Entertainers - I'm In Love With You

Stubbsy

on HMC 3991 - Charlotte, North Carolina label

different version of the Bobby Patterson song.

Great record, got one last week thumbup.gif

anybody know any more about this one i.e.?

Year of release? (someone suggested it might be an 80's record)

Is it the same Entertainers who recorded in the 60's, (i.e did "Love In My Heart" -another great record on Symbol)?

What's a current realistic value for one?

I think I may have paid a little over the odds as since acquiring it I've had one dealer telling me shouldn't be paying more than £30, as it turned up in quantities a few years ago. Don't care though, just had to have it, you know how it is yes.gif

Edited by Stubbsy
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

on HMC 3991 - Charlotte, North Carolina label

different version of the Bobby Patterson song.

Great record, got one last week thumbup.gif

anybody know any more about this one i.e.?

Year of release? (someone suggested it might be an 80's record)

Is it the same Entertainers who recorded in the 60's, (i.e did "Love In My Heart" -another great record on Symbol)?

What's a current realistic value for one?

I think I may have paid a little over the odds as since acquiring it I've had one dealer telling me shouldn't be paying more than £30, as it turned up in quantities a few years ago. Don't care though, just had to have it, you know how it is yes.gif

It's a great song and their version is a good one in my opoinion. There are two variations on the label. One has a smaller font than the other as far as the HMC letters are concerned. Not to sure whether the smaller font label ones are a repro of the large one but literally hundreds turned up about 8/9 years ago from the Carolinas. I was offered a box of 100 at a record show in Tampa. If they got this far south then it's a fair bet everyone got them.

The Bobby Patterson also came out twice, once on regular black vinyl and once with yellow wax. Strange thing about Bobby's Jet Star stuff eh. All on both colored waxes. No red, blue or green, just yellow. Think he had a 'thing' for the color?

Social source share

I was plugging the Bobby Patterson "I'm In Love With You" on Action late 70's and into the early 80's at Clifton Hall & Cleethorpes. After much perseverance (it wasn't quite what the allnighter 'scene' had been used to) it became a Biggie and a bit of an anthem for me at the time.

Soon after (at Cleethorpes) Robin or Adam (or both) started playing the Entertainers version. At the time it was a pretty new release (Recorded for the Beach scene) but I would have said it was a year or two earlier than '85.

Either way, Bobby Patterson nicks it for me!

:rolleyes:

Sean

Social source share

hiya stubbsy

done a bit of investigation on this, looks like there were 2 issues..

1st issue - HMC 3991 juke box logo released 1985

2nd issue - HMC 3991 3 letter scroll logo capital blue/white..

according to JM's 4th edition price guide- 1st issue £75, 2nd issue £50

atb

Jon

Excellent info, didn't know it had came out twice!

Social source share

I was plugging the Bobby Patterson "I'm In Love With You" on Action late 70's and into the early 80's at Clifton Hall & Cleethorpes. After much perseverance (it wasn't quite what the allnighter 'scene' had been used to) it became a Biggie and a bit of an anthem for me at the time.

Soon after (at Cleethorpes) Robin or Adam (or both) started playing the Entertainers version. At the time it was a pretty new release (Recorded for the Beach scene) but I would have said it was a year or two earlier than '85.

Either way, Bobby Patterson nicks it for me!

:unsure:

Sean

Yes Sean, me and Ady Connolly from Derby were in a shop in Myrtle Beach in '83 when it arrived as a New Release. We got a handful and brought one back for Sam as well.

Social source share

Yes indeed Simon. I bought a copy from Ian Clark when this was a big sound. It was a whopping £15! I was still at school at the time and I think it was the first record that smashed the ten-quid barrier for me.

One of those records that sounds great in a club, but which sadly underperforms at home. The mild-mannered showband-type backing and transparently weedy vocals seemed genuinely awful once compared to the Bobby Patterson version which I picked up (far cheaper) a few months later.

I kept The Entertainers version for a good few years, though, and only sold it once the second release (different logo etc. as stated above) began to appear. I was fortunate enough to swap it for a lovely mint copy of Jaibi on Kapp, so the story has a happy ending.

Social source share

entertainers' versions' close harmonies at the end win it for me, delightful record, although, nowt wrong with bobby p's version, i must say i sold my bobby patterson when i got the entertainers because it was getting a better reaction at the venues i played it at.

Social source share

Yes indeed Simon. I bought a copy from Ian Clark when this was a big sound. It was a whopping £15! I was still at school at the time and I think it was the first record that smashed the ten-quid barrier for me.

I think Clarkie played this more than most shades.gif , I bought mine off him , along with Bessie Banks Marva Hicks and a Chuck strong 12 after much haggling , during one of Keb Darges early 60's newies spots :wicked: ahh the memory does work sometimes

Social source share

Great record,

First heard it played by Bob Jones on his Saturday afternoon show on the old Solar Radio back in the pirate days certainly 82-83.

I had a tape of that show for ages, then lost the bloody thing when I moved out of me mum's.

Bought it when it was a "Front page focus" on Soulbowl's list, think it cost £10.

B side is a goodie as well "Hot on a Thang" which is a cover of a Chi Lites album track, can't remember which one tho' but it's got "Try my side of love" on it.

Wonder if me mum know's where that tape is?

John.

See you in Dublin for Sleepless nights, John.

Edited by Jonno
Social source share

I thought the two issues were due to different pressing plants? I prefer the scroll design, though

Its from 83, along with the self titled LP which seems to go for more than the 7" :lol: .....

I like both, but in different ways and I think they both due justice the George Jackson song.

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!