PaulDonnelly

Skeg 29th Sept

Lookbacks Archive PaulDonnelly on

Posted (edited)

My first time at Skeg, me and Tony Dellar double deckin upstairs from 7 to 8-30 thank you to everyone who took the time out to thank us both for our effort.

Ive woken up this morning with sore ankles, red palms and a slight hangover, always a good sign that I must have enjoyed myself.

Downstairs the music was as varied as you would expect but with an emphasis on Quality, upstairs just 'banged' em out, I find incredibly uplifting that the music we all love and grew up with as teenagers can STILL be the catalyst for several hundred like minded individuals to leave home with one intention, to have a ball.

The purists would view the playlists with suspicion however and you'll have to trust me, it didn't fuckin matter. The placed rocked from 7 till 2pm, well 8-30 to 2pm actually. We'll be back awesome, northern soul function thanks to everyone involved.

Edited by PaulDonnelly

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hi, we got back yesterday morning and missed the Sunday afternoon session, totally agree a awesome weekend. Just recovering with a day off work!

Spent most of my time downstairs and the quality of the music was second to none and covered the whole spectrum of sounds from the sixties through to Y2K. Both rooms very busy and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Good set up and music policy, with upstairs playing banging oldies and downstairs catering for the people who like to listen to something a little different.

Excellent formula.

Mark

soul source url
Posted

You pair of lightweights lol :D , it's monday afternoon and i've just got home from skeggy, great party sunday night at woolfies till 1.30am !!!, mega sore head today tho :shhh: all self inflicted of course

Nice set from Paul and Tony upstairs, must admit to spending most of the weekend downstairs but popped up to listen to the newbies :lol: and a few others making the debuts upstairs (Paul "Randy" Seward) can remember talking to Paul D in the top bar and he was amazed at the atmosphere from the off, as soon as the doors open the dancers are in and on the floor for the whole night !!

Some great music played over the weekend and a cracking time had by all. Can't wait for the next one !!

Ian.

soul source url
Posted

You pair of lightweights lol :lol: , it's monday afternoon and i've just got home from skeggy, great party sunday night at woolfies till 1.30am !!!, mega sore head today tho :shhh: all self inflicted of course

Nice set from Paul and Tony upstairs, must admit to spending most of the weekend downstairs but popped up to listen to the newbies :lol: and a few others making the debuts upstairs (Paul "Randy" Seward) can remember talking to Paul D in the top bar and he was amazed at the atmosphere from the off, as soon as the doors open the dancers are in and on the floor for the whole night !!

Some great music played over the weekend and a cracking time had by all. Can't wait for the next one !!

Ian.

i fully concur young sailor... er... sorry, seaman.

excellent weekend, bring on the 'upfront on the seafront' in novemebr and i hope as many people have as gooder time as they did this weekend with some very, very nice tunes. :D

soul source url
Posted

i fully concur young sailor... er... sorry, seaman.

excellent weekend, bring on the 'upfront on the seafront' in novemebr and i hope as many people have as gooder time as they did this weekend with some very, very nice tunes. :shhh: just looked at the photo`s on another site looks like a good night was had by all :lol:

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Gotham City (Goole, actually) 9:15am Tuesday morning & this is the first time since arriving back from Skeggy that I've felt capable of sitting down & staring at this screen without swaying or feeling like I'm on a merry-go-round, Mr Beck's & Mr Woodpecker you've a lot to answer for, no doubt I'm not the only one feeling like this, we may get older but not any wiser!! BOY, WAS IT WORTH IT THOUGH !! :shhh:

Never made it to join the early jet set at "Wolfies Bar" but managed to hit the road by 5pm & then spent most of Lincolnshire behind a bleeding great Tesco's wagon & a caravan man, so arrived totally refreshed & relaxed (NOT) :( at our lodgings, where the usual misfits & reprobates from Yorkshire & Nottinghamshire were already dug in. Quick shower, changed & out, after 1 livener first, of course.

Downstairs was filling nicely & upstairs was rammed as always & as hot as a camels crack in the desert :rolleyes: & the room was buzzing. I spent most of the night downstairs with the occasional foray upstairs to jig & talk to friends. By 10 the downstairs was the fullest I've ever seen it & the dancefloor never wained all night, infact it was the best night I've had at Skeggy with tunes of sheer quality all night long. Memorable moment of the night was seeing "Dr Soul" Gaz Archer heading for the door & leaning at roughly the same angle as Pisa's Tower & being barely able to converse with me but he was up & ready to report for full duties bright & early Saturday, well done sir. thumbsup.gif

Can't remember to much about saturday afternoon as I had my own type of music in my head, I think it was the Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band in concert?? shout.gif Saturday night carried on in the same vein but slightly less so due to beer haze, if you know what I mean? But top music again downstairs & I managed to get upstairs to enjoy & have a shimmy to Mr Poole's spot, back downstairs & Mick H,John Poole & Sam did the business to end the night in style. Can't honestly say I heard a bad tune all weekend & I know everybody says that but it's true, perhaps some just a little too R&B or Modern for my taste but I can live with that, can't please all the people all of the time.

All the Jock's deserve praise but here's some that did it for me; Rob Kay, Den Mac (Ta for the cd's,FINALLY,report to follow), Stigger & Brendon (Ta for "Candy in the sand"),Rupe & Andy Riley (Fab xover/Mod), Tony Wiggins & Terry Wright (My local lads), Mick H & Sam who as Leo said,"You make me feel like dancing,I'm gonna dance the night away". Well done to the "Cheeky Chappie Chapman" who covered both rooms & a sales stall & to top it all tripped poor Michelle so she fell on her butt, all because she was outdancing him, tut,tut!! thmbdn.gif

Sunday arrived & I didn't feel that bad, I even managed a toasted teacake about 11am. So back to the venue for wind down time, air kisses & adios amigo's but upon joining South Yorkshires finest together with my old mate's Bazza & Wendy (we were not talking, we just said "Hello",honest) & seeing more Yorkies like Dave & Sue (Dangerous Dancer, who I noticed kept nipping downsatirs to have a listen) I had a sudden urge to "Give it some", which I proceeded to & was only slightly interupted by Snowy (who should be sobering up about now) & Dr Soul operating in the middle of the dancefloor, on a very bloated & distended belly belonging to a certain Mr Steve Foster, this obviously refreshed Steve as he went on to ride a blow up Kangaroo round the venue before humping it into oblivion, you had to be there. By 4pm I was a wetter than a whippets whats it in a waterfall, from dancing, so quick rub down & lots of "So long,see ya soons" & off down the road home, remembering & regaling as we went. :P

This weekender gets better each time & as Gaz Archer said, "I won't miss one till I pop me brogues", so roll on November for "Vaults of Soul" weekender & more shenanigans. :lol:

Till our next adventure, take care & be safe,

Spot. :lol:

Edited by spot

soul source url
Posted (edited)

also...a big thumbs up for the equipment Dave got in, makes one hell of a difference to the sound qaulity.

Btw does anyone know the 15/16 year old lad who danced ALL night at the front upstair, black vest with badges, I have something for him.. thumbsup.gif

Edited by PaulDonnelly

soul source url
Posted (edited)

well its looking like its me thats going to be controversial about the weekend whistling.gif .this is purely for the downstairs ( the vault).Cant comment on the upstairs as ive spent most of the 17 skeggy weeknders in the vault.Having spent most of the weeknd actually at the event i can honestly say the vault has turned into a modern room with a bit of 60s soul chucked in to keep some people happy.For me it was pants.

The vault is NOW wrongly advertised.Its supposed to be a room where dedicated djs can play what they want.Some of that is true but now its djs that are dedicated into playing 70s.I know he is a mate but roger banks is the only dj playing 60s.

Got in the place at 7.15-7.30 had to wait till 11.30 for a good 60s spot from a dj,now if thats fair and a good varied mix of music then im a fooking china man.

Friday night just went home early-ish,could'nt take any more.

What the fook does "lets funk it up a bit" which was said by a dj and he did play a funk record.I thought it was a "soul" weekender.

Before anyone starts YES i do like 70s but too much of anything gets on ya tits after a while.I could go on and on but wont,ive done all 17 wont be doing 18.As said the vault does not do what it set out or suppose to do.

Just for the record the upstairs is fab if you are into that kind of thing.cant fault it.

Edited by JMYTG

soul source url
Posted

well its looking like its me thats going to be controversial about the weekend whistling.gif .this is puely for the downstairs ( the vault).Cant comment on the upstairs as ive spent most of the 17 skeggy weeknders in the vault.Having spent most of the weeknd actually at the event i can honestly say the vault has turned into a modern room with a bit of 60s soul chucked in to keep some people happy.For me it was pants.

The vault is NOW wrongly advertised.Its supposed to be a room with dedicated djs can play what they want.Some of that is true but now its djs that are dedicated into playing 70s.I know he is a mate but roger banks is the only dj playing 60s.

Got in the place at 7.15-7.30 had to wait till 11.30 for a good 60s spot from a dj,now if thats fair and a good varied mix of music then im a fooking china man.

Friday night just went home ealy-ish,could'nt take any more.

What the fook does "lets funk it up a bit" which was said by a dj and he did play a funk record.I thought it was a "soul" weekender.

Before anyone starts YES i do like 70s but too much of anything gets on ya tits after a while.I could go on and on but wont,ive done all 17 wont be doing 18.As said the vault does not do what it set out or suppose to do.

Just for the record the upstairs is fab if you are into that kind of thing.cant fault it.

My thoughts....I did'nt venture down stairs much...bit to modern for me..stayed up stairs...evening sessions,not my cup of tea too packed and to many stilletto's and handbags about :wicked: ..but the afternoon sessions where great with steve foster and Yocky playing a nice mix of tunes and some top R&B stuff..Rob Smith played "Richard Berry - Have Love Will Travel" the best version of that tune IMHO...I was like a lunatic on the floor to that one..think there was only 3 of us on the floor to that great tune ( some folks just dont know a good tune ) so in a nut shel l I did enjoy afternoons but not the evenings..great to see all my chums tho...it did seem to be missing a little some thing this time...well I think it was

Bazza

soul source url
Posted (edited)

My thoughts....I did'nt venture down stairs much...bit to modern for me..stayed up stairs...evening sessions,not my cup of tea too packed and to many stilletto's and handbags about sad.gif ..but the afternoon sessions where great with steve foster and Yocky playing a nice mix of tunes and some top R&B stuff..Rob Smith played "Richard Berry - Have Love Will Travel" the best version of that tune IMHO...I was like a lunatic on the floor to that one..think there was only 3 of us on the floor to that great tune ( some folks just dont know a good tune ) so in a nut shel l I did enjoy afternoons but not the evenings..great to see all my chums tho...it did seem to be missing a little some thing this time...well I think it was

Bazza

yeah bazza there was something missing 60s soul in the vault. big shot upfront djs in the vault think upfront means you have to play 70s or modern WHY!

Edited by JMYTG

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Gotham City (Goole, actually) 9:15am Tuesday morning & this is the first time since arriving back from Skeggy that I've felt capable of sitting down & staring at this screen without swaying or feeling like I'm on a merry-go-round, Mr Beck's & Mr Woodpecker you've a lot to answer for, no doubt I'm not the only one feeling like this, we may get older but not any wiser!! BOY, WAS IT WORTH IT THOUGH !! :lol:

Never made it to join the early jet set at "Wolfies Bar" but managed to hit the road by 5pm & then spent most of Lincolnshire behind a bleeding great Tesco's wagon & a caravan man, so arrived totally refreshed & relaxed (NOT) :wicked: at our lodgings, where the usual misfits & reprobates from Yorkshire & Nottinghamshire were already dug in. Quick shower, changed & out, after 1 livener first, of course.

Downstairs was filling nicely & upstairs was rammed as always & as hot as a camels crack in the desert sweatingbullets.gif & the room was buzzing. I spent most of the night downstairs with the occasional foray upstairs to jig & talk to friends. By 10 the downstairs was the fullest I've ever seen it & the dancefloor never wained all night, infact it was the best night I've had at Skeggy with tunes of sheer quality all night long. Memorable moment of the night was seeing "Dr Soul" Gaz Archer heading for the door & leaning at roughly the same angle as Pisa's Tower & being barely able to converse with me but he was up & ready to report for full duties bright & early Saturday, well done sir. thumbsup.gif

Can't remember to much about saturday afternoon as I had my own type of music in my head, I think it was the Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band in concert?? shout.gif Saturday night carried on in the same vein but slightly less so due to beer haze, if you know what I mean? But top music again downstairs & I managed to get upstairs to enjoy & have a shimmy to Mr Poole's spot, back downstairs & Mick H,John Poole & Sam did the business to end the night in style. Can't honestly say I heard a bad tune all weekend & I know everybody says that but it's true, perhaps some just a little too R&B or Modern for my taste but I can live with that, can't please all the people all of the time.

All the Jock's deserve praise but here's some that did it for me; Rob Kay, Den Mac (Ta for the cd's,FINALLY,report to follow), Stigger & Brendon (Ta for "Candy in the sand"),Rupe & Andy Riley (Fab xover/Mod), Tony Wiggins & Terry Wright (My local lads), Mick H & Sam who as Leo said,"You make me feel like dancing,I'm gonna dance the night away". Well done to the "Cheeky Chappie Chapman" who covered both rooms & a sales stall & to top it all tripped poor Michelle so she fell on her butt, all because she was outdancing him, tut,tut!! thmbdn.gif

Sunday arrived & I didn't feel that bad, I even managed a toasted teacake about 11am. So back to the venue for wind down time, air kisses & adios amigo's but upon joining South Yorkshires finest together with my old mate's Bazza & Wendy (we were not talking, we just said "Hello",honest) & seeing more Yorkies like Dave & Sue (Dangerous Dancer, who I noticed kept nipping downsatirs to have a listen) I had a sudden urge to "Give it some", which I proceeded to & was only slightly interupted by Snowy (who should be sobering up about now) & Dr Soul operating in the middle of the dancefloor, on a very bloated & distended belly belonging to a certain Mr Steve Foster, this obviously refreshed Steve as he went on to ride a blow up Kangaroo round the venue before humping it into oblivion, you had to be there. By 4pm I was a wetter than a whippets whats it in a waterfall, from dancing, so quick rub down & lots of "So long,see ya soons" & off down the road home, remembering & regaling as we went. :yes:

This weekender gets better each time & as Gaz Archer said, "I won't miss one till I pop me brogues", so roll on November for "Vaults of Soul" weekender & more shenanigans. :lol:

Till our next adventure, take care & be safe,

Spot. :lol:

HIYA MATEY, GLAD TO SEE YOU AND YOUR GOOD LADY ENJOYED YOURSELVES AND MADE IT BACK HOME SAFELY. LIKE YOU JUST GOT MY LIVER FEELING A BIT BETTER AND THOUGHT I NEED TO SIGN ON TO SS TO SEE JUST HOW MUCH OF A PRATT I'D BEEN? RELY ON SS AFTER SKEG TO HELP ME REMEMBER!!!!

HAD A GREAT TIME WITH ALL MY OLD FRIENDS WHO ARE LIKE FAMILY TO ME NOW AND I ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THEM ALL, I REALLY DO LOVE SKEG AND HAVEN'T HAD A BAD ONE YET, ALTHOUGH I MUST SLOW DOWN ON A SUNDAY? APPARENTLY IN WOLFIES I WAS DOING SWALLOW DIVES AND GIVING IT SOME SKA STYLE DANCING............GOT TO GROW UP, NEVER!

UNTIL THE NEXT TIME KTF, LOVE YOU ALL, I'LL SEE YER SOON

Edited by GazArcher

soul source url
Posted

also...a big thumbs up for the equipment Dave got in, makes one hell of a difference to the sound qaulity.

Btw does anyone know the 15/16 year old lad who danced ALL night at the front upstair, black vest with badges, I have something for him.. :ohmy:

Hi Paul

Yes I know this young man. His name is Alex soul boy Simms he's also a cracking DJ and a very polite young man. One may say a pure Soulie in the making.

soul source url
Posted

Its supposed to be a room where dedicated djs can play what they want.

Jim nice to meet you & Di at Skeggy & I'm sorry your weekend was spoilt by to much 70's but I think that one line says it all, if you book mainly 70's Dj's you'll get 70's sounds. I myself get a little sick of 60's sometimes & can't stand Modern two step & loathe most R&B with a passion, yes I know it all originates from R&B but that's just my taste, anyway I tend to steer clear of event or rooms that are that way inclined. As I said before, for me it was the best yet & a pity you didn't enjoy it. :wub:

See you at next Bestwood & hear you play,

Spot. :thumbup:

soul source url
Posted

Jim nice to meet you & Di at Skeggy & I'm sorry your weekend was spoilt by to much 70's but I think that one line says it all, if you book mainly 70's Dj's you'll get 70's sounds. I myself get a little sick of 60's sometimes & can't stand Modern two step & loathe most R&B with a passion, yes I know it all originates from R&B but that's just my taste, anyway I tend to steer clear of event or rooms that are that way inclined. As I said before, for me it was the best yet & a pity you didn't enjoy it. sad.gif

See you at next Bestwood & hear you play,

Spot. :unsure:

hi spot,i know what you mean,this is why i said its wrongly advertised.ive been to all the skeg weekenders and should have seen the change coming.Lets face it,its a modern room now.Ive had some fab times since the first one,cant see me havin many more im affraid :lol:

soul source url
Posted

hi spot,i know what you mean,this is why i said its wrongly advertised.ive been to all the skeg weekenders and should have seen the change coming.Lets face it,its a modern room now.Ive had some fab times since the first one,cant see me havin many more im affraid :thumbup:

i think some of the reason for the modern accent downstairs is as a juxtaposition to the classic 60s upstairs and although the vault is not for commercial sounds some regulars wanted to hear (and dance to) something different from upstairs but smorthing they know.

hope you give skeg another shot at the "upfront on the seafront" weekender at the end of november, a whole weekend of 'upfront' rare/northern with two rooms so underplayed 60s will be well catered for. details on the http://skegnesssoul.org web site.

soul source url
Posted

yeah bazza there was something missing 60s soul in the vault. big shot upfront djs in the vault think upfront means you have to play 70s or modern WHY!

This seems to be the way in the east midlands/east anglia/east coast. The only alternative to oldies is "modern", consisting of 70s oldies and some limp-wristed records from subsequent decades. I suppose that's fine if it's what the majority want, but no good to those of us that like a bit of "newer" 60s and r&b, which is why I haven't been to Skeggy for a couple of years. :unsure:

soul source url
Posted

i think some of the reason for the modern accent downstairs is as a juxtaposition to the classic 60s upstairs and although the vault is not for commercial sounds some regulars wanted to hear (and dance to) something different from upstairs but smorthing they know.

hope you give skeg another shot at the "upfront on the seafront" weekender at the end of november, a whole weekend of 'upfront' rare/northern with two rooms so underplayed 60s will be well catered for. details on the http://skegnesssoul.org web site.

the vault is not supposed to be a modern only room,tust me the last thing i want to hear downstairs is banging oldies :unsure: but there are plenty of 60s stuff that still needs spinning and can be enjoyed by everyone and it dont need a telephone number price tag to be played.as ive said done all 17 cant see me doing anymore in its present state.I dont mind 70s but im not INTO it.makes me sad to make this decision not to go but thats life.the early days of the vault were the best imo.To those who do like it as it is they have a superb room going on,its just not for me

soul source url
Posted

This seems to be the way in the east midlands/east anglia/east coast. The only alternative to oldies is "modern", consisting of 70s oldies and some limp-wristed records from subsequent decades. I suppose that's fine if it's what the majority want, but no good to those of us that like a bit of "newer" 60s and r&b, which is why I haven't been to Skeggy for a couple of years. :unsure:

i agree with that.its oldies or 70s or phone number price tag records.there is an in between. you see so many post on SS asking why certain tunes are never played at places, that was one of the aims of the vault in the early days of it.thats just gone for some reason

soul source url
Posted (edited)

jim, think you'll miss skeg if you dont come m8. yes the music played last weekend at times was abit different to the normal mix downstairs.at times i feel it did go alittle bit 2 modern imo, but at such times i looked at the floor and it seemed to be taking it. and by the same token the floor at times for example in say rogers and mick h's sets were very quiet,when roger went on a rn'b trip and mick went down the newer 60's road.

i think really hard to get the balance just right,i like you feel it wasn't the best vault session's i've been to (have been some crackers) but was it really the doom and gloom weekend you talk of.

i know when we talked at the weekend of how its changing,think back to the early ones, and look at last weekend jim,theres an awful lot of 'new faces' in the vault that weren't there at the early ones,perhaps just perhaps they want modern 2k dance music.

it's maybe down to real rare soul people like yourself and di who know good soulful dance music from the 60's & 70's to try and show them the way.

we need peeps like you at skeg fella. dont give up on it m8. :D

Edited by SKEGSOUL

soul source url
Posted

jim, think you'll miss skeg if you dont come m8. yes the music played last weekend at times was abit different to the normal mix downstairs.at times i feel it did go alittle bit 2 modern imo, but at such times i looked at the floor and it seemed to be taking it. and by the same token the floor at times for example in say rogers and mick h's sets were very quite,when roger went on a rn'b trip and mick went down the newer 60's road.

i think really hard to get the balance just right,i like you feel it wasn't the best vault session's i've been to (have been some crackers) but was it really the doom and gloom weekend you talk of.

i know when we talked at the weekend of how its changing,think back to the early ones, and look at last weekend jim,theres an awful lot of 'new faces' in the vault that weren't there at the early ones,perhaps just perhaps they want modern 2k dance music.

it's maybe down to real rare soul people like yourself and di who know good soulful dance music from the 60's & 70's to try and show them the way.

we need peeps like you at skeg fella. dont give up on it m8. no.gif

hello mick.hows it going.all i can say the way i and di feel its a no no.a hard thing to say and as you have said there have been some corking times down there.we shall see.one more point i cant for the life of me think why you and mo were missed of the dj list :D just dont get it mate and a certain person gets a hour at the end on sunday.why have you and mo never had a staurday night spot?so many questions not many answers.It also seems that everyone has got to try and play something new all the time,i could go on and on,so say hello to mo and tell her di and me missed your spot this time,see you later me old cocker :D

soul source url
Posted

Have to say I enjoyed the weekend very much , sun was blazing down on Skeggy. Dave R and his wife have a great cafe culture going on if you want to venture down the road for a coffee, could have sat there all day talking their old times and looking at old pictures ..plus thumbing through records if you wish.

But back to the place and the sounds ... I always look upon this venue as having two choices .

Upstairs for those that like an old flavour ...100mile an hour stuff ( lucky bleeders can still keep up with them ... Charades crucifies me now sad.gif

Downstairs .. Afternoon sessions are right up my street , more of a collectors choice , hearing stuff you just don't hear as the norm . Fantastic mid tempo type soul . I had a particular preference for Andy Riley and Rups double decking set . Plus I just love the ease of thumbing through records in daylight ...I can actually see them !

Managed to pick up Carl Hall's "Mean it baby " at a nice price, which was the icing on the cake for me. Plus Rups sent me three nice CD's in the post .

Downstairs at night ... I guess it did lean to more of a modern night whilst I was there , left around 12 ... I think the dancefloor was healthy , it may not have suited everyone but in general I would say the majority thought it was a good night . I quite like the different tempo's meself and don't mind a bit of soulful garage/house to bop to to have FUN !

I came away happy ... and will defo go to the next one.

I am not knocking anyone in particular but I don't understand why some people that have what they want upstairs , then go and knock whats going on downstairs I heard a few did ventured down the stairs and make such comments ? Surley the whole point of having two rooms is that they are Different ..isn't it ?

Tune of the weekend for me ... George Hughley ... That's why I cry

soul source url

Source Adverts