New Dance?

ImberBoy

Just looked at "The Snake" thread and watched The lambrini clip.

I know I am getting on a bit and my cool is not as cool as it once was but I think there is a new (pity me if every one knows this as I'm old), dance craze called "jumping"?

It may have started in Belgium of all places but I kind of suspect it's a "Chav" dance bastardised from the likes of The Prodigy and ravers?

The first time you see it you giggle then after a while you see the "stomping" and the structure, it seams that school kids in the UK and in Europe are all doing the same dance steps.

I'll attempt to put a few Youtube clips on, remember it looks a little weird but I kinda like it.......... Help!

Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Well there you have a few clips, before ya write it off just look again at the lads dancing together. Totally original and I think totally brilliant.......................... I'll get me coat. :thumbsup:

In Holland too!You don't think it's one of these "youth culture scenes" starting up in Europe do you? ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest Cher1962

Well there you have a few clips, before ya write it off just look again at the lads dancing together. Totally original and I think totally brilliant.......................... I'll get me coat. :lol:

thumbsup.gif Brilliant!!!.... Nice to see youth enjoying themselves rather than causing trouble on the streets!!................

I'll get my coat too! :thumbsup:

Cheryl

Social source share

I wondered what my stepdaughter meant when she said she was going out for a jump! :thumbsup:

Love watching dancers.

Just need a few now to intigrate some crazy moves.

We'll all be doing it soon! rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

We used to do a similar thing to Willie Mitchell's 'The Champion' & 'Secret Home'.

It's old fashioned stomping! Looks good with the right 'stomp stomp' beat though!

I agree with you, it does seem to resemble Northern dancing C.1975/6 crossed with jazz dancing C.1978/9. I prefer it when they actually do it in time to the music however! The first clip resembles drunken students leaping around to a Madness record - ie. not at all rhythmic, just overly exuberant! The other clips are better though.

(Far too energetic for me to attempt nowadays, sadly - unless I decided to commit dancefloor Hari-kiri !) sad.gif

Social source share

man thats good the 2 lad tapping feet is ace .However i wonder how long even a fit 18yr old could keep it up for.Dont think the niters are in must danger .And how big would the dance floor need to be kings hall may hold 20 tops laugh.gif

Social source share

I quite like it and can see some resemblance to NS dancing from the mid 70s, but is the garden gnome essential to the moves, cos I already carry too much stuff around when I go to a nighter without having to bring my garden gnome with me, and if I did need my gnome would I have to pay for him to get in unsure.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

I agree with you, it does seem to resemble Northern dancing C.1975/6 crossed with jazz dancing C.1978/9. I prefer it when they actually do it in time to the music however! The first clip resembles drunken students leaping around to a Madness record ...

Reminds me of skanking (rude boys) meets 20's/30's Lindy Hop or Charleston dance :tongue:

I must admit, I admire anyone with coordination and energy (coz I have neither) and hope it catches on just to get kids exercising and fit.

m

Social source share

I saw some kids doing hip hop in the main square the other day. They marked the area off with chalk, & two or three guys really pulled off some impressive moves. The music wasn't bad either, quite melodic hip-hop, with a black, in yer face female vocal. A big portable CD player provided the sounds. I think it should be encouraged. The good thing about Spain is that there's no mall culture, kids just hang out in the streets. No chavs either, thank god. Some would say they are just aping what they've seen on MTV/VH1. I honestly don't think that anything's truly original, it's been magpied from generation to generation & each scene takes what it needs & discards the rest. The USA nor mainland Europe should have to worry about throwing off the chains of its culture.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

I must admit. I have dabble with Jump, Hardstyle Goa trance and hardcore, but the only dancing I ever saw like this was me and me mates, dancing to the champion at my youthclub.lol

Social source share

Me and my 5 year old thought it looked great, but how long before some middle aged, rotund soulie spys this going on in the streets somewhere and decides to join in and show the young 'uns how its done!

I'm gonna don a sturdy brassiere, knee supports (mine are shot from too much stomping) and some bouncy trainers and get practising with the children later..... :D

Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

"but how long before some middle aged, rotund soulie spys this going on in the streets somewhere and decides to join in and show the young 'uns how its done! "

You got a camera in my kitchen? :D

Call a paramedic!

Edited by Glynn Jones
Social source share

all well and good but do you have to do it to the fecking god-awfull Euro-shite dance music?

Looks like they've learnt all of their moves off of one of those Japanese Arcade machines.

Why Euroshite pikey?

Most of it was/is created by British DJ's & spun to mainly British crowds in European holiday resorts like Ibiza.

Further evidence that mainland Europe has to divest itself of British culture I reckon. ;-)

Social source share

This music is truly, truly dreadful. Who the hell would want to dance to THAT??? It sounds like "The Birdie Song" on acid... :thumbsup:

Yeah but it's better than rockabilly :(:(:lol:

In the late 70s a dance emerged at my local youth club which involved running backwards on the spot to two specific records "The Champion" Willie Mitchell and "The Kid" Andre Brassuer. Thinking that it might assist in impressing the opposite sex I spent weeks perfecting said dance. I must of looked a right twit. Started going to All nighters and realised that nobody danced like that any way.

I guess it's what teenagers do! Good old stomping. Its life affirming and jolly good fun.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Good luck to the Jumpers, or Stompers.

Just shows dance is a great way of having a good time and making new mates.

Email all of them with a link to the Champion or some Mitch Rider to get them applying all that energy to something worthwhile.

Ed

Totally agree, think it is great to see the younguns havin fun dancing again like we did (and still do hoepfully) but put with the right music and could be the scene of the future.

Think the moves are great but the music is sh1t.

QoFxx

Social source share

Me and the missus had a go, fookin nearly killed me sen! Furniture flying all over the place and ornaments launching as if Jonny Wilkinson had punted them!!

WOW...this is Pure 'Contact Morris' a style rarely seen nowadays.....very similar to the 'Battle Rock' of the b'boy scene.........truly awesome....

You could meet new people at soul nights with this one. :thumbsup:

Social source share

According to my 20 year old daughter, this style of dancing is common with the 'CHAV' scene.

You know, they wear flash designer clothes, like to show off, and come from a working class background, have lots of 'attitude'.

Wait a minute, that was our scene 30 odd years ago, cheeky getz.

Now where did I put my Henry Lloyd baseball cap...............If you cant beat em, join em.

Ed

Social source share

This is the "Chav Dance"; the music makes me want to become a Burmese Monk! I hate it so much to the point of unbearable!!!

The kids, the Chavs, I think are brilliant and the best thing since sliced bread. We are all too quick to criminalise some young scrote just for wearing a hood or hanging around the shops. Once you get past the initial shock horror of no eye contact and slouched shoulders they are ok. We have always had idiots and hooligans, most of us on this forum aint what society would have classed as "normal" when we where sneaking off to our secret soul clubs!

The youth of today never fails to inspire me, I used to watch them move around the barracks like Shaun of the dead then become lions each time we went to war. Mums n dads be proud.

Whoops went off on one a bit there, back to the dancing………….. diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee

Luves it!

Social source share

hang on a minute chaps, I must be mistaken. on a trip back to my hometown last Christmas, I accompanied my sister to the huge tescos superstore on the outskirts of town, it was New Year's Eve & I was in search of some fresh shellfish (nephrops-nephrops) to serve with cava at midnight, introducing a little Spanish flavour into the proceedings.

As we were parking, we saw a gaggle of shell-suited & hooded youths squaring up to each other. I commented on how awfully dressed these lads & lasses were. I know it sounds terrible, but the girls looked like cheap whores. I asked my sis' if that was the way british teenagers dressed in 2006 & she told me they were known as chavs. so what exactly is a chav?

Social source share

This is the "Chav Dance"; the music makes me want to become a Burmese Monk! I hate it so much to the point of unbearable!!!

The kids, the Chavs, I think are brilliant and the best thing since sliced bread. We are all too quick to criminalise some young scrote just for wearing a hood or hanging around the shops. Once you get past the initial shock horror of no eye contact and slouched shoulders they are ok. We have always had idiots and hooligans, most of us on this forum aint what society would have classed as "normal" when we where sneaking off to our secret soul clubs!

The youth of today never fails to inspire me, I used to watch them move around the barracks like Shaun of the dead then become lions each time we went to war. Mums n dads be proud.

Whoops went off on one a bit there, back to the dancing.............. diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee diddle dee dee dee dib dee

Luves it!

Great feet!! You are right about the young kids though, they just need direction, and in this case musically educating.

Maybe there should be a 'free Northern soul night' so they can see what its all about, but I think the DJs would have to playe the 100mph stompers like the Triumphs and Flaming Emeralds to get them dancing. Cant see em taking to the more popular slower stuff played today.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

I'm all for a good energetic jump around but that music is truly horrendous and makes me actually feel like I am going to die! Well, I am going to die sometime of course but that repellent sound makes me think my demise is imminent and it will indeed be a blessed relief! :lol:

Social source share

I'm all for a good energetic jump around but that music is truly horrendous and makes me actually feel like I am going to die! Well, I am going to die sometime of course but that repellent sound makes me think my demise is imminent and it will indeed be a blessed relief! :lol:

I think to enjoy this kind of music you need to be off your head, one way or another.

Think positive, it gives you a good enogh reason to get off you head, one way or another.

:shhh::D

Ed

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath
:lol: Perhaps that is the problem...I don't even drink! That music could well drive me to it though..I might have to go and buy a tin of shandy.
Social source share

looks like excercise dancing. None of the emotion of proper dancing, tho it could be developed maybe if some better music was introduced?

Hey Joel, next time you are foolish enough to be in the same place as me, I'll challenge you to a jump :shhh:

I was leaping around like a nutter yesterday (to Rose by The Topics) - and thought I was gonna end up either in the cellar (having gone through the floor) or in casualty :lol: Luckily, it was neither.....

Social source share

You're right, the music is really terrible and the dancing ain't great either

Social source share

I`m gonna`turn the gabba`type noise down,fetch up me media player and play "champion"over it,might work? :lol:

Played em`,"it hurts me"Sammy Lee..........looked like they where enjoying themselfs. :shhh:

Social source share

looks like excercise dancing. None of the emotion of proper dancing, tho it could be developed maybe if some better music was introduced?

Should make it compululsery over here,sort all our fat kids out good style.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!