Highest Percentage Of Dancers?

Just out of interest?

Which artist has the most 'dancers'? To qualify they must have had 4 releases. So has anyone had at least 4 records which are all dancers?

If not, who's got the highest ratio of records which are dancers?

Billy Harner?

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just out of interest?

Which artist has the most 'dancers'?  To qualify they must have had 4 releases. So has anyone had at least  4 records which are all dancers?

If not, who's got the highest ratio of records which are dancers?

Billy Harner?

link

may I put forward Ike and Tina Turner......Dust my broom always fills the floor,

Am I A Fool In Love is a good stomper, I Can't Believe What You Say , and pick one from many more.

Social source share

Major Lance - Investigate, You Dont Want Me No More, The Beat, Ain't No Soul...

Gene Chandler - There Was A Time, Mr Big Shot, I Can Take Care Of Myself, Nothing Can Stop Me.....

Darrell Banks - Our Love Is In The Pocket, Open The Door To Your Heart, I'm The One Who Loves You, Somebody Somewhere Need You...

The O'Jays - I Dig Your Act, Lipstick Traces, Hold On, I'll Never Forget You.....

Dozens more of course but thought this would get the ball rolling.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Major Lance - Investigate, You Dont Want Me No More, The Beat, Ain't No Soul...

Gene Chandler - There Was A Time, Mr Big Shot, I Can Take Care Of Myself, Nothing Can Stop Me.....

Darrell Banks - Our Love Is In The Pocket, Open The Door To Your Heart, I'm The One Who Loves You, Somebody Somewhere Need You...

The O'Jays - I Dig Your Act, Lipstick Traces, Hold On, I'll Never Forget You.....

Dozens more of course but thought this would get the ball rolling.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Darrell Banks....good one Mark.

Social source share

jackie wilson,has to be :rolleyes:

link

Jackie made loads of great dancers (in the 60's) but also made lots of (great) records which weren't dancers. So he loses out ratio wise. Likewise Major Lance. Made lots of great dancers but also made lots of 'easy listening' songs. (All of which were great)

Social source share

Most of the above mentioned were prolific recording artists maybe with the exception of Billy Harner or Darrell Banks so they dont really count . A lot of them recorded a lot of non dancers or went on to record some dire 70s disco releases which outweigh the quality 60s output.

Deon Jackson springs to mind as ratio of dancers to releases , everything released by him was sheer quality.

Edited by CRAIG W
Social source share

How about Jackie Lee-Darkest Days, The Duck, Temptation Walk, Your Personality, Oh My Darlin', Would You Believe, etc. I don't think anyone has as many dancers as he does. Almost EVERYTHING he did was a dance tune. Do we have a winner?

-Mike

Social source share

there can be only one answer...

The god father of soul, James Brown. :sweatingbullets:

link

There can only be a reply

If we are talking the rare soul scene I would think James has served us pretty poorly in relation to his career length. "Wake up and live" "What my baby need s now" and "For sentimental reasons" are for me his stand out "Soul" dancers.I love his other stuff but wouldnt want "sex machine "played at many venues I attend now(this 45 always reminds me of youthclubs and Sandra Donavons breasts:whistling:).

Got to go with Jackie Wilson just from his classic "Beautiful Day" lp there is four of the best soul dancers around.That got me thinking about the Hesitations " Soul Supermen"lp and again a fantastic lp you could almost just bang on a side and let it play through at any venue :rolleyes:

Social source share

There can only be a reply

If we are talking the rare soul scene I would think James has served us pretty poorly in relation to his career length. "Wake up and live" "What my baby need s now" and "For sentimental reasons" are for me his stand out "Soul" dancers.I love his other stuff but  wouldnt want "sex machine "played at many venues I attend now(this 45 always reminds me of youthclubs and Sandra Donavons breasts:whistling:).

Got to go with Jackie Wilson just from his classic "Beautiful Day" lp there is four of the best soul dancers around.That got me thinking about the Hesitations " Soul Supermen"lp and again a fantastic lp you could almost just bang on a side and let it play through at any venue :rolleyes:

link

========

Barbara Lynn?

Social source share

there can be only one answer...

The god father of soul, James Brown. :rolleyes:

link

God father Of Soul my arse.....personally can't stand the over-rated :graywanker: A few half decent tracks then a pile of trash IMHO :rolleyes::sweatingbullets::) Come to think of it can't think of a few :thumbsup:

Anyone mentioned Chuck Jackson?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Most Jobete artists from '62 - '69. If it's just the "raresoul" stuff you're looking for then these must deserve a mention in despatches:

Magnetics

Precisions

Embers

Otis Leavill

Volumes

AdLibs

Dynamics

Garland Green

Lou Johnson

Etc etc etc...........

Still amazes me that most of the stuff we love, was mostly all overlooked at the time.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!