Linda Grigglestone

Guest mobbsy

Guest mobbsy

Anyone knows her whereabouts? from Norwich ,think she moved to the Bristol area, mad as a hatter!but nice though!!

Edited by mobbsy
Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest martyn

Anyone knows her whereabouts? from Norwich ,think she moved to the Bristol area, mad as a hatter!but nice though!!

I remember Linda from the 70s-I think Martinsbox on here knew her better than me,might be worth an ask.

Social source share

Guest gb2nyc

Hello,

The last time I saw Linda was at the back of the inns in Norwich, she was wearing a business suit and heels I hardly recognized her. This was in 1984 before I moved to the States. Sorry I couldn't help locate her.

Does anyone remember Smiler????

I recognize some of the names here, the brain ain't what it used to be though, I wonder why?

Angie

Social source share

Hello,

The last time I saw Linda was at the back of the inns in Norwich, she was wearing a business suit and heels I hardly recognized her. This was in 1984 before I moved to the States. Sorry I couldn't help locate her.

I recognize some of the names here, the brain ain't what it used to be though, I wonder why?

Angie

Hi Ang,

I remember Smiler from the Spinney Youth Centre back in the early 70's. I was about 13 at the time and can picture him dancing to Barnaby Bye and the Brothers. He was a superb shuffler.

Not sure what happened to him. Think his first name was Rodney and Im not really sure what happened to him.

I was in awe of them boys then. Paddy Hogan was another and many many more. Did you go to the Spinney?

Mobbsy - Ure obbsessed with Linda :lol:

Social source share

Guest mobbsy

Hello,

Angie

hi , last time i saw Smiler was around 1979 lived near me in Norwich know his brother well, heard he was living in a bus somewhere in France !!!! with hippie type people. gb2nyc are you fron Norwich?

Social source share

Hi Ang,

I remember Smiler from the Spinney Youth Centre back in the early 70's. I was about 13 at the time and can picture him dancing to Barnaby Bye and the Brothers. He was a superb shuffler.

Not sure what happened to him. Think his first name was Rodney and Im not really sure what happened to him.

I was in awe of them boys then. Paddy Hogan was another and many many more. Did you go to the Spinney?

Mobbsy - Ure obbsessed with Linda :lol:

Hey Ang,

Just sussed you are in Brooklyn with the New York Subway Soul Club. Came to one of your events in either December or January. You were mean't to have it in Greewich Village but it was moved to Brooklyn due to refurbishment!!!!!!!

I live in Norwich in the UK. Coming back in January 08.

Thats just done my head in!!!!!!!!!

Alan

Social source share

Guest mobbsy

Hey Ang,

Just sussed you are in Brooklyn with the New York Subway Soul Club. Came to one of your events in either December or January. You were mean't to have it in Greewich Village but it was moved to Brooklyn due to refurbishment!!!!!!!

I live in Norwich in the UK. Coming back in January 08.

Thats just done my head in!!!!!!!!!

Alan

Your head was done in years ago Alamo :lol:

Social source share

Guest gb2nyc

I know you Mobbsy how ya doing?

Yes I went to the Spinney Youth Centre thats where I met Smiler, he came up to me and said " why you dancing to disco its crap, why not be different and dance to music that means somthing", and being the the person I am I just had to be different so thats how it all began, I can't believe I forgot Paddy Hogan the three of us used to hang out together. Smiler was always making me laugh.

I lived in Norwich my name is Angie Auger 5 ft 2 dark brown hair, green eyes. I danced at Peoples, Samson & Hurcules, Peterborough (fleet) and sports hall, St Ives, Wigan once, Cleethorps and anywhere else they played Northern soul. :D

I don't live in Brooklyn any more I live in New Jersey, I havn't been to the Subway Soul Club yet as I just found out about from another forum on the Northern soul site, I shall be going to the next one on the 20th Oct, so let me know what ya look like Alan and I'll buy ya a beer if ya go.

I am so glad I found this site its great meeting with old friends, I am in england every year my mum still lives in Caister-on-sea so I shall see about coming to some events when I am over, I hear theres a do in Norwich..................tell me more please :lol:

TTFN

Angie

Edited by gb2nyc
Social source share

Guest mobbsy

I know you Mobbsy how ya doing?

Yes I went to the Spinney Youth Centre thats where I met Smiler, he came up to me and said " why you dancing to disco its crap, why not be different and dance to music that means somthing", and being the the person I am I just had to be different so thats how it all began, I can't believe I forgot Paddy Hogan the three of us used to hang out together. Smiler was always making me laugh.

I lived in Norwich my name is Angie Auger 5 ft 2 dark brown hair, green eyes. I danced at Peoples, Samson & Hurcules, Peterborough (fleet) and sports hall, St Ives, Wigan once, Cleethorps and anywhere else they played Northern soul. :D

I don't live in Brooklyn any more I live in New Jersey, I havn't been to the Subway Soul Club yet as I just found out about from another forum on the Northern soul site, I shall be going to the next one on the 20th Oct, so let me know what ya look like Alan and I'll buy ya a beer if ya go.

I am so glad I found this site its great meeting with old friends, I am in england every year my mum still lives in Caister-on-sea so I shall see about coming to some events when I am over, I hear theres a do in Norwich..................tell me more please :D

TTFN

Angie

I still see paddy and his brother Sean at soul dos now and again, did you attend Earlham school? monsey and i did regards Mobbsy :unsure:

Social source share

Guest gb2nyc

Yup, I went to Earlham Comp., from 1972 and got paroled 1977.

I shall scan a piccy later as I have to hunt an old one and get a new one done too, I just got home from work and I am dead tired.

TTFN

Angie

Social source share

Anyone remember the nighter at the Spinney in 75 or 76.

I think Skip must have been behind it,

I can recall being in 7th heaven dancing to Beverley Ann even though for some reason I was straight for this night which at the time was unheard of. :thumbsup:

We used to go there on a weeknight for a time as well,

Happy days

Social source share

I can recall being in 7th heaven dancing to Beverley Ann even though for some reason I was straight for this night which at the time was unheard of. wicked.gif

Happy days

Hi Fenman,

Tuesday night was the Spinney session night. Where it all began 4 me. Beverley Ann & The Brothers were 2 sounds that are etched in memory that remind me of the Spinney. Cant listen to BA without a spine tingle and a little tear in the eye (Soppy twat).

They had 2 niters there. The first one was when I was only 14 and at the time and I lived across the road quite literally. Remember the older crew talking about this allnighter for weeks and I was in awe of it all - What was an allniter!!?? I decided that night to sneak out and go to the niter and make sure I was back b4 my parents woke up (Shock horror and I made it. Old chap would have killed me if he'd known)

I got there at 11pm and left at about 3am and was absolutely blown away by it all. I knew so many staff and people there that getting in wasn't a problem, infact I didn't have to pay at all and bought a copy of Barnaby Bye 'Cant Live This Way' with the couple quid I had. The Spinney had been a big part of my life from 8 years old onwards as a youth club and 'Northern Soul' being played there was just the icing on the cake which then became a way of life through the 70/80's and in recent years has now gone full circle and here we go again!

Skip was your man. Sadly lost his life to chemicals but unless im mistaken was the one who introduced 'Now Youve Got The Upper Hand' by Candi Staton to the Northern scene. Although I knew of him people comment that he was well ahead of his time when it came to the music discoveries.

I'd give anything to go back in time and watch the older lads shuffling to the Brothers across the dancefloor... memories.

Alan

Social source share

ok here is the piccy of me way back when. TTFN Angie

post-9606-1191968165.jpg

Hi Angie,

Just as I remember you. Do you recall Patricia Ward from Earlham School. I vaguely remember her telling me you were in the USA.

Did you get married and move over there, family, work etc? Love to know. Im sure you were in my class a school or one of the forms in my year. Mr. John was my class tutor if that rings a bell.

This forum is amazing for throwing up blasts from the past. Funny how its all gone full circle for us 40 somethings(!!??).

Tell us more about you in the States. Do you collect 45's or have any from the early days?

look forward to hearing from you yes.gif .

Alan

Social source share

ok here is the piccy of me way back when. TTFN Angie

post-9606-1191968165.jpg

Now I remember you! We didn't like each other ! ohmy.gif

Only joking,I do remember the face though,probably from the Fleet.Went to Samson & Hercules with Hammy when he was on there once (I think),& with Mick Lewin once when we were on holiday in Yarmouth :lol:

Social source share

Right,............ now you have placed me face, I would like to have piccys of you, I am sure you look just as handsom/pretty as you were when we hung out together, it not more so...... how about a then and now piccy.........

I shall upload a "as I am now" piccy on the weekend as I don't have time now, I'll also update you on what I have been up to for the last 20 odd years................. I'll try and keep it short ok.

I kept in touch with Pat Ward up till she had her first child, then once when she told me about her third child, I shall have to track her down again.

Any one know what happened to Kim Asker? we used to sing the hymes from the bottom of the page backwards untill we got caught that was a giggle.

I can remember Mr John I think I was in his home room, Hey Alan did you sit next to me in Art class?

Anyhow FFTN

Angie

Edited by gb2nyc
Social source share

We also used to hang out at the Wherry pub on a thursday night ( Castle Hill? ) when Skip and a few others would play their stuff and we would finalise the arrangements for the weekend ahead, where we were going, how we were getting there etc and score the gear.

The pub changed hands and we were no longer welcome, is it still there?

By the middle of 75 the scene in Norwich exploded.

I also remember a coachload of us going to Cleethorpes and to one of the first Wirrina nighters,

Oh to be 18 again.

Social source share

We also used to hang out at the Wherry pub on a thursday night ( Castle Hill? )

Hi Fenman,

The Wherry had an entrance on Castle Meadow, & one at the bottom at the 'Back Of The Inns' Sadly it pulled its last pints in the 90's but for the life of me I cant remember what is there now. Will check it out next time im in City.

As for the scene exploding, Norwich was massively into it then which is totally opposite to today im afraid. In the words of Ray Pollard - 'Its A Sad Thing'

Going to St. Ives this weekend to rekindle some old memories!

A

Social source share

Lets see the easiest way to do this is.

1984 Moved to the States

1985 Got married to a Pilot in the USAF (Abelene Texas) got my first kitty.

1986 Moved to Little Rock Aransas (still married) I bumpped into Kate from Peterborough she had short red hair and was the best spinner out of all the girls. Weird that was, the last time I saw her she was working in a bar down town Little Rock and had just broken her nose on the edge of the counter getting up. Funny what you remember..

1987 Move to Huston Texas, nothing but trucks with gun racks, cowboy hats and boots. Got two more Kittys. I HATE COUNTRY MUSIC AND RODEOS

1989 Moved to Moreno Valley California (between LA and Palm Springs), never seen smog that thick before or mountains, settled down to domsetic strife I rescued fourkittys kept four and rehomed three.

1990 Traveled a lot this year, Hawaii,( boring, I didn't drink enough) Sydney,Austrailia (loved it), San Fransico, England. Pueto Rico. Hubby worked for a commercial airline so we had cheap seats.

1992 Divorced hubby.......... took the cats I got the better end of the deal.

1993 Traveled to Turkey (don't ask) got in a car accident car went off a hill (no I wasn't driving), car blew up 15 seconds after I got out, took me 10 days to get out of country as everything was burnt, no money no passport nada....but it was a hell of a trip.

1994 to 1997 Partied my arse off with a buch of English/locals mates I met out there, hung out In LA, Las Vegas and Mexico (night clubs stayed open till 5 am there). my cats died one by one as they all had feline aids, I was heart broken, they all had thier shots too. I said never again....

1997 Drove across the States and moved to Brooklyn, I needed a change, I missed the four seasons, Ok........... it was a good idea at the time.

1998 Met partner

2000 Left Partner,Moved/Drove back across to California (I thought I missed it there) I didn't really.

2001 Got married in Las Vegas to partner (yeah same one) I wonder if this one will last longer than 7 years HMMMMMMMM Moved back to Brooklyn, yeah I know. I was dropped on my head as a baby, or too many all nighters and STUFF, did my head in. Found stray staving cat, she kept us. rescued yet another cat.

2003 Bought house in New Jersey, I've been painting the bugger since then, my Partner don't know what end of a brush to hold, but hes a whizz on the ol puter. Rescued another cat, up to three now, you with me????

2006 Resued another cat but she had to have her tail and back leg amputated, so we have tripod cat, we now have 3 and 3/4 cats, who said never again?!!!

2007 Here we are, I know I live life on the edge in the fast lane but somones gotta do it.

Now I think we are up to date if I left anything out I'll let ya know.

Now it's your turn what you lot been up too? Anyone a Grand parent yet?

Damm...... thats what I forgot, kids, I knew there was somthing I had to do one day. Oh

well too late now. LOL

TTFN

Angie

Edited by gb2nyc
Social source share

I hope you had a great time Alan, I wish I could go.

Angie

Hi Ang,

Wow, what an action packed life youve had. You're not a travel agent are you!!??

Yes we did sit with each other in art class, Miss Spencer I think 7 Mr John was our form tutor. Used to sit next to Pat in most lessons and was really good friends with her during the school years.

Kim Asker, lovely girl, married Martyn Rigden and was with him for many years and ended up seperated as most long standing relationships seem to!!?? Dont know her whereabouts now.

Have tried to upload a picture for you but for some strange reason I have problems on Soul Source which always prevent it from happening. File size is much smaller than allowed size so just dont understand it. Perhaps your partner might know why?

If you have a personal email address I will be more than happy to fire one off for you. Got a nice one I had in Studio A Hitsville, Detroit thumbup.gif

Anyway, a short history as follows:

77 - Started work as an apprentice in Printing. (Stayed in Industry for 30 years leaving 2 years ago to become a house husband. Left work as an 'operations director')

84 - Got married, 2 girls Hannah & Charlotte (one occasionally comes to all nighters with me!)

87 - Divorced. went wild for couple of years got into Acid House & House Music moving on to Rave. Nearest buzz to Northern Soul I could get. Hadn't really discovered the internet then so didn't really know what was happening in the Northern scene.

89 - Met 2nd wife to be whilst in Zante, Greece. She was backpacking round the world. Carried on going to illegal raves and the odd soul night in Norwich when they happened.

93 -Married again and spent next few years dedicated to my career and travelling.

03 - My son Billy was born and im really getting back into the Northern Soul scene now.

05 onwards - Left work to become house husband. Started up my soul music website ( www.soulshack-records.com) as a hobby selling all genres on soul vinyl. Give it a look thumbsup.gif

Love being at home and listening to soul music on the net. Been recently to Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit on my quest to understand the roots of the 60's music scene. More plans to visit more USA cities in the near future.

Howz that. Not as colourful as you im afraid but still enjoyed every minute of it!

Alan

Social source share

I'm not a travel agent, I am a prostodontic dentists asstiant, I've also workied in banks, sold diamonds, made teeth in a lab, bar person ( but got into my work too much ), retail. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Its funny where life leads you, I never planned anything in my whole life, I went where the wind blew me. I don't have any stress as I don't worry about stuff I can't control and the stuff I can well it can wait hehehehe.

My dad had to meet Smiler and Paddy before he would let me go to my first allnighter, I was 14 at the time, they were so well behaved I nearly cracked up laughing. Thing mates do for mates.

Sadly my dad passed away this March and I will always remember him saying "are you off out with the northern arse holes" I think he didn't like his little girl growing up. Hes the reason I am here, life is too short not to enjoy it and I may look like an old fart on the dance floor this weekend but I love to dance to northen soul and no one is gonna stop me. so there PHHHHATTTTT.

I posted a few old piccys in my album, I didn't have money for a camera till 1980 and then most of them didn't come out.

TTFN

Angie

Social source share

Me again, I have just had a piccy taken so you can see how I have aged. Now don't say coor blimey wot happened to er..............I have an excuse, its called getting older....and a lot bloody wiser.

Angie

post-9606-1192384100_thumb.jpg

Social source share

angie,

I'm in regular contact with kate davis (formerly rudd) & you're right she was one of the best, if not the best of the peterborough area dancers. there's a nice shot of her dancing at a recent st.ives reunion, all blazing red hair & navy blue & white polka dot dress.

cheers,

macca (ex peterborough)

Social source share

Hey Macca, If you see Kate give her my reguards and remind her of the nose incident.

I can't find the piccy you mentioned, directions please.

Thanks Angie

Edited by gb2nyc
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Linda is my cousin .. totally lost touch with where she is (I now live in the US), but I'm sure I could find out if you'd really like.

Way back I had no idea she was into NS, then bumped into her at Yate one night (there were a bunch from Norwich that traveled down to Yate from what I remember).

Small world.

- David (Grigglestone)

Social source share

Linda is my cousin .. totally lost touch with where she is (I now live in the US), but I'm sure I could find out if you'd really like.

Way back I had no idea she was into NS, then bumped into her at Yate one night (there were a bunch from Norwich that traveled down to Yate from what I remember).

Small world.

- David (Grigglestone)

I worked with her dad, Geoff, he used to be a guard on the trains. her brother used to work in the ticket office at Norwich .did hear she was living in Attlebourgh near Norwich . i was guilty of getting her into the northern scene :(

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I worked with her dad, Geoff, he used to be a guard on the trains. her brother used to work in the ticket office at Norwich .did hear she was living in Attlebourgh near Norwich . i was guilty of getting her into the northern scene ph34r.gif

you were guilty of loads of things even getting me to go to bristol yate with you,,,how you doing mobbsy,,

Social source share

you were guilty of loads of things even getting me to go to bristol yate with you,,,how you doing mobbsy,,

fine still on the railway!!! married 4 kids but still love the music! really glad to get contact with you! Hope you are doing okeh, heard you are living in Attlebough???? I am doing the talk in nowich on 6 th dec its a motown and northern nite lots of the old crew will be there!!! You have made my day :lol: Mobbsy :(

Social source share

fine still on the railway!!! married 4 kids but still love the music! really glad to get contact with you! Hope you are doing okeh, heard you are living in Attlebough???? I am doing the talk in nowich on 6 th dec its a motown and northern nite lots of the old crew will be there!!! You have made my day :D Mobbsy :ohmy:

attleborough,,,i never went there not even for a visit,,,,,im still in touch with billy whiz though and im still nuts about the music... we will have to catch up on old times mate..and i might be able to even make the 6th,,,,,brent :(

Social source share

• 2 years later...

hi

Just came across these messages regarding The Spinney in Norwich and origins etc.

Yes, Skip did DJ at the two allnighters, but he was was not behind the organising of them. Mick started the Tuesday night northern nites, the first nite he did, there was only two people there, but as the weeks went on the numbers grew and then he organised the niters, in association with the youth leaders of course !

Edited by sheep
Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest manusf3a

I can recall being in 7th heaven dancing to Beverley Ann even though for some reason I was straight for this night which at the time was unheard of. :wicked:

Happy days

Might have been Shaun organising it he used to dj a bit.
Social source share

I can recall being in 7th heaven dancing to Beverley Ann even though for some reason I was straight for this night which at the time was unheard of. :wicked:

Happy days

It was not Skip, it was Mick Maguire. still got Beverley Ann on Greek copy, only two known copies exist as he keeps telling me lol.

Billy

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Linda last seen by me at Bedford not loong after Iwas free again ,she was telling me how Norwich was suffering from a blitz of chemist burglaries(Didnt take long to work out who was behind said blitz)she later I discovered had brought Tony Giddens (Guildford )to do his bitAfew months later I moved to Norwich myself to take part in the ongoing blitz.Some time later when it all went pear shaped and everyone was in the dock at Norwich crown court,by this time some Norwichhippie lads were also invoved and about twenty people were in the dock,all connected in different ways but me and Keith Harpur got singled out for abuse from the judge,he gave out a load of fours and threes.There was an article in the news of the world at the time with a photo of a broken dda box and headlines something like "Drug gangs robbi9ng chemists all over norfolk etc",.Ah what fun it was !

ps Iwoyuld really like to hear from Kev Featherstone,a good guy and you couldnt ask for anyone more loyal,we had a falling out years ago but it was entirely my fault and I am glad we met some time after so I could suare things ,He knows his soul no doubt about that and I hope hes still chilling.Last time I saw him he was looking after his brother Anrew (I think that was his name.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!