• Replies 55
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Richard Bergman

Here a cheapie for you, The Lovelites...My Conscience...Lovelite.  Still less than £15, and Top Notch Quality IMO. Just came today.......Thank you Postie whistling.gif

link

Excellent choice John , Matt B played it at the Ducie all dayer sounds great and readily availiable :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest martyn

Here a cheapie for you, The Lovelites...My Conscience...Lovelite.  Still less than £15, and Top Notch Quality IMO. Just came today.......Thank you Postie whistling.gif

link

Agree Johnnice sound :thumbsup: but doesn't Patti look like James Brown :P

Social source share

Excellent  choice John , Matt B played it at the Ducie all dayer sounds great and readily availiable  whistling.gif

link

Yes I remember, I think I was stood beind the decks when you played it, hope too here more it now :thumbsup:

Agree Johnnice sound :D   but doesn't Patti look like James Brown :D

link

:P:D:D

Social source share

link

Another great choice John. What about Bumpy Road Ahead by them. Cheap as well

Steve

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Why aren't there more labels with the picture of the artists on , it would clear up alot of the arguements re: ethnic origin !

I can only think of the Enchantments who also use this type of layout -

Social source share

Why aren't there more labels with the picture of the artists on , it would clear up alot of the arguements re: ethnic origin !

link

JJ Caillier

Social source share

link

Now you've got me thinking........labels with artists pics on whistling.gif Brains gone dead :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not a label, but didn't the Isley Brothers bring out an album, that had two white people on the front, so it didnt offend middle America?

I seem to remember I have an oldie by a female artist, with a picture of her(?) on the label.

Its a red label and she is in profile looking left, but she is on the right hand side of the label.

Was an oldie in the late 70s, when i bought it.

Mind has gone a total balnk.

Social source share

link

I've seen other records on that label with pics of the artists on - last one was Little Ray I think. All the acts appear to be hispanic.

Social source share

Not a label, but didn't the Isley Brothers bring out an album, that had two white people on the front, so it didnt offend middle America?

link

Thats the This Old Heart Of Mine album. Several of the Motown albums have covers like that or cartoons or no pictures at all, just so they don't have to show black people. Remember the cover to the Jr Walker album Roadrunner? Motown said this was because a lot of shops wouldn't stock them if they'd had the artists on the front.

Social source share

I seem to remember I have an oldie by a female artist, with a picture of her(?) on the label.

Its a red label and she is in profile looking left, but she is on the right hand side of the label.

Was an oldie in the late 70s, when i bought it.

Mind has gone a total balnk.

link

Almost all of the Isleys UK Tamla releases I think, also a Chuck Jackson UK release, had nice white blondes on cover! Assume it was more prominent in the 60's in UK due to demographics of time,

Anyone confirm/debate!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Almost all of the Isleys UK Tamla releases I think, also a Chuck Jackson UK release, had nice white blondes on cover! Assume it was more prominent in the 60's in UK due to demographics of time,

Anyone confirm/debate!

Cheers

Jock

link

I already did, further up the page ph34r.gif

Social source share

Here a cheapie for you, The Lovelites...My Conscience...Lovelite.  Still less than £15, and Top Notch Quality IMO. Just came today.......Thank you Postie ph34r.gif

link

Turns up a lot on Ebay Very cheep

Social source share

link

Also produced by Johnny Cameron:(and also covered by the Lovelites)

Keanya Collins "Barnabas Collins-Love Bandit" on Keanya

Social source share

I remember that record being massive about 1979, never seems to have done the rounds again.......

link

You have to go back a bit further mate, it was massive in 74-75 and actually pressed on Soul Galore in 75...remember a lad at our youth club having that with Hot Line on an emidisc. One of my all time hate records ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Also produced by Johnny Cameron:(and also covered by the Lovelites)

Keanya Collins "Barnabas Collins-Love Bandit" on Keanya

link

Thats the fella!!! I was trying to remember.

Probably got the description of the label totally wrong, as usual.

Cheers Tony, i'll let Jet buy you a pint for me at the weekend ph34r.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

Thats the fella!!! I was trying to remember.

Probably got the description of the label totally wrong, as usual.

Yes, Label is blue, centre hole is where Keanyas' nose should be!

Cheers Tony, i'll let Jet buy you a pint for me at the weekend  ph34r.gif   :thumbsup:

link

I'll hold you to that :P

Social source share

Here a cheapie for you, The Lovelites...My Conscience...Lovelite.  Still less than £15, and Top Notch Quality IMO. Just came today.......Thank you Postie ph34r.gif

link

Super stuff John, had it for a couple of years now, a real spine-tingler, it features Denice Williams of "Free" fame on lead vocal :thumbsup:

Social source share

Richard posted this weeks ago….

‘Matt B playlist just in from some government hideout in Leeds -

The Centre Stage - Are You There? - RCA

Love Potion - This Love - Kapp

Linda Griner - Goodbye Cruel Love – Motown

The Lovelites - My Conscience – Lovelite’

I vaguely remember no-one (aside from Brett and Orton) gave a rats ass about this record when we played it at the alldayer. Pity us ‘yoof’ aren’t able to add anything of our own to the ‘enviable’, backslapping, Northern DJ clique yet. I guess we’ve hair to lose and ego’s yet to massage.

A stunning record that you’d be mad to pay over £12 for. If you spend £20 you need your head seeing to. Mine cost me 75p trade, so that shows you how much the dealers are making at a tenner… Let’s hope it doesn’t become another Deep Dark Secret, because if we’re honest with ourselves, it’s a far superior record.

I’ve seen people trying to sell battered copies at £20. Shame really. ‘I’m your conscience’ and all that. Some people just won’t learn…..

Social source share

Richard posted this weeks ago....

'Matt B playlist just in from some government hideout in Leeds -

The Lovelites - My Conscience - Lovelite'

I vaguely remember no-one (aside from Brett and Orton) gave a rats ass about this record when we played it at the alldayer.

link

Very harsh. I remember when no-one gave a rats ass about it when I reviewed it in my own magazine over 10 years ago and included it on one of the tapes. It all goes round in circles Matt!

Social source share

link

Interestingly enough my copy of the Lovelites doesn't have the pictures on, just "Lovelite Records" in big letters across the top. My first thought was that mine's probably a boot but on closer inspection it has the tall characters ZTSC stamp which as I understand it is a sign of legitimacy - so official second issue perhaps?

Also, I wonder if the reason it's underrated/often turning up for sale is that people buy it thinking it's "Get It Off..." and on finding it's not put it straight up for sale again?

Edited by soulAdequate
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Interestingly enough my copy of the Lovelites doesn't have the pictures on, just "Lovelite Records" in big letters across the top. My first thought was that mine's probably a boot but on closer inspection it has the tall characters ZTSC stamp which as I understand it is a sign of legitimacy - so official second issue perhaps?

Also, I wonder if the reason it's underrated/often turning up for sale is that people buy it thinking it's "Get It Off..." and on finding it's not put it straight up for sale again?

link

Neil are you getting this confused with "Get It Off My Consience" also on Lovelite 1500 but a totally different record ph34r.gif:thumbsup:

And Matt really it's been around for years mate sometimes things get lost in playlists :P

Social source share

'Very harsh. I remember when no-one gave a rats ass about it when I reviewed it in my own magazine over 10 years ago and included it on one of the tapes. It all goes round in circles Matt!'

Totally understand Pete. Though in my defence I was only 16 ten years ago! I didn't claim that I was the first person ever to play it. Indeed, the last person I heard play it was Lenny Dopson at Cleethorpes last year in one of the most creative and enlightening spots I've ever heard. Much more interesting than most big name DJ's. Also the first time I heard The Love Potion/Joytones.

My point was, to paraphrase you, that I restarted the 'circle' weeks back and no-one gave a badgers. Instead choosing to wank each other off, mostly over outplayed, expensive records. That Chi-Chi track Orton spun deserves a good mention an' all.

Social source share

Neil are you getting this confused with "Get It Off My Consience" also on Lovelite 1500 but a totally different record  ph34r.gif   :thumbsup:

And Matt really it's been around for years mate sometimes things get lost in playlists  :P

link

Yes, I know it's a totally different record - what I was wondering is that perhaps not everyone does and buy the one thinking it's the other.

My "My Conscience" is LLR-01/ZTSC-142276. I haven't got "Get It Off My Conscience" - how much does that go for these days?

Social source share

'Very harsh. I remember when no-one gave a rats ass about it when I reviewed it in my own magazine over 10 years ago and included it on one of the tapes.  It all goes round in circles Matt!'

Totally understand Pete. Though in my defence I was only 16 ten years ago! I didn't claim that I was the first person ever to play it. Indeed, the last person I heard play it was Lenny Dopson at Cleethorpes last year in one of the most creative and enlightening spots I've ever heard. Much more interesting than most big name DJ's. Also the first time I heard The Love Potion/Joytones.

My point was, to paraphrase you, that I restarted the 'circle' weeks back and no-one gave a badgers. Instead choosing to wank each other off, mostly over outplayed, expensive records. That Chi-Chi track Orton spun deserves a good mention an' all.

link

I see loads of records mentioned on here and I think to myself, I bet they wouldn't have heard that unless I'd taped it for them years ago, except hundreds more people must be thinking exactly the same thing themselves, there was such a huge swapping network 15-20 years ago. I remember a couple of British things that went massive which I featured, Timi Yuro and Ketty Lester, but although I mentioned them nobody would remember the names of the people who first found them, in fact if I remember rightly it was Mick Boland who found Ketty lester, and then of course every record I ever reviewed was "originally played at the Torch just once then forgotten"...or so I was reliably informed.

There's a couple of records I reviewed that I don't think I ever uncovered, one that I remember was a fantastic midtempo soul track on the reggae label High Note by First Generation called Give Him Up or Give It Up. It was on the back of a single by Dave Barker. I must have stuck that on a tape but sadly can't find a trace of it now.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I had the same reaction when I announced on KTF that I liked "Wear your natural baby"

Whassamarrer with you people  :D

link

:thumbsup::P:D:D:D:D

Fairplay Pete both great records ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest rachel

That Chi-Chi track Orton spun deserves a good mention an' all.

link

Lovely lovely tune - first heard this on a CD done by someone on this forum which they gave me at Prestatyn last year, only recently managed to get a copy.

Social source share

That Chi-Chi track Orton spun deserves a good mention an' all.

link

What a track, remember Joe Orton playing that to me at Little Stevies flat, last summer when it was full of Swedish and British soul "Hounds"........still can't recall the title, though Rich has told me a 100 times. (by the way Rich, i'll bring Margie Joseph with me to Prestatyn)

Social source share

What a track, remember Joe Orton playing that to me at Little Stevies flat, last summer when it was full of Swedish and British soul "Hounds"........still can't recall the title, though Rich has told me a 100 times. (by the way Rich, i'll bring Margie Joseph with me to Prestatyn)

link

Is it the one on Kapp - something like If You're Gonna Love Me? Beat ballad thing..

Social source share

Is it the one on Kapp - something like If You're Gonna Love Me?  Beat ballad thing..

link

To be honest Pete, i really can't remember, think we need Joe Orton to confirm title............

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

It's either that or Just Let It Happen also on Kapp.

link

yeah "just let it happen", a real builder and fantastic string laden track , my word Kapp have wonderful producers dont they ?

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest rachel

Just Let It Happen. I put it on a tape for Mr Orton not knowing he had it, to which he exclaimed "you've got Chi-Chi!". I thought he was accusing me of having some sort of tropical disease whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!