Cleaning Records - An Update

Gene-R

Having read the previous thread on cleaning records, it reminded me of a method I've been using with 100% success for the past six years. If you've cleaned a record the best you can, and it still makes a noise when playing (even though it looks clean), this method will cleanse a record of the dirt still trapped in the grooves, which cause the annoying noise.

This method works with all type of vinyl, even acetates!!

INGREDIENTS:

1 record which sounds like a chip pan, but looks as smooth as silk.

1 roll of toilet tissue (or kitchen roll).

1 bottle of Domestos.

METHOD:

Cover the vinyl with an even smearing of Domestos, taking care not to get any on the label (if you're uncomfortable about this, try placing a cup or mug over the label to avoid any contact).

Stand for about 30 mins.

Place the record under a running cold tap, again avoiding contact with the label. Set the record down on a flat surface, and proceed to dry with toilet tissue, in a circular action. Once the vinyl looks clean and dry, repeat the bleaching process for the other side. Then, dry off ALL bleach/water on both sides of the record, and play.

On the first play, you will notice white residue playing out of the grooves. Nothing to worry about, it's just dried bleach. But you will notice that if the noise was caused by dirt trapped in the grooves, it will now sound crystal clear!!

Finally, after playing the record once, clean the surface with water to get rid of any surface residue.

If, by now, the record still plays with a noise, it's either caused by deep scratches, or it's the way the record was pressed in the first place.

PS - First attemtps are advisable on junk records before you really get stuck in to your rarities!!

Gene

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No, the bleach dust doesn't damage the stylus, as long as you brush any residue off the stylus after each play. Also ensure that you "wash" the record thoroughly with water before a first play, cleaning off any visible white residue.

However, if you're still unsure, then it's probably best to keep an old stylus for this purpose, though the dust will not damage the stylus in any way.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Do people really use tissue/tap water or even the dishwasher like Pete-S ???

I can't believe I read all this.

Well, the PROPER way to clean a 40 year old record that may be worth $$$ or $$$$ or just $ if you care about your cheap records as much as your expensive ones is to buy a professional vaccuum wet brush machine. The VPI and clearaudio costs thousands but there is an affordable option with the nitty gritty pro, its available at https://www.kabusa.com/ngp1.htm or at www.needledoctor.com

It's worth selling one of your 300 gbp rarities just to buy this machine, be surprised how much you've been missing out on listening to your collection.

Could rant on but won't

Social source share

Gene

How the heck do you come up with these methods, is it a case of looking under your kitchen sink and seeing what cleaners are lurking there!  Elaine must wonder why she's always having to stock up on cleaners at Tescos!

Tim

link

LOL Tim!! But at least now, Elaine's complaints about there being no bog roll are completely justified! As for cleaners, she makes sure I buy my own!!

Now now, sweet.....JOKE, JOKE! Put that frying pan down now, please.....OUCH!!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!