONE OF THE PISSED UP MORONS CAME UP TO (SORRY STUMBLED UP TO) THE DECKS & ASKED IF I COULD PLAY SOME NORTHERN!! THE FUNNY THING IS, HALF AN HOUR LATER I WAS PLAYING A REQUEST 'INTERPLAY' DEREK AND RAY AND THE SAME PLONKER CAME UP TO THE DECKS TO SEE WHAT IT WAS AS HE HAD NEVER HEARD OF IT BEFORE!!! I GIVE UP!! THE LADS KNOWLEDGE OF 'NORTHERN' OVERWHELMED ME...WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?

STILL ALL THE FUN OF DJING I SUPPOSE.

BY THE WAY THE WAY THERE WASNT A SPACE TO BE HAD ON THE DANCEFLOOR WHEN THE CJ TRACK WAS ON!!

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well Grant, I guess that answers your question. Packed floor .... modern tunes..... modern tunes always appeal to the unitiated general public due to the resemblance to Disco and Popular Dance Music. All i'm saying is that the apppeal of Modern tracks is not necessarily the SOUL, but more the popular beat. In other words all those people dancing were more interested in the beat than the soul. But thats okay, because when people started getting into northern its always used to the popular sound that got them into it in the first place, before they started to understand it.

I'll get me coat!!!!!

Social source share

No u r not gettin the point - the floor was packed to Chuck Jackson becos most of the people in there liked the tune and appreciated it , the piss head who wanted 'northern' obviously didnt appreciate it because it didnt sound like Dobie Gray or something that he could attach himself to when he probably went to some youth club in 1974. The fact that he came and asked what f******n 'Interplay' was says it all - after his aggressive little outburst of ' r u playin some northern or what mate'.

2 points here

1. i wasnt his mate

2. he caught me in a good mood

while i'm on - yep forgot to log on again (more slapped wrists from mike-hu) i would like to say it was nice to meet a soul-source regular at the guild hall on friday - linda - r u reading!! get yourself signed on !!!

to all the soulies

ktf

grant

Social source share

Unfortunately the unsavoury element do tend to gatecrash soul nights, taking the piss etc. seen it happen a few times, caused trouble etc. problem is the doormen cant tell a genuine soulie from a townie type pisshead, usually they are not that pissed on entry and get in easy enough. bEST thing to do is just humour them , we nver know we just might convert the odd one (not!). Dont let 'em grind ya down!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I remember a great announcement from Hippo at the Bristol Hotel in Gloucester, after being asked for Tainted Love for the 1000th time. It went something like 'There seems to be some misunderstanding. This is a Northern Soul night! If any body came in expecting to hear some Top of the Pops rubbish, they can collect their entrance money on the way out. Thank You'.

Cant tell you what he said to me when I went over and asked for Skiing in the Snow.

Social source share

Oddly enough Mikey, I didnt get asked for Tainted Love on Friday, but i did get asked for Reet Petite. I am polite though in apologising that I didnt bring it with me!Still if the Tainted Loves keep the floor happy, then play them but problem is as i find with my spot (last hour! also known as 'the bars shut now so lets dance, go and ask for 9 times out of 10 hour!'(LOL),that once you play one of them you get swamped with requests for these type of tunes - they dont want to listen to anything else, then u get earache of the real soulies who obviously want to hear the 'other' stuff.

Keep 'em happy

Grant

Social source share

Hi Grant,

As you can see I'm reading...... nice to put a face to the name.....there were certainly a lot v 'em about on Friday....got the one with no shoes n socks on and can't repeat what I was asked at the bar.....classy venue the Guild Hall !! May c u on a dancefloor again sometime .....Orwell or Alsager Fri/ NCH Sat

Take care

LLx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!