Monumental Soul 29th September With Jordi Ripolles

Just got back indoors from Mental and another top night of across the board Soul was had again. Too many beers and too many tunes to forget, as usual.

Top drawer stuff from guest Jordi who played plenty of different tackle, including Rising Sun, Vibrations, Tapestry, Douglas & Lonero, Four Tops, Johnny Bristol, Bobby Wilburn and lots more which I'll remember when my head works again. Playlists to follow no doubt soon.

T'was good to see Steve G & Ady C throwing a few shapes on the dancefloor as well!!

Happy Birthday for next Saturday Bernadette. Zzzz's calling

Edited by tsu tomatoes
  • Replies 13
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just got back indoors from Mental and another top night of across the board Soul was had again. Too many beers and too many tunes to forget, as usual.

Top drawer stuff from guest Jordi who played plenty of different tackle, including Rising Sun, Vibrations, Tapestry, Douglas & Lonero, Four Tops, Johnny Bristol, Bobby Wilburn and lots more which I'll remember when my head works again. Playlists to follow no doubt soon.

T'was good to see Steve G & Ady C throwing a few shapes on the dancefloor as well!!

Happy Birthday for next Saturday Bernadette. Zzzz's calling

Good night....got a lift from Martin R&Bman will write something up in the next few days.

Guest Bernadette

what a night - just starting to feel normal - well normal for me anyway :thumbup:

quality choons all the way and lovely friendly crowd :(

got lots of birthday drinks bought for me and some cheeky cards mentioning either vodka or dancing - wonder why :D

thanks to the lovely Geoff for my lift home - you are a star :thumbsup:

Well I'm still buzzing after last night. I felt honoured to have been asked to play the Monumental and I knew that it was going to be a good night. After the 3 hour trek to get there, me and my travelling buddy Gary Holyman were ready to hit the bar and listen to some tunes. Unfortunately I was driving so I had to stick to drinking shandy (something not quite right about a northerner down south drinking shandy :D ) Anyway it certainly didn't spoil my night. We were made to feel really welcome by the guys, Gareth, Nikki and Mole and although there were'nt too many in earlier on, there was an atmosphere building already with people dancing from the start. Everybody played great music and the vibe just got better and better. It was nice to meet many new people and a few old faces, Ivor Jones, Steve Guarnori, Blake Helliwell, Stu and Fliss, Geoff, Kev Moore and loads of others. A real friendly, appreciative crowd who loved their tunes and were prepared to dance to stuff they didn't know from all eras. No politics just positive, friendly vibes all night. Me and Gary didn't want to leave, in fact we stood around outside afterwards gassing for ages putting off the lovely drive home :thumbsup: . I was asked by a few people to put up a playlist of my set. A mix of all kinds of stuff. Thanks again to the MonuMENTAL crew for putting me on, I had a ball!

Louise Murray - Let's just stay away (Land of Hits 12")

Johnny Bristol - I sho like groovin' with ya (Atlantic)

Vibrations - Shake it up (Chess)

Barbara Mason - World in a crisis (Buddah LP)

Rhythm Machine - Put a smile on time (LuLu)

KL Hamilton + Rip - I'm Trying (Rip Pro)

Conrad Benjamin - Why should I think the way you do (Nebula LP)

Randy Brown - I'm always in the mood (Parachute)

Spyder Turner - I've been waiting (Whitfield)

Tapestry - It's not the world that's messed up (Capitol)

Intruders - Be thankful for what you've got (Philadelphia int. LP)

Ronnie McNeir - Good side of your love (Tortoise)

Rising Sun - Miami Bump (SRI)

Continental Showstoppers - Not too young (Seventy seven)

Brotherhood - Given my life (MCA)

Wanda McWilliams - Gangster Boy (Acetate)

Nobodies Children - Shardarp (Toeholt)

Wee - Try Me (Owl)

Black Sugar - Too late (Sono Radio)

Joe Bataan - I'm no stranger (Fania LP)

TNT Band - Meditation (Cotique)

Willie and the Mighty Magnificents - Funky 8 Corners pt.2 (All Platinum)

Terry Calier - Ordinary Joe (Cadet)

Douglas and Lonero - This Time (RCA)

Cam Cameron - They Say (Capri)

Cookie Scott and the Chevelles - I don't care (ORR)

Four Tops - Can't seem to get you out of my mind (Tamla Motown UK)

Eddie Foster - I never knew (IN)

Kelly and the Soul Explosions - Talking about my baby's love (Dynamite)

Bobby Wilburn - I'm a dreamer (Gamble)

Earnest Bolden - I'm talking about love (Alcon)

I've got to agree with Neil and Steve, top night at MonuMental, despite not being quite as many in, where were you all? Perhaps the Caister weekend affected the attendance.

Drove up, parked, and then walked to the Monument, cut through the tube station, met Bernadette and Ellie, and then onto the Britannia.

Niki was on the door, Gareth on the decks, dropped my bag off and up to the bar. Neil kindly bought me a drink (my usual lime and soda) and I took delivery of some records I'd bought off him and Niki (Jive Five and E. G. Taylor).

Niki took over from Gareth, played the Four Tops' Bernadette for Bernadette's birthday, I reckon it was the first time I've danced to that since its release, quite tricky rhythm actually.

Mole did a spot before the guest, playing my request for Joseph Webster, he told me he'd put it in his playbox for me, good man.

Then it was time for the guest Jordi Ripoles. He played a nice set, must be honest didn't know that many of them, but I was in a minority because the dance floor was full, Steve G knew most of them. A surprise was that he played Eddie Foster's I Never Knew, got me out there giving my all.

For the last half hour Mole took over, playing a good set including some Modern anthems like Funny How We Change Places, and finishing with the sublime These Memories, my favourite record.

Nice to see some friends, there must say I was surprised to say the least when RBMan walked in accompanied by Steve G. And he danced as well, but don't tell Chrissie. Steve G was out on the floor a lot, nice to see DJs dancing. Ady Croasdell was there, second time I'd seen him in 3 days, he was out on the floor to Got To Have You Back by the Sons Of Robin Stone.

I took Bernadette home, but I think she was totally exhausted by the time we reached my car, sorry about that, hope you're okay today.

Once again a great night at MonuMental, long may they continue.

Wanted to give Mental a visit as Geoff has always said how much he enjoys it. Arranged to pick up Steve G on the way...which was the quick and easy bit....the trip down the A10 through Tottenham and beyond was slow. Arrived about 10 I think. The Britannia is a pleasant cellar bar with a good selection of beers and lagers and very nice bar staff. Kev Moore and his lovely lady were outside at the door ...smokers corner.

Solid wooden floor which is ok to dance on with plenty of places to sit although we spent the entire night by the bar. Who was the bloke in shorts at the end of the bar with a face like he had swallowed a wasps' nest?

Sound system not quite tuned into my ear but that is being a tat over critical.

Great to see Geoff's face when I walked in.

Enjoyed lots of the records some of which I could even put names and artist to.

Good to see Bernadette enjoying herself and keeping the russian vodka industry ticking over. She introduced me to her freind Ann(ie) all the way from Gatwick, who was clearly having a good time too.

Mental made a very pleasant change.......I am sure I'll make it again although not next month.

Thanks to all the DJs :thumbsup:

Edited by Rbman
Guest Bernadette

Wanted to give Mental a visit as Geoff has always said how much he enjoys it. Arranged to pick up Steve G on the way...which was the quick and easy bit....the trip down the A10 through Tottenham and behond was slow. Arrived about 10 I think. The Britannia is a pleasant cellar bar with a good selection of beers and lagers and very nice bar staff. Kev Moore and his lovely lady were outside at the door ...smokers corner.

Solid wooden floor which is ok to dance on with plenty of places to sit although we spent the entire night by the bar. Who was the bloke in shorts at the end of the bar with a face like he had swallowed a wasps' nest?

Sound system not quite tuned into my ear but that is being a tat over critical.

Great to see Geoff's face when I walked in.

Enjoyed lots of the records some of which I could even put names and artist too.

Good to see Bernadette enjoying herself and keeping the russian vodka industry ticking over. She introduced me to her freind Ann(ie) all the way from Gatwick, who was clearly having a good time too.

Mental made a very pleasant change.......I am sure I'll make it again although not next month.

Thanks to all the DJs :thumbsup:

we'll make a 'modern' boy out of you yet :D

Missed this by deciding to drive up - got in car turned key in ignition - click click click. Bloody garage left something connected that shouldn't have been which drained the battery. Too late to get there at a reasonable time by public transport.

Oh dear Paul :thumbup: . Shame you couldn't get there. Some top tuneage was played. I hope the car's OK now

Source Advert