Is It Acceptable?

...to just go to a do, have a few beers, get merry and generally have a good time?

Or should I worry about:

What other people think?

How I dance?

Should I try any tricks?

Do I know the title/artist/label (each and every issue)/producer of the sound I just liked?

What colour the artist is?

Is it vinyl/CD/acetate?

Is the promoter doing it for the love of the scene or making any money?

Or am I just being anal?

Social source share

• Replies 98
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

hmmmm, tricky one! I think you've left quite a lot out there Vinnie and obviously should have posted this question BEFORE going to any venue (doh!) Obviously you are a newbie that hasn't studied the 1001 political questions regarding Northern Soul and the scene in general. I suggest that you refrain from going to any further events until you have establshed firmly which side of the fence you are on and can argue in a boring and offensive manner, be set in your ways and not be swayed by the fantastic music on offer at all. Hope this helps :-)))

Social source share

Guest mattmale

...to just go to a do, have a few beers, get merry and generally have a good time?

Or should I worry about:

What other people think?

How I dance?

Should I try any tricks?

Do I know the title/artist/label (each and every issue)/producer of the sound I just liked?

Is it vinyl/CD/acetate?

Or am I just being anal?

link

The answer is no, don't worry about anything. Leave the worrying to the promoter.

When i was a teenager in the early 80s all of those things were life and death issues but when i got back into things about ten years ago, after a long break, i was nervous and went to a few places on my own at first. It is scary, but very quickly it was like pulling on an old and familiar pair of underpants :thumbsup: , and now it feels like i've never been away. :thumbsup:

Best scene in the world, best music ever created. whistling.gif

Matt

Social source share

Or should I worry about:

What other people think?

How I dance?

Should I try any tricks?

Is it vinyl/CD/acetate?

Or am I just being anal?

link

No your not Vinnie, I sometimes wonder the same things myself, if i've been to a Kev Roberts do i'd say to myself god he must be rolling in it, but just think what it would cost to run it, on the vinyl front I don't have a politically correct attitude to someone playing the odd re-issue or boot just as long as its not all night, CD's are a definate nono, but if your in a modern room, which i'm never then some tracks are only available on CD so thats they're perogitive, I think we all think that way sometimes although I don't think many people who use these pages would admit it, sometimes its hard to put these questions out of your head, especially if the night your at is crap whistling.gif

Edited by BIGSOULMAN
Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Or should I worry about:

What other people think?

Should I try any tricks?

link

pulling stuff out of hats is a definate no no, allthough there was a guy at Prestatyn last year playing a flute whistling.gif , also some bastard made a load of handbags disapear :angry:

...................Andrew

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

pulling stuff out of hats is a definate no no, allthough there was a guy at Prestatyn last year playing a flute  whistling.gif , also some bastard made a load of handbags disapear :angry: 

...................Andrew

link

some tricks could be good though.

if a dj plays more than two played out oldies,press a button,,cloud of smoke and the f@*ker dissapears

if the next dj plays doowop maybe a spell in a box and some sharp swords may get the message across.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

some tricks could be good though.

if a dj plays more than two played out oldies,press a button,,cloud of smoke and the f@*ker dissapears

if the next dj plays doowop maybe a spell in a  box and some sharp swords may get the message across.

link

I love a bit of doowop :thumbsup: i,ve got another trick when you want a pint go to the modern room, there's always room at the bar whistling.gif

..................Andrew

Social source share

Vinnie

it's not acceptable to wear Thomas Magnum shirts with Mini Me trousers

like our friend above  whistling.gif   :thumbsup:

........Andrew

link

Cheers mate I'll add that to my list. Think I'm slowly getting an understanding.

What's the Northern Soul rule on talc?

Should I stick with roll on?

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Cheers mate I'll add that to my list. Think I'm slowly getting an understanding.

What's the Northern Soul rule on talc?

Should I stick with roll on?

link

A good tip with talc: get all your mates around you then bend over a load of talc and shape it into a small line and pretend to snort it up, fucking hillarious, never get tired of seeing that, makes me laugh every time :thumbsup: ive just bought a ex council gritter and i will be filling it to the brim with talc and driving it to Prestatyn so LOOK OUT i'm going to have that floor looking like Scarface's desk whistling.gif:thumbsup:

more is better

.............Andrew

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Vinnie, the rule on talc is simple - spread a shit load on the dancefloor then f**k off and let everyone else deal with the grief it causes!!! Are you sure you've been to a northern event?

link

========

Totally agree with Neil here, the most annoying thing in the world, someone with talc just for show whistling.gif

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Vinnie, the rule on talc is simple - spread a shit load on the dancefloor then f**k off and let everyone else deal with the grief it causes!!!

link

Hmmmm,

So talc and roll on (off) are the same thing then. This gets more and more complicated.

Social source share

Vinnie - talc and roll on are 2 different things - one is something people put on the floor to p*** me and Winnie off and the other is a phrase heard often whilst Miscief the Chav lover is DJing - as in 'roll on the next DJ and decent music' - hope this helps you

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

on the dancing question

I tend to go for the Forest Gump slyle (you know what i mean, pretend your wearing callipers) looking more like Fred Elliott than Billy Elliott also a good tip if you want to make lots of friends try dancing whillst holding 2 pints, you will be amazed at how many people come up to you and say "welldone you look realy good"

i had a chat with the guy last year who had won the dance competition in the Modern room and he said that he had a stone in his shoe and was only walking to the bar whistling.gif

...........Andrew

Social source share

sorry whats going on here... minding me own business.. and its pick on Mischief night...

I'm not a chav. I only own one item of burberry!!

link

And what's this "Burberry"?

I thought that was a kind of muffin?

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

"does any one know who this is"

Think this may be the same guy

link

Col is it the Pregnant man experiment

or the Ian Levine backing singers whistling.gif

..........Andrew

Social source share

i had a chat with the guy last year who had won the dance competition in the Modern room and he said that he had a stone in his shoe and was only walking to the bar :thumbsup:

...........Andrew

link

PMSL Andrew thats the funniest post Ive read in ages thumbsup.gif

Social source share

on the dancing question

I tend to go for the  Forest Gump slyle (you know what i mean, pretend your wearing callipers) looking more like Fred Elliott than Billy Elliott  also a good tip if you want to make lots of friends try dancing whillst holding 2 pints, you will be amazed at  how many people come up to you and say "welldone you look realy good"

i had a chat with the guy last year who had won the dance competition in the Modern room and he said that he had a stone in his shoe and was only walking to the bar :thumbsup:

...........Andrew

link

========

:thumbsup::wicked:

I have a mate who describes his own dancing like that of a wounded gnu thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

hi i'm Mr Chav and i've just got in, been hanging around outside the shops innit just found out Little Miss Slapper is up the duff BASTARD INNIT !

post-1572-1109290683_thumb.jpg

Social source share

hi i'm Mr Chav and i've just got in, been hanging around outside the shops innit just found out Little Miss Slapper is up the duff BASTARD INNIT !

link

Ok i get the picture... if i wear trousers like that i'm a chav?

hang on uuummmm iv'e seen them trousers before!!!

Is that how the welsh Chavs are dresing?

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Ok i get the picture... if i wear trousers like that i'm a chav?

hang on uuummmm iv'e seen them trousers before!!!

Is that how the welsh Chavs are dresing?

link

f*** i,ve been rumbled ( i'm a closet chav)

Social source share

Your not in the closet anymore. thumbsup.gif

STOP PRESS; "When I dj'd in Paris, it nearly kicked off - only time i've ever dj'd and the other dj' wanted to have a fight with me - while I was doing my set if you don't mind - anyway this is what he looked like.. can't belive it Belgium has Chavs to... :thumbsup:

post-970-1109291998_thumb.jpg

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Vinnie, the rule on talc is simple - spread a shit load on the dancefloor then f**k off and let everyone else deal with the grief it causes!!! Are you sure you've been to a northern event?

link

Ha Talc!!!as much a part of the scene,as F Wilson i remember when drink was not part of the scene,me myself i would rather fall on talc than on peoples slops,slops stink!!i`d rather be in a talc fight,than a beer fight anyday of the week,drinkin`not clever,not good?not bad for somebody who could do 10pints when i was 12/13 years old?ken :unsure:PS Drugs,treat them same as talc,allways be apart of the scene i think?but we`ll keep this Quiet wink.gif

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

Guest Stuart Butcher

Ha Talc!!!as much a part of the scene,as F Wilson i remember when drink was not part of the scene,me myself i would rather fall on talc than on peoples slops,slops stink!!i`d rather be in a talc fight,than a beer fight anyday of the week,drinkin`not clever,not good?not bad for somebody who could do 10pints when i was 12/13 years old?ken :unsure:PS Drugs,treat them same as talc,allways be apart of the scene i think?but we`ll this Quiet wink.gif

link

Talc, only big girls use talc. Back me up all you big girls out there....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!