Coining Of Phrases On The Scene

Gasher

ok got asked a question last night(or should I say this morning)from my girl and had trouble putting my spin to it???? :D

Dave Godin..coined the "northern Soul " tag

but who is responsible for the " Keep the faith " phrase on the Soul scene

and what does it mean to you ot what do you think it means to others

"Keep the faith " was a phrase coined in the 60s by former congressman and minister, Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. These phrases were used to encourage the people to keep their heads held high, and to stay in the struggle.

but I cant see where the struggle and holding your head high is relevant to the scene...

please enlighten my gorgeous gals 2.37am ranting while I try to sleep.. :thumbup:

the gasher

wicked.gif

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

ok got asked a question last night(or should I say this morning)from my girl and had trouble putting my spin to it???? :thumbup:

"Keep the faith " was a phrase coined in the 60s by former congressman and minister, Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. These phrases were used to encourage the people to keep their heads held high, and to stay in the struggle.

but I cant see where the struggle and holding your head high is relevant to the scene...

please enlighten my gorgeous gals 2.37am ranting while I try to sleep.. sleep3.gif

the gasher

:D

Keep the faith goes back before the 60s Gash - but then again so does the scene these days rolleyes.gif

Social source share

ok got asked a question last night(or should I say this morning)from my girl and had trouble putting my spin to it???? :D

please enlighten my gorgeous gals 2.37am ranting while I try to sleep.. :thumbup:

the gasher

wicked.gif

I think you'll find that it's Dave Godin again in terms of "our" usage.

He would sign off his column with, Right On Now, KeepThe Faith.

Which I suppose indicated his support of the Afro Americans struggle(IMO)

Tony

Social source share

I think you'll find that it's Dave Godin again in terms of "our" usage.

He would sign off his column with, Right On Now, KeepThe Faith.

Which I suppose indicated his support of the Afro Americans struggle(IMO)

Tony

Yeah Godin deffo signed off that way - will have to check the original origin though.

I had a record called "Keep the faith" once - it was a garage type thingy mid 60s. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Mind you though,

Could any Brit actually say Keep the Faith or Right On,

without sounding like a right tw*t wicked.gif

And surely the most common phrase used in Rare Soul Circles is...........

" Course I know it, I was playing it 10 years ago" ?????

Tony

Edited by tonyp
Social source share

Keep the faith goes back before the 60s Gash - but then again so does the scene these days rolleyes.gif

Much as I admired Dave Godin, I think you'll find it was an obscure cult called The Catholics who first used the phrase "keep the faith". Their leader was called The Pope if I remember correctly.

But it's a long time since I was an alter boy so I can't be sure about these things.

:D

Paul Mooney

Social source share

And surely the most common phrase used in Rare Soul Circles is...........

" Course I know it, I was playing it 10 years ago" ?????

I thought it was..either

"thats a bootleg mate"

or yeah "Butch has one"

or." thats not rare Ive had loads of them over the years .dont have one now likes"

haha..

Social source share

Yeah Godin deffo signed off that way - will have to check the original origin though.

I had a record called "Keep the faith" once - it was a garage type thingy mid 60s. rolleyes.gif

Mel & Tim do a glorious track called "keep the faith" on the same album that has "forever & a day" on it as well,been at work since 6am so will have to check which album later, very :unsure:

Mick

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Many African American secular phrases have their roots in the Christian (though not Catholic!) religion which they transferred to everyday usage. The fact that these expressions were very familiar to members of the black American community made it a natural occurance, just as Gospel music affected and influenced Soul music itself. The very term "Soul" music is the most obvious example in fact, with religious overtones originally.

In an article he wrote on Northern Soul in 'Voices From The Shadows' magazine, Godin himself noted how the terms that he had adopted directly from the Civil rights stuggle ("Right On!" etc.) went on to became popular on the Northern Scene and became somewhat diminished with overuse.

These expressions were not so much used in everyday conversation per.se. (I hear them used far more nowadays in fact!), but were simply another way the UK Soul scene - in the North primarily - adopted common links with what was then, a distant and somewhat "exotic" culture whose music they admired, while also forging an underground identity of it's own. Remember also that we were much closer to the idealistic 60s in 1971 than we are now, and the idea of universal "brotherhood" did not seem quite so distant!

It's perhaps worth remembering that Dave Godin's column in Blues & Soul magazine was the ONLY regular news that early rare soul fans had with what was happening on the wider scene prior to 1972 or thereabouts and was very influential as a consequence. His visits to the Wheel, Pendulum, Blackpool Mecca et.al. were faithfully reported along with the records played such as Sandi Sheldon, Jackie Lee, Bobby Hebb etc. He would regularly also print lists of "reader's faves" sounds which would include things like "The 81" and "In Orbit", and this may have been the first many younger fans had heard of these records' existence.

There were NO underground fanzines at that time (as far as I know), so Godin's fortnightly column was absolutely vital reading for "my generation". He offered much needed sympathy and support when the "rare soul" scene was under constant criticism by other Soul journalists (who sneered at it as unhealthy and elitist), or was being totally ignored by the prevailing rock music press. Consequently, the scene felt a little vunerable and under seige (as always!) and his column was one area where fans of rare soul felt completely at home. Godin never claimed to have "invented" Northern Soul as a genre, but through his column he enabled the concept and club playlists to reach a wider audience.

Incidently, I wonder how many of us had to sneakily look up the word "esoteric" in the dictionary, only to find that it perfectly described the rare soul scene as it was then? - and who could ever use the word now without evoking the memory of the late lamented Dave Godin?

RIP Dave.

Right on, Keep the Faith now.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Common term in the record bar at Stafford was "is it a dancer, Mate" to which Dim Dave(His Imperial Dimness) would leap over grab the record and dance it round on the carpet. Then return it to a startled potential buyer and say "course it is, now do you want to f*"king buy or not". Used to have Guy, Butch and Tim in stitches.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Another one I hear regularly is "Do you even know what Northern Soul is", usually when I'm djing :thumbsup:

One bright spark came up to me several months ago , and informed me " he had not paid good money to listen to this sh*t " , and he demanded that I play " real Northern soul " ......

I was playing Timi Yuro " It'll Never Be Over For Me " at the time .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

One bright spark came up to me several months ago , and informed me " he had not paid good money to listen to this sh*t " , and he demanded that I play " real Northern soul " ......

Malc Burton

Ah, there you go, that's what happens when you play a 60's record, everyone know all the real northern soul records were recorded in the early 70's. Woops wrong tread :thumbsup:

Dave T here wouldn't like Malayka to get the flack for that one

Edited by malayka
Social source share

Ah, there you go, that's what happens when you play a 60's record, everyone know all the real northern soul records were recorded in the early 70's. Woops wrong tread :)

Dave T here wouldn't like Malayka to get the flack for that one

I would not have minded if the tw*t was not one of the party who requested it ....... :thumbsup:

Common phrases used on the scene , number # 31 ......

" What you say , Keb ? " :lol:

Malc Burton

Social source share

One I've had said to me more than once recently

"Didn't you used to be Dave Thorley" :thumbsup:

Well , did you ? ...... :lol:

I have also had that said to me ......

What did they think it was - a stage name ? ........

If it was , I am sure we could have picked better ones ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Well , did you ? ...... laugh.gif

I have also had that said to me ......

What did they think it was - a stage name ? ........

If it was , I am sure we could have picked better ones ......

Malc Burton

If only we could have had stage names like current House/Hip Hop dj's do today

Here's a few

DJ Stomper

Float-on

The Wax Bomber

45 Spinner

DJ Dusty

DJ Won't Mix

Shuffle Spinner

West Soul

Social source share

Another one I hear regularly is "Do you even know what Northern Soul is", usually when I'm djing :lol:

You want to see Brett in action when somebody (as they normally do when he's on whistling.gif ), say " Will you play some Northern Soul?"

Everyone goes quiet as he growls " no, I F*****g hate Northern Soul"

Works every time for him :D

Social source share

If only we could have had stage names like current House/Hip Hop dj's do today

Here's a few

DJ Stomper

Float-on

The Wax Bomber

45 Spinner

DJ Dusty

DJ Won't Mix

Shuffle Spinner

West Soul

dj booty

dj acetate

dj styrene

Social source share

Here's a couple of current phrases for Djs

"Sorry it's a cover up" ph34r.gif

"But the last DJ just played "the chase is on" in his set :lol:

"Take that record off now you sod, that's my exclusive record and I was going to play it" :)

:D pmsl :lol:

Social source share

a common phrase in our circle these days is "whats this playing"...reply "hang on while i get me ear trumpet out"

Coz im getting as deaf as a post, too many lousey sound systems screeching out for years fooking the old lugs.

but it works when someone tells you an over inflated price on a record you just go "eh wot eh....f**k it mate dont bother I cant hear you"

Geeoooordie

Social source share

Many African American secular phrases have their roots in the Christian (though not Catholic!) religion which they transferred to everyday usage. The fact that these expressions were very familiar to members of the black American community made it a natural occurance, just as Gospel music affected and influenced Soul music itself. The very term "Soul" music is the most obvious example in fact, with religious overtones originally.

In an article he wrote on Northern Soul in 'Voices From The Shadows' magazine, Godin himself noted how the terms that he had adopted directly from the Civil rights stuggle ("Right On!" etc.) went on to became popular on the Northern Scene and became somewhat diminished with overuse.

These expressions were not so much used in everyday conversation per.se. (I hear them used far more nowadays in fact!), but were simply another way the UK Soul scene - in the North primarily - adopted common links with what was then, a distant and somewhat "exotic" culture whose music they admired, while also forging an underground identity of it's own. Remember also that we were much closer to the idealistic 60s in 1971 than we are now, and the idea of universal "brotherhood" did not seem quite so distant!

It's perhaps worth remembering that Dave Godin's column in Blues & Soul magazine was the ONLY regular news that early rare soul fans had with what was happening on the wider scene prior to 1972 or thereabouts and was very influential as a consequence. His visits to the Wheel, Pendulum, Blackpool Mecca et.al. were faithfully reported along with the records played such as Sandi Sheldon, Jackie Lee, Bobby Hebb etc. He would regularly also print lists of "reader's faves" sounds which would include things like "The 81" and "In Orbit", and this may have been the first many younger fans had heard of these records' existence.

There were NO underground fanzines at that time (as far as I know), so Godin's fortnightly column was absolutely vital reading for "my generation". He offered much needed sympathy and support when the "rare soul" scene was under constant criticism by other Soul journalists (who sneered at it as unhealthy and elitist), or was being totally ignored by the prevailing rock music press. Consequently, the scene felt a little vunerable and under seige (as always!) and his column was one area where fans of rare soul felt completely at home. Godin never claimed to have "invented" Northern Soul as a genre, but through his column he enabled the concept and club playlists to reach a wider audience.

Incidently, I wonder how many of us had to sneakily look up the word "esoteric" in the dictionary, only to find that it perfectly described the rare soul scene as it was then? - and who could ever use the word now without evoking the memory of the late lamented Dave Godin?

RIP Dave.

Right on, Keep the Faith now.

Great reply.

Dave Godin was the only outlet NS had in the early 70s.

I remember all the crap about Canvey Island, Chris Hill, the blowing of whistles at "southern soul" do's in B&S. We had 2 pages of Dave and a page of adverts. (Couldn't wait to see what the Pendelum/Catacombs/Up the Junction was playing according to the ads!)

Thats exactly how it was. We had no info on other gigs other than B&S or word of mouth. I can't recall seeing a flyer at any do from 71 to 76?

Dave kept the faith alright, but I can honestly say I never heard anyone actually say Right On or Keep the Faith to anyone elso on the scene.

Brian B

Social source share

What a brilliant post Melbrat & just about sums it all up really.

Fom Guy originnaly, then others.............. 'Wait for the Beat'

From Keb at the 100 Club.............'You's aint travelled hundreds of miles to sit on yas's arrses..............git ooop an dance' slightly more x rated but that was the gist............Excuse my appalling accent BTW..........funny thing tho', people did LOL.

Sean Chapman................'Lets 'ave ya'..........Where did that awful catch phrase come from :ohmy:

Talking about DJ monicas on the NSC the USA DJ's will usually have a 'stage' name, for example.

DJ Midnight Cowboy

DJ Agent 45

Mr Finewine

Marco Hammond

Miss Shingaling

And there are many many others on the soul & funk scenes in the US.

rUSS

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Malc Burton

Had a similar situation once, a few years ago, when DJ'ing at what I thought was a fairly enlightened gathering of non-Northern Soul types.

I'm about half way through part 1 of JB's "Cold Sweat", with a fully grooving and extremely appreciative dancefloor in front of me, when some sozzled oaf wanders up and asks me "Can't you stick some funk on, instead of this crap"? "Like what", I ask, in a reasonable if slightly incredulous tone. "I dunno mate, you ever heard of James Brown?" comes the smartarse answer...

What can you say other than 'there's always one'?...

...You are not alone, Malc.

TONE

PS - sorry, the real point of this post was to add "all known copies jump" to this list...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

...I wonder how many of us had to sneakily look up the word "esoteric" in the dictionary...

As a teenager I was interested in those "esoteric" records and "esoteric" clubs until I realised I had confused the word with "erotic".

It was an easy mistake to make.

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

The only place I regularly saw this was at the end of each and every Dave Godin Column in Blues & Soul

..and on mass produced car stickers, usually displayed by those that didn't :ohmy::sleep3::ohmy::huh:

small print: I had a few years off too...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert