Jumps/skips

Guest chorleybloke

Guest chorleybloke

Mate of mine's Sam Williams developed a skip about 3/4 of the way through after playing through without a problem for a couple of months. I tested it on both my Technics decks and couldn't repeat the problem, however I replaced both styli today then re-tested and it skipped on both decks. This seems to suggests that a more worn stylus can handle the obstruction in the groove but a sharper one can't. The defect is just about visible to the naked eye otherwise its a beaut original. Question is - can this be repaired? It can't be such a massive defect if a micron or two between styli makes a difference. Any help appreciated - he's gutted.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

YOU COULD TRY PUTTING THE NEEDLE JUST IN FRONT OF THE JUMP / SKIP AND TURNING THE DECK ANTI-CLOCKWISE BY HAND A FEW TIMES OVER THE SAME SPOT, THATS WORKED FOR ME BEFORE NOW,

OF COURSE EVERY 45 IS DIFFERENT SO WHO KNOWS, I ALSO THINK SOME NEEDLES ARE SHARP POINTED AND SOME ARE A BIT ROUNDED WHICH MIGHT MAKE A BIT OF A DIFFERENCE.

JOE

Social source share

YOU COULD TRY PUTTING THE NEEDLE JUST IN FRONT OF THE JUMP / SKIP AND TURNING THE DECK ANTI-CLOCKWISE BY HAND A FEW TIMES OVER THE SAME SPOT, THATS WORKED FOR ME BEFORE NOW,

OF COURSE EVERY 45 IS DIFFERENT SO WHO KNOWS, I ALSO THINK SOME NEEDLES ARE SHARP POINTED AND SOME ARE A BIT ROUNDED WHICH MIGHT MAKE A BIT OF A DIFFERENCE.

JOE

for skips or crud in the groove(s) i put a blob of neat washing up liquid in the area to be cleaned leave it for a while then i use a couple of sharp wooden toothpicks i use a couple because the wooden tip collapses quickly then do what joe does above using your deck or on a flat surface i normally use a clean teacloth flat on our dinner table then wash the washing up liquid off under the cold tap using cotton wool keeping the label clear of the water,sounds drastic but this has worked well for me lots of times.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!