Various

Guest colouringin

Guest colouringin

Its Friday, let it go, BROWSE... Ask for a call or I can send soundfiles.

--

Cookhouse Players "Pork belly" / Hal Atkinson "Kathy believe me" (Love Day). From the film "Just be there" - ? - tried to look this up to to no avail. This one is a bit of an oddity: the "Pork belly" side is a heavy instrumental garage rock / funky psych number with fantastic Guitar (and flute!) work from an obscure local Minnesota band with little info to report. (the label says made in the Cookhouse Recording Studios).

Buddy McKnight "Everytime pts 1 & 2" (Renfro). B side instrumental on this hammers, as featured on Mr Finewine's Organ comp from a few years back. Fryer even mentioned it positively and I thought he only "dug disco"?? VG++. $30

Nate Reese with Brown Sugar "A message to the people pts 1 & 2" (360 degrees). Nice uptempo northern sound but still funk, socially conscious funk, on an obscure local label $35

The Third World Connection "Hot seat pts 1 & 2" (Pesante). Rare label, hard to find but importantly; a solid, well played, creative, heavy disco funk record. $30

Gwen Kousar "The hardway / Nothing can hurt me now" (Stork). A little noise at the start on this 45 though it looks fine. This is the kind of record that creeps up on you. Sounds good on the turntable in your own home but take outside and change the context to your favourite pub DJ gig and you realise that this little thing packs a very big punch. Great soulful sister funk! VG+ $30

Free Fare "Get away / Brith of a soldier" (Showcase). This hard to find label also released the Chocolate Snow 45 (as heard on Jazzman's midwest funk comp). "Birth..." is a funk rock gem, heavy drums and bass! $15.

Bernard Calvin "Greedy parts 1 & 2" Tobacand $55.

Natural Resources Unpolluted "Funky with my stuff / Don't bite the hand that feeds you" Dore $40.

Ricky Allen "No better time than now / Talk'en about you baby" One-way $35.

Raw Soul "The gig" / Little Richard III "She broke down" DPG $50.

The Ba-Roz "Mocking Bird/ Mocking Bird (Inst.)" (Pisces 104) Condition: M-. $25

Catch "Mr. Nice Guy/ Mephisto's Nightmare" (LK 22576) Condition: VG++. $10

Sidney Thomas "Look, Let's Make Love/ Big Time Lady" (Parallel 7511-35) Condition: VG. $10

A Different Bag "Let's Put It Together/ Track Down" (D. Bag 1001) Condition: M-. $25 

Mack Simmons & Jimmy Mitchell "Forty Third Street Bus Stop/ I'll Make You Feel Like A Woman When We Make Love" (PM 101375) Condition: VG+. $10

CK & G.H. OUTLAW GANG (Faces) "I wonder about myself / Hell girl" Faces 2013. Rare, obscure modern funk... VG+++ $45

Cleo Page "Black Man parts 1 & 2" Wonder $25. Tough blues funk, great sounds on either side. M-.

The Fourth Room "Vote / You better do right" McQ $15. Obscure political 45 with an excellent funk instrumental in "You better...". Great crying eagle picture sleeve. M-.

Tony Ashly & the Delicates "I'll never be satisfied" Forte. Heavy funky uptempo soul from the same label as Everyday People & Gene Williams. Stock copy M-. $85

Melvin Milburn "The Jackass / Meditate" (Bold). Same label as Curtis Green, Alvin Coffee and Joe Walker, another nice odd soul 45. VG+. $10

Melvin Carter "Midnight Brew" / Lonnie Mack No Shuck and Jive Band "Rock n' roll music". AMG. Rare Ohio modern soul. VG+. $15

Junior Markham & The Tulsa Review "Gonna send you back to Georgia / Black cherry" (Uptown). Funky soul, gritty blues type thing - some interesting sounds on the intro to the heavy side "Black cherry". VG+. $10

Unknown. Black label, looks to have been inked out but not by me so I'm not sure what it is. Both sides are very good uptempo soul cuts. VG+. $15

Almeta Latimer "La la (mono & stereo sides)" (De-vel). Mid-tempo soul. VG++. $5

James Mann "I got to move / What you got" (Mod-Art). Heavy, weird and fantastical funk record! Check the break intro and ensuing blast-off at the yahoo link. VG++. $35

Almeta Latimer "La la (mono & stereo sides)" (De-vel). Mid-tempo soul. VG++.

Little Ben & the Blue Cheers "Beggar of love / Brown eye'd devil" (Rush). Great almost funky uptempo soul record. VG++. $15

Hustlers on Effie # 201. The tunes are What Ever's Your Sigh Pt.1 B/W What Ever's Your Sigh Pt. 2. $10

Ernest Lane And Strength: Doggin' No More/Little Girl, Rooster Blues R50. Mint stock copy. Doggin' is Lane's funk arrangement of Rosco Gordon's No More Doggin'. Little Girl is a remake of the slow blues he first recorded for Blues & Rhythm in 1952. Recorded in Los Angeles. This was made in 1984 but you wouldn't know it: 'Doggin' is a great funk track!! $10

JUST N TYME "BROWN EYES / HONEY DON'T" (CYBERTEKNICS CREATIVE RECORDING, 1980 DAYTON OH) SUPER RARE OH MODERN SOUL! NM $35

Forevers "Soul Town"/"What Goes Around Comes Around" 45 on Weis (3002). Bumpin funky soul backed with a driving northern soul tune with bells and the whole 9. On the small Chicago label, dj copy. CONDITION: VG++/M-. $15

Pete Hartfield & the Flint Connextions "St. John St." parts 1&2. Music as historical document: very interesting soul obscurity out of Flint, Michigan that tells the tale of St. John St. Great intro of street sounds and conversation. No label listed. M-. $15

TRUTH "EXCEDRIN HEADACHE #24" (SOUNDS OF CLEVELAND) $10

+

33 1/3 "Treat her right (Mr Love) Parts 1&2" (Slew) $10

Wes & the Airdales "I'll never turn my back on you / I mien giorni felci" (Empire). $10

Arnie & his Soul Brothers "Look-out / The Prune" (Emmes) $10

Guys & Dolls "Ain't it a shame / Pretty pretty baby" (Apostrophe) $30

Muscle Shoals Horns "Hustel to the muscle" (Bang) dance music! disco-y funk $30

Little Joe Cook & The Thrillers "Crazy baby / Funky hump" (Soultown) $10

Calvin Stewart "You turn me on / Try loving me" (Artly)

Betty & Angel "Honey coated loving / eerlasting love" (Everyday) $35

Roy Roberts Experience "You move me Pts 1 & 2" (House of the Fox) $35

Sweet Stuff "Freaky Pts 1&2" (Soultown) $15

Little Ben and the Cheers "Beggar of love / Brown eye'd devil" (Rush) $

Cephas System on Abbott $10

3rd World Connection

Jesse Potter & the Fabulairs (Big 8) wow!!! $40

Alex Williams / soul strut (soul track) $25

Cool Rush / happiness in disguise (ndugu) $25

downbeats / soul fool / i can't hear your love (downbeat) $10

real thing / international love song (whiz) $10

full moon / the heavy scuffle's on (douglas) break! $10