Soul @ The Mill, Rayleigh, Essex, Saturday Nov 3rd

Saxafone

A bit earlier than we intended hitting the forum for our opening night, however in response to a couple of calls asking if we've changed dates. I thought I'd better make clear that there are 2 Soul @ the Mills.

We have a namesake in Lancashire that have a charity night listed on events for this coming Saturday. All the best to our Lancashire twins and hope they make bundles of wonga.

Our Rayleigh event stays as listed on Saturday Nov 3rd. For our launch night we have also adopted a charity and we've already raised over £500 with donations from companies including London Metal Exchange, Jayroma and Selfridges.

Thanks to everyone that has encouraged, helped and supported us in getting this off the ground, we're almost there ! See you at the (Southern) Mill on the 3rd.

Taff

Edited by Saxafone
  • Replies 56
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Our Rayleigh event stays as listed on Saturday Nov 3rd. For our launch night we have also adopted a charity and we've already raised over £500 with donations from companies including London Metal Exchange, Jayroma and Selfridges.

Taff

£600+ now and still counting thumbsup.gif

We're up and running for the opening night of Soul @ The Mill in Rayleigh, Essex on Saturday November 3rd. With Shifty, Paul McKay, Stubbsy and Jon Downs doing the business in a fantastic venue, it's going to be a night to remember.

Thanks to everyone who has supported and encouraged us to get this off the ground, we're going to make sure we pay you back with interest.

We've created a bit of a stir locally in this soul starved end of the planet - the Southend Echo even did a piece on us yesterday. Soul? (of the Northern sort) ? In Rayleigh ? Ohhh Yes !

It'll be even bigger news on November 4th !

Taff

We're up and running for the opening night of Soul @ The Mill in Rayleigh, Essex on Saturday November 3rd. With Shifty, Paul McKay, Stubbsy and Jon Downs doing the business in a fantastic venue, it's going to be a night to remember.

Thanks to everyone who has supported and encouraged us to get this off the ground, we're going to make sure we pay you back with interest.

We've created a bit of a stir locally in this soul starved end of the planet - the Southend Echo even did a piece on us yesterday. Soul? (of the Northern sort) ? In Rayleigh ? Ohhh Yes !

It'll be even bigger news on November 4th !

Taff

Is the article any bigger in the paper than the Echo's web pages as Jon told me that he was expecting a photographer also. If so can you scan it and post it up.

Are there any good (cheap) Hotels close to the venue?

Is the article any bigger in the paper than the Echo's web pages as Jon told me that he was expecting a photographer also. If so can you scan it and post it up.

I'll try again, keep on getting the message "total operator stupidity" from my scanner !

We had brought Suzanne along to prevent readers getting the impression that it was a Chelmsford Prison, lifers wing reunion. The photographer managed to crop Sue, Jon and Martin out tho !

I'll PM ya on Hotels, though I hear Jon does a mean full english !!!

Taff

post-2792-1192404378_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saxafone

Hi Martin,

unfortunately our cars full for trip from shenfield to the Mill (and back) but should be able to find you a bed for the night (and maybe brekkie if your lucky)...

cheers

Jon

I'll try again, keep on getting the message "total operator stupidity" from my scanner !

We had brought Suzanne along to prevent readers getting the impression that it was a Chelmsford Prison, lifers wing reunion. The photographer managed to crop Sue, Jon and Martin out tho !

I'll PM ya on Hotels, though I hear Jon does a mean full english !!!

Taff

Hmmm I see they chose the "best" photograph of the dozen or so they took :lol:

Oh borox :lol:

Im away that blimmen weekend :lol: , Im gutted i cant be there on your openeing night but i wish you all the best of luck and hope its a success for you all and hopefully see you all soon :thumbsup:

Bearsy

Oh borox :hypo:

Im away that blimmen weekend :P , Im gutted i cant be there on your openeing night but i wish you all the best of luck and hope its a success for you all and hopefully see you all soon :lol:

Bearsy

That's a shame thmbdn.gif any of the other Medway boys planning on making the trip across ?

That's a shame thmbdn.gif any of the other Medway boys planning on making the trip across ?

I dont know John, a few of us are going to Hemsby and its been booked for a year and like the 100 club anniversary i didnt realise until the last minute as im not very good with dates :lol: have you any flyers made up if so and you send me some i will put them out for you on Saturday and give you a big mention over the mic too :P

when is your next date as i have got to get myself a diary or something as im really useless at times you know :hypo:

I dont know John, a few of us are going to Hemsby and its been booked for a year and like the 100 club anniversary i didnt realise until the last minute as im not very good with dates :yes: have you any flyers made up if so and you send me some i will put them out for you on Saturday and give you a big mention over the mic too :)

when is your next date as i have got to get myself a diary or something as im really useless at times you know :lol:

Bearsy, Thanks for your very kind offer :(

I've attached a scan of the flyer.

Next date scheduled for 16 February (2008). Get yourself a diary mate :lol:

post-7914-1192535817_thumb.jpg

Martin - looks like there's room in the car for you after all.. just sent you an e-mail

Will Pete and his missus be attending?

cheers

Jon

gonna try to get over to this later in the year , when they take my tags of me and allow me that strange land once again !!

Steve T "WALES"

PS MARTIN DO`ES HAYDEN GET A CAKE SAT?? PHANTOM FLAN SLINGER STYLE ? :thumbup:

it will be great to see you down here for a change steve;as for a cake on sat he doesnt know it but hes on a diet rolleyes.gif

All i can say is thank god there is a great event to go to without having to do all of the work. anyone who loves soul and has got any sense will surely come, looking forward to the third. best of luck it is bound to be a success!!

All i can say is thank god there is a great event to go to without having to do all of the work. anyone who loves soul and has got any sense will surely come, looking forward to the third. best of luck it is bound to be a success!!

hi taff,

i can have a rest now, and now you know what its like to do all the work, or did you get martin and co to do all the work while you were posing for photographs?

hi taff,

i can have a rest now, and now you know what its like to do all the work, or did you get martin and co to do all the work while you were posing for photographs?

Karen, not only are the Papperazzi after us, we've got Essex FM on our case now. Whozz going on at Rayleigh wiv this soul business ? Is this proper soul like Donna Summer and stuff ? erm no !

I would respond to your question about Martin doing all the work but I'm too busy teaching my goldfish to ride a bike !

See you at the Mill, Taff

'TheUpsetter' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:07 AM' post='606214']

just back safe and sound from amlwch and starting getting things sorted for this great night in essex :lol:

Yep, I can confirm it's all go with the Upsetter, there's no stopping that boy ! Go to Gatwick, Go on plane, Go to Tenerife !!!! I'm sure he's taken some flyers with him though!

With £650+ already trousered in aid of O.P.A. our adopted charity, we've already trashed our fundraising target. All that's left to be done is to have the mother of all parties on Saturday the 3rd.

Our 4 Vendors of Vinyl - Shifty, Paul McKay, John Stubbs & Jon Downs are all psyched up and raring to go. They're on a mission to deliver 100% Quality Soul that's dance floor friendly and nothing less - come and join them on our opening night at this fantastic venue.

Taff

Looks like Helen may have inveigled a donation out of her company too Taff! Fingers crossed!

Brilliant news Paul & big thanks to Helen for applying on behalf of OPA! :lol:

With Kate Burrell who many on here will know as one of the promoters of the recent series of Chelmsford charity nights, again laid low and probably unable to join us on the 3rd, it's a great way of showing support for one of our own.

Kate made sure that those Chelmsford nights were real party nights - we'll have to make sure we keep up the standards.

Taff

We seem to have stirred up a shed load of interest over here in our soul deprived corner of Essex, getting plenty of calls from folk asking about the night and trying to book advance tickets. Our advice is get there early and you'll be fine. Even had a couple of calls about dress code, I think Ady's 100 club advice on that subject is the best, just wear some !

Taff

post-2792-1193499966.gif

Edited by Saxafone

Steve, postcode is SS6 7ED. Take the Rayleigh turn off the A127, first exit on the roundabout (A129) then follow road into Rayleigh high street. Bellingham Lane is a left turn near the end of the high street (by the town clock).

There's a map/directions on the website - click on the link below..

Cheers

Jon

Steve, postcode is SS6 7ED. Take the Rayleigh turn off the A127, first exit on the roundabout (A129) then follow road into Rayleigh high street. Bellingham Lane is a left turn near the end of the high street (by the town clock).

There's a map/directions on the website - click on the link below..

Cheers

Jon

Thanks Jon. I shall be down for this. :lol:

Apologies to all who sent texts or left voice messages over the weekend asking for details. I had a bit of a disorientated dimwit phase on saturday ( beer.gif:lol::lol: = wacko.gif ) and managed to put my phone on silent. I think I've now got back to everyone who left a message.

The number of calls suggests we are going to have a great turn out for our opening night. Thanks to all who have said they are coming over to join us. I'm sure you'll agree that the venue and line up are the business !

Taff

How far is the station from venue ?

Dave, I'm sure we can find you a berth for the night !

On condition you don't do your sweeney impersonation and burst into my room in the middle of the night !!!!!! :( wtf ?

Also if you click on our website below, you'll find all manner of useful links including train times, local directions, weather forecast, pictures of the queen mother etc etc

Taff

Edited by Saxafone

Dave, I'm sure we can find you a berth for the night !

On condition you don't do your sweeney impersonation and burst into my room in the middle of the night !!!!!! :( wtf ?

Also if you click on our website below, you'll find all manner of useful links including train times, local directions, weather forecast, pictures of the queen mother etc etc

Taff

Dave, if all else fails there's a very nice bench by the bus shelter, just a short way from the kebab shop.

laugh.gif

Guest soulmanherts

well me and deb are coming too from eastbourne, and sounds like its going to be a good one..look forward too it...call you before saturday john...rob

Dave, if all else fails there's a very nice bench by the bus shelter, just a short way from the kebab shop.

:lol:

After the kebab I had in Amlwch mate I will be steering well clear of any kebab shops for the next 15 years.

Gotta get home saturday night so if anybody is driving back to central London or even better South East London or even better still Greenwich :huh: please get in touch

Having thought it was originally a wind up (Mr Stubbs or McKay with nothing better to do ) I have just put the phone down on a very nice man from BBC Radio Essex.

Seems we really have created a stir in this neck of the woods with this strange music of ours. They want to interview us live on Saturday afternoon and play a few choons as well. sweatingbullets.gif

Last time I was interviewed the opening line was "anything you say may be taken down and used in evidence" - I'll have to get out of the "no comment" response on this one though.

So at 13:45 on Saturday, BBC Radio Essex goes totally Northern, that has to be a first !!!!!

(That's also got to be worth an entry in the "strange places I heard Northern soul" thread)

A nice touch there from the BBC, the word's clearly getting out.

Taff

well me and deb are coming too from eastbourne, and sounds like its going to be a good one..look forward too it...call you before saturday john...rob

Nice to know we're being supported by "old" friends from distant places, (Sussex & Herts), :thumbsup:

despite some sniping from closer to home :lol:

Be great to see everyone, (old and new) Saturday. Nervous anticipation now setting in :D

Guest glocky478

Nice to know we're being supported by "old" friends from distant places, (Sussex & Herts), :)

despite some sniping from closer to home :lol:

Be great to see everyone, (old and new) Saturday. Nervous anticipation now setting in :huh:

LOOKING FORWARD TO SATURDAY, JOHN.

SEE YOU THERE

DAVE GLOCK :D

This better be good. I'm sneaking off early from a wedding to be there.

Jon, I'd like Clarence Hill to be playing as I burst through the doors in my morning suit.

Sean

Sean, burst through the doors in your birthday suit and we'll play it twice !!!! :lol:

Taff

IF I BURST THROUGH THE DOORS IN MY BIRHDAY SUIT AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, I'D EXPECT TO HEAR THE JORDAN BROTHERS...IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

SEAN

Guest James Trouble

Sorry I won't be able to be there guys, with it being local and all, but international soul playboy duties are calling elsewhere. Good luck and have fun! :lol:

Source Advert