Kent 25th Anniversary Do

Guest TONY ROUNCE

A ONCE IN A LIFETIME EVENT thumbup.gif

JUST BACK IN STAFFORD FROM A MAD WEEKEND IN THE BIG CITY!

KEEP RE- LIVING THE MOMENTS ON ME VID-CAM!!! wow

ALL THE ACTS WERE SUPERB!!

BUT MARY LOVE DID IT FORT ME AWESOME!!

NEVER FOR GET WINFIELD PARKER GIVING MARIA O THE EYE! MAGIC STUFF!! :thumbsup:

WELL DONE ADY C AND TEAM FOR A TRULY MAGNIFICENT LIVE EVENT!!

NIGE B

• Replies 94
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest tony wildman

:thumbsup:

You did great Jackie, there were so many shrinking violets around that Maxine nearly had to turn round to no dancers until you volunteered and Will and Ben got told. I'm sure someone out there must have snapped it, my son would love a copy too if anyone has one of him and his mate.

cheers and thanks again for that once in a lifetime chance. i noticed a a guy filming it in the sound/lighting box, will we be able to buy a copy ????????????????????? please let me know as we definatley want one. tony stood next to a proper photographer at the front of the stage this guy took loads of photo's and is meant to be contacting us, so i,ll ask if he has any of your lovely son and his friend , poor things they were crapping themselves but they did a good job, he'l make you pay for making him do that i bet, cheers again great night.

jackie wildman

Keep pinching myself to see if it was all a dream :thumbsup:

QoFxx

No it wasn't Chrissie - nor was the bit where I was being rude ohmy.gif I blame it all on the boooooooze :D

I've posted up a few pix, and you are in a couple of them....nothing like Rimmer or Chalky's David Bailey efforts, just a flew blurry images (including a couple of the dancefloor for those that were enquiring about that).....these are the ones where I got the camera the right way round..... :lol:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...&album=1393

Steve

Guest tony wildman

someone said the flickr link I've used wasn't working so give this one a try HERE

hi wicked photos, did you happen to get any of the 3 people that danced with maxine brown. i,m 1 of them and desperate for any photo to prove to the kids what their mad mum did, ady's son was another and we are desperate for proof that we really danced with the great lady herself. thanks jackie wildman

:D

hi wicked photos, did you happen to get any of the 3 people that danced with maxine brown. i,m 1 of them and desperate for any photo to prove to the kids what their mad mum did, ady's son was another and we are desperate for proof that we really danced with the great lady herself. thanks jackie wildman

sorry I didn't, unfortunately I'd packed the camera away by then :thumbsup: I was thirsty and headed for the bar ph34r.gif

Edited by chalky

amazing night..........i was quite tired and emotional at the end !

i reckon one of these a year wouldnt be to much

cheers to everyone concerned :D

yep any more emotinal and we would have both fallen down. no seriously to mirror the previous comments on here what a great night. the artists were fantastic, the venue great, the organisation superb & great company for the weekend. after a somewhat chaotic trip up from south wales we arrived mid winfield and wow what a voice. the night just got better and better with the highlight for me be maxine doing "one in a million". i have spent 15 years brainwashing (sorry converting) my wife into the scene and all she could say was "WOW". A massive thanks to Ady and all concerned with the event it was truely memorable. :thumbsup:

thumbup.gif

big big thanks

Huw

Well what a great night The Venue, The Acts, The Crowd,The Bar :D , all in all a perfect night out, well worth the journey down We both had brilliant time :rolleyes::hypo: Thank you Ady & Kent for a truely memorable event.

Think the cha cha was down to too much boogie juice :D Karen you'll need your steel toe cap shoes on to dance with Steve next week :( Only joking Steve you are Cheshunts answer to Brendan Cole :g:

Louise & Dave

No it wasn't Chrissie - nor was the bit where I was being rude :rolleyes: I blame it all on the boooooooze :hypo:

I've posted up a few pix, and you are in a couple of them....nothing like Rimmer or Chalky's David Bailey efforts, just a flew blurry images (including a couple of the dancefloor for those that were enquiring about that).....these are the ones where I got the camera the right way round..... :(

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...&album=1393

Steve

Oh I do hate it when you paparzzi follow me everywhere :g:

QoFxx

:rolleyes: what a night great great, really enjoyed ourselves danced non-stop . great venue great people and great artist's. well done to ady and his gang for making it happen all the hard work sweat and tears really paid off.

one person was missing that was randy couzens whose memory was in our minds when maxine brown walked on, his mate, he would have been proud she mentioned him and his family, what a set she did and i would like to thank ady for giving me the chance to dance on stage with randy and my husband's favourite singer, what a treat that was, thanks a bundle ady.

Jackie & Tony wildman :hypo:

Randy will never be missing, he will always he there - whereever Maxine is, it was nice that she remembered me and she looks and sounds better than ever. What a lovely lady she is.

Guest andyrattigan

Absolute cracking night! My only criticism is it didn't go on allnight. Great to see all the artists in the flesh and get their photos. Highlights for me were Winfield Parker and Maxine Brown but enjoyed all the acts.

Well done Ady and Kent on a great party. Happy 25th Birthday. Thanks for all the great albums and CD's that introduced me to the sublime world of Soul music. I haven't been right since :rolleyes:

Me and one of my mates used to travel to Dublin from the wild west of Ireland to get our hands on Kent albums. When we would get home and put the needle on the record it was like being transcended into another realm. I still get that feeling 16 years later listening to this wonderful music we all share.

Bloody great venue as well would be great to have an allnighter there.

Thanks for all the great comments and sentiments and I agree it was a truly great night.

It's been just about the toughest period of my life work-wise and if I looked a bit distant on Friday night, it was because I was still working up to 1.45, dealing with an event like that was new territory for me.

I think we had about 1500 people through the doors including guests and though it was a big success all round it was totally Kent's backing that made it possible. All the directors and staff supported me and the project completely, through some bleak moments as well as good. My immediate boss Roger Armstrong was responsible for the initial idea, gave me lots of good advice and stuck his neck out and put his company's finances on the line. One of the most gratifying moments for me was seeing him grinning from ear to ear over the whole thing. In fact there was a lot of that going on, from my 16 year old son and his mate who ended up on stage with Maxine (not nepotism, everyone else nearby bottled it!) to 60 year old stalwarts of the soul scene who remembered the original 60s revues and compared this one more than favourably. Neil Scapelhorn Ace's press person put in a lot of hard productive work and Yvette Deroy who ran the Kent stall contributed immensely too.

The acts really excelled and pulled together, they didn't even ask where they were on the bill until rehearsals and were all happy with being vital parts of the show. Winfield Parker was a slight gamble in that I'd never met him or heard him sing but Tommy assured me he was good and how right he was. Professional, energetic, cool and talented about sums him up and the clothes he wore to rehearsal were as stylish as the suit he was sporting on stage.

Mary has always been dear to mine and Kent fans' hearts since she sang track 1 on Kent 001 and every time I hear that opening drum roll and beautifully sung "You" I get goose bumps. She was the star act at the first Cleethorpes Weekender and sang at Ace's 25th and the Jazz cafe celebrations for us too. Every time she's on stage her church singing and love of her music gives us a memorable performance and her rendition of Randy's favourite I'm In Your Hands was just perfect.

The Flirtations not only provided glamour with a capital Wow, but also showed they can sing their socks off, as well as shimmy their butts off. Their UK Deram tracks in particular sounded at least as good as most songs cut in the States at that time and were full of soul. They brought along Jimmy James, Carl Douglas and a whole UK soul entourage too. Linda Lewis turned up as well and got to talk with Mary about them both cutting Bitter Into Sweet as their first records.

Tommy Hunt looked resplendent and sang beautifully, particularly on his great ballads which is always the sign of a class singer. Lover was a treat for me, having originally unearthed it and his charm and enjoyment of the occasion won the crowd over effortlessly.

Maxine has been the patron saint of the 6TS Rhythm & Soul club since 1979 and her presence is always an honour and a treat for us. This time though she really surpassed herself and I believe it was her greatest performance, if not ever, then certainly since she came back into our lives in the 90s. Utterly prepared and professional, she combined that with her natural singing talent and a great stage presence. Every move was for a purpose and I really felt we were in the presence of a great star.

The acts all got on like they were the best of friends and enjoyed every minute of their stay. They were knocked out by the audiences support, knowledge and love for them.

I eventually got to DJ for the last 15 minutes after original 6TS DJs Tony Rounce and Roger Stewart had kept the dancefloor buzzing to the end, my thanks to them and MC Eddie Pillar who was called upon at very short notice and did a great job for us. Like the acts, I too was so pleased with the fantastic turn out and the sea of faces of soul friends and family that filled that huge, noble venue up. People had made a lot of sacrifices and effort to get to a do that could only go on until 2 am an expensive affair, but that made the previous months of work totally worth-while. Even though it's going to be a long time before anyone tries something on that scale again, at least we know we can now at least consider it.

Ady, any chance of bringing the whole shebang Down Under ?

Think a world wide tour of the show would be a winner .... France , Germany , Japan, then on to Australia ?

A catalyst for renewed interest around the world for Soul Music ?

Guest Andy Kempster

thanks to everyone invovled

absolutley and positively the best soul do i have ever been to in my life

i think i can vouvh for lauren, dave and carol on that one as well

long live kent records

NEVER FOR GET WINFIELD PARKER GIVING MARIA O THE EYE! MAGIC STUFF!! wink.gif

This is true and all part of the act I'm sure - but glad I had a witness to my thrill (then horror when I thought he'd read my naughty mind :lol: )

...although you were standing right next to me Nige and looking pretty damn cute :lol:

m

Just like to add my thanks to the long list.

Well worth the trip over from Ireland.

All acts were excellent, tough to call my fav track of the night, but if pushed I'd have to go for Mary Love's 'Baby I'll Come'.

Well done Ady and all involved. Don't know if a lot of us (or the artists)will be alive for the 50th, so any chance of a 30th???

Martin.

Magical night.

All the acts were great, but Mary Love doing Baby I'll Come was worth the entrance fee alone.

The backing bands were superb and seemed to be really enjoying themselves as well :lol:

Massive thanks to Ady and the Kent crew.

I'd have to agree, Liza and me got there just in time, we may have missed Winfield, but her extra long rendition of the song was highlight for us...

I had a great birthday bash (Birthday was on Sat but this was my night out!) Met up with loads of our friends, Simon, Paul, Maria and Arthur(fleetingly) Liza even bumped into one of our oldest friends Tina Wilks :lol: who we had not seen since 2003!!

Funniest thing was having been promised an Orange by Roger Stewart, I eventually track him down at the Decks! and you could not get near the buggar, thats money of records on Friday Roger!!!

Many thanks to Ady and co............

Mal.C.

yep any more emotinal and we would have both fallen down. no seriously to mirror the previous comments on here what a great night. the artists were fantastic, the venue great, the organisation superb & great company for the weekend. after a somewhat chaotic trip up from south wales we arrived mid winfield and wow what a voice. the night just got better and better with the highlight for me be maxine doing "one in a million". i have spent 15 years brainwashing (sorry converting) my wife into the scene and all she could say was "WOW". A massive thanks to Ady and all concerned with the event it was truely memorable. :thumbsup:

big big thanks

Huw

within all chaos there is order ! :D

anyways we got there :D

Guest Goldwax

Hi there,

Does anyone know if the t-shirts that were on sale on the night are still available and if so where?

Thanks,

Helen

XXXXXX

I called Ace earlier this week and yes, both the Goldwax and the Mirwood are available to order - call Kent / Bus Stop to buy. They are also selling the posters. thumbsup.gif

Guest outonthefloor

I called Ace earlier this week and yes, both the Goldwax and the Mirwood are available to order - call Kent / Bus Stop to buy. They are also selling the posters. :ohmy:

Thanks for that Ill let me m8 know :lol:

Helen

XXXX

This is how the Grauniad reported it !!!! Nigh on choked on my Vodka Museli and Kronenbourg organic yoghurt when I read it over breakfast.

The reporter was on our table and seemed to be having a "jolly" time, maybe got the hump coz every time she went for a wazz we updated her notes (I seem to remember scrawling "I thoroughly recommend Soul at The Mill to all our readers" ) :no:

Grauniad Article (That's a link but doesn't show up - just click)

Taff

Edited by Saxafone

It's pretty disheartening when you get a review like that when you weren't at all expecting it. Absolutely everybody from every possible different scene said it was a brilliant night. Nobody mentioned the band's performance which is a compliment in its own way. One person wasn't happy with the PA but this has come as a real sickener, particularly as I read the Guardian avidly (though I think this is off their website?).

The main thing was everyone else enjoyed it immensely, it's just a pisser that the one who didn't worked for my national newspaper.

Guest Andy Kempster

This is how the Grauniad reported it !!!! Nigh on choked on my Vodka Museli and Kronenbourg organic yoghurt when I read it over breakfast.

The reporter was on our table and seemed to be having a "jolly" time, maybe got the hump coz every time she went for a wazz we updated her notes (I seem to remember scrawling "I thoroughly recommend Soul at The Mill to all our readers" ) :huh:

Grauniad Article (That's a link but doesn't show up - just click)

Taff

so who is this betty clarke anyway, surely not at the same night as me.

charming the way she gets to slate a good night to the whole world and no chance of a reply

burn the witch burn the witch burn the witch

Guest EType69

It's pretty disheartening when you get a review like that when you weren't at all expecting it. Absolutely everybody from every possible different scene said it was a brilliant night. Nobody mentioned the band's performance which is a compliment in its own way. One person wasn't happy with the PA but this has come as a real sickener, particularly as I read the Guardian avidly (though I think this is off their website?).

The main thing was everyone else enjoyed it immensely, it's just a pisser that the one who didn't worked for my national newspaper.

Just read it.............. proof that the only accurate reporting from the UKs most unpatriotic daily is in

the top right hand corner. :huh:

Guest James Trouble

I think she was wrong not to mention what a fantastic party it was, but as a review of the live acts I'm afraid I agree with a couple of her points Ady. The band were not amazing, maybe even poor in places, but they did the job, and were better than anything that's been rolled out at a weekender in recent years. And she was right about the "It Takes Two" at the end, which wasn't a great touch, BUT to focus on those things when the party as a whole was quite simply awesome, was wrong.

The only way the 'scene' is going to get live acts right is when someone finally has the vision to put Sharon Jones and Daptone on at huge weekender like Prestatyn. I've said it before, once you've experienced the best working soul band on the planet, possibly ever, it's very hard to understand why the soul scene doesn't embrace them with open arms...

They'll be on MTV cribs, and pimp my ride soon playing soul on everyone's TVs and mixing with Amy Winehouse at after awards MTV partys, so I don't think we'll get a chance...

Failing Daptone it has to be the Timmion boys. Maybe worth anyone wanting to book a band at a weekender contacting them as I'm sure they'd be interested and would provide authentic, edgy and natural backing to the live singers without relying on soulless drummers reading 'beats' from sheet music and unresponsive musicians doing soul by numbers...

But yeah, she was a silly girl not to mention what a fantastic party it was and what a grand celebration of Kent's achievements ove rthe years. I don't think many people will read her review anyway will they? Just a few folk who were there maybe who may look on this site and may have googled it? And everyone who was there must have had an amazing time so probably disagree with her anyway?

Don't worry too much about it Ady, I've not spoken to anyone who didn't think it's was an awesome event, many folk saying it's the best event they've been to, ever...

Edited by James Trouble

Ady, looks like all you've got to do to get Ms Clarke on board is book Bjork for our next party and hold it in a field full of mud - nuff said !

Betty Clarke Review - Bjork (another link that doesn't show correctly - just click)

I know where I'd rather be !!!

Taff

p.s. change your paper !

Edited by Saxafone

Failing Daptone it has to be the Timmion boys. Maybe worth anyone wanting to book a band at a weekender contacting them as I'm sure they'd be interested and would provide authentic, edgy and natural backing to the live singers without relying on soulless drummers reading 'beats' from sheet music and unresponsive musicians doing soul by numbers...

I was lucky enough to see Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings last year. Sensational and what a band. No doodling just straight a ahead funk and soul. Bought the new album two weeks ago and played Tell Me at Vegas last weekend. It's funky soul at its best.

Earlier this year I saw Fred Wesley, John Jabo Starks, Clyde stubblefield and Bernie Worrell on the Saturday and on Sunday i caught The Soul Investigators. Same reaction both nights . The hair went up on the back of my neck. I have seen Booker T and The MGs with The Mar Keys and the Finnish guys were up there. Ray tipped me off to Perfect Kind of Love as a great NS track.

Felonious

I think she was wrong not to mention what a fantastic party it was, but as a review of the live acts I'm afraid I agree with a couple of her points Ady. The band were not amazing, maybe even poor in places, but they did the job, and were better than anything that's been rolled out at a weekender in recent years. And she was right about the "It Takes Two" at the end, which wasn't a great touch, BUT to focus on those things when the party as a whole was quite simply awesome, was wrong.

The only way the 'scene' is going to get live acts right is when someone finally has the vision to put Sharon Jones and Daptone on at huge weekender like Prestatyn. I've said it before, once you've experienced the best working soul band on the planet, possibly ever, it's very hard to understand why the soul scene doesn't embrace them with open arms...

They'll be on MTV cribs, and pimp my ride soon playing soul on everyone's TVs and mixing with Amy Winehouse at after awards MTV partys, so I don't think we'll get a chance...

But yeah, she was a silly girl not to mention what a fantastic party it was and what a grand celebration of Kent's achievements ove rthe years. I don't think many people will read her review anyway will they? Just a few folk who were there maybe who may look on this site and may have googled it? And everyone who was there must have had an amazing time so probably disagree with her anyway?

Don't worry too much about it Ady, I've not spoken to anyone who didn't think it's was an awesome event, many folk saying it's the best event they've been to, ever...

If Sharon Jones is as good live as her albums are, then bring her on!!!!!!

It's simply not worth getting wound up by some "Fresh with a University degree in Journalism, got a job at the Grauniad" staffer.

She's probably deaf anyway :thumbsup:

I very much doubt if Betty Clark will still be reviewing gigs when she gets to the age of the acts that appeared on the night.

The bands were absolutely great, Little Girl Lost had all the extras, it was the mixing desk that was out I am sure the Flirtations had the wrong microphones.

Don't think you can really compare an 8 piece band to the Wand Orchestra.