Guest soul99 easylay

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soul99 easylay

...I've only just found out that Wigan has closed...

What?! The entire town...?? :lol:

Wow! The power of the written (typed) word eh?

I guess that's how rumours get started! :lol:

Social source share

Bearsy, Hunny,

It closed before you were out of short pants (now theres are scary thought). You didn't miss much after about 1975 anyway laugh.gif

QoFxx

Now I am showing my age here Chrissie, but for the benefit of Bearsy, it was good up til about 77 when the pop came in.

I was probably the youngest person ever to have a go at Minshull for playing Muriel Day. Was about 16 when I "questioned his taste in soul music" to put it politely ohmy.gif:thumbsup:

1980 it came back from the abyss, in heinsight Richard's spoits then were AWESOME- Nurons, Appointments, Jackey Beavers, Mr Soul,Bill Brandon, Bobby Thurston, Pages,Roy Dawson etc etc. Worth travelling from Kent for I kid u not!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Now I am showing my age here Chrissie, but for the benefit of Bearsy, it was good up til about 77 when the pop came in.

I was probably the youngest person ever to have a go at Minshull for playing Muriel Day. Was about 16 when I "questioned his taste in soul music" to put it politely ohmy.gif:thumbsup:

1980 it came back from the abyss, in heinsight Richard's spoits then were AWESOME- Nurons, Appointments, Jackey Beavers, Mr Soul,Bill Brandon, Bobby Thurston, Pages,Roy Dawson etc etc. Worth travelling from Kent for I kid u not!

still i would of liked to of experienced it though even if some of the tunes were propa kack ohmy.gif , its a shame that it just closed though as i was thinking of making a visit there soon so it looks like the shopping center instead, new shoes chrissie :D

Social source share

Between 77' & '81 were the years I graced the hallowed ground & I loved it, it would take me over 8 hours to get there from Portsmouth, as I could very rarely afford to get the expensive route on the train, it was a bit like trains, planes & automobiles, if you had no money you jumped the train or hitched, I once missed the coach from outside the Brit in Notts & ended up in a stlolen car (I didnt realise this until we were pulling into the car park at Wigan, in my defence & naivety !!!) You had to get there one way or another, there's a few other colourful tales too, but dont want to incriminate myself any further :(ph34r.gif ............in '77 I was one of the 'kids' the proper soulies moaned about...........I chose my DJ's in the main room, RS being my main point of interest, along with a few others, I didnt really have any interest in the pop, with a few exceptions & spent a lot of time in M's between my favourite DJ's in the main room........getting my soulful education............I danced quite often on the balcony in M's on that bit of hardboard..........so I was the one partly responsible for the bits falling on ya head from the ceiling :(:(:lol: .

I s it really closed :D .

Russ

Social source share

Between 77' & '81 were the years I graced the hallowed ground & I loved it, it would take me over 8 hours to get there from Portsmouth, as I could very rarely afford to get the expensive route on the train, it was a bit like trains, planes & automobiles, if you had no money you jumped the train or hitched, I once missed the coach from outside the Brit in Notts & ended up in a stlolen car (I didnt realise this until we were pulling into the car park at Wigan, in my defence & naivety !!!) You had to get there one way or another, there's a few other colourful tales too, but d>>ont want to incriminate myself any further :lol::thumbsup: ............in '77 I was one of the 'kids' the proper soulies moaned about...........I chose my DJ's in the main room, RS being my main point of interest, along with a few others, I didnt really have any interest in the pop, with a few exceptions & spent a lot of time in M's between my favourite DJ's in the main room........getting my soulful education............I danced quite often on the balcony in M's on that bit of hardboard..........so I was the one partly responsible for the bits falling on ya head from the ceiling laugh.gif:D:( .

I s it really closed ohmy.gif .

Russ

Way tooooooooo deep and philosophical Russ. :(

We used Persil vouchers which made the train from London cheap. "Proper" soulies moaning about us??? - who they then? wanker.gif

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!