'big' Artists In Your Play/current Faves Box

For many the collecting of soul started with the Stax/Motown/Atlantic labels and artists and obviously graduated (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) to the many sub-genres albeit deep/northern/R&B etc etc. Our play/faves box is crammed full of the unknown but who's got the Arethas/Otis/Butlers and the Marvins in their box? What tunes are doin' for you from the known and famous soul folk?

Absolute killer for me at the moment is this sublime deep offering from Arthur Conley. Deep! Anyone for any more??

Rich

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The Arthur Conley above gets my vote as my favourite ever Stax production: a simply awe-inspiring record. I also love the American Studios recording "Put Our Love Together" (the flip of Funky Street) by Arthur, who IMO is criminally underrated in soul circles. It would be nice if someone could post a soundfile of Put Our Love... as it's a truly beautiful piece of soul music.

Whenever I'm asked to play records I always like to include tunes by giants of soul music. Two particular faves at the moment are Clarence Carter's "I Can't Leave Your Love Alone" and Sam & Dave's "Everybody's Got To Believe In Somebody", both on Atlantic. Pure soul records made in magical circumstances where everyone involved was extremely talented and at the very top of their collective game.

Social source share

Superb choices Gareth and exactly what I was hoping for re. the thread. As you quite rightly point out these artists had supreme talent and the material and production staff available to them produced some classic and memorable sides PLUS ones we all overlook !

Two from the wicked man himself:

Wilson Pickett - Search Your Heart (Atlantic) & Down To My Last Heartbreak (Double L)

Best

Rich

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Superb choices Gareth and exactly what I was hoping for re. the thread. As you quite rightly point out these artists had supreme talent and the material and production staff available to them produced some classic and memorable sides PLUS ones we all overlook !

Two from the wicked man himself:

Wilson Pickett - Search Your Heart (Atlantic) & Down To My Last Heartbreak (Double L)

Best

Rich

Let's get a few more shouts up for Pickett:

Covering The Same Old Ground

Back in Your Arms

I'm Not Tired

It's All Over

Danger Zone

Nothing You Can Do

People Make The World

I'm In Love

Three Time Loser

Days Gone By - the whole 'In Philadelphia' album, in fact

She Said Yes

For Better Or Worse

Come Home Baby

I'm Gonna Cry

...all on Atlantic. Not a lot of dancers in there, I know, but plenty of the greatest soul music ever committed to vinyl. I always think it's a real shame that a lot of the people who come on SS and rave about a record in the context of its current price will just never know how good records like these are, because you can pick most of them up for fivers and tenners....

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well so far my one and only dj gig i ever did i played Arthur Conley - Star Review and it's my fav by him also one of my top 10 fav Northern tunes of all time

Social source share

Let's get a few more shouts up for Pickett:

Covering The Same Old Ground

Back in Your Arms

I'm Not Tired

It's All Over

Danger Zone

Nothing You Can Do

People Make The World

I'm In Love

Three Time Loser

Days Gone By - the whole 'In Philadelphia' album, in fact

She Said Yes

For Better Or Worse

Come Home Baby

I'm Gonna Cry

...all on Atlantic. Not a lot of dancers in there, I know, but plenty of the greatest soul music ever committed to vinyl. I always think it's a real shame that a lot of the people who come on SS and rave about a record in the context of its current price will just never know how good records like these are, because you can pick most of them up for fivers and tenners....

:( Too right :g:

With 'Come Home Baby', always thought the female vocal overpowered it a bit & just stopped it being a great record. The other side is pretty good too though 'Take A Little Love'

A couple more from the wicked pickett ;

'She's Looking Good' every bit as good as Roger Collins's version & has a good b side too in 'We Got To Have Love'

'I Found A True Love'

& of course 'Everybody Needs Someone to Love' which has another good b side in 'Nothing You Can Do' . Just noticed you have already mentioned that though so perhaps 'Everybody' was the b side ? As good a version as it is though, i think Solomon Burke's was the best if pitched up slightly.

A couple more for the general thread , don't forget Percy Sledge's contributions, 'Baby Help Me' & 'Heart Of A Child' spring to mind :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!