Prestatyn 2005

Thursday travelled up from derby to Prestatyn to enjoy the weekend of soul,my accomodation was better than last years ,new shower in accomodation ,booking in no problem thanks to prestatyn organisers having extra night hit the dance floor stayed till 1.00. Friday night the start of the weekend.Old Vic friday saw Carl Willingham doing one of his last spots before he retires ,What can i say Carl you played the best spots of the weekend for me ,could have listened to your sounds all weekend.Wish you and your wife all the best....Saturday chilled out round the record bars some fantastic sounds for sale,Melvin Davis in the modern room was blighted by his backing track playing up.Couple of hours sleep then back to the old Vic for another session of Carl Willingham followed by Roger Banks, The Brigton Collective and The Hideaway Crew,This was a storming 4 hours of Rnb n Quality Soul that had the Old Vic buzzing, Great Crowd of soulies brill !!!!

11.30 made our way to the main room to watch the live acts ,Lorriane Chandler,Troy Keyes fantastic.

Sunday decided to head home early and think of next years event met some brill people over the weekend made some new friends.Heard some great soul music wish you all the best.

john h

Derby

Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

john h

Derby

link

Glad to hear you enjoyed it John, and it was nice to see you there...... whistling.gif

I can't really comment on the whole weekend, because I was only there saturday.

I enjoyed it in th Queen Vic listening to the R&B stuff, which isn't normally my kind of stuff......But a good atmosphere :)

Social source share

Superb weekend had a ball,got there thurs at 1pm met chalky and gilly and hit the bar with a vengance.This event just gets better and better,lots of ss members there the acts were great Troy Keyes was absolutley tremendous.To be honest no were else comes close this event now,the dj line ups blow the other weekenders out of the water,cant wait for next year. whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Boss weekend. Although I got totally bubbled on Saturday and found my self not being able to stop doing Ginger Taylor impersonations! whistling.gif

"Back oop to Cleethorpes, bringing back the memories, took in ya baggies, three before eight, it'll never be over for me, this is northern soul, and it goes sumthin like this...."

:)

Social source share

QUOTE(shute @ Mar 6 2005, 07:15 PM)

PRESTATYN. S**T...............

IMHO..........

Gonna get some sleep now..........

Transfered from SSCDT - Shute

Thinking back, maybe sounding a bit harsh there !

Did nothing for me this year, except meet loads of SS there, which was nice

Shame we didn't have a group photo when we all met up for a few mins at the bar on Saturday night.

For me the artist this year were not up to standard, IMHO.

Seen a few of them before over the years and still doing the same set but sounding older, no disrespect intended to the artist, but please give us something new, I need something new.

Respect due to The Midnight Hour Team for all the hard work they have done over the years to brink us the best weekender (IMO), BUT 2005 seemed to be mondaine, if thats the correct wording, for me.......Lets hope next year will bring something special, like in the first 3yrs of this weekender.

No dought people will argue with my comments, but hey, I don't give a sh*t this is just one old soulies personal opinion, like it or lump it

Social source share

Boss weekend., this is northern soul, and it goes sumthin like this...."

:lol:

link

Deffo darling deffo, it was the bomb.My 1st time at Prestatyn and it was wicked northern soul atmosphere at it's finest, roll on prestayn 2006, all together now;'i love northern soul' :lol::lol::lol:whistling.gif:rolleyes::lol:whistling.gif BTW both my hubbie Rob and our son Naim, really enjoyed

themselves ,music brill,people brill, cya all next year Del xx whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Little Miss Soul

What an excellent time! Saw old friends, made new ones, danced and drank my socks off. Have booked for next year and decided to make the move up to a Chalet with a microwave and towels!!

Unfortunately we could only go and stay on Sat night so it was a short weekender for us but what a great one it was. Thought Cliff Steele played a good set early Sunday morning and also quite enjoyed the Soul in the Sun set on Sat afternoon.

Social source share

............. but hey, I don't give a sh*t this is just one old soulies personal opinion, like it or lump it

link

"OLD" being the operative word, perhaps? whistling.gif

Got to say I enjoyed every minute I was there whistling.gif

Dave

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i didnt want the weekend to finish so I have opened all the windows in my flat and turned the heating off. whistling.gif

is it true that someone sold there kidneys for some more electricity tokens? whistling.gif

great weekend regardless!

shane

Social source share

Had a good 'n. Liked the modern rooms best-particularly the daytime sessions but also was pleasantly surprised by the artists as I don't usually like live acts. Loved Troy Keyes and his mate's I'm gonna change...miles better than the record and Lorraine Chandler's voice was perfection!

However, I'm too old for freezing my non existant bol***ks off for a weekend...it really was an effort trying to drag myself out of my arctic sleeping bag each day...... (looking for a shivering smiley but can't find one... brrrrrrrr)

Social source share

i didnt want the weekend to finish so I have opened all the windows in my flat and turned the heating off.  whistling.gif

is it true that someone sold there kidneys for some more electricity tokens?  whistling.gif

great weekend regardless!

shane

link

We was in Club Chalets... heating could have been on 24hrs a day (electricity is free)... but it was too hot .. so we had too keep turning it off... i even slept on top of the covers sat night, when i got in (8.30 in the morning)... booked for next year at 9 am Saturday morning .... whistling.gif

Edited by mischief
Social source share

well blinding weekend quite literley my eyes are a bit blurry still arived thurs about 6pm cant remember thurs night very much seams like a liftime away now

cracking music all weekend (apart from the main room last night moldie oldies whistling.gif:rolleyes::lol: ) but still a good atmosphere. well done to rob and the midnight hour team top stuff whistling.gif well must try and earn some money now this week spent a fourtune on records and beer whistling.gif

Social source share

i didnt want the weekend to finish so I have opened all the windows in my flat and turned the heating off. whistling.gif

is it true that someone sold there kidneys for some more electricity tokens?

think thats why butch had love slave for sale. whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest boots

We was in Club Chalets... heating could have been on 24hrs a day (electricity is free)... but it was too hot  .. so we had too keep turning it off... i even slept on top of the covers sat night, when i got in (8.30 in the morning)... booked for next year at 9 am Saturday morning ....  whistling.gif

link

HI MATE

IM STILL LAUGHING,FAB WEEKEND,SUNDAY NITE HAD TO BE THE BEST FOR ME THOU GREAT MUSIC ,HIGH WAISTED TROUSERS,SPINS,TIMS FANTASTIC DANCING,LET HER GO AND INDEED I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Social source share

Fantastic weekend!

Thanks to Steve Cato, Anna & Dave for letting me stay with them. Newly found friends! New room layouts were spot on and within easy reach of each other...

Music was glorious and the extra hour on the Sunday Finale in the modern room was a blessing! Big thanks must go to Pontins for allowing that whistling.gif

Adriana Evans - What can you say! Blew me away. Singing for the first time ever live "Looking For Your Love" Special...

Good to see the Liverpool posse of girls again too!

It was announced on the Sunday night that 2100 have already re-booked! Kinda speaks for itself...

Keep it up people!

Social source share

Fantastic weekend!

Dance floor in the oldies room was like a patchwork quilt about 300 differant levels

very disapionting The sound system in there has to be the worst one ive ever come across in my life. ive never heard such loud distortion .

Main room dance floor was good if you could find somewhere that hadn`t be destroyed by some wanker that cant dance unless they put a kilo of talc on the floor .

The service at the bars was very good so was the security but i dont think it will be worth me returning next year as i like my oldies and me dancing

ROLL ON STOKE whistling.gif

Social source share

PRESTATYN. S**T...............

IMHO..........

Gonna get some sleep now..........

Transfered from SSCDT - Shute

Thinking back, maybe sounding a bit harsh there !

Did nothing for me this year, except meet loads of SS there, which was nice

Shame we didn't have a group photo when we all met up for a few mins at the bar on Saturday night.

For me the artist this year were not up to standard, IMHO.

Seen a few of them before over the years and still doing the same set but sounding older, no disrespect intended to the artist, but please give us something new, I need something new.

Respect due to The Midnight Hour Team for all the hard work they have done over the years to brink us the best weekender (IMO), BUT 2005 seemed to be mondaine, if thats the correct wording, for me.......Lets hope next year will bring something special, like in the first 3yrs of this weekender.

No dought people will argue with my comments, but hey, I don't give a sh*t this is just one old soulies personal opinion, like it or lump it

link

What planet are you from?

You need to get life youth!

Social source share

Following on from above:

The whole weekend was fantastic. How can you say give us something new from the artists???

For f*cks sake, these people are in their 60s & 70s!

They gave me everything I wanted. I spent about 45 mins talking to Troy Keyes & Ritchie Pitt on sat night after the performance - all they kept saying to me was thank you so much, I said no I want to thank you (and countless other arists) for giving me so much pleasure over thelast 30 years.

They were absolutely gobsmacked by it all!

Many a time I have listened to a record and thought the poor sod who made this has no idea how much it's loved by all of us, so it was nice to be able to convey these sentiments to the peole who matter.

Roll on next year !!!!!

Social source share

Whilst I appreciate everyone is entitled to an opinion of the weekender I also hope that the negative comments and opinions are directed to the promoters by the posters. At the end of the day who liked what and who didn't like something else is only a personal opinion and shouting up on here without giving the promoters redress is plain ignorance. These guy's do listen to you, but if you don't tell them then they don't have the chance to change anything

Social source share

I personally had a fantastic weekend, blagged 5 free records from four dealers, well it's actually 6 as one is being posted to me this week whistling.gif Only slight down side was being hit up the back on my way home by a lorry, but the car was filthy dirty and tomorrow morning I get a brand new shiny one to replace it, so even that was a result!

Social source share

Guest hammy

Only slight down side was being hit up the back on my way home by a lorry, but the car was filthy dirty and tomorrow morning I get a brand new shiny one to replace it, so even that was a result!

link

Chalky said there wasn't even a scratch on his wagon ! whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Hammy

Social source share

Shute is entitled to his opinion,but im with steve L on this one.Ive been to the last 3 prestatyns,and thought this was every bit as good as previous years,none of the other weekenders come anywhere near prestatyn.Running an event this size must be a nightmare, and to be honest its hard enough trying to please everyone at a small venue so keeping 3000 plus happy is nigh on impossible.I think they catered for all tastes very well,the artists were very good 5 different rooms to choose from, what more could they do.Dont know what Backdrops is on about[he likes his oldies]the main room was 90% oldies,most of the stoke djs were on in the main room and redemption was 100% oldies.AS for the dance floors didnt here any one else complain[try dancingat fleetwood].All the promoters that run weekenders are to be aplauded,but prestatyn is defo the daddy

Social source share

Following on from above:

The whole weekend was fantastic. How can you say give us something new from the artists???

For f*cks sake, these people are in their 60s & 70s!

They gave me everything I wanted. I spent about 45 mins talking to Troy Keyes & Ritchie Pitt on sat night after the performance - all they kept saying to me was thank you so much, I said no I want to thank you (and countless other arists) for giving me so much pleasure over thelast 30 years.

link

Well that's great for you but not everyone is interested in the artists, I sat in the pub while they were on, to each his own, if Shute didn't think it was any good then whats it got to do with you?

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

My first one...and I'll be back!

Thanks to my roomies Chaoswomanuk and her partner James, Rachel and Paul...The Vivo boys Dave G, Paul McKay, John and Geoff....my map reader Johnny Nylon....AndyBB (you know why!)......The Brighton Collective Mya and Dave (great top Mya)..Simon Bridger and Sam for your company on Sunday.....The Record sellers especially Joe Dunlop for the freebie....John Smith (for the beer)....The Midnight Hour Crew...etc huh.gif

Social source share

Got back from weekender at ten last night..Spent Monday with Spanish soulies in Liverpool before the flight..

It was the first time over here for freinds from Barcelona and they had the time of there lives....A a few tear from thems when the Drifter was on at the end,that moment made my weekend all the more special....

Got to dj on Friday in the Queen Vic off one deck but still had a great time...Good to meet some more soul-source crowd old and new..

Highlights of the weekend.

Keith Money.....Top bloke and dj....

Queen Vic.. .....Nice place to meet up and some top tunes.

Spanish crowd..Great bunch of stylish folk and very nice company throughout

Dave...............Thanks for the lift and being a good all round bloke

Rachel..............The smile on her face said it all..

soul-sam...........Good to meet and stay with a new soul source member,nice one..

Management.....Thanks for the extra time on the Sunday night

Carling.............Thanks for letting me have them 50 pints at all hours..

Ana..................Letting me share her toothbrush :wicked::yes::yes:

Olof and the swedish crowd...good folk indeed and always buy a round :ohmy:

Carl Willingham...We will all miss him and his tunes so much

Joe Dunlop........Fu"king crackers and always make me smile..

the crowd..........Lots of very very happy people...

Downside...

Tha fu"king arcade thing..Its not nice walking through there on red bull :yes:

Police squad.... You could ring before you swoop on folk,not very polite :yes:

promoters........Only four days...Can we have a weeker next year :P:P

Some would say that the music could have been better but some will never be happy....If you did not find it in 5 rooms then you should stay at home...Looking forward to more of the same at Cleethorpes....

rev..Kenny Lynch...peace be with you my children...

Social source share

Main problem was that the music policy in the main room seemed to have changed drastically this year, and it was not a change for the better that's for sure. Dancefloor in main room very good, no complaints from me there, flat and smooth and wooden. I occasionally like a bit of talcum myself, but only a bit and not the ridiculous amounts I saw some use, literally small piles of it. Talcum not something that worries me too much though, the sound in the main room did however since it was probably THE worst and poorest sound I have ever experienced in my life, a true scandal! Either there was no sound engineer present at all (I tried several times to find one actually but none could be found! :wicked: ) or he was completely useless. I would not have mentioned it if it had been some minor and occasional disturbances but this was truly catastrophical, pretty much ruined the whole weekend for me, even the good music that was played was ruined by the poor sound. I could probably have fixed it myself in no time at all but did not dare. The connoisseurs night did offer some really good sounds (thanks guys) but was pretty much a cock up this year, two cancelled DJ's that I had really wanted to hear, extended big screen football, schedule thrown out of the window apparently and not at all adhered to and far too many well known (albeit good) classics played, stuff that should instead have been played in the main hall, like last year. I feel ripped off and very disappointed and sad about it all. Last year was truly superb, this year not quite the same thing. I really believed in this event.

A very disappointed and angry PAYING punter who went through the trouble and expense of travelling from another country expecting a weekender as good as the one of 2004.

Social source share

Please allow me to add my tuppence worth in a (hopefully) constructive way.

After being disappointed at the general quality of music last year, I really wasn't looking forward to this weekend, expecting it to be more of a social occasion.

Carl Willingham's set in the pub was the first thing I walked into. It made me perk up and I danced to nearly every record he played.

This weekend made me realise exactly how much of a hole Carl's departure is going to leave. His absence will hit the scene two fold in that not only will we desperately miss one of the foremost, bookable diggers and bravehearts in the progression of the soul scene, but also that there'll now be even less creativity as big DJ's look to chase the same records on seemingly increasingly limited playlists.

The main room and 'Redemption' played, between them, 95% oldies and commanded 90% of the total crowd. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but on a scene that's managed to last for over 30 years(including the period when Stafford and 6T's valiantly dragged it through the 80's), drawing from a musical heritage that covers over a decade, it seems criminal that we have to resort to oldies.

We must all be terribly misguided if we think that 'Northern Soul' comprises of a proportionately tiny pool of records. I refuse to believe that we can count ourselves as real 'soul' fans if we're happy to be dealt the same washed out 'biggies' every week. Surely, proclaiming allegiance to soul(in a 'Northern', 60's sense) should be a celebration of the whole immense catalogue.

Regardless of whether a record is expensive or 2 a penny, the volume of quality, heartbreaking, floor-pounding soul available to us all is staggering. Probably considerably more in fact than any other genre to date. Over the weekend, I saw better, lesser known, more inspiring records in sales boxes than those laid on the decks.

There were of course exceptions, 4/5 DJ's playing sets of staggering unknowns, one-offs and lesser played records, but the majority of them were sadly given a late billing that few were willing and able to stay awake for.

Also from what I can gather (correct me if I’m wrong), quality DJ’s were turned down on political pressure from other DJ’s. Their exclusion was sadly to the detriment of the weekender.

Granted, the ‘crossover’ room played some exciting things, but that was usually empty by about 3/4am. Spent most of Friday night in there listening to some cracking stuff together with another 7 interested people.

Sad that, again, the best, most creative sets were in the pub. Shame, cos I’d have thought they’d have learnt that after last time…

Cleethorpes really doesn't have anything to worry about in terms of being the only soul weekender worth it's salt in terms of quality and atmosphere.

Needless to say I haven’t booked again for next year. Though doubtless 3000 already have.

For me, Prestatyn signalled why Northern Soul in the North of England has largely become more about a tattoo and patch culture than the actual music. A parody of it's own past. From someone so relatively young, if this weekend was a snapshot of the current soul music scene in general, I expect it to gain very few young people for a sustainable amount of time.

I'd like to point out that this post isn't supposed to be a defamation of the promoters as much as it is a subjective overview of the state of the scene in general…

It seems many enjoyed the experience.

This was the weekend I lost 'the faith'.

Social source share

I have been to Cleethorpes many times, and last years Prestatyn was IMO totally superior musically (the main room that is) to any of the Cleethorpes weekenders I have been to, and that's what most of my friends who came with me thought too. The first Cleethorpes ones I went to were very good, then it changed, not just the music but also the crowd and atmosphere seemed to change, and the last one I attended (2003) was really disappointing and therefore I did not go in 2004. If I ever hear the Tams "Hey Girl Don't Bother Me", Gladys Knight "Everybody Needs Love" or certain Impressions tracks ever again I will probably kill someone with my bare hands or spontaneously combust or something. I am planning to possibly go back to Cleethopres and other events sometime though for social reasons and selling, buying and trading records. I think last years Prestatyn was really good in the main room most of the time, OK most of the best sets were on late when not too many people were still around, but still some fantastic music to be heard and even the oldies sets were mostly good. This year was very different even if there was a lot of good music played by some DJ's which I thank them for, but some usually good DJ's did the poorest and most uninspired sets I have heard them do. I even thought some DJ's looked sad up there behind the decks and I don't blame them. It had all been more endurable and enjoyable though had not the sound been so horrible. The sound has usually been horrible at most UK events I have been to, but this time it was really bad.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest rachel

link

I told you, it was all the bananas I ate, they are very good for you :yes:

Got to say I think I went into the weekender with the right attitude - didn't expect to be astounded musically, just to enjoy spending time with some great people to a background of the sounds we love. Having said that, musical highlights for me were the 'connoisseurs' session on Sunday night and some very nice stuff played in the main room (it's always nice to hear records you own played out in a big venue, for me was fantastic to hear the Commands - Hey It's Love (think the other side was played too)). Not a big R&B fan but the atmosphere in the Queen Vic on Saturday and Redemption on Sunday was brilliant :wicked:

Completely missed the live acts, too busy blethering to Karen and Pete in the pub... Really enjoyed catching up with and meeting people - too many to mention and I'd probably miss someone out so I won't - so much that the number of tunes I danced to was probably only just into double figures.

I would happily do it all again next weekend... :yes:

Rachel

Social source share

Got back from weekender at ten last night..Spent Monday with Spanish soulies in Liverpool before the flight..

It was the first time over here for freinds from Barcelona and they had the time of there lives....A  a few tear from thems when the Drifter was on at the end,that moment made my weekend all the more special....

Got to dj on Friday in the Queen Vic off one deck but still had a great time...Good to meet some more soul-source crowd old and new..

Highlights of the weekend.

Keith Money.....Top bloke and dj....

Queen Vic.. .....Nice place to meet up and some top tunes.

Spanish crowd..Great bunch of stylish folk and very nice company throughout

Dave...............Thanks for the lift and being a good all round bloke

soul-sam...........Good to meet and stay with a new soul source member,nice one..

Management.....Thanks for the extra time on the Sunday night

Carling.............Thanks for letting me have them 50 pints at all hours..

Ana..................Letting me share her toothbrush :yes:   :yes:   :wicked:

Olof and the swedish crowd...good folk indeed and always buy a round :yes:

Carl Willingham...We will all miss him and his tunes so much

Joe Dunlop........Fu"king crackers and always make me smile..

the crowd..........Lots of very very happy people...

Downside...

Tha fu"king arcade thing..Its not nice walking through there on red bull :ohmy:

Police squad.... You could ring before you swoop on folk,not very polite :yes:

promoters........Only four days...Can we have a weeker next year :P   :P

Some would say that the music could have been better but some will never be happy....If you did not find it in 5 rooms then you should stay at home...Looking forward to more of the same at Cleethorpes....

rev..Kenny Lynch...peace be with you my children...

link

Police squad, you could ring before you swoop on folk, not very polite.

Right on Steve, I personally didn't see anyone, for what i heard, some wanker did a line of George on an edge of a chair, and was caught on CCTV. He could not be a soulie, cos if he was, he wants a good kick up the arse. I just hope it don't make waves at a later date. I know Im being blunt, but i think you agree with me.

Billy

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on the weekend.But how can anyone possibly feel ripped off, really?

A chalet, 3 days and nights of music and all for less than the price of a pair of decent socks!

I dunno, do you want jam on it?

Social source share

Guest becky c

Had a super duper time, sunday night in the pub definately the best part. Might buy a few more jumpers for next year though :wicked:

Social source share

Thoroughly enjoyed myself for a change....

Didn't see any of the acts, but from the bar area the sound was really flat, but that didn't worry me as I was too busy having a good old natter.

Drunken phrase of the weekend: "Horse, you are a f*cking disgrace" over the mic after he had drunkenly miscued about the third record in his spot.

WOOF!

Social source share

Even though I personly thought last years was far better, how can anyone say that they had been ripped off this time.....and for the price, well fcuk me its only like buying a 45 by todays standards....and I would like to know where Andy BB get his socks from at that price ?..LOL

Social source share

Even though I personly thought last years was far better, how can anyone say that they had been ripped off this time.....and for the price, well fcuk me its only like buying a 45 by todays standards....and I would like to know where Andy BB get his socks from at that price ?..LOL

IGNORE THIS POST AS POSTED TWICE BY MISTAKE........P***ED AGAIN :wicked:

Edited by shute
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on the weekend.But how can anyone possibly feel ripped off, really?

A chalet, 3 days and nights of music and all for less than the price of a pair of decent socks!

I dunno, do you want jam on it?

link

Andy, let me know where you get your socks from. I paid 80 quid for my last pair! :wicked:

I believe you get excellent value for money at Prestatyn. I had a really good time. As I spent most of the time in the record room I can only comment on the music being played in the big room. I have to say I wasnt over impressed but it wasnt too bad. I love the whole vibe of the Prestatyn weekender and the choice if fantastic. I very rarely had to queue for a drink too considering the high volume of punters. I am never that bothered about live acts but lots of people are so well done to all involved.

As the demand is growing each year, how about another weekender in maybe October?

For me though the music is not as important as an allnighter. I just love meeting up with friends and having a good laugh. Its great to leave the car alone for a few days and forget about everything and just get hammered!

Shane

:yes:

Social source share

Andy, let me know where you get your socks from. I paid 80 quid for my last pair!  :wicked:

I believe you get excellent value for money at Prestatyn. I had a really good time. As I spent most of the time in the record room I can only comment on the music being played in the big room. I have to say I wasnt over impressed but it wasnt too bad. I love the whole vibe of the Prestatyn weekender and the choice if fantastic. I very rarely had to queue for a drink too considering the high volume of punters. I am never that bothered about live acts but lots of people are so well done to all involved.

As the demand is growing each year, how about another weekender in maybe October?

For me though the music is not as important as an allnighter. I just love meeting up with friends and having a good laugh. Its great to leave the car alone for a few days and forget about everything and just get hammered!

Shane

:yes:

link

Don't let it go to your head, but I think you've summed it up quite well there mate. :yes:

Certainly more sense than you were making in our last conversation on Sunday night :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

a top weekend with out a doubt,

what was all the commotion with the police? saw one of them carrying what looked like a big bag of talc away (have the bastard talc police finally swooped) :wicked: also heard there was a big police check area up the road were they breath tested some people on there way home Sunday afternoon , is this the norm now?

but still had a fantastic weekend (even our accommadation was good this year) :yes:

...........Andrew

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Don't let it go to your head, but I think you've summed it up quite well there mate. :wicked:

Certainly more sense than you were making in our last conversation on Sunday night  :yes:

link

i cant remember seeing you sunday night Dave?

Sunday was the messiest for sure. :yes:

Shane

Social source share

It does not matter how cheap it is, if the sound quality is less than SHIT all weekend, it can never be value for money when that is the case, people should get paid for the suffering endured if anything. I feel ripped off since last year was very good and I feel ripped off since I expected this year to be another really good event and it was not. I also wonder why even bother to put on events that end at 0800 in the morning when the vast majority goes to bed at around 03.00 or so anyway? Would it not be better to just end the event at 03.00 or 04.00 and play good music all the time to a busy dancefloor? There was frequently less than 15 people on the dancefloor in the main hall during certain hours, that's not exactly what I call atmosphere, the situation was the same last year, and it has been the same at other large events I have been to so nothing unusual there, but at least the music was better last year. I checked in many of the other rooms too and the modern room was very busy and had a great danefloor and atmosphere during some periods (better than main room I'd say), and some periods it was pretty quiet, some of the smaller arenas were often also very sparsely populated when I had a look.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

It does not matter how cheap it is, if the sound quality is less than SHIT all weekend, it can never be value for money when that is the case, people should get paid for the suffering endured if anything. I feel ripped off since last year was very good and I feel ripped off since I expected this year to be another really good event and it was not. I also wonder why even bother to put on events that end at 0800 in the morning when the vast majority goes to bed at around 03.00 or so anyway? Would it not be better to just end the event at 03.00 or 04.00 and play good music all the time to a busy dancefloor? There was frequently less than 15 people on the dancefloor in the main hall during certain hours, that's not exactly what I call atmosphere, the situation was the same last year, and it has been the same at other large events I have been to so nothing unusual there, but at least the music was better last year. I checked in many of the other rooms too and the modern room was very busy and had a great danefloor and atmosphere during some periods (better than main room I'd say), and some periods it was pretty quiet, some of the smaller arenas were often also very sparsely populated when I had a look.

link

hit the bottle next time Christian. I am back at work tomorrow now that is 'less than shit' as you put it.

What is that old saying 'if you can remember what happened you were not there'

Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy mate. You are usually very optimistic as well :wicked:

Only joking. Dont let it put you off.

Shane

Social source share

I also wonder why even bother to put on events that end at 0800 in the morning when the vast majority goes to bed at around 03.00 or so anyway? Would it not be better to just end the event at 03.00 or 04.00 and play good music all the time to a busy dancefloor? There was frequently less than 15 people on the dancefloor in the main hall during certain hours, that's not exactly what I call atmosphere,

link

Do you actually go out with the intention of ENJOYING YOURSELF ?

As for less than fifteen people on the dancefloor ? Well I can certainly say there were a lot more than that between 6 and 7 on the Friday night.

Social source share

That is true Dave, I was there for the first part of your set and you drew people back onto the floor. It was not too busy during some other spots though. I do go out with the intention of enjoying myself, and with the intention of having a good time, hence my huge disappointment when my expectations are not fulfilled.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Musical highs for me: spots by Carl Willingham, Arthur Fenn & Steve Hobbs.

Musical lows for me: The last hour on Sunday morning 7-8am. An hour that mainly consisted of 100 mph Wigan Stompers. The crowd at that time was small and after 2 all niters it basically consisted of the walking wounded. Something a little more mid tempo or spititually uplifting would have been appreciated.

In the modern room Sunday evening 1 DJ started his set & then interupted his first record on 3 seperate occasions to chat & do requests. I noted that the 3rd interuption was for a dedication for a group of people who had missed the week-ender. I've never seen such an angry reaction on the dance floor.

Still the highs far out weighed the lows.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!