Pete S

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

SOUL OF GEORGIA - KISS AND RUN / COOL - BLACK SHEEP BS 102.

I've found another 45 by them in the guides but not this one and someone wants to buy it but I haven't a clue what to charge.

Anyone heard of it, know it?

cheers

post-1893-1191406261_thumb.jpg

Charge me a tenner blind :unsure:

Social source share

SOUL OF GEORGIA - KISS AND RUN / COOL - BLACK SHEEP BS 102.

I've found another 45 by them in the guides but not this one and someone wants to buy it but I haven't a clue what to charge.

Anyone heard of it, know it?

cheers

post-1893-1191406261_thumb.jpg

Its a rare one Pete. The release Black Sheep 102 come out twice with different flips to "Cool" Kiss and Run was the first issue then "You Better Move On" / "Cool" on BS 102

Black Sheep is a Texan Label no idea of value though

Social source share

Its a rare one Pete. The release Black Sheep 102 come out twice with different flips to "Cool" Kiss and Run was the first issue then "You Better Move On" / "Cool" on BS 102

Black Sheep is a Texan Label no idea of value though

Thanks Ged. Cool is just a run of the mill rock n roll / r & b instrumental, totally different to the other (vocal) side.

Social source share

Cool is just a run of the mill rock n roll / r & b instrumental, totally different to the other (vocal) side.

"Cool" is a Major Bill Smith "special"... :unsure: He released it at least 25 times as a "filler b-side" on his labels (Charay, Soft, LeCam etc.) when he didn't want to fork out more money on his artists. The same tune was also issued numerous times as "Patsy" and "Alpine Winter". "Kiss And Run" is written by Bobby Skel (Bobby Skelton). There are also versions recorded by Bruce Channel on Soft, J. Frank Wilson on Josie and by Bobby Skel himself on Soft. I haven't heard the Soul Of Georgia version, but it wouldn't surprise me if they all utilise the same backing track (another MBS "special"...).

Any chance of a sound clip of the 45 on Black Sheep?

More info about Bobby Skel here:

https://www.geocities.com/spikeopath/bobbyskel.htm

Nowadays Bobby Skel runs the Rinky-Tinks Sandwich Shop & Ice Cream Parlor in Granbury, Texas. Check it out:

https://www.rinkytinks.com/

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Hi Pete

Don't know if it'll help - Andy Walko who runs the texassoulrecordings.com site maybe able to put you in contact with someone to advise re: value etc.. andy@texassoulrecordings.com

Only 8 releases on the label tho texas site states 7 - maybe cause 103 & 104 are same record - 1st n 2nd release...

Don't understand why numbering duplicated though : ie "Soul Smoochers" - Since I met you baby (101) & Black pepper inst (101) / "Soul of Georgia" - Kiss n Run (102) & You better move on (102) " Eddie Gale" & 2 out of 3 releases by "Those guy's" are all (103)....

What does the Kiss n Run sound like - tbh "You better move on" not really my taste - but you've obviously seen the guide price so you maybe lucky with the K & R....

Regards

Karen

Social source share

Thanks for the great info guys.

Here is the record.

It's f*cking terrible. Listen to the out of tune strings right at the end.

Not that good then - I recommend removal of strings n Tra la la girlie backing - maybe try n speed up + 1 or 2 may improve it slightly but doubt :lol:

Interested to know how much you get for it...

best

Karen

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As well as those titles mentioned by Sebastian, "Cool" is also on the flip of Sons Of Moses "Soul Symphony" (I can't remember what it's called there) and Carolyn Sullivan's "Dead" (where it's called 'Wow"). Plus, as Sebastian says, at least two dozen other Major Bill Smith-related flipsides.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!