Newly Cut Acetates

• Replies 52
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Defo! If a few more venues had CD decks as well there would be no need to cut the acetates :-)

link

A record is a record - a cd is a cd - there's no comparison....even one of those horrible 70's and 80's style plastic injection-moulded label 45's is better than a cd, aesthetically I mean

Social source share

Guest dodger

Whats the verdict on DJ's playing newly cut acetates from unreleased tracks on CD, should it be allowed whistling.gif

link

Allowed by who???

Roger

Social source share

Well without stirring it up, i've seen first hand use of this by some well known DJ's, who by the way will remain nameless whistling.gif

link

Why not name them, I hate it when people are prepared to say something but not name names, why bother saying it in the first place?

Social source share

Well Karen as i've already stated, i've no intention of stirring it up, just telling the truth

link

Thats as may be but it seems pointless to me to say something unless you are prepared to back it up with names, not being funny or anything but I don't see the point of mentioning it in the first place

Social source share

Thats as may be but it seems pointless to me to say something unless you are prepared to back it up with names, not being funny or anything but I don't see the point of mentioning it in the first place

link

Just trying to get the point over that one, I do not have a problem with it and two, it does happen, but has only started recently, sorry if i've upset you not naming but i'm sure our dj friends out there know who i'm talking about, in any case i'm not gonna be dragged into a war of words with you on it i just want people to air their thoughts whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

link

Soul Sam has done it for years with newer release tracks yet he'll see fit to kick off in print about people playing from CDR's. Always puzzled me, that one.

This is a bollocks argument now and it always has been for the 25 million times it's been massdebated. Whichever side you're on you'll never change your opinion and view of it and it'll always be an argument between those with common sense and a perception of reality and those who say it's only originals that should be played. whistling.gif:lol:

Cheers

Roger

Social source share

Just trying to get the point over that one, I do not have a problem with it and two, it does happen, but has only started recently, sorry if i've upset you not naming but i'm sure our dj friends out there know who i'm talking about, in any case i'm not gonna be dragged into a war of words with you on it i just want people to air their thoughts :lol:

link

As I get the blame for everything else that goes on, you might as well name me as one of the people, I can take it whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

well as long as no legit studio acetate exists then go for it ...i done it myself a couple of weeks ago with tammi terrell and i have no fear in naming myself so there

Davie

Social source share

I really have no side in this, just reading the thread, not that bothered myself, I just don't like threads of any sort where people say things like 'big name DJ's' etc.. without saying who whistling.gif

Best get back to the sensible side now :lol:

Social source share

Allowed by who???

Roger

link

Roger,

You mean you don't know? Why the Soul police of course!

You know the ones that no f*** all and started watching horror movies at 3 years old.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Roger,

You mean you don't know? Why the Soul police of course!

You know the ones that no f*** all and started watching horror movies at 3 years old.

link

i don't get the relevance kev whistling.gif with the horror thing

Davie

Social source share

A record is a record - a cd is a cd - there's no comparison....even one of those horrible 70's and 80's style plastic injection-moulded label 45's is better than a cd, aesthetically I mean

link

:lol: Agree with you Pete - sexy black vinyl for me everytime, preferably in the form of a tight dress and thigh boots and on the missus whistling.gif No, if it's not available on vinyl then a CD is fine, doesn't look as sexy but it's the music that is all important.

Edited by TheBigO
Social source share

If you hold the opinion that only The original record will do and playing CDRs is a no no then you carnt go around playing bootleg records even if you are Soul Sam

why not play the orignal CD ??

Acetates are for us mere mortals who like a record and cannot strech to buying originals They are for playing at home not for a DJ to play out. If a DJ aint got it or carnt afford it then hey theres no shame in that. If acetates are OK then why are boots not ??

Social source share

but it's the music that is all important.

At last a voice of reason whistling.gif

Pete

link

If its only the music why dont we all go to a venue and jut listen to some hired dj playing cds its the same sound coming out the speakers, No theres more to it then that, the fact that a dj has spent hard earned cash to obtain there records, record collectons take years to accumalte , the knowledge it takes to get a box full of originals to play all adds to it

Social source share

If acetates are OK then why are boots not ??

link

Because the simple reason that if a record is unissued and exists on studio tape only then the only way you are gonna get to hear it is via CD or a cut.

Boot legs usually exist on an origianl 45 or original studio acetate etc etc ...........

Social source share

Whats the verdict on DJ's playing newly cut acetates from unreleased tracks on CD, should it be allowed :lol:

link

If its unreleased. Yes imo. I know Ady doesnt have a problem for unissued stuff out on Kent cd's to be cut - long as he hasnt/or had a single planned of it whistling.gif

Social source share

If its unreleased. Yes imo. I know Ady doesnt have a problem for unissued stuff out on Kent cd's to be cut - long as he hasnt/or had a single planned of it  :lol:

link

===========

ive got quite a few acetates

mainly stuff that i cant get or are out of my price range...

i play them when i want but theres lots i havent played out but a few i would if i was asked to

if u cant beat em join em ....... whistling.gif

Social source share

If it's an unreleased track don't see why not (as long as they seek permission from the cd producer IMHO), how else you supposed to hear it played out.

link

Exactly right, wise words from Chalky. If a dj goes to the vault and discovers something original - master tape etc. Cut's an acetate, with permission. that's 'our' discovery and has every right to be played. Was Melba Moore's Magic touch ever issued? Can't recall.

Social source share

why go to all the hassle of cutting a emidisc - all decent venues should have a cd player wired into the mixer anyway

Social source share

Well without stirring it up, i've seen first hand use of this by some well known DJ's, who by the way will remain nameless whistling.gif

link

Like Sam you mean - I always remember him burning a cut off the Corey Glover album and and sticking a label on it? Whats the point - the lads were playing it at Arties Mill for eons on CD before his illateral thinking kicked in

Social source share

why go to all the hassle of cutting a emidisc - all decent venues should have a cd player wired into the mixer anyway

link

As Pete-S said earlier - asthetics. Cd's smacks a bit chancer-ish. Wandering around on the stage witha 7" vinyl disc - nicely reassuring ... whistling.gif

Social source share

Nice to pretend that you have got a rare record, just to keep up appearances.......

WOOF!

link

Yeah to some degree. Depends on what's said, "ere we go with an unissued masterpiece".... Honest. To say nothing? Thats another matter whistling.gif

Social source share

....surely there is enough authentic original releases to go through?

Whether it's a monster rarity or a £5 tune.

Can't really see the difference between a pressing or an acetate, whether it's unreleased or not.

Like having a photocopy of a penny black stamp.....or a photocopy of the original artwork for the Penny Black, that was discarded in favour of the one used.

Still only photocopies...... :lol:

Bit deep that, even for me.....think I need my bed.... whistling.gif

Regards,

Mace.

Social source share

....surely there is enough authentic original releases to go through?

Whether it's a monster rarity or a £5 tune.

Can't really see the difference between a pressing or an acetate, whether it's unreleased or not.

Like having a photocopy of a penny black stamp.....or a photocopy of the original artwork for the Penny Black, that was discarded in favour of the one used.

Still only photocopies...... :lol:

Bit deep that, even for me.....think I need my bed.... whistling.gif

Regards,

Mace.

link

Ha ha, class :) Time to turn, indeed. Do think the dj playing the unissued acetate is exciting and indeed - all part of it .

Social source share

link

Whats with all the ninjas and "remain nameless" bits ??

If a dj plays a dub of a unreleased cd only track out and about, then they're not really trying that hard to hide the fact they are playing it are they, be a bit hard as doing it in public eh ??

They must have no problem with doing it, so why try and make it into some big secret "no names" thing, if they wanted it a secret then they wouldnt have played it would they ?

You say have no problem with it and dont wanna stir, but way you posted and made it out to be some big thing, you doing just that

Social source share

:lol: Agree with you Pete - sexy black vinyl for me everytime, preferably in the form of a tight dress and thigh boots and on the missus whistling.gif No, if it's not available on vinyl then a CD is fine, doesn't look as sexy but it's the music that is all important.

link

I really can't get my head around accepting C.D's.......I kind of understand where your coming from but, maybe i'm a dinosaur, it's got to be vinyl for me, I would never knowingly attend a venue that plays c.d's. however I do realise that not everyone is of the same opinion.

Social source share

I think the difference between a boot and an acetate is that an acetate is a little more personal. You choose "your" tracks for "your" disc. Seems abnormal, but most soul DJ's & collecters ain't normal. Some things are just ritualistic, even if it seems backward or even plain retarded, it gives you a good feeling. Just draw your own line, and let others make theirs. Life's pretty simple when you just worry about yourself....really! whistling.gif

Social source share

Because the simple reason that if a record is unissued and exists on studio tape only then the only way you are gonna get to hear it is via CD or a cut. 

Boot legs usually exist on an origianl 45 or original studio acetate etc etc ...........

link

A boots a boot what ever name you call it

As a matter of intrest how many records are on a master tape only? If they are on tape only why not get them on a legal release so some one gets the royalties, there is plenty of record comps that do this legaly so the cost would not be astronomical , you just need the will to do it

Social source share

Whats with all the ninjas and "remain nameless" bits ??

If a dj plays a dub of a unreleased cd only track out and about, then they're not really trying that hard to hide the fact they are playing it are they, be a bit hard as doing it in public  eh ??

They must  have no problem with doing it, so why try and make it into some big secret "no names"  thing, if they wanted it a secret then they wouldnt have played it would they ?

You say have no problem with it  and dont wanna stir, but way you posted and made it out to be some big thing, you doing just that

link

No not really Mike, I honestly thought that some of the people who replied were taken aback with me saying that i'd seen dj's playing them, ain't no big thing to me, sorry if came out that way, really wish i'd stuck in at school ect ect

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!