Sat Nov 24th - Calling All Tos'ers

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

Gonna be a top night Jo

just a shame the venue has not got the wonkey dancefloor

and the smell of Old Father Thames trying to gain entry.

Will we have the fabled disco lights?

Al H :lol:

Yes, the Magic Disco Light is coming out of retirement to bring back those sparkly memories..... :no: Not long to go and already getting deeply excited :D It will be so brilliant to see all the old TOS'ers...and PTP :unsure: Jo

• Replies 82
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thinking about my top 10 TOS tunes - they'd have to be

Dells - Make sure

Kim Weston - Thrill a moment

Johnny De'vigne - I smell trouble

Mack Rice - Baby I'm coming home

Barbara Lynn - Moving on a groove

Dee Dee Sharpe - Deep dark secret

Paris - Sleepless nights

Rose St John - Fool don't laugh

Sunday - Ain't got no problems

Gladys Tyler - A little bitty girl

Aaah good days

Aug/Sept 1999 I was in Virgin Megastore in Oxford St looking for a jazz compilation CD. Had a bit of time to spare before a client meeting and wondered down the racks of CDs stopping abruptly at the soul section as there was a section for 'Northern Soul'. Blimey, they've put some of that on CD I thought. Finished my soul days back in 1982 when I sold the last of the collection and was amazed that most of the RCA originals I used to have were on the track listings. Spent the evening boring the wife about the 'old days' and how that was real music, much better than the rubbish in the charts at the time. Anyway, I noticed on the sleeve notes a Northern Soul Website which was These Old Shoes. 'Hey it's on this Thursday and you know what, I'm going' She looked at me as if I were really sad and promptly declined the offer of a 'real soul night out'. Now I hadn't been to a soul night for years so was both excited and a bit nervous about the whole thing especially as I didn't recognise any of the tunes for the first couple of hours. 'Got any oldies' I asked - These are oldies came back the reply. Good sounds I thought tho'. By this time I'd got talking to a few bods and felt really at home - 'definitely have to come back next month'. Jo finished off the night and got the whole place rocking and that sealed it for me - it was if I'd never left.

The point of all of this is; These Old Shoes was probably one of the main reasons I got back into the scene, not just me but hundreds of other soulies in London. TOS, 100 club, Scenesville and The Dome are all part of soul's heritage and today's scene wouldn't be the same if they hadn't been there. Jo, Paul and Martin - got to take my hat off to you all and it'll be a pleasure to be at the renuion of what ,for me, was one of the happiest times of my life.

Cheers m'dears

Warren

Bloody hell Warren! You'll have me in tears! tongue.gif

Sorting out a few records at the moment, only bringing a small box down tho.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone and many thanks to Paul McKay for that photo (the number of times I told them not to put their beer on the bloody speakers!).

:D

Paul

Yes, the Magic Disco Light is coming out of retirement to bring back those sparkly memories..... :( Not long to go and already getting deeply excited :D It will be so brilliant to see all the old TOS'ers...and PTP :thumbsup: Jo

I'm not a TOS'er but it sounds like a good night.

I'm down in London for the weekend, going to the Record Fair, and Ady suggested I'd enjoy it and that I should pop along. Hope that's okay?

I've been reading some of the threads and I'm confused;

1. Is it just £2 to get in?

2. Where is the entrance?

I can find my way to 229 Great Portland Street but there seems to be some confusion about what entrance to use? And as I'm not a Londoner, it'll be even more confusing for me.

Denbo.

Guest CapitolSC

I'm down in London for the weekend, going to the Record Fair, and Ady suggested I'd enjoy it and that I should pop along. Hope that's okay?

I can find my way to 229 Great Portland Street but there seems to be some confusion about what entrance to use? And as I'm not a Londoner, it'll be even more confusing for me.

Denbo.

Nothing to be confused about

its 2 quid in for the party or 8 quid for fab which is a separate event

Jo will be on the door so everything will be sorted.

When you come out of the station the international students hall aka 229 is opposite the Albany pub

its a big building so easy too find

Al H :thumbsup:

Moved to London in April 24th, TOS was one of the first Northern events i went to here, was there a few times and met a lot of people that later on got me into visiting Vivo and Soul in the City and from there on a lot of other great nights!

Can't wait for Saturday. We'll see if doing a spin in this venue will cause you ending up in the other end of the room just like at the River Bar. :D

See you in not too many hours...

Marcus

Guest vinylvixen

Denbo.

You're more than welcome - the more the merrier. Like Al has already said, come to the Main Entrance, I'll take £2 off you and then it will be 'signposted'.....

https://www.ish.org.uk/MAP.html - map of the area

I think you'll be able to tell from the music when you open the door of each room. One will be prog rock/ psyche and the other will be FABULOUS :D We are a completely seperate gig to Rob's. If you want to get into FAB, it is £10. Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Guest vinylvixen

Setting off for that London in about an hour, really looking forward to seeing everyone again. :D

Cheers

Paul

Bon Voyage. Enjoy the British Museum and see you down at the venue on Saturday....

DJ times:

Andy Faulkner - 9.00-9.45

Paul McKay - 9.45-10.30

Warren Boogaloo - 10.30-11.15

Martin T - 11.15-12 midnight

Alan H - 12-12.45

Roger Stewart - 12.45-01.30

PTP - 1.30-2.15

Jo - 2.15-3am

Hope that's OK with everyone. PM me if there's any problems....if not - see y'all then

Bon Voyage. Enjoy the British Museum and see you down at the venue on Saturday....

DJ times:

Andy Faulkner - 9.00-9.45

Paul McKay - 9.45-10.30

Warren Boogaloo - 10.30-11.15

Martin T - 11.15-12 midnight

Alan H - 12-12.45

Roger Stewart - 12.45-01.30

PTP - 1.30-2.15

Jo - 2.15-3am

Hope that's OK with everyone. PM me if there's any problems....if not - see y'all then

Class line up Jo. Looking forward to Saturday night. Don't forget The Dells and Earl Van Dyke..two tunes that always remind me of TOS.

M

Bon Voyage. Enjoy the British Museum and see you down at the venue on Saturday.... DJ times: Andy Faulkner - 9.00-9.45 Paul McKay - 9.45-10.30 Warren Boogaloo - 10.30-11.15 Martin T - 11.15-12 midnight Alan H - 12-12.45 Roger Stewart - 12.45-01.30 PTP - 1.30-2.15 Jo - 2.15-3am Hope that's OK with everyone. PM me if there's any problems....if not - see y'all then

Just trying to sort some tunes out.

Ooh What to play? What to play? unsure.gif

See you tomorrow

You're more than welcome - the more the merrier. Like Al has already said, come to the Main Entrance, I'll take £2 off you and then it will be 'signposted'.....

https://www.ish.org.uk/MAP.html - map of the area

I think you'll be able to tell from the music when you open the door of each room. One will be prog rock/ psyche and the other will be FABULOUS :rolleyes: We are a completely seperate gig to Rob's. If you want to get into FAB, it is £10. Jo

I can see it now, swirly's dressed for Fab and going *cough* "I'm here for These Old Shoes, I understand it to be a soul night and costs just £2"... :yes:

Guest kent soul club

Good luck with this tommorrow Jo - and happy birthday to Paul.

The old TOS sound system sounds ok in my garage by the way, not sure if the neighbours agree though!

Shame we can't make it - going to the seaside.

Have a good'un.

Magoo thumbsup.gif

I read Warren's description of how he'd found TOS with interest. It was the 3rd London club I went to on my return to the soul scene after so many years away.

I'd been to the CSC at the Dome and been amazed at the music, 2 or 3 hours before I heard anything I knew, then Soul In The City at the Old Blue Last, again all new sounds to me. I think it was the 2nd visit there that I met John Stubbs, and he suggested I go to the January TOS.

I booked my ticket, and went along, I was a bit worried, not sure what it would be like and if I'd fit in, old geezer that I am. No worries, I was made so welcome by Jo and everyone, it was packed, and it was just like going back to the 60s again. Fantastic music, ventured on to the sloping dance floor, went A over T at one point, felt a bit of a fool, but kept on dancing.

And that was it, just fell in love with the place. I think I only missed a couple after that, and I was away for them.

I always had to leave early to get my last train from Liverpool Street, and I felt so good after an evening there, no drugs required to feel that high.

When it was announced that it was closing I felt I was going to lose a friend, really gutted, hate that phrase, but you know what I mean.

We never got round to writing up the TOS story did we Jo? I'd really like to do that, just for the record, did the CSC one, so it would be good to have the definitive TOS story down properly. I hope that there will still be a soul scene in the future and people will look back and see how important clubs like TOS, CSC, Scenesville, SITC were.

As I said above it always reminded me of the 60s clubs, it was the nearest to the Scene for me.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night, hoping the DJs will play all the old TOS favourites, I am sure that is what most of us will be wanting to hear. Of course when I try to remember as usual brain goes blank, Martin T and Warren have had requests, but perhaps Freddie Paris' There She Goes, Hal Miller's Blessing In Disguise, Panic Is On (you can tell I like beat ballads) would be nice; Lonely Too Long, Carol & Gerri, Delegates Of Soul, so many others.

Apologies for rambling on.

I really want to go to this tomorrow night. Unfortunately, no babysitter! Any reliable offers?

Met my husband (Martin Thomson) in TOS days! Hence, reason for wishing to go tomorrow.

No-one to babysit though!!

Boo Hoo!!

x

Guest vinylvixen

I really want to go to this tomorrow night. Unfortunately, no babysitter! Any reliable offers?

Met my husband (Martin Thomson) in TOS days! Hence, reason for wishing to go tomorrow.

No-one to babysit though!!

Boo Hoo!!

x

Bring Curtis along....we'll have a Soul Creche open just for him - and it's never too early to start 'em off. I seem to remember Curtis cutting the rug at the Eagle - we'll have him on the decks tonight double decking with his dad :ohmy: Seriously though, if anyone could recommend a baby sitter to Audra, that would be splendid. Hope to see you tonight. Jo

Guest vinylvixen

I read Warren's description of how he'd found TOS with interest. It was the 3rd London club I went to on my return to the soul scene after so many years away.

I'd been to the CSC at the Dome and been amazed at the music, 2 or 3 hours before I heard anything I knew, then Soul In The City at the Old Blue Last, again all new sounds to me. I think it was the 2nd visit there that I met John Stubbs, and he suggested I go to the January TOS.

I booked my ticket, and went along, I was a bit worried, not sure what it would be like and if I'd fit in, old geezer that I am. No worries, I was made so welcome by Jo and everyone, it was packed, and it was just like going back to the 60s again. Fantastic music, ventured on to the sloping dance floor, went A over T at one point, felt a bit of a fool, but kept on dancing.

And that was it, just fell in love with the place. I think I only missed a couple after that, and I was away for them.

I always had to leave early to get my last train from Liverpool Street, and I felt so good after an evening there, no drugs required to feel that high.

When it was announced that it was closing I felt I was going to lose a friend, really gutted, hate that phrase, but you know what I mean.

We never got round to writing up the TOS story did we Jo? I'd really like to do that, just for the record, did the CSC one, so it would be good to have the definitive TOS story down properly. I hope that there will still be a soul scene in the future and people will look back and see how important clubs like TOS, CSC, Scenesville, SITC were.

As I said above it always reminded me of the 60s clubs, it was the nearest to the Scene for me.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night, hoping the DJs will play all the old TOS favourites, I am sure that is what most of us will be wanting to hear. Of course when I try to remember as usual brain goes blank, Martin T and Warren have had requests, but perhaps Freddie Paris' There She Goes, Hal Miller's Blessing In Disguise, Panic Is On (you can tell I like beat ballads) would be nice; Lonely Too Long, Carol & Gerri, Delegates Of Soul, so many others.

Apologies for rambling on.

I'm sure Alan H will spin Hal Miller for you....i'm seceretly hoping he does :lol: Geoff, feel free to ramble - it's a real compliment to be compared to the Scene - Randy always used to speak very highly of it. And I promise, we'll sit down and write the TOS story. Martin and PTP will be there tonight so maybe it's an ideal opportunity to get their sides of it as well....bring your Dictaphone :ohmy: Jo

Guest vinylvixen

I can see it now, swirly's dressed for Fab and going *cough* "I'm here for These Old Shoes, I understand it to be a soul night and costs just £2"... biggrin.gif

I have a trained eye....no TOS imposter will get past me :ohmy: Bring two whole British pounds along and a night of demented entertainment shall be yours.... :lol: Can't wait.

Guest vinylvixen

Just trying to sort some tunes out.

Ooh What to play? What to play? :ohmy:

See you tomorrow

Oh I know....decisions decisions. If only people knew how agonising it was choosing your tunes to play out - but Andy, I know what you've got squirrelled away :lol: They're all top banana. Laters x

Guest vinylvixen

Happy Birthday Paul. To you and Jo hope you have a great night tonight.

From all @ YKSoul :D

Cheers Nick and Steve....just running around like a headless chicken with a check list - and then it's offski to International Rescue HQ...see y'all there.