Guest Pete Bennett

• Replies 56
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Not really released Shute, just on the demos...all issues have the correct title. Soz, don't mean to be picky :thumbsup:

you're right there Pete, did mean to say that Rules of Love was a demo only, but would it be nice to stumble across an issue of this.... well we can only dream I suppose lolololo

also if I remember right, weren't the Volcanos also the Moods on Wand ????? remember something about this from years back can anyone confirm this or is this just another speculation.

Edited by shute
Social source share

you're right there Pete, did mean to say that Rules of Love was a demo only, but would it be nice to stumble across an issue of this.... well we can only dream I suppose lolololo

also if I remember right, weren't the Volcanos also the Moods on Wand ????? remember something about this from years back can anyone confirm this or is this just another speculation.

could be wrong but was it not the trammps.

Social source share

cheers pete,learn something every day.

There are WDs or "Rules" and "Laws". I have a "Rules" with it crossed out and the word "Laws" written in.

Yes, these boys became the Moods, and later the Trammps. What a shame we can't see em over here, they could mix some of their northern with some Philly :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Pete Bennett

There are WDs or "Rules" and "Laws". I have a "Rules" with it crossed out and the word "Laws" written in.

Yes, these boys became the Moods, and later the Trammps. What a shame we can't see em over here, they could mix some of their northern with some Philly ohmy.gif

I've got a light blue copy on vinyl with insrtro on the flid....very little intro groove......

l

still ok?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

and the Moods as well mate

Both the Trammps and the Moods had some members in common with the Volcanoes, but they were not the same groups. The great drummer Earl Young (who was in all three at one time or another) confirmed this to me years ago.

Social source share

Both the Trammps and the Moods had some members in common with the Volcanoes, but they were not the same groups. The great drummer Earl Young (who was in all three at one time or another) confirmed this to me years ago.

This is true of many groups though Tony who changed personnel over the years.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This is true of many groups though Tony who changed personnel over the years.

Yes, but these are actually three different groups, with one or two members common to each - they're not the same group in the way that, say the Temptations always were, whoever was in the group.

Based on that logic, Little Anthony and The Imperials became the O'Jays because Sammy Strain left one to join the other...

Social source share

Philadelphia soul quintet the Volcanos formed in 1964, originally teaming lead vocalist Gene Jones, vocalist Steve Kelly, guitarist Stanley Wade, his bassist brother Harold "Doc" Wade, keyboardist John Hart, and drummer Earl Young. According to e-zine Funky 16 Corners, within months of their formation the group signed to the local Arctic label, and as the year drew to a close issued their debut single, "Baby," the lone ballad in the Volcanos canon. (The flipside, "Make Your Move," would appear on no less than three of their nine total singles). In mid-1965 the Volcanos returned with their biggest hit, "Storm Warning" -- a showcase for Jones' soaring falsetto, the single reached Number 33 on the national R&B charts and remains a Northern soul favorite to this day. Future Philly soul legends Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff composed the follow-up, the upbeat stomper "Help Wanted," and the Volcanos closed out the year with the Motown-inspired "(It's Against) The Laws of Love," another classic given new life on the Northern Soul circuit. They did not release their next Arctic effort, "A Lady's Man," until the following summer; the single failed to return the group to the charts, and after one last entry for the label, the Eddie Holman-penned "You're Number 1," Arctic terminated their contract. The Volcanos then landed with the Harthon imprint for two superb 1967 singles: "It's Gotta Be a False Alarm" and "Take Me Back Again." Jones left the group sometime in 1968, rechristening himself Gene Faith and beginning a solo career on the Virtue label. In 1970, he resurrected the Volcanos moniker for one last single, "No Trespassing" -- by that time, the original lineup had long since dissolved, with the brothers, Harold and Stanley Wade going on to found the Trammps, the band best-known for its classic "Disco Inferno." ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

Disco's most soulful vocal group began in the '60s as the Volcanos, and were also called the Moods. Gene Faith was the original lead vocalist, with Earl Young, Jimmy Ellis, guitarist Dennis Harris, keyboardist Ron Kersey, organist John Hart, bassist Stanley Wade, and drummer Michael Thomas. But by the time they'd gone through various identities and emerged as the Trammps in the mid-'70s, the lineup featured lead vocalist Ellis, Norman Harris, and Stanley Wade, Robert Upchurch and Young. A snappy revival of Judy Garland's '40s tune "Zing Went the Strings of My Heart" was their first chart single, reaching number 17 on the R&B list in 1972. Despite their well-deserved reputation and boisterous, jubilant harmonies and sound, the Trammps were never a huge commercial success even during disco's heyday. Indeed, they had only three R&B Top Ten hits from 1972 through 1978, and such wonderful records as "Soul Bones," "Ninety-Nine and a Half," and "I Feel Like I've Been Livin' (On the Dark Side of the Moon)" stiffed on the charts though they were beloved by club audiences and R&B fans alike. Their only huge hit was "Disco Inferno" in 1977, which was a number nine R&B single in 1977 and was also featured on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Yet it missed the pop Top Ten, peaking at number 11. But the Trammps' prowess can't be measured by chart popularity; Ellis' booming, joyous vocals brilliantly championed the celebratory fervor and atmosphere that made disco both loved and hated among music fans. ~ Ron Wynn, All Music Guide
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...all of which bears out what I said, I think - execpt that Ron Wynn, like so many AMG contributors, is wrong, as Jimmy Ellis was never in the Volcanoes, and Gene Faith was never in the Moods.

:lol:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Plot thickens. I've also got an original Rules Of Love version one sided demo and the run off stamps and markings are identical to the blue copy and to the white reissue!

On popsike there are two "first issues" both with very pale blue back grounds but one has the name of tune and group is much darker blue printing than other. CLICK HERE

Social source share

Plot thickens. I've also got an original Rules Of Love version one sided demo and the run off stamps and markings are identical to the blue copy and to the white reissue!

Pete, check the other thread, I know that It may sound like a fishermans tale.

but I can assure you that It actually happened.

Social source share

The only difference between the 2 laws of love is that 1 looks as though it's faded in sunlight, the scratchings in the deadwax are almost the same except for a very tiny 'IT' on it's side just before 'A VOL 5 A'. This is missing from both B sides, and from the A (vocal) of the paler laws of love issue.

post-1408-1194908418_thumb.jpg

post-1408-1194908508_thumb.jpg

Social source share

The only difference between the 2 laws of love is that 1 looks as though it's faded in sunlight, the scratchings in the deadwax are almost the same except for a very tiny 'IT' on it's side just before 'A VOL 5 A'. This is missing from both B sides, and from the A (vocal) of the paler laws of love issue.

That is very interesting. How do you know that the "IT" mark is on the original and not the 70s repress?

Social source share

That is very interesting. How do you know that the "IT" mark is on the original and not the 70s repress?

What I tried to say is the IT mark is present on the sky blue issue as opposed to the paler issue. The scratchings look as they were done by the same hand on both, so I'm not totally convinced the pale one is a reissue. Storm Warning on the sky blue does not have the IT, neither does my sky blue issue of Barbara Mason Bobby Is My Baby. :lol:

Social source share

What I tried to say is the IT mark is present on the sky blue issue as opposed to the paler issue. The scratchings look as they were done by the same hand on both, so I'm not totally convinced the pale one is a reissue. Storm Warning on the sky blue does not have the IT, neither does my sky blue issue of Barbara Mason Bobby Is My Baby. :lol:

Sorry, I miss-read your ealier post. You think that the "IT" mark is on the repress. How do we know there was a repress? The label colours may just be the ink running low on the label print runs.

Social source share

Sorry, I miss-read your ealier post. You think that the "IT" mark is on the repress. How do we know there was a repress? The label colours may just be the ink running low on the label print runs.

Sorry mate, another miss-read, I never said or suggested which I thought was original or which was reissue. I think you could be right with the ink level thing and personally I think both are original, till someone proves otherwise. The sky blue with the IT mark was bought as an original from gold soul and I believe it to be out of Kev Roberts DJ box.

Social source share

Sorry mate, another miss-read, I never said or suggested which I thought was original or which was reissue. I think you could be right with the ink level thing and personally I think both are original, till someone proves otherwise. The sky blue with the IT mark was bought as an original from gold soul and I believe it to be out of Kev Roberts DJ box.

Oops....I did it again. I think I'll have to buy the demo to be sure of a 60s issue...or is the demo with "Laws" a 70s demo :lol:

Social source share

Very small ? and next to the A VOL 5 ?

Are we not seeing the Virtue stamp also??......not scratched, the word is written but its a definate stamp.

And I could have sworn my S/Sided demo had a little Penguin stamped in the run out??????just checked and its either gone fishing or it was a dream :thumbup:

Another cracker from them!!

Scan027__November_13__2007.bmp

Social source share

Are we not seeing the Virtue stamp also??......not scratched, the word is written but its a definate stamp.

And I could have sworn my S/Sided demo had a little Penguin stamped in the run out??????just checked and its either gone fishing or it was a dream :thumbup:

Another cracker from them!!

Steve, yes VIRTUE is there on all of my Arctic issues, no sign of any penguins though. :wicked:

Social source share

It's definitely scratched in not stamped because if you look at the Virtue in the run off on the B side, see how the u joins the e at the end of the word, totally different to that on the A side

Social source share

Got a blue label 1st press of 'Storm Warning' up for grabs within the page of £10 specials on my site, should anyone else fancy a copy...I mean this is a disc EVERYONE should own...top tuneage.

>>> £10 & £15 Specials <<<

:thumbup:

(There's also an original Billy Floyd - Arctic WD up for offers, but that is defo not in the £10 section! Now that's a tough Arctic number!)

Social source share

It's definitely scratched in not stamped because if you look at the Virtue in the run off on the B side, see how the u joins the e at the end of the word, totally different to that on the A side

Definately stamped on my "Help Wanted" but in a "written" styleee`

Difficult to see now on the LoL demo with it going dark and no natural light but it could be scratched ill bow to your knowledge Pete :lol:

There is actually something on the "Sanded" side as well, VOL number and something else but hard to make out....wonder what was on there before it was sanded?.....definately something cut on there!........possibly the theme from PINGU? laugh.gif:lol:

Go on....own up...........who`s tried playing it then?

wink.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Well I can't tell the difference between stamped and scratched when it comes to this, if indeed there is a difference. Tell you what though, they made some bloody great records!

I know that there are a couple of CD's Available with The Volcanos / Arctic stuff on.

Surely the time is right for someone to Visit the Arctic Label as a CD Package.

There are some Brilliant Tunes.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert