Very Sad News Lesley Singleton Rotherham Rip

Guest madkev

Just heard last night the shocking news that Lesley Singleton from Rotherham died suddenly on wednesday 17th october aged 44.

a stalwart of the scene in the Yorkshire area and better known as "Little" Lesley, she was one of the people who carried the torch for the 60s scene throughout the lost years of the 1980s and well know behind the cash desk at the Queens Hall all-nighters along with Karen McHugh (Wigley)

A record collector in her own right, she was a pioneer female DJ both at the Bradford All-Nighters and in Rotherham at the famous Capones Sunday Sessions and at Ray Hudsons Travellers Rest soul nights. She discovered many new sounds in the fledgling R n B scene seaching secondhand shops throughout the North and was not affraid to play new sounds.

Our thoughts are with her partner, Martin Brogan and her 10 year old son Lewis who was her world.

Funeral details to follow.

Kev

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Really sad shocking news news :thumbsup: Knew Lesley and Martin well back then but not seen then for some time, we all hung around together back then, went to the same venues, parties etc and as a resident at the Travellers I DJ'ed along side Lesley.

My thoughts are with Martin and Lewis at this sad time :lol:

Social source share

Really sad shocking news news :thumbsup: Knew Lesley and Martin well back then but not seen then for some time, we all hung around together back then, went to the same venues, parties etc and as a resident at the Travellers I DJ'ed along side Lesley.

My thoughts are with Martin and Lewis at this sad time :lol:

Very very sad news, I have just received the news from Rob and Karen. we are all devastated.

Leslie always had a big warm smile for everyone. Our thoughts go out to Martin, lewis and family.

Tats

Edited by foolish fool
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Very sad news,remember her very well from Queens Hall days(just informed Tony Chandler---he,s stunned) not seen her for agood few years,but still fond memories.

Commiserations to friends and family

Tony and Rani Coleby.

Social source share

Words can not express the sadness we feel when we got this terrible news last night in Dublin.

Karen is totally devastated and heartbroken, Lesley was her best friend, with her acts of kindness friendships like this only come once in a lifetime.

She is Godmother to our son Connor and was a constant source of help and inspiration when we lived in Rotherham.

She was always the smiling face and would help anyone.

This puts all recent events into prospective. We are waiting to find out more details of this tragic death, but at the moment it sounds like a heart attack. God bless you.

Will post again later

Karen & Rob

RIP

Social source share

Guest Decroco

I am well gutted to hear about Lesley, she was a great lass and a real R n B influence. I still have one of her tapes that she did for me years ago and it has some great tracks on.

My heart goes out to her family and friends.

God rest her SOUL!

Social source share

Have talked to Martin over the weekend and I now have the funeral details as follows

THURSDAY 11.20 am AT ROTHERHAM CREMITORIUM, (Herringthorpe Road i think) I Know it it well sign posted and in the Mushroom garage area if that helps.

We are trying to arrange a small get together after the cremation at a pub nearby, Martin has given his full blessing but he is a very private person and will not be attending it. details follow tomorrow or wednesday when we get home.

Martin has asked me to pass on his thanks to everyone who has left messages and calls, he really is overwhelmed at how much she was liked and respected even after a long time away from The Scene.

Anyone who wants to pass a message on to him and Lewis, just PM us and we'll print them off and take them along for him on Thursday.

thank you

Rob & Karen

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

A personal message to all from KAREN

A record that will remind me of Lesley for ever is The Majestics "I love her so much it hurts"

Any DJ out and about at this weekends events can you please play and dedicate this record to Lesley Singleton as a mark of respect.

Love to all on The Scene-you know who you are

Karen Wigley

xxxxxxxx

Social source share

A personal message to all from KAREN

A record that will remind me of Lesley for ever is The Majestics "I love her so much it hurts"

Any DJ out and about at this weekends events can you please play and dedicate this record to Lesley Singleton as a mark of respect.

Love to all on The Scene-you know who you are

Karen Wigley

xxxxxxxx

Consider it done Karen.

Social source share

Just to remind people

funeral details

Thursday 25th Oct

Rotherham Crematorium at 11.20 am (Herringthorpe road)

be early as the car parking is crap !! and its a long walk up through the grounds to the Crem.

looks like the pub is called "The Tabbard" on Valley Road

not a "do" as such but we'll get a CD player in there and have a drink and a good old chat

Quite a few coming down by the sound of things.

Rob & Karen

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!