Prestatyn.....record Hunting

With all the 100's of record sales boxes, and dealers decending upon Prestatyn this weekend, What record would you love to bring home with you at the end of the weekend..........

Last year I splashed out on a Pat & the Blenders..Just Because.

I would love this year to find a San Franciscan TKO's.....Bit of a long shot though I think.

What's your hope........

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

With all the 100's of record sales boxes, and dealers decending upon Prestatyn this weekend, What record would you love to bring home with you at the end of the weekend..........

I would love this year to find a San Franciscan TKO's.....Bit of a long shot though I think.

What's your hope........

link

I'd be happy just to come back alive & with my liver intact John !!

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

What's your hope........

link

Wendell Watts " you girl " or Joe Valentine "I Lost The Only Love I Ever Had " for under 300 squid ....anon anon

Social source share

Not Going but would love to come back with a copy of  Rivage

or even that tune by New Grooves on Gemini

Have agood one everyone whistling.gif

link

A mate of mine has a Rivage 45 he might part with - not sure how much. Whats it worth now ??? I sold the LP with the extended version a few weeks back for £150.

Is the Gemini thing by The New Group - Love Can't Be Modernised ??? Haven't played that in years.

Social source share

Yep i'm predictable like that - wasn't planning on spending too much this weekend but i'm sure something will take my fancy - a New World on Polydor would be nice.

link

Always so many records there........Wouldn't it be good if all the records there were catalogued, and on a database, then you could just type in what you are looking for .......would save loads of time sorting through piles of dusty old vinyl....personally I cant be AR*SEd nowadays...... whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Yep i'm predictable like that - wasn't planning on spending too much this weekend but i'm sure something will take my fancy - a New World on Polydor would be nice.

link

If i know you young Girthster the thing most likely to take your fancy is on the Jack Daniels label not Polydor whistling.gif:ohmy:

Social source share

already got a record to collect of Butch so thats in the bag so to say! I also want to come home with Demanding Man - Sensations

Social source share

One guy picked up a copy of Johnny Howard...The Chase is on..Bashie, last year for £20 !

link

That was slightly below the going rate, then, so not that remarkable. The remarkable thing is that a well known oldie has increased tenfold in price in less than a years time.

Social source share

That was slightly below the going rate, then, so not that remarkable. The remarkable thing is that a well known oldie has increased tenfold in price in less than a years time.

link

whistling.gif Yes, Demand again........ Rosebuds is another example..

Social source share

Id like to take home a Uk

copy of the Snake by Al Wison on any non original fomat

Maybe even a cd single..

But as IM not going..

I guess Im gonna be shit out of luck

the Gasher..i hope you all enjoy it some of us have

to go to FECKIN KAZAKSTAN to earn a crust.

Social source share

Guest rachel

You can often find a bargain at Prestatyn......I'm looking forward to popping into the modern room saturday night also.. :lol:

link

I'd like find as good a bargain as I did last year, Denise Lasalle - Love Reputation for a tenner (looks a bit knackered but it plays alright)... I nearly got lynched when I told everyone whistling.gif

Social source share

What's your hope........

link

I'm not saying as the price is likely to go up............... whistling.gif

Social source share

My bank manager:fool: hopes I don't come back with Sam Dees Lonely For You Baby, Rose Batiste 'I Can't Leave You', Dean Courtney LYJCWA or Cynthia and the Imaginary Three 'Thats what I am (Without You)' otherwise there no point taking them. whistling.gif

link

some nice choices luckily i already have 2 of them

mark

Social source share

some nice choices luckily i already have 2 of them

mark

link

============================================

Your right Mark nice choices,luckily I have 4 of them or I might have ended up

spending beer money on them whistling.gif

See you over the weekend Mark we,ll have a reet gud drunken natter :lol:

Social source share

Always so many records there........Wouldn't it be good if all the records there were catalogued, and on a database, then you could just type in what you are looking for .......would save loads of time sorting through piles of dusty old vinyl....personally I cant be AR*SEd nowadays...... :lol:

link

Wouldnt it be so much better if the record dealers filled thier records in alphabetical order, life would be much easier whistling.gif

Social source share

Wouldnt it be so much better if the record dealers filled thier records in alphabetical order, life would be much easier  whistling.gif

link

Maybe we could award a prize to the most organised record dealer......yes that would be fun :lol:

How could we judge it.....?

Social source share

Maybe we could award a prize to the most organised record dealer......yes that would be fun whistling.gif

link

You could give the prize to the record dealer that is the most organised?

I hardly looked through any boxes last year. I bought 2 records i think for £15 off Ben Summers, but as I spent a lot of the weekend behind his boxes it was quite easy to look through, but only looked through about 100 of them. And a few of Rob Messrs records, and thats cos he was next to Ben and it was easy.....

On late Sunday afternoon the panic set in that I hadnt looked through any boxes or bought much i walked upto a box arm out stretched and ready to start looking... but I got there and just couldnt be arsed...

Social source share

Approx 1500 records in the sales boxes this weekend......

Sorted into styles and then sorted into order of price.

Cant see the point in looking at £100+ rarities when you've only got twenty quid in your pocket.

Best thing to do is ask dealers if theyve got the record you are looking for, or give them a wants list....

Worked for KarenC at Sheridans just over a week ago.

WOOF!

Social source share

link

Was totally forgotten about, never heard anywhere till Butch started spinning it again, demand soared then whistling.gif

Social source share

Best thing to do is ask dealers if theyve got the record you are looking for, or give them a wants list....

Worked for KarenC at Sheridans just over a week ago.

WOOF!

link

Yes and it was easy and painless whistling.gif

Social source share

Was totally forgotten about, never heard anywhere till Butch started spinning it again, demand soared then  whistling.gif

link

Totally forgotten is slightly exaggerated I think Chalky. After all this was played quite a bit in the 70's (both Torch and Wigan I think?) and was popular enough to get booted for the UK market + it is a relatively common record on a well known label. Overall a pretty well known oldie, albeit not played much in recent years perhaps (though it must surely have been getting spins at oldies events? Perhaps oldies events is the place to look for 'new' sounds?!) It's a good record, but just one of many good oldies that are not (or were not) played much. If anything it just proves how superficial a lot of people's knowledge really is and how little variation there often is in what is played.

Social source share

Totally forgotten is slightly exaggerated I think Chalky. After all this was played quite a bit in the 70's (both Torch and Wigan I think?) and was popular enough to get booted for the UK market + it is a relatively common record on a well known label. Overall a pretty well known oldie, albeit not played much in recent years perhaps (though it must surely have been getting spins at oldies events? Perhaps oldies events is the place to look for 'new' sounds?!) It's a good record, but just one of many good oldies that are not (or were not) played much. If anything it just proves how superficial a lot of people's knowledge really is and how little variation there often is in what is played.

link

I agree,hyped up crap!,how much the boot now?green fuckin`ugly thing,heard this in the old days loads.Ken

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Its a great record....p*** off Ken. We will have a shandy or two in Wales mate and I will convince you it is! remember to bring the 3 45s with you from the 100 club mate.

shane

Social source share

Paulette - Love You Babe

please pleaase please whistling.gif:lol:

btw are the dealers there Thursday night???

link

Well we picked ours up unexpectedly at Golborne.

Now should I tell you how it fell into my hands or will that just be too much.

Minnie Jones was the icing on the cake at last years Prestatyn, within 5 mins of Col paying for it someone was offering him more for it.

Gaye

Social source share

Maybe we could award a prize to the most organised record dealer......yes that would be fun whistling.gif

link

---------------------------------

Got to be Bob Hindsley. All the labels on the sleeves match the records and the writings good enough to read even in the darkest room.

Gaye

Social source share

Totally forgotten is slightly exaggerated I think Chalky. After all this was played quite a bit in the 70's (both Torch and Wigan I think?) and was popular enough to get booted for the UK market + it is a relatively common record on a well known label. Overall a pretty well known oldie, albeit not played much in recent years perhaps (though it must surely have been getting spins at oldies events? Perhaps oldies events is the place to look for 'new' sounds?!)

link

Forgotten is the correct word if you were around in the 70's and then a big gap before going to soul nights etc again.

you can forget about most oldies events as being the place to look for anything other than the same stuff week in week out. In the UK, or the area of the UK I live in anyway. Is it different in Europe?

Gaye

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I like the dealers who file their records in label order.

As I am collecting a label I can just go to the section in the box I'm looking for and see if they have any tracks I need.

Unfortunately very few do this now, so I end up trawling thru loads of records, probably get tempted when boredom sets in to compromise, buy something I wasnt really after, then see about a dozen on the label I'm after, when I have no money left.

whistling.gif

Social source share

My thought was that since there seems to be several scenes within the scene so to say and many on this forum do not go to the strictly oldies events, but rather events that play the currently 'approved' (I always wondered, approved by who?)oldies, the current/recent biggies and so on, maybe there is a chance that some strictly-oldies-nostalgia-revival-this or that might have played a lot of old tracks that are not to be heard at the other type of event? There seems to be a myriad of various clubs and nighters throughout the UK and many of them are dedicated oldies and classic northern nights as I understand it so it can't all be the Constellations, Seven Souls, Tangeers, Brown Sugar, Five Royales, Charles Sheffield, Blue Jays, Joanne Courcey, Troy Dodds, Gayle Adams, Big Daddy Rogers, Dynells, etc. can it?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I like the dealers who file their records in label order.

As I am collecting a label I can just go to the section in the box I'm looking for and see if they have any tracks I need.

Unfortunately very few do this now, so I end up trawling thru loads of records, probably get tempted when boredom sets in to compromise, buy something I wasnt really after, then see about a dozen on the label I'm after, when I have no money left.

:P

link

Yes that's a BUMM*ER when that happens...... :thumbsup: Maybe stop looking after your money has ran out, then you won't be dissapointed... whistling.gif

Social source share

link

It's been getting spins at SITC on & off for the last 3 years by me so not totally forgotten down this neck of the woods. Off home now get me records for sitc tonight, then off to prestatyn tomorrow, see some of you there !

Dave G

Social source share

It's been getting spins at SITC on & off for the last 3 years by me so not totally forgotten down this neck of the woods. Off home now get me records for sitc tonight, then off to prestatyn tomorrow, see some of you there !

Dave G

link

Have a good one guys, I am snowed in today so wont be at sitc afterall

Social source share

so it can't all be the Constellations, Seven Souls, Tangeers, Brown Sugar, Five Royales, Charles Sheffield, Blue Jays, Joanne Courcey, Troy Dodds, Gayle Adams, Big Daddy Rogers, Dynells, etc. can it?

link

Ohh yesss it can!!!

Social source share

Constellations, Seven Souls, Tangeers, Brown Sugar, Five Royales, Charles Sheffield, Blue Jays, Joanne Courcey, Troy Dodds, Gayle Adams, Big Daddy Rogers, Dynells, etc. can it?

link

I Like the ones on Bold but not the others........ whistling.gif

Social source share

Didn't I see you dancing to Big Daddy Rogers at Soulsville John ?

link

Maybe you did, but maybe you didn't.. :thumbsup: I flogged mine about 18 months ago.......Just got bored with it, you know how life is :P

In Fact if I remember right I traded it for Bob Collins..My one and only girl...Mainline. Now there's a record whistling.gif

Unlucky last night by the way.....( FA cup ) :D

Social source share

Ok, so here is an idea, what if someone got hold of a chalkboard like the one in the pic'. and put it on a long pole. you could pay say £1 to have the record you are looking for chalked onto the board, It then could be paraded around the record area, and all the dealers could see it, and if they had it they shout up. The £1 donation could go to charity......Just an idea. whistling.gif

Edited by johnmay
Social source share

Its a great record....p*** off Ken. We will have a shandy or two in Wales mate and I will convince you it is!  remember to bring the 3 45s with you from the 100 club mate.

shane

link

Thanx for reminder,will fetch em`,only thing that will convince me is one for £20,no chance of that,ever? see you weekend.Ken :ok:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!