No Records For You Lot

Pete S

Was told just now by the manager of our post office that there will be a nationwide strike on thursday, friday, monday and tuesday - they might deliver on saturday. Don't know if this official news yet. They'll certainly have bulging sacks on wednesday if thats the case.

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was told just now by the manager of our post office that there will be a nationwide strike on thursday, friday, monday and tuesday - they might deliver on saturday. Don't know if this official news yet. They'll certainly have bulging sacks on wednesday if thats the case.

hi pete s i put on the dates of the strike in freebaseing room on 28th sept. i am a postie and am not looking forward to losing 4 days pay :ohmy:thmbdn.gif but life goes on chris.

Social source share

hi pete s i put on the dates of the strike in freebaseing room on 28th sept. i am a postie and am not looking forward to losing 4 days pay :ohmy:thmbdn.gif but life goes on chris.

I support the strike, but 2 x 48 hours strikes in that period of time is too much - they are going to turn the public against them

Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

"They'll certainly have bulging sacks on wednesday if thats the case."

Oooer!!

Well someone had to say it.

Sorry :ohmy:

Edited by Glynn Jones
Social source share

bulging sacks? that sounds like a debilitating condition. hope it's not contagious.

on a serious note, I'm supposed to be sending 4 records out tomorrow.

would it be a good idea to send them or wait a while?

send them!

1 of them could be for me!!!

:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Typical, expecting package of 30 records from abroad, still......... up the workers !!! beer.gif

My postie deserves more :unsure:

Dukesy

Social source share

Strange thing to do really, go on strike when the government are closing post offices and encouraging the deregulation of postal services.

Fairly soon there will be viable alternative postal services which probably won't be as efficient but will be cheaper to run, probably be more expensive for the customer too. Similar thing happened to bus services; it was a bit chaotic at first but settled down eventually.

Are posties striking themselves out of jobs? It's happened to other industries/business sectors. :lol:

Edited by paultp
Social source share

A strike like this will only open the doors to private mail service providers. They will be 'larfing ones cocks orf'.

I used to be a miner, and it did'nt work for us.

Funny story though: A few weeks ago, me a few mates were in Tenerife and after a few beers one night, headed towards JAZZIMO, a sort of Soul/Motown cabaret bar. Anyway as we walked up to the door, this bloke come up to us and said he and a few of the staff were on strike and requested we did not cross the picket line.

As you can imagine, we did not go in and being in the mood, helped the cause by becoming 'flying pickets' and helping the strikers pursuade other revellers to stay away. Great fun, but seriously crossing a picket line is not an option.

Good luck to the Posties, but with so much cheap labour about, beware and dont be surprised if you get replaced sooner rather than later.

Ed

Social source share

Just bloody marvelous!! Waiting for 21 records :thumbsup:I'd hate to see my postie get the push 'cos he's a gem. No soggy parcels on the doorstep for me

yes.gif Same here ! He lives round the corner from me & if he knows i'm not in he brings them round later. A real trustworthy community postie that looks out for everyone on his round !

:D Getting sick of this world order to be honest ! it is just 'the cost of everything & the value of nothing' wherever you look ! Everything has to be done cheaper & quicker !

So where does it end ? What is the final price on everything ? Seems no business is ever happy to make a profit anymore ! Why be happy when you can screw someone & make a bigger profit ?

:( Gonna have to get me one of those artificial daylight things i think ! smile.gif

Social source share

The strike starts at 12pm thursday , though they are still talking tonight . Best ,Eddie
Hello Eddie,

If Mrs Thatcher was in charge she would probably replace the postal workers with cheap labour from illegal immigrants. It would reduce costs but I think we'd see quite an increase in credit card and identity fraud!

:lol:

To be serious, I'm pretty happy with the service I get from Royal Mail.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Posted the first batch of tunes from my list today...about 20 of them, all first class so hopefully should be with you tomorrow....

Can you believe my post office actually lost a package inside the post office...it was never actually posted but was handed over by me......unbelievable!

Still, the woman behind the counter still wants a soul bros 6 for her Hubbys birthday...get my money back somehow!

Chris

Social source share

I don't know why, but I liked it when the Post Office was the one and only and as the title says "Royal Mail"

We shouldn't expect a service such as this to make Profit or Cull it.

It should be a service that the Nation can be proud of. However, I fear that it will fragment and nobody be accountable

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Posted the first batch of tunes from my list today...about 20 of them, all first class so hopefully should be with you tomorrow....

Can you believe my post office actually lost a package inside the post office...it was never actually posted but was handed over by me......unbelievable!

Still, the woman behind the counter still wants a soul bros 6 for her Hubbys birthday...get my money back somehow!

Chris

You haven't read this thread at all have you Chris :lol:

The whole thread is about the postmen being on strike Thursday, friday, Monday, and Tuesday. So how do you expect people to get any records before next Wednesday at the earliest.

Stick to Disco Dancin' :lol:

Social source share

The strike starts at 12pm thursday , though they are still talking tonight . Best ,Eddie

So that implies that most deliveries will be done today then?

Only curious cos I done a CD for a mate, and posted it over the counter in london PO 1st Class Monday. It had seven miles to travel, and still hadn't arrived Wednesday. :lol:

Steve

Social source share

So that implies that most deliveries will be done today then?

Only curious cos I done a CD for a mate, and posted it over the counter in london PO 1st Class Monday. It had seven miles to travel, and still hadn't arrived Wednesday. :thumbup:

Steve

The London mail centres are the twilight zone Steve. Thank god i work at Gatwick mail centre.

Earlier this year i posted a load of records at the same time 2 to europe (france/germany), 1 to london , several others to other parts of the uk. The 2 european packets got there in 3 days, the london one took 6 days, the other uk packets all next day.

But seriously the action has been forced by the actions of the management who seem hell bent on running the company into the ground.

Derek

Social source share

Guest welshruss

I was told about this on Tuesday.Didnt give it a thought ! So i,ve arranged to pick up all the 45s i,ve bought at Prestatyn luckily.Maybe others can do the same if the seller is going

Cheers....Russ

Social source share

A strike like this will only open the doors to private mail service providers. They will be 'larfing ones cocks orf'.

I used to be a miner, and it did'nt work for us.

Funny story though: A few weeks ago, me a few mates were in Tenerife and after a few beers one night, headed towards JAZZIMO, a sort of Soul/Motown cabaret bar. Anyway as we walked up to the door, this bloke come up to us and said he and a few of the staff were on strike and requested we did not cross the picket line.

As you can imagine, we did not go in and being in the mood, helped the cause by becoming 'flying pickets' and helping the strikers pursuade other revellers to stay away. Great fun, but seriously crossing a picket line is not an option.

Good luck to the Posties, but with so much cheap labour about, beware and dont be surprised if you get replaced sooner rather than later.

Nice to read there are still people around with trade union principles.

Social source share

But seriously the action has been forced by the actions of the management who seem hell bent on running the company into the ground.

Derek

I know that. At the heart of it lies the issue is the PO a public service or is it a shareholder driven "for profit" organisation. Id it's the former then the current goons managing it should be hoofed out to eternity as they don't seem to understand that. If it's the latter, then God help our mail service. I realise the Government sets the agenda and it ends back on Gordon Brown's desk as well, so....as with everything I also blame the politicians for driving this. :thumbup:

I am not hearing of these types of problems with Deutche Post, or the US Postal Service, so something is wrong here.....

Social source share

Guest TonyCrampton

I know that. At the heart of it lies the issue is the PO a public service or is it a shareholder driven "for profit" organisation. Id it's the former then the current goons managing it should be hoofed out to eternity as they don't seem to understand that. If it's the latter, then God help our mail service. I realise the Government sets the agenda and it ends back on Gordon Brown's desk as well, so....as with everything I also blame the politicians for driving this. :thumbup:

I am not hearing of these types of problems with Deutche Post, or the US Postal Service, so something is wrong here.....

It,s a public service and as it does'nt make huge profits the government dont give a toss.IMO its one of our few great services and the posties,certainly where I live work their nuts off for very little pay.I no for sure alot of them dont want to strike as losing a days pay is no good to them.the proposal of them having to work to 65 to subsidise the pension of people that have just joined stinks.

Tony (The lazy tree surgeon)

Social source share

It,s a public service and as it does'nt make huge profits the government dont give a toss.IMO its one of our few great services and the posties,certainly where I live work their nuts off for very little pay.I no for sure alot of them dont want to strike as losing a days pay is no good to them.the proposal of them having to work to 65 to subsidise the pension of people that have just joined stinks.

Tony (The lazy tree surgeon)

i agree, the royal mail should be a nationalised service like it was. i have no idea why they want to privatise it. i do think they should have to work to 65 like the rest of us, mind.

our postie is a top bloke, as is the girl who stands in for him on his holidays.

Social source share

Guest TonyCrampton

i agree, the royal mail should be a nationalised service like it was. i have no idea why they want to privatise it. i do think they should have to work to 65 like the rest of us, mind.

our postie is a top bloke, as is the girl who stands in for him on his holidays.

Dan the reason I mentioned the retirement thing is because the posties that have been on there along time paid extra to their retirement funds so they could retire at 60.Now they are being told that they have to work till 65 to subsidise the people that have joined recently or sacrafice some of their pension. Does'nt seem right to me.

Cheers Tony.

Social source share

I think I can live with new tunes arriving a tad later than expected but how will I fare with having sent off this morning my cheque for tickeys for the up and coming 25th Kent records anniversary bash in London! Guess who doesn't watch much TV or read a newspaper and knew bugger all about any postal strikes?! Think I will be a very unhappy man if I lose out and don't get to see my fave lady Maxine B.

Never again will I use the post to buy tickets when the credit card / paypal option is there. Damn fool Bates..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert