Into Northern Soul But Not The Northern Soul Scene

Is there anyone on this forum or anyone other than me...? Who loves northern soul music but just doesnt understand the northern soul scene...?

Bearing in mind I discovered it in 2003 (and I live in London)! I loved the first nighter I went to...the music blew me away, the passion of the people around me - shouting out the lyrics to each record that was played, dancing as if each track meant something, clapping...it didnt matter what shape or size you were or what you wore - what a brilliant night.....

So my question is - is there anyone out there, who like me loves the music and a northen nghter (whoever the promoter may be) without getting het up about - played out oldies/modern shite/boots and reissues/fellow promoters/fellow punters/cds/drinks on dancefloor (how often does that actually happen by the way)/students/pissheads/wreckheads

Please feel free to slag me off If I've "reissued" a previous thread...

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Is there anyone on this forum or anyone other than me...? Who loves northern soul music but just doesnt understand the northern soul scene...?

Bearing in mind I discovered it in 2003 (and I live in London)! I loved the first nighter I went to...the music blew me away, the passion of the people around me - shouting out the lyrics to each record that was played, dancing as if each track meant something, clapping...it didnt matter what shape or size you were or what you wore - what a brilliant night.....

So my question is - is there anyone out there, who like me loves the music and a northen nghter (whoever the promoter may be) without getting het up about - played out oldies/modern shite/boots and reissues/fellow promoters/fellow punters/cds/drinks on dancefloor (how often does that actually happen by the way)/students/pissheads/wreckheads

No mate you're unique wink.gif

Social source share

You're not alone mate. I never understood the northern soul scene when I was on it, nor even particularly liked it much either. Always loved the music though.

Phil

Social source share

Could you please indulge the individuals name who initially interviewed you....He/She will be dealt with appropriately :lol:whistling.gif

Social source share

I think I understand where you coming from here

I love 'some' of the n s scene, dont like the 'wanabes' 'look at me Im somthing special as Im a dj!' (only some) but have met and got some great friends and have been there for me when needed. All depends on what you dont like about the scene really.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

i was talking to guy on the phone week or two ago (he supplied me with grills for my speakers :ohmy: ) the conversation got round to NS and it turns out that he used to collect northern soul but has never been in to the scene, he told me he even once appeared on radio one as a guest on a Andy Kershaw show talking about rare motown (i think)

i gave him a few email/wed sites of dealers in case he's ever interested in selling them (allthough i don't think he was that bothered), i remember thinking at the time there must be loads more like him around and about, into the music but not into the scene :lol:

Social source share

I think I understand where you coming from here

I love 'some' of the n s scene, dont like the 'wanabes' 'look at me Im somthing special as Im a dj!' (only some) but have met and got some great friends and have been there for me when needed. All depends on what you dont like about the scene really.

With you on that K :ohmy:

Just think, if it wasn't for the scene you would never of met me :lol: errrrrrrrrrr is that one of the things you don't like about the scene :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

When i used to go out (not for a few years now) it was easy, nothing to try and understand, just good music, friends, dj's and atmosphere. I'm hoping to attend some events over the coming months so i will be able to compare now and then.

What I don't understand are all the politics that seem to be smothering the scene many of which you've mentioned. It's always been simple for me ....I love the music whatever genre (mostly). But then I'm a simple kind of fella. :ohmy:

gary

Social source share

I think what you are saying is that you dont understand and dont give a shit about the scene's politics? You just love the music right?

Good :ohmy: Likewise ! :lol:

Social source share

I think all of us, or almost all of us, 'buy into' certain aspects of the scene, consciously or unconsciously. if you're not a collector then some of the more arcane stuff will inevitably leave you very cold. the politics, as it's inappropriately called, is also something that you can 'buy into'. controversy though, is never far away, as there's lots of ego massaging going on. this ego massaging has existed since the year zero. twisted wheel DJ roger eagle probably grumbled about the direction some jocks were taking the scene in 1967/8, for most of us, those early pathfinders were brave, innovative chaps who lit up the forward path, for others, they were playing sub-standard shite. debate is healthy, ramble, ramble...

to any newcomer, I'd just say go out & enjoy the music & the community that's behind it, don't get drawn into the mud-slinging, unless you feel you have to take a principled stand on some matter. let your feet do the walking, support venues & do some some hard travell­n', ´cos the beauty of this scene is that it's now well & truly international, as anybody who attended the recent valencia/hamburg all-nighters will tell you.

Social source share

With you on that K :ohmy:

Just think, if it wasn't for the scene you would never of met me :lol: errrrrrrrrrr is that one of the things you don't like about the scene :lol:

QoFxx

:hypo:

Cos not! Ive still got your bl**dy present!!! k x

Social source share

welllll i am never gonna be tired of the music but basically ive been nowhere for more than a year...odd local do and then i dont know why i bothered going out :lol: ...nothing inspires me anymore except the music and thats sad....i just hope the day i choose to go out again is gonna renew my faith in venues and the people within them...cos it used to be great and half the fun was the travelling...escapades in service stations etc...but alas i am an inate snob now where music is concerned and the venues ive been to just dont cut the mustard and if you are not enjoying yourself no matter how many mates are around you whats the point in going?......as was said politics have always been there and always will be and you know me i like a good healthy debate :ohmy:

cookie :lol:

Social source share

I love NS and always will but the actual scene I can take it or leave it.

I was out a couple of times a month from 2000 to 2005 but I've been to three soul nights in the last two years. Poor health and financial problems have contributed to that but even if I was well and had plenty of dosh I don't think I'd be going to that many dos now as I'm tired of politics and attitudes (which funnily enough have creeped into the ska and reggae scene now too!)..

Gordy

Social source share

For me personally the music comes first above the scene as such, for a few years now I have done less and less DJ'ing and gigs for one reason or another, basically now I go out when I'm kindly invited to DJ but it is no longer a weekly thing for me, other stuff to do as my boy is coming on as a Goalkeeper so that takes up a great deal of time and money I might add....lol I still have a passion for the records, music and collecting but I do that on my own terms and do it for me rather than the DJ thing if the two meet in the middle then fantastic but if not that's cool.

The scene has changed so much in recent years, too many events, too many DJ's etc. etc. the music is king nothing else.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The Northern Soul Scene is like a hop on hop off bus ride. Get out of it what you want when you want. Most members float in and out because unlike when everybody was 14/15/16 its hard to 'get about' all the time even if you wanted to due to family/commitments etc.

The music is great and almost never ending with tens of thousands of records qualifying in some way to come under the umberella of Northern Soul.

BUT........................... Its only half as good playing it at home compared to hearing a good set at a good venue with great people having a good time.

Remember the cup can be half full as well as half empty.. Get out there and get involved.

Ed

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

I think there are more of you/us than you think - the problems is (I reckon) that the Halcien days of Wigan etc won't ever be back, so it's trying to make the most of what is left (excluding the music as that has obviously stood the test of time), but through older eyes and older joints (knees etc NOT drugs), the rosey glow of youth has subsided, so you naturally get more pessemistic about life anyway.

So the scene has probably been this way for quite a few years, but it's only now that it kind of hits you, the musical snobbery and politics will always be there (which is what get's me), but so will the dancing and the general good feeling vibe that you get at a Soul Night, that's what makes it special.

I recently went around town in Scarborough and felt uneasy in most pubs as there's an under-lying tension that something was going to kick off at any minute, and as I had best Mod kit on, I had various comments about my chalk-stripe suit and loafers (which I was wearing) which ranged from "You off to a fancy dress party?" to "Are you one of them f*cking Mods then?" to "Twat, what do you think you look like?" (incidentally my reply was "a damn site better than you c*nt and I'll look even better when you are dripping with blood from a broken nose" - classy I know :lol: ).

After a couple of hours I headed to the 99 Soul Club at the Grand in Scarborough and as soon as I arrived, a complete stranger said "Wow, you look the dogs mate - nice threads", we started chatting, he bought me a drink and introduced me to his Mrs. A top night was had by all, good sets from the DJs mixing old and modern, played out and rare. I rarely left the dance floor and had a right laugh.

That's the thing that's so special about the NS scene - when was the last time you saw a ruck at an NS night?

Enjoy the music and forget the few bad bits of the scene - cos even the bad bits are better than the best bits of not being on the scene! :lol:

"Keep on keeping on" :ohmy:

Social source share

TO ME SOUL MUSIC IS A WAY OF LIFE HAS BEEN SINCE I WAS 12 YEARS OF AGE.THE NORTHERN SCENE HAS SHAPED THE WAY I HAVE VIEWED THE MUSIC ID SAY UP TO THE AGE OF ABOUT 38-39 THEN IVE JUST SAID F--K IT CANT BE ARSED WITH ALL THIS EGO FUELLED BOLLOCKS ANYMORE,IT JUST DOES NOT RESEMBLE HOW I FEEL.

IF I AM ASKED TO DJ I WILL NOW AND AGAIN[FOR LIKEMINDED PEOPLE] ,HOWEVER MY OBSESSION IS PERSONNEL OBSESSION A RELATIONSHIP I HAVE WITH THE MUSIC.THE NORTHERN SCENE USED TO BE THE DO ALL AND END ALL FOR ME NOW IT IS COLLECTING DEEP,SWEET,CROSSOVER AND THE ODD OCCASIONAL NORTHERN THING NOT A SCENE THAT PRIDES ITSELF ON RARITY AS OPPOSED TO QUALITY.

IM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE US IN 2 WEEKS BECAUSE ITS ALOT MORE STRAIGHTFORWARD OUT THERE PEOPLE THAT LOVE THE MUSIC FOR WHAT IT IS.I FEEL FORTUNATE TO IMHO BEEN PART OF THE SCENE FROM THE YEARS 1979 TO 1992 IM MY VIEW THE BEST YEARS,IN THIS TIME GREAT FUN IT WAS A SCENE THEN,NOW ITS SIMPLY IN OVERLOAD AND TO BE HONEST I CANT BE HAVING IT.

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

TO ME SOUL MUSIC IS A WAY OF LIFE HAS BEEN SINCE I WAS 12 YEARS OF AGE.THE NORTHERN SCENE HAS SHAPED THE WAY I HAVE VIEWED THE MUSIC ID SAY UP TO THE AGE OF ABOUT 38-39 THEN IVE JUST SAID F--K IT CANT BE ARSED WITH ALL THIS EGO FUELLED BOLLOCKS ANYMORE,IT JUST DOES NOT RESEMBLE HOW I FEEL.

IF I AM ASKED TO DJ I WILL NOW AND AGAIN[FOR LIKEMINDED PEOPLE] ,HOWEVER MY OBSESSION IS PERSONNEL OBSESSION A RELATIONSHIP I HAVE WITH THE MUSIC.THE NORTHERN SCENE USED TO BE THE DO ALL AND END ALL FOR ME NOW IT IS COLLECTING DEEP,SWEET,CROSSOVER AND THE ODD OCCASIONAL NORTHERN THING NOT A SCENE THAT PRIDES ITSELF ON RARITY AS OPPOSED TO QUALITY.

IM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE US IN 2 WEEKS BECAUSE ITS ALOT MORE STRAIGHTFORWARD OUT THERE PEOPLE THAT LOVE THE MUSIC FOR WHAT IT IS.I FEEL FORTUNATE TO IMHO BEEN PART OF THE SCENE FROM THE YEARS 1979 TO 1992 IM MY VIEW THE BEST YEARS,IN THIS TIME GREAT FUN IT WAS A SCENE THEN,NOW ITS SIMPLY IN OVERLOAD AND TO BE HONEST I CANT BE HAVING IT.

BAZ A

Bloody hell Baz I feel depressed now :ohmy:

Social source share

Who wouldn't be into a "That's a boot - somebody's been playing that for years - what's the matrix number? - it's too modern - you can't play that here - is it original? - the label looks dodgy to me - can I measure the runout groove? - it's a bit poppy, but good dancer - can you play Frank Wilson?" scene

What's not to like?

PS The music's good. :thumbsup:

Edited by epic
Social source share

For me personally the music comes first above the scene as such, for a few years now I have done less and less DJ'ing and gigs for one reason or another, basically now I go out when I'm kindly invited to DJ but it is no longer a weekly thing for me, other stuff to do as my boy is coming on as a Goalkeeper so that takes up a great deal of time and money I might add....lol I still have a passion for the records, music and collecting but I do that on my own terms and do it for me rather than the DJ thing if the two meet in the middle then fantastic but if not that's cool.

The scene has changed so much in recent years, too many events, too many DJ's etc. etc. the music is king nothing else.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hey Mark! Can you tell him to contact Martin Jol/ Steve McClaren a.s.a.p :thumbsup::lol::P

Social source share

The Northern Soul Scene is like a hop on hop off bus ride. Get out of it what you want when you want. Most members float in and out because unlike when everybody was 14/15/16 its hard to 'get about' all the time even if you wanted to due to family/commitments etc.

The music is great and almost never ending with tens of thousands of records qualifying in some way to come under the umberella of Northern Soul.

BUT........................... Its only half as good playing it at home compared to hearing a good set at a good venue with great people having a good time.

Remember the cup can be half full as well as half empty.. Get out there and get involved.

Ed

I agree with that :thumbsup:

I love the music and im an outgouging person that needs to be out enjoying the scene too, you cant beat a quality night of soul with friends :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I love the music and the scene and while it's true there'd be no scene without the music, the two are a package in my mind. I reckon when we have big 'debates' and heated discussions on here about oldies vs. newies, 60s vs. Modern, who ripped off whose acetate, why play boots etc.. etc... we forget that Soul Source (as much as we love it and it attracts a lot of influential people) is not the Northern Soul scene. Lets face it only a couple of hundred of us post regularly anyway.

When i go out i have a brilliant time and generally don't worry about all the issues we discuss on here. I never think 'should i be dancing to this played out oldie'? Although i might have a word or two to say about someone's spot, it won't ruin my night. Maybe it depends where you go. I very rarely come home disillusioned. It fact it feels better than ever to me. :sleep3:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I love the music and the scene and while it's true there'd be no scene without the music, the two are a package in my mind. I reckon when we have big 'debates' and heated discussions on here about oldies vs. newies, 60s vs. Modern, who ripped off whose acetate, why play boots etc.. etc... we forget that Soul Source (as much as we love it and it attracts a lot of influential people) is not the Northern Soul scene. Lets face it only a couple of hundred of us post regularly anyway.

When i go out i have a brilliant time and generally don't worry about all the issues we discuss on here. I never think 'should i be dancing to this played out oldie'? Although i might have a word or two to say about someone's spot, it won't ruin my night. Maybe it depends where you go. I very rarely come home disillusioned. It fact it feels better than ever to me. :sleep3:

Yep,your dead right ,well said ,I feel exactly the same way :ohmy:

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Spot on there Mat :ohmy:

Social source share

Social source share

You got to remember you are dealing with grumpy old men in their 40/50's if they are not moaning about this topic, it would probably be about their job, bad health, bald heads, hospitals, the need to get up and pee in the night - you get my drift?

Social source share

You got to remember you are dealing with grumpy old men in their 40/50's if they are not moaning about this topic, it would probably be about their job, bad health, bald heads, hospitals, the need to get up and pee in the night - you get my drift?

Hang on a bit..........who's been talking about me ....come on who is it laugh.gif:D:lol::D

Bazza

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

It's music for me but i always go out to places local because i or my dad don't drive so can't go too far. I just don't get politics etc and only know a few people who don't get on but i try and attend all local venues to support what we have and it pisses me off that some venues are sliding down

ie city club in Peterborough now has new promoters but didn't see many turn up for the first night with new promoters.

My dad always says if you like Northern then you would go to it providing you not else where but if your stuck at home when you could be out god help me

Social source share

Funny but my son thinks we're all a sad bunch of tired old losers :D

.....But he does like a few records like Dean Parrish, Younghearts, some Motown and most surprisingly The Royal Esquires cos he thinks it's like a drum'n bass record ohmy.gif

That being said, his musical taste does seem to follow that of whatever his current girlfriend likes.

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

CLASSIC :huh::huh::ohmy::lol::lol: Have you been talking to me and my mates wives ????? CHEEKY :lol:

Social source share

Guest realsoulfan

Your a important part of the future of the scene and like someone posted earlier they should be more like you as enjoy most things about N.Soul for the right reasons :huh:

Social source share

:Dlaugh.giflaugh.gif and the size of their prostates :wub:

prostates?

I have heard about these things, I overheard a bloke in work saying that he had his massaged ?

I know my grandad had one, cause he was always complaining about it!

What on earth are they? Where are they? And Is it just old men that have them?

Questions..........Questions...........Questions

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

prostates?

I have heard about these things, I overheard a bloke in work saying that he had his massaged ?

I know my grandad had one, cause he was always complaining about it!

What on earth are they? Where are they? And Is it just old men that have them?

Questions..........Questions...........Questions

its genetic in it :D

somethin you get when you listen to modern soul, or not enough ska & rocksteady lol biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!