Bigsoulman

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

yes ......for about 6-7 years ...it lost the energy for me and i started promoting acid house nights at the start ( i was 17) then listened to garage house ( the paradise garage and not the shit they call garage now)...

then basically met a girl , got proper job ..had kids bought house etc

got back into it when staying in with the (ex) wife wasn't fun anymore

Davie

Social source share

Well guy's and gals, did or have you ever strayed away from your beloved soul?, say in the 80s when the scene was quiet, tell the truth now! :secret:

link

Yes,

I worked in a heavy metal bar in Llorett De Mar for a while & quite got to like some of the tracks they played :) Not enough to buy though.

Another pub I worked in there used to get me up on top of the DJ consul (the cab of a truck to the edge of the dance floor) to lead the punters in 'The Time Warp'. :huh::)

Must admit I enjoyed the 'attention' it used to get me from certain quarters :sleep3::huh::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mattmale

Yes :thumbsup:

Stopped going for same reasons as everyone else, job, house, respectability etc.. realising the drugs would kill me if i carried on but stupidly couldn't see one without the other :huh:

Got back into it when i bumped into Mark Freeman in town one saturday about nine years ago. Hadn't seen him since Stafford despite knowing him since i was about eight at middle school. He told me he was organising local soul nights (the Old Hall Mark if you read this), i went along and that was it... felt like i'd never been away but now older, wiser, and with more money for records :) which were ten times the price :huh: don't tell my wife :sleep3:

M.

Social source share

I was one of the 150 in M's when there weren't enough people to open the main room and it weren't cool anymore - on the dole but I still managed to get to Rotherham and wake up in Lincoln on a Tuesday....but I did wear a Blockheads T to Wigan - does that count?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I stopped going abouta year or 2 after Stafford closed.

Still listened to it at home, or in the car.

Saw the Hot House Flowers, in a pub in Bristol before they had their first top twenty hit. Thought they were the most soulful act I had seen. Started listening to other Irish bands, going to see them live etc. Fell into watching/working for/following live acts. Had a great 6 or 7 years. Saw too many fantastic live bands (still couldnt do normal disco's). Best being Eat, closely followed by, Pop Will Eat Itself, The H H Flowers, New Model Army and the Pixies.

Social source share

Yes, and not sure I'm really back on the scene to be honest (well not in the way I used to be). Around 89 started going to Garage clubs (those inspired by the Paradise Garage) and jumping around in full blown buffoonery within the Acid House scene. Did this in tandem for a few years with the soul scene (and got ripped for my dress sense - and rightfully so :sleep3: ), and was still a regular at the 100 club and other venues up to 1992.

Around that time I got shed loads of stick for being disloyal, with this; and a plethora of other reasons I decided to call it a day, sold my collection (big mistake) and off I popped to pastures new. It was also around this time I started studying as a mature student and that also took up a lot of my time and energy.

It got to the point that I needed a break; the scene was running my life, had done since 1878 and The House / Detroit Techno scene offered something new, exciting but importantly not so totally encompassing as being involved headfirst in the soul scene.

I still loved the music and will till I'm pushing up the daisy's, and luckily having mates who are collectors, enabled me to stay in touch and continue to hear this god given music, and that continues to this day.

Started going back to the odd event around 1999, do the odd soul night and nighter but I'm still fighting the the urge to start collecting again, but it's fecking tempting :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Never really got into anything else on a buying front, never sold my collection but in the late 80's when I was running pubs I didn't get out and about much really. When I first go into the scene tho I did have everything that Bowie had recorded up until that point '75 ish. So I was destined to be a collector even then. I sold my Bowie singles collection in about '82 and got £50 for the lot. I was ripped off really and it put me off selling for a long time. Once the 'northern' bug bit me it never went away even if it was just tapes in the car when I couldn't get to venues.

Social source share

Well guy's and gals, did or have you ever strayed away from your beloved soul?, say in the 80s when the scene was quiet, tell the truth now! :secret:

link

===============================================

Got into Soul Music in 1966 and have remained faithful ever since :)

Nearly 40 years and loved every minute of it must admit tho the early 70,s

where the best Highland Room, Torch , Cats , Va Va,s ,Wigan Cas

yip those where the best years of my life and the music has stood the test

of time from that era ( well most of it :sleep3: )

Like the sayin goes ..You can take the records off a SoulMan ,But you cant Take the Soul outa the Man :huh: or Woman to be politically correct :thumbsup:

Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

Never really got into anything else on a buying front, never sold my collection but in the late 80's when I was running pubs I didn't get out and about much really. When I first go into the scene tho I did have everything that Bowie had recorded up until that point '75 ish. So I was destined to be a collector even then. I sold my Bowie singles collection in about '82 and got £50 for the lot. I was ripped off really and it put me off selling for a long time. Once the 'northern' bug bit me it never went away even if it was just tapes in the car when I couldn't get to venues.

link

Ged, you and I really must meet up...up until about 18 months ago I had every Bowie release up to 1980 except one - I had liza jane on vocalion, both parlophones, all three on Pye, I had one Deram missing, had all the mercurys...philips lp, drag sleeve lp, I sold the lot for not much really. The only ones left are the rare New Zealand fan club disc from 1973 and a Spanish Pye 45.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!