Mick Farrer

Heard 2 tunes which I would like details of during Mick Farrers 2 - 3.00am slot on Saturday in the Modern Main Room,Prestatyn, one was by Nina Simone don't know the title, any chance of a list please?

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was it 'Touching and caring'?

link

Yes and he announced it as something new that the soul world needs, or soe such excited words, which raised a chuckle amongst a number of hes who remember this from a number of years ago when it was played to death!!

Another one for these southern boys to do their homework more carefully!! whistling.gif:)

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

I always think about those "Unknown" disc jockeys from the US of A who played all these things first time round, in small neighbourhood clubs etc.....

Social source share

I always think about those "Unknown" disc jockeys from the US of A who played all these things first time round, in small neighbourhood clubs etc.....

link

Something I've never thought of Brett. I would have thought the majority of records got little or no airplay at all when first released and our DJ's have probably done more for the records than those over the pond whistling.gif

Social source share

link

Well unfortunately, unlike you obviously were, I wasn't priviliged enough to be around American neighbourhoods in 60's and 70's to hear them being played or I would credit them.

I have only been lucky enough to be part of the Northern Soul scene where one of my morals, along with deeply unpopular originals only ethos, is credit where credits due.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Something I've never thought of Brett.  I would have thought the majority of records got little or no airplay at all when first released and our DJ's have probably done more for the records than those over the pond  whistling.gif

link

Feel certain Chalky, that some of the artists would have had freinds etc, and would certainly had the chance to listen to their all to brief "Fame", via the playing of records, but totally agree with you on our home grown people doing more for the records than their USA counterparts.

Social source share

Hang on I'm a Southern Boy Jocko :-O That siad it's an old Adam spin from the 80's if memory serves right, or was it Robin Salter??? The perils of old age :-(

link

Ah but I believe you may have been tutored in some way by Randy Cozens or his associates, in which case you are obviously totally exempt from my criticism! whistling.gif

Seriously it was a light hearted jibe at the modern crowd from London (many who are friends) and their recent acceptance of some old Modern (or not so modern as maybe we should call it now!!) sounds, no offence attended. apart from a gentle reminder of the old boys!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Well unfortunately, unlike you obviously were, I wasn't priviliged enough to be around American neighbourhoods in 60's and 70's  to hear them being played or I would credit them.

I have only been lucky enough to be part of the Northern Soul scene where one of my morals, along with deeply unpopular originals only ethos, is credit where credits due.

Cheers

Jock

link

Oh dear, looks like my comment has got taken the wrong way, in no way was i having a go at anyone or anything here, just really believed that someone must have played at least some of these tracks in American neighbourhoods.

Social source share

Ah but I believe you may have been tutored in some way by Randy Cozens or his associates, in which case you are obviously totally exempt from my criticism!  :)

Seriously it was a light hearted jibe at the modern crowd from London  (many who are friends) and their recent acceptance of some old Modern (or not so modern as maybe we should call it now!!) sounds, no offence attended. apart from a gentle reminder of the old boys!!

Cheers

Jock

link

A NICE gentle reminder, especially about and for Randy whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

old Modern (or not so modern as maybe we should call it now!!)

link

The official terms are either MODDENSOLE or NORMODDEN. whistling.gif

Cheers

Roger

Social source share

link

Russ's uncle ?

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The official terms are either MODDENSOLE or NORMODDEN. :yes:

Cheers

Roger

link

as opposed to propermodernsoul © RW 2003 whistling.gif or Modern Oldies which actually includes anything that is after 1965 :)sleep3.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

as opposed to propermodernsoul © RW 2003  whistling.gif or Modern Oldies which actually includes anything that is after 1965  whistling.gif   whistling.gif

link

Quite simple really mate, anything from the 70s isn't 'modern' by definition and that includes soul music. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Quite simple really mate, anything from the 70s isn't 'modern' by definition and that includes soul music.  whistling.gif

link

I was agreeing with you plonker whistling.gifwhistling.gif of course you could always adapt your roll off the tongue NORMODDEN which to me is far too close to TODMORDEN :rolleyes::lol: into MORTHANSOUL © thereby instantly bestowing an air of self righteous smuggness and superiority to the devotees of Morthan Soul which would of course be totally justified and indeed to use your word proper :lol::lol::lol::lol:

flobalobbalobbalobbweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Social source share

flobalobbalobbalobbweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

link

:rolleyes: Ah, Mr JOT seeing your aviator reminds me of an old school boy joke - why did little weed grow a lot - because Bill and Ben flob a lot!!! whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Jock0, I know it was a tongue in cheek (on the face) jibe and yes, I have learnt much at the knee of Randy, Taffy and others. That said some new found Jazz Funk friends are still smiling at some of the 'new' Modern toons we are spinning as they are all old Caister biggies. Funny how things crossover whistling.gif

Social source share

Heard 2 tunes which I would like details of during Mick Farrers 2 - 3.00am slot on Saturday in the Modern Main Room,Prestatyn, one was by Nina Simone don't know the title, any chance of a list please?

link

I have now discovered the other tune which I heard on saturday night, the much talked about Hamilton Movement - She's Gone, which was in fact played by Cliff Steele who came on after Mr.Farrer, did he play the original by any chance :shades:

wish it was in my record collection, what a brilliant tune, got me on the dancefloor :thumbsup:

Social source share

Oh dear, looks like my comment has got taken the wrong way, in no way was i having a go at anyone or anything here, just really believed that someone must have played at least some of these tracks in American neighbourhoods.

link

No it just sound a ridiculously sanctimonious comment with little relevance to my post, however as suffering a seriously fuzzy head from Cleethorpes I may have read that wrongly, after all we have all done that at sometime or other on here havent we. :thumbsup:

A serious thought from your quip however is I think we would all be surprised at the sort of records that were played on radios, remember seeing some charts of Detroit radios somewhere (SOS ?) and it included some fairly obscure stuff, also remembering somebody (Ian Clark??) saying he had spoken to somebody who remembered Eddie Parker Love You Baby being played on radio when working on Ford Motors line. Would imagine it would be limited to local stations however due to various payola requirements, anybody know any more facts about this.

Not so sure about them being played so much in USA clubs as from what I have read (not a great deal to be honest) most clubs at that time were local dances or illegal drinking dens, however that would still give them some exposure.

Anybody recommend any good books or reading matter on any of this? Most of the USA soul books I have are more sociology based.

Cheers

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Hi Jocko, a few books here for you "Sweet Soul Music" by Peter Guralnick (Mojo), "Chicago Soul" by Robert Pruter (Illinois) and "Soulsville USA" by Rob Bowman (Schirmer) all mention many acts touring the States at the time of their releases ( also gave credence to me, that with their exposure in small clubs etc, that their must have been a few people buying and probably playing some of the tunes that i enjoy today).

ps.....I'm as guilty as anyone for sometimes for going off on a tangent with posts, once again my apologies, i'm far happier talking face to face :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!