Donna Allen

Guest miff

Following on from the Driza bone post,Would I get shot for playing this out? has it ever been played out, I fist heard this on radio 2 on the quiet storm radio show

and have allways loved the tune, better version then Maze IMO :rolleyes:

Edited by miff
Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Following on from the Driza bone post,Would I get shot for playing this out? has it ever been played out, I fist heard this on radio 2 on the quiet storm radio show

and have allways loved the tune, better version then Maze IMO :rolleyes:

link

Miff it was a chart hit and obviously a club classic if you're DJing to a Northern crowd may i suggest that you invest in Kevlar :rolleyes::sweatingbullets:

Karen xx

Social source share

Miff it was a chart hit and obviously a club classic if you're DJing to a Northern crowd may i suggest that you invest in Kevlar  :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

Karen xx

link

Don't agree its better than Maze, especially on the Live In New Orleans LP, better production tho and an allround super track from Mr Beverly, i've got a 12" of Donna Allen with remixes, a nice play early in the night at a do i'd think :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

and have allways loved the tune, better version then Maze IMO :yes:

link

Used to get played at Queens Hall, Bradford as new record back in 88/89, and was treated as a nice version / good cover. altho Maze is still THE version for me.

Still if I hear Donna allen played out, I'd be dancin' :yes:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dodger

I've played it out on more than on occasion even had some of the modernistas up dancing to it.

I like it better than the maze version. Not sure that just 'cos something charted that it can't be played specially to the modern crowd. Ace Spectrum DSNE got to #5 in the charts stateside.

link

Just spotted this. Great version of the classic, I feature it in my sets regularly as I do a lot of contemporary reworks of older, well known tracks. Played one or two at Stoke on Saturday - Blacknuss 'Seventh Heaven', Jaki Graham 'Never Stop', Bobby Womack/Lulu 'Back For More', Jody Watley 'Your Love Keeps Working On Me', Blacknuss 'Thinking Of You', Yana 'Nothing Going On But The Rent' to name a few. Regards the chart things not being played to the modern crowd, in general, especially in the places I do where new (as opposed to 70s normodden) soul is played, many of the hangups that cause uproar elsewhere on the scene thankfully don't enter into the equation. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

Funnily enough it got played at the Black Cat in Glos on Friday (the best yet incidentally), which prompted me to put it back in the box for The Roundhouse in Bath tonight.

Social source share

Guest dodger

'Ello 'Ello, do I spot yet another term for the glossary  :thumbsup:   :shhh:   :)   :huh:

link

I thought you'd have seen me write that one before?? smile.gif

"Normoddensole" - soul music that is neither northern nor modern, 70s/80s records generally on a seven, sometimes on a twelve but always on vinyl and played either by DJ's with their roots in northern soul who think they know 'modden' (usually 70s or anything with a Drizabone beat) or old DJ's who used to play modern soul when these things were new 20-odd years ago but now are more suited to the northern soul/crossover arena because they don't/can't/won't keep up with new music. :thumbsup:

Edited by dodger
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I thought you'd have seen me write that one before??  :thumbsup:

"Normoddensole" - soul music that is neither northern nor modern, 70s/80s records generally on a seven, sometimes on a twelve but always on vinyl and played either by DJ's with their roots in northern soul who think they know 'modden' (usually 70s or anything with a Drizabone beat) or old DJ's who used to play modern soul when these things were new 20-odd years ago but now are more suited to the northern soul/crossover arena because they don't/can't/won't keep up with new music.  biggrin.gif

link

She has heard it before also referred to as ToddMordernsoul :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!