Northern Scene

Paulb

I don't think you give us younger generation very much credit. There are lots of younger DJ's and collectors, maybe they are unoticed becaused people don't want to notice them. I am 23 years old and have son of my own. I'm sure he'll tell me all the things your kids have told you growing up. No one can foresee what will happen in 20 years, so just keep on pushin'. If you're gonna sit around and talk about how it's gonna be dead, then get out now. Leave it to rest of us still living it.

They say "You can't take it with you", so it's not gonna die just because you did!

-Mike

:rolleyes: here's a smiley face to lighten the mood

:rolleyes: and another for the extra serious soulies...you know who you are!! :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Cant speak for everyones sprogs on here

But

My eldest who is 17 is coming to prestatyn next sunday

(when the people im with go home on sunday afternoon they are exchanging wrist bands to let my daughter and her "fella " in)

She is only coming out of curiosity

Because all her life she has been bombarded with soul but has grown up and gone into a music scene that is from her age group.

God knows why we expect young people to hang around with middle aged people

Because if that was offerd to me when i was a young un

i would of told my ald fella to f....right off

Social source share

My eldest who is 17 is coming to prestatyn next sunday

link

My 17 year old would run a mile. He's not keen on the music, and just wets himself laughing if he watches a video of NS dancing. But what is strange is that in his own genre of music, he's been a real collector for several years, tracking down rare stuff or unissued tracks so he has the anorak bug - I have had to cancel his ebay account ! :yes:

Edited by alison
Social source share

My 17 year old would run a mile. He's not keen on the music, and just wets himself laughing if he watches a video of NS dancing. But what is strange is that in his own genre of music, he's been a real collector for several years, tracking down rare stuff or unissued tracks so he has the anorak bug - I have had to cancel his ebay account ! :yes:

link

No way would I have gone anywhere near a place my Dad was in when I was between 17 and 30 and I'd have laughed my clemmies off and taken the piss big time if he'd have shown me the scary middle page spread in a mag like Manifesto and if he'd have expected me to go somewhere and watch him and his 46 year old mates dancing to records played by 55 year old DJ's :yes: I think I'd have left home before I did summat like that. And conversely now I'm in my mid 40s I actually wouldn't want my kids in the same place as me when I'm out.

Roger

Social source share

No way would I have gone anywhere near a place my Dad was in when I was between 17 and 30 and I'd have laughed my clemmies off and taken the piss big time if he'd have shown me the scary middle page spread in a mag like Manifesto and if he'd have expected me to go somewhere and watch him and his 46 year old mates dancing to records played by 55 year old DJ's  :yes: I think I'd have left home before I did summat like that.  And conversely now I'm in my mid 40s I actually wouldn't want my kids in the same place as me when I'm out.

Roger

link

BOB ON ROGER

Social source share

No way would I have gone anywhere near a place my Dad was in when I was between 17 and 30 and I'd have laughed my clemmies off and taken the piss big time if he'd have shown me the scary middle page spread in a mag like Manifesto and if he'd have expected me to go somewhere and watch him and his 46 year old mates dancing to records played by 55 year old DJ's  :yes: I think I'd have left home before I did summat like that.  And conversely now I'm in my mid 40s I actually wouldn't want my kids in the same place as me when I'm out.

Roger

link

:yes::yes::D

As I put the feelers out to try and kickstart a "Proper Norman Scene" here on the East Coast, a mates wife (American) observed...." WHAT?? You're going to try and get youngsters to listen to music that's 40 years old?? Are you insane?? That's like telling you when you were 18 that you should listen to Big Band music, like Glenn Miller, from WWII !! " :D:D:yes:

She kinda put it all in perspective don't ya think?

made me laugh tho. :yes:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Where do people see the scene being in 20 years time?

The avg age will then be 50-60, does this spell the end?

Even though there are a few younger people getting into the music, i dont think that enough are coming through to keep the scene going in years to come.

I for one dont want to see the death of northern soul but is there really anyway is can stay strong.

I know that a lot of people dont like youngsters turning up at all nighters and often moan whwn they aren't taking it seriously enough. But this cant go on. Without younger people coming through, it could all be over sooner than we think!

How can this be prevented?

link

I've gone grey thinking about it :yes: I wonder how many of the original artists will be around in 20years time not many :yes: we just have to live for the day and enjoy as much of the soul music scene as possible, lets face it who'd have thought that Elvis Presleys music would still be a popular in 2005 not me........it would'nt suprise me if the Four Tops were number 1 in the charts in 2025, don't give up hope young soullie :yes:

Social source share

:yes:   :D   :D

As I put the feelers out to try and kickstart a "Proper Norman Scene" here on the East Coast, a mates wife (American) observed...." WHAT?? You're going to try and get youngsters to listen to music that's 40 years old?? Are you insane?? That's like telling you when you were 18 that you should listen to Big Band music, like Glenn Miller, from WWII !! "  :yes:   :yes:   :yes:

She kinda put it all in perspective don't ya think?

made me laugh tho.  :yes:

Regards,

Dave

link

Dave ,

Fair call-but can't you remember the big band revival of the mid 70s?,and,being honest is there anyone out there who wouldn't tap their feet to Glen Miller?

Social source share

Dave ,

Fair call-but can't you remember the big band revival of the mid 70s?,and,being honest is there anyone out there who wouldn't tap their feet to Glen Miller?

link

Uh?? Don't remember much outside The Allnighter World of the 70s mate! :yes:

As far as foot tappin' Glenn Miller goes............err, maybe I should get out more then. :yes:

Regards,

Dave

:yes:

Social source share

This topic got me on my regular nighter rant of people taking for granted what we have.

Wigan, Yate,Stafford etc all had empty nights and people complaing about youngsters or music policy. Now theyre gone and people remember through rose tinted specs.

The last 100 club was empty by its usual standards but it was the best nights music and dancing ever, till the next one.

I get as much out of nighters now as i ever have and the 100 club, ncsc or wherever are far better than wigan yate or stafford cos i can go there and enjoy myself now.

I love it more today than yesterday but not as much as tomorrow.

Social source share

Uh?? Don't remember much outside The Allnighter World of the 70s mate!  :D

As far as foot tappin' Glenn Miller goes............err, maybe I should get out more then. :yes:

Regards,

Dave

:yes:

link

Fair call :yes:

Social source share

Got two kids

One 17 the other 9

The 17 year old is into "Dance Music" and doesnt have much time for northern

The 9 year old moans when a cd goes on in the car and starts moaning about me playing "soul" rubbish

Bloody kids

link

Im most surprised, pleased but surprised, that my kids like it and 3 out of 4. Mate of mine and his partner got 8 between them and only one is into it but hey, maybe these figures will add up and keep things going.

Social source share

My 10 year old son gets confused about vinyl and call them " those big black cd type things"

My 13 year old daughter thinks its hillarious that her ancient dad goes out dancing to 40 year old music.

Just as in our day it is compulsory to dislike your parents taste in everything.

Imagine yourself as a teenager being invited to your mums bingo or your dads gardening club.

Social source share

The sad part is that whatever is left of the scene in 20 years time todays top tunes will be by then played out oldies.

Will there be a geriatric version of the soul police or will they have handed in their gun and badge like in the films.

link

-------------------------------

Deffo a change in the music, OAP's won't be stomping away all night.

gaye

Social source share

Our kids will have flogged off all those 7 inch bits of plastic because they won't work in their virtual reality hi tech world. Only tunes left will be on some old ipod from the year 2005 - "yea me dad had it on original mp3" wiill be discussed at your wake.

I just hoping to have enough money to buy a food blender (no solids allowed) & a bit of spare change to stock up on incontinence pants & actually use talc the way it was intended.

link

It may be agood idea that there won't be so many of us around in 20 years time as there would not be enough room on the dance floor for the zimmer frames, but maybe we may get converts from our nurses and carers that have to come with us.

Mind you I nearly had premeture heart failure earlier this week when my 25 year old son said he wanted to come to Prestatyn with me - so this year I will be accompanied by a NS virgin and potential convert. Maybe he just thinks I am too old to go on my own and needs to look after me.

Social source share

It may be agood idea that there won't be so many of us around in 20 years time as there would not be enough room on the dance floor for the zimmer frames, but maybe we may get converts from our nurses and carers that have to come with us.

Mind you I nearly had premeture heart failure earlier this week when my 25 year old son said he wanted to come to Prestatyn with me - so this year I will be accompanied by a NS virgin and potential convert.  Maybe he just thinks I am too old to go on my own and needs to look after me.

link

The signs of advancing years are already showing, old people need less sleep, aparently, if you look at the time of some postings, here we are, up and about at ungodly hours reminicing about the "good ol days"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!