Ian Clark-top Man Or What

Dave Thorley

I was in Ben's Records, Guildford today and telling Ben about the topic on Ian and how admired he is on the scene.

Ian and Ben go back a long way. I've bumped this so that Ben can read all about his old mate.

Pat

Hi Pat

Did you pick anything nice up in Ben's then?

Derek

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

My favourite DJ of all time :rolleyes: and a top guy too.

Would love for him to spin some tunes again.

Ian used to make the 100 club for me in the 80s..

So many brilliant records played.. Young Brothers.. Whats your game . took some beating !

A true gent of the scene.

Social source share

• 11 years later...
Guest Soul Hippy

Nice to have the opportunity to put something on here Dave. Sorry to be a straggler, still its only 12 years! For me as a young aspiring DJ Ians taste & delivery on the decks were a masterclass.  His spots at the 100 club were the best I ever heard anywhere. A lovely man, always encouraging and always on the level, made you feel like you belonged. Brilliant and subtle. My utmost respect & very definately my fave Northern Soul DJ of all time, based on my experiences in the 80s. That just about covers it 😁

Best wishes 

Pete Crampton

Jackie Beavers - I Need My Baby, Eric Mercury - Lonely Girl, Nicky Newarkers - Woman

Edited by Soul Hippy
Social source share

He certainly was the man at Yate, up with the best of them. Always had time for people, a great roll model and someone to look up to, he did miss the train a few times so Yate lacked on those nights. Got a few nice group photos away from nighters when he would visit Burton on Trent 

Social source share

9 hours ago, Phathom Janitor said:

All can be said excellent dj spots at 100 club & not forgetting TOP OF THE WORLD Stafford . Jst a genuine compliment to Dave Thorley .I can't think of a bad dj that was ever booked at TOTW.without exception 👍👍👍.& for those unlucky enough to have not attended.take it from me !!! Had Dave not had the vision back then with the quality of music played then the scene today would not be as it is today !!!

Totally agree with you on that,for me Stafford put soul back into the scene. Chris. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Very under rated dj and collector who could have given any dj a run for his money. A great guy to buy records from and always had great stuff from him. The vast array of obscure 45s that were in his sales boxes was a thing to behold and if you picked them out he appreciated the fact that like him you were after the more off the wall obscure tracks like him. An all round good bloke and always liked the odd chat we had.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

When living in Guilford Ian would often come up to Norwich and either support or dj at local gigs in in Norwich, having roots in Norfolk I got to know him better when he moved back and often popped to see him and buy a few records, he would often have titles I had not seen before, some of which I have not really seen since. Ian is also into his military memrobilia, I remember joking with him and asked if he was having trouble with the neighbors, he only had this giant shoulder mounted bazooka in his hallway! he laughed whispering 'don't tell anyone'. Sort of lost touch really, which is a shame as he is only half an hour's drive away. Always looked to be inavative with the music, just how I like it. A significant contribution to the scene.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Top bloke. I first met Ian at various venues pre 100 club. I also went a couple of times to Yate but  never chatted, but I also met him many times at various Record Tape & Exchange shops and we exchanged record talk he was helpful & friendly.. I don't know what he bought, but  45's-  & 12"- both imports & the soul funk  UK promos were in abundance. A funny story one night at 100 club allnighter Adey let a load of non DJ's have a spot, me included, as I went up to Ian to say hello he said " there's a right bunch DJing tonight. "I know" I replied "I've a spot." He was right but I enjoyed myself and even early doors a few danced. I've also bought quite a few sales of him  in recent years always excellent condition and packaged. A true gent.

Social source share

.....and the white and red socks, I think the white one was on his left foot, the red one on the right foot. A lovely man and always great to talk to. He helped a lot with Blackbeat on the art side with what he called "Crappographics" - so Ian that - when he was at Imperial College, a long time ago. I hear he has retired from the B&B business a few years ago.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Clarky top man at Yate and 100 club early 80ts - brought off him SS Demo Long After tonight is all over he told me the run in is warped but plays ok £7 later got it - over 35 years later still play it 2 record from end of spot 👍🏻👍🏻

Am sure Ian djed at the Wooden Bridge soul nights Guildford about 76 ? 

Edited by Zoomsoulblue
Social source share

Would get the occasional record listings off of him...would run through them as quick as i could before phoning and hoping that the stand out items hadn't been snapped up. On a few occasions i ordered quite a few sounds and upon receipt of the delivery, there would be a 'freebie' that Ian had included! I felt quite privileged....a nice guy to talk to aswell!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!