Did You Clench Your Fist And Say "geddin There You Beauty!"

Koolkat

Only been a member for short while,so this may have been covered elswhere. I was just wondering, all you soulies do you still get the buzz when you find a disc thats a gem/rarity. And have you any tales to tell when you were younger and tunes could be found in the States and what are they. Eg. I once heard that Richard Searling once found a 70 box of Duke Browners when it was in-demand. what a lift that was. Anymore for anymore.

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Only been a member for short while,so this may have been covered elswhere. I was just wondering, all you soulies do you still get the buzz when you find a disc thats a gem/rarity. And have you any tales to tell when you were younger and tunes could be found in the States and what are they. Eg. I once heard that Richard Searling once found a 70 box of Duke Browners when it was in-demand. what a lift that was. Anymore for anymore.

I still get a buzz everytime the postie brings one of those little brown packets. She brought me 4 of them the other day, i could barely hide my excitement as she handed them over, you couldn't have wiped the smile of my face with a spade.

I don't buy big money items but it's sooooo much fun trying to pick up unknowns or bargains.....happy days :)

gary

Social source share

I still get a buzz everytime the postie brings one of those little brown packets. She brought me 4 of them the other day, i could barely hide my excitement as she handed them over, you couldn't have wiped the smile of my face with a spade.

I don't buy big money items but it's sooooo much fun trying to pick up unknowns or bargains.....happy days :)

gary

hear, hear gazman, not much beats spinning a fiver-sound that sounds like a lot, lot more and it's not the financial saving that does it, it's the reaction of the paying public. soul heaven as they may say.

Social source share

Was in Roger Stewart's shop last Friday, he mentioned some Soul who had sent him a sales list and read out a widely used term underneath the track listing "Sounds Like a £1000 Tune!"

So what does a thousand pound tune sound like then?

Mal:)

I'm not sure :D - although they reckon one looks like a million dollars. :)

Social source share

I reckon that 'buzz' is addictive itself, can cause people to do all sorts of financially stupid things.

Jayne.x

Social source share

This happened to me on Sunday night. Have been looking for a record at the right price for some time, got a PM on sunday night telling me that someone had it on their sales list. Couldn't wait to get on the phone on Monday morning to secure it. Was shaking with excitement all day, still walking around on a high. Can you imagine how I will be when it actually drops through the letter box.

Then last night I was browsing a sales list on SS and came across another one I have had trouble finding.

Then today a record box I have been waiting for from the states arrived

Think it will be about christmas before my feet hit the floor at this rate

Note to self..............................Get out more :)

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Last happened to me about two years ago in Nashville, when I found a stone mint Freddie Chavez and a Dave Newman 'Make Up Your Mind' in the same thrift shop - for 40 cents each - in a skuzzy side street that I only drove down because of a traffic diversion...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Last happened to me about two years ago in Nashville, when I found a stone mint Freddie Chavez and a Dave Newman 'Make Up Your Mind' in the same thrift shop - for 40 cents each - in a skuzzy side street that I only drove down because of a traffic diversion...

What? I'd have thought you could have asked Freddie/Dave, surely he's a close personal friend of yours?

:lol:

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

This happened to me on Sunday night. Have been looking for a record at the right price for some time, got a PM on sunday night telling me that someone had it on their sales list. Couldn't wait to get on the phone on Monday morning to secure it. Was shaking with excitement all day, still walking around on a high. Can you imagine how I will be when it actually drops through the letter box.

Then last night I was browsing a sales list on SS and came across another one I have had trouble finding.

Then today a record box I have been waiting for from the states arrived

Think it will be about christmas before my feet hit the floor at this rate

Note to self..............................Get out more :lol:

QoFxx

But isn't it lovely when it happens & you find that elusive gem!.

I've done some daft things, sent taxi's to record shops to pick up records whilst I've been stuck in work and nobody in work understanding why a taxi brought me a record or why I'd just paid so much for the vinyl anyway.

I suppose one of my daftest moments was driving hundred miles to buy a record from a guy I'd never met. I'd been looking for a particular tune for about 6/7 years and was amazingly chuffed when I won it in an auction. I remember ringing Mr Bicknell to make sure he'd heard of the guy before arranging to drive two and into North Wales one january night into the middle of nowhere to meet a guy I didn't know and hand over more than I was earning in a month!. ( I was busy being chuffed to bits whilst my mum went mad with me!. LOL)

It was meant to be a surprise for someone two months later... I planned all the way home where in the house I could hide it for those two months and how I'd hand it over, well 20 minutes after getting it in the house it was all too much and surprise was ruined. :unsure:

Suppose it could be argued that the daftest thing was not keeping it for myself! LOL.

Jayne

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What? I'd have thought you could have asked Freddie/Dave, surely he's a close personal friend of yours?

:lol:

Actually he might well be, but you know I don't like to boast about my showbiz relationships :unsure:laugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Having found a place that NO ONE had been to before and getting 'classics' and 'newies' from before the likes of Manship found them. They may have found him in the end (Hammie from Bedford never did, after trying to fool my kids), but what I had got first, WOW!!!

Social source share

Yep!

When I bought the 2nd copy of the Carstairs for £15 off Dave Rivers @ the Heavy Steam Machine in Hanley circa 1974.

When I found the 1st real copy (outside of Simon Soussan's) of Willie Hutch's "The Duck"/"Love Runs Out" at an L.A. record dealers house in 1976.

When I swapped the Exception's "You Always Hurt Me" on Capitol for the ONLY UK copy of the Four Perfections "I'm Not Strong Enough" on Partytime off Arthur Fenn circa 1975.

When I went in a shop called 1940 Jukebox Company in Denver, Colorado and found everything for 25 cents each in 1987. Now THAT was a "geddin there you beauty" day I can tell ya............

However, I also turned down a Billy Woods off John Anderson for £3 in 1973, so not all roses LOL...........

Ian D

Social source share

Yep!

When I bought the 2nd copy of the Carstairs for £15 off Dave Rivers @ the Heavy Steam Machine in Hanley circa 1974.

When I found the 1st real copy (outside of Simon Soussan's) of Willie Hutch's "The Duck"/"Love Runs Out" at an L.A. record dealers house in 1976.

When I swapped the Exception's "You Always Hurt Me" on Capitol for the ONLY UK copy of the Four Perfections "I'm Not Strong Enough" on Partytime off Arthur Fenn circa 1975.

When I went in a shop called 1940 Jukebox Company in Denver, Colorado and found everything for 25 cents each in 1987. Now THAT was a "geddin there you beauty" day I can tell ya............

However, I also turned down a Billy Woods off John Anderson for £3 in 1973, so not all roses LOL...........

Ian D

yes ian

i think weve all passed up on a record or two!

back in 1972 i bought 98 yes 98 copies of the vonettes touch my heart for 33p each

150 copies of edwin starr youre my mellow for 50p each now don't i just wish i'd kept

a few of each!!

max

Social source share

yes ian

i think weve all passed up on a record or two!

back in 1972 i bought 98 yes 98 copies of the vonettes touch my heart for 33p each

150 copies of edwin starr youre my mellow for 50p each now don't i just wish i'd kept

a few of each!!

max

I've got a few like that. I LEFT a 100 count box of Lew Kirton "Heaven In The Afternoon" @ a warehouse in Stafford @ 25p each 'cos I hated the damn record! A couple of years later it took off and started fetching nutcase money.......

I did find 50 copies of Eloise Laws "Love Factory" and 50 copies of Segments Of Time "Memories" and also the rarest record in Belgium at the time ("Heartless Lover" - The Dick Baker Combo on another Kool Kat label) plus 2 Terrible Tom's and a Johnny Caswell for 25 cents each @ an L.A. junk shop in the middle of industrial east L.A.

And of course, I did find the ONLY ever copy of the Si Hightower Monarch Test Pressing which I later sold to the good Colin Dilnot for £15 in 1978 on the basis that it was 'too deep' for me LOL.......

Ian D

Social source share

people ! please give us more of these golden finds stories, it amazes me, i love this kind of topic, i dream of finding unknowns in old warehouses,junk shops,basements etc

OK, how about this:

One pissing down miserable Tuesday I was in Bradford still coming down from the weekend and feeling generally pissed off, so went to Bostocks in Bradford Market 'cos they always used to have tons of imports (they bought out the MGM/Verve Warehouse in the States so this is where the Tymes, Dottie Cambridge, The Shalamars, April Stevens, The Righteous Brothers Band, The Charades and many others were discovered along with lots of other stuff like Alice Clark etc).

One of the big records at the time was "Sidra's Theme" on the Sidra label. Lo and behold I found a record for 25p called "As Long As You Love Me (I'll Stay)" by Ronnie & Robyn on Sidra. Turned out to be the vocal version before anyone knew there was one!

Same market, two years later I found the first copy of Lenny Curtis "Nothing Can Help You Now" on End.

Over the years there were literally hundreds of Northern Soul discoveries from this one outlet. Every so often Levine would come back from the States with fresh discoveries and some of us would know that the records were @ Bradford Market - the Righteous Brothers Band and Spiral Staircase are two good examples, so sometimes there'd be a queue of people waiting for the market to open on a Monday morning after the weekend LOL......

I think Bradford Market was one of the key places for Northern Soul discoveries in the early 70's along with Global in Manchester.

Also, the travelling fairs would sometimes have U.S. imports as prizes for shooting galleries or hook the duck stalls etc, etc. I found a copy of Don Gardner's "I Can't Help Myself" at one, although I have a feeling that the fairs used to get their stock from Bostocks themselves.

It might be a good idea for a thread as to where many of the best places to find Northern Soul in the UK were back in the day. On the other hand it could be horrible as well, looking at the prices now LOL!

More to come.......

Ian D

Social source share

I've got a few like that. I LEFT a 100 count box of Lew Kirton "Heaven In The Afternoon" @ a warehouse in Stafford @ 25p each 'cos I hated the damn record! A couple of years later it took off and started fetching nutcase money.......

I did find 50 copies of Eloise Laws "Love Factory" and 50 copies of Segments Of Time "Memories" and also the rarest record in Belgium at the time ("Heartless Lover" - The Dick Baker Combo on another Kool Kat label) plus 2 Terrible Tom's and a Johnny Caswell for 25 cents each @ an L.A. junk shop in the middle of industrial east L.A.

And of course, I did find the ONLY ever copy of the Si Hightower Monarch Test Pressing which I later sold to the good Colin Dilnot for £15 in 1978 on the basis that it was 'too deep' for me LOL.......

Ian D

Ian - my recollection was you charged me £4!!!! Think I've still got sales list in the loft in which you listed it - of course no one bought it and I had to rummage for it on your shelves in the flat in Leeds!!! That was the day you forgot to pick me up from the station!!!! Perhaps you should have left me there LOL!!!

Best wishes

Colin

Social source share

Ian - my recollection was you charged me £4!!!! Think I've still got sales list in the loft in which you listed it - of course no one bought it and I had to rummage for it on your shelves in the flat in Leeds!!! That was the day you forgot to pick me up from the station!!!! Perhaps you should have left me there LOL!!!

Best wishes

Colin

Well the way I always looked at it, was that if someone could genuinely use a record more than me, then the record would be better off in their collections rather than mine. What's the point in just having records gathering dust on the shelf when someone else could be genuinly using 'em?

Si Hightower was a perfect example. At the time you were one of the few collectors in the country who was genuinely interested in Deep Soul and none-dancers, plus I could tell that you really dug the record. And really you were the best owner for that item at that time I reckon. The subsequent history of the record demontrates that I think. But only £4???? I must have been nuts. Mind you, back then, how many buyers for that type of record were there? Hardly any believe me - that's why I loved it when you came over LOL....

By the way, I've bumped into a similar collector down here - Steve Rumney, who is really into a lot of Deep stuff albeit with slow rhythms underneath, so I'd like to put him onto you and vice versa if you're up for it. He has a lot of stuff and he's always on the lookout for more......

But more to the point, how much did Rod pay for Si LOL? He never actually told me.......

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

Mine sounds a bit crap compared to the big finds of you lot but my happiest find was in an antique shop in LA. I d been on a record hunt to NY a couple of years before and had a big romantic vision of how wonderful it would be to spend a few weeks travelling around and hunting for records. Me and the ex went off to California all ready to find some massive tunes and have a bit of a holiday.

Oh how the reality sucks!

I d been behind the radiators in a shop in New York and looked at some wet vinyl in the cellar of another shop and thought that they were extremes!

Wrong

thirty year old records that have been stored well are filthy and covered in dust, the ones that have been stored badly make you want to cry.

Looking for records in most shops or Record barns leaves you filthy, hot and knackered, most places had been raped by Japenese collectors who had sent lists of labels and had taken almost everything.Soon hours of looking to find a few mid priced bits got less interesting (for me) and as the sun was shining outside I did less and less.

One day we ended up in an antique shop and I mooched about thru the racks and found a 1 dollar wonder Beloyd Get into my Life. It s not big or clever but it is a record I love and it made the sun come out that day for me.

I performed the "ohhhhhhh I want this one jig " in the aisle of the shop until my partner mentioned the need to look unimpressed for the till haggle. laugh.gif

It still has its one dollar sticker on the run out groove and every time I look at it it takes me back to a happy moment in LA many years ago.

Social source share

HI CHRIS!!

C'MON THEN WHATS YOUR BEST EVER FIND

MAX

I`m sure that a lot of guys can tell some major stories about finding some stuff in the 70s and it must have been amazing to have been there. All of the finds listed below have taken place post ebay and post price guide so to me that makes them even more special...

2x Paul Thompsons and Wil Collins for $8

13 Brown Sugars for $6 each (when it was red hot)

Big Frank (Phillips), Dusty Wilson (Mutt) and Appreciations (sport) $40

Once had the whole run of Palmer and Labeat in one hit...

Soul bros inc FREE!

Loads more...but these are the ones that spring to mind...

Chris.

Social source share

My best was the one I wrote about In Manifesto a few years ago (and it also featured in the book "Too darn soulful").

Basically some guy was trying to sell 500 records in a box to a store, and they didn't want them. Eventually did a deal with him on the street, and the 500 included Ty Karim (Caramel), Virginia Blakely and Betty Willis on MoJo, Sandi Shelton, Johnny Robinson on O'Keh, Prince Phillip Mitchell, and some others as well. Paid $150 ish for the 500.....Reeeeeesult!

Social source share

OK, how about this:

One pissing down miserable Tuesday I was in Bradford still coming down from the weekend and feeling generally pissed off, so went to Bostocks in Bradford Market 'cos they always used to have tons of imports (they bought out the MGM/Verve Warehouse in the States so this is where the Tymes, Dottie Cambridge, The Shalamars, April Stevens, The Righteous Brothers Band, The Charades and many others were discovered along with lots of other stuff like Alice Clark etc).

One of the big records at the time was "Sidra's Theme" on the Sidra label. Lo and behold I found a record for 25p called "As Long As You Love Me (I'll Stay)" by Ronnie & Robyn on Sidra. Turned out to be the vocal version before anyone knew there was one!

Same market, two years later I found the first copy of Lenny Curtis "Nothing Can Help You Now" on End.

Over the years there were literally hundreds of Northern Soul discoveries from this one outlet. Every so often Levine would come back from the States with fresh discoveries and some of us would know that the records were @ Bradford Market - the Righteous Brothers Band and Spiral Staircase are two good examples, so sometimes there'd be a queue of people waiting for the market to open on a Monday morning after the weekend LOL......

I think Bradford Market was one of the key places for Northern Soul discoveries in the early 70's along with Global in Manchester.

Also, the travelling fairs would sometimes have U.S. imports as prizes for shooting galleries or hook the duck stalls etc, etc. I found a copy of Don Gardner's "I Can't Help Myself" at one, although I have a feeling that the fairs used to get their stock from Bostocks themselves.

It might be a good idea for a thread as to where many of the best places to find Northern Soul in the UK were back in the day. On the other hand it could be horrible as well, looking at the prices now LOL!

More to come.......

Ian D

we used to have daves surplus in derby, i seem to remember there was originally two shops on london road, loads of mgm inc charades, spyder turner, loads of rca stuff all issues inc sharon scott, metros both sweetest one and "since" the strange thing is the boxes at the front of the shop where the above mentioned records were was quickly skimmed through, me and my mates spent hours looking through the other thousands of records elsewhere in the shop, i cant remember ever getting anything any good at all apart from a record called "poor town" which i gave away, oh to have a "life on mars" day

Social source share

HI CHRIS!!

C'MON THEN WHATS YOUR BEST EVER FIND

MAX

I`m sure that a lot of guys can tell some major stories about finding some stuff in the 70s and it must have been amazing to have been there. All of the finds listed below have taken place post ebay and post price guide so to me that makes them even more special...

2x Paul Thompsons and Wil Collins for $8

13 Brown Sugars for $6 each (when it was red hot)

Big Frank (Phillips), Dusty Wilson (Mutt) and Appreciations (sport) $40

Once had the whole run of Palmer and Labeat in one hit...

Soul bros inc FREE!

Loads more...but these are the ones that spring to mind...

Chris.

Good enough for me - especially post e-bay and price guides! It's a hell of a lot more difficult these days that's for sure.

Thought for the day: the 2nd or 3rd copy of the Invitations "Skiing In The Snow" was bought in a U.S. Woolworths sales for 15 cents! Times have sure changed.......

Ian D

Social source share

My best was the one I wrote about In Manifesto a few years ago (and it also featured in the book "Too darn soulful").

Basically some guy was trying to sell 500 records in a box to a store, and they didn't want them. Eventually did a deal with him on the street, and the 500 included Ty Karim (Caramel), Virginia Blakely and Betty Willis on MoJo, Sandi Shelton, Johnny Robinson on O'Keh, Prince Phillip Mitchell, and some others as well. Paid $150 ish for the 500.....Reeeeeesult!

I read about it! Amazing score. It was Record Surplus wasn't it.....?

Ian D

Social source share

we used to have daves surplus in derby, i seem to remember there was originally two shops on london road, loads of mgm inc charades, spyder turner, loads of rca stuff all issues inc sharon scott, metros both sweetest one and "since" the strange thing is the boxes at the front of the shop where the above mentioned records were was quickly skimmed through, me and my mates spent hours looking through the other thousands of records elsewhere in the shop, i cant remember ever getting anything any good at all apart from a record called "poor town" which i gave away, oh to have a "life on mars" day

We've all had those mate!

I once went to a shop in Batley in about 1975 which was run by a biker. There were 1000's of old U.S. 45's from the Doo-Wop eras through to the mid 60's but very little obvious Northern stuff at that time. When the slower, earlier stuff started being played in the late 70's and Stafford era 80's, I realised that many of those records were in the Batley shop - I have a photographic memory for labels I've seen.

Naturally I could never find the guy again........

I think there were a couple of places in Nottingham too weren't there? I know the Ila Vann's all came from Nottingham whilst the only copies of the Del-Larks all came from Jim Wilson's Records in Shoreditch.....

Ian D

Ian D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!