Rock Foundation Soul Club Rushden Northants

Guest AndyL

Post if you attended the Rock Foundation Soul Club in Rushden Northants in the mid 70's

cheers

Andy Luck

Edited by AndyL
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest martinsbox

Post if you attended the Rock Foundation Soul Club in Rushden Northants in the mid 70's

cheers

Andy Luck

Hi Andy,

I used to go there in the '77 possibly '78 period. Place used to get packed. No alcohol, only coke and sweets were sold. On a hot night they had the back door open and it used to look over a field of stinging nettles (remember the 'hall' part of The Rock Foundation' was up some stairs!

We used to play 'chop sticks' on the piano on the stage after the night had finished!

Thumbed it back one night (morning), with Crip, I think we walked the whole distance from Rushden to Bedford . . . stopped off at The Castaways and listened to "Young hearts run free' which was playing at the time!!!

Looking at an old flier I still have (printed on Robert Marriot Limited lined paper), d.j.'s at the time included:-

Rug from Higham, Hammy from Bedford, Crip from Bedford, Nick from Rushden, Karl from Kettering, and Danny from Higham.

Martin

p.s. I should be able to just walk straight back in if there is ever another Soul do there, I've still got an original 'pass out' from one of the nights there!!!!! :lol::thumbsup:

post-2262-1193991636_thumb.jpg

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

cheers

Andy Luck

Used to go there before St Ives Alnighters in 77.Was always packed.Wasnt Lester Tipton first played (by Rug) there ?

Can't remember attending after 77 or possibly early 78 when if memory serves me well things shifted to The Queen Vic ?

Social source share

Hi Andy,

I used to go there in the '77 possibly '78 period. Place used to get packed. No alcohol, only coke and sweets were sold. On a hot night they had the back door open and it used to look over a field of stinging nettles (remember the 'hall' part of The Rock Foundation' was up some stairs!

We used to play 'chop sticks' on the piano on the stage after the night had finished!

Thumbed it back one night (morning), with Crip, I think we walked the whole distance from Rushden to Bedford . . . stopped off at The Castaways and listened to "Young hearts run free' which was playing at the time!!!

Looking at an old flier I still have (printed on Robert Marriot Limited lined paper), d.j.'s at the time included:-

Rug from Higham, Hammy from Bedford, Crip from Bedford, Nick from Rushden, Karl from Kettering, and Danny from Higham.

Martin

p.s. I should be able to just walk straight back in if there is ever another Soul do there, I've still got an original 'pass out' from one of the nights there!!!!! :lol::thumbsup:

hi there thanks for replying i will reply in more depth later as i'm at work :thumbup:

Great to here from you though

The reason for this post is that i am trying to get a reunion for sometime March/April next year.

Try Silk's at Wellingborough on Sat Nov 24th GREAT MIDTEMPO SOUL

Social source share

Used to go there before St Ives Alnighters in 77.Was always packed.Wasnt Lester Tipton first played (by Rug) there ?

Can't remember attending after 77 or possibly early 78 when if memory serves me well things shifted to The Queen Vic ?

Hi yes Rug was first to play Lester Tipton amongst other sounds ie Freddie Williams at "The Rock"

Rug and Danny Smith both sadly died last year

Best

Andy

Social source share

Hi Andy,

Martin

p.s. I should be able to just walk straight back in if there is ever another Soul do there, I've still got an original 'pass out' from one of the nights there!!!!! :lol:biggrin.gif

Hi Mate

My cousin John Warren and i ran the Rock he is in Aussie now but came back in August for his 50th we held a Reunion at the Pemberton.

I promised him i would cary it on at leat once yearly hence the post to try to find more old Rock soulies

You mention Crip! I havent seen crip in years . Do you know how to contact him?

That scruffy Marriott paper was mine together with the awful handwriting.

Its interesting to see the Dj list Tony Parker and Carl Boddington still promote and Dj.

Tony gets rave reviews for his Dj'ing and rightly so. Carl hold successful soul nights around Northants Desboro being one of them.

Its great to hear from yourself and Martyn. I will keep you posted as to developments in the future.

Regards

Andy Luck :(

Social source share

Guest boddington

Hi Andy,

Martin

p.s. I should be able to just walk straight back in if there is ever another Soul do there, I've still got an original 'pass out' from one of the nights there!!!!! :rolleyes::D

Hi Martin! Your old friend from Kettering now. In those days of the 70's got the Bus from Broughton a little village between Northampton and kettering, i changed bus at kett and got on to the Bedford bus to Rushden had some great nights at the rock.Every time i went behind the decks to DJ: Guess what Rug and Sid would try and make my records jump, they where DEVIL'S IN THOSE DAYS.

Social source share

Guest boddington

Hi Mate

My cousin John Warren and i ran the Rock he is in Aussie now but came back in August for his 50th we held a Reunion at the Pemberton.

I promised him i would cary it on at leat once yearly hence the post to try to find more old Rock soulies

You mention Crip! I havent seen crip in years . Do you know how to contact him?

That scruffy Marriott paper was mine together with the awful handwriting.

Its interesting to see the Dj list Tony Parker and Carl Boddington still promote and Dj.

Tony gets rave reviews for his Dj'ing and rightly so. Carl hold successful soul nights around Northants Desboro being one of them.

Its great to hear from yourself and Martyn. I will keep you posted as to developments in the future.

Regards

Andy Luck :thumbsup:

Hi Andy. the DJ's who i can remember at the Rock Foundation are RUG, HAMMIE, TONY PARKER, SID, PHIL ATTLEY, CRIP, JOHN WARREN, MY SELF KARL BODDINGTON. ITS BEING A LONG TIME AGO. FOR ME IT WAS SMALL DARK ROOM WITH GREAT MEMORIES. HEAR IS ONE OR TWO RECORDS THAT I PLAYED. JUDY FREEMAN- HOLD ON, MATT LUCUS - BABY BETTER GO GO. KENNY SMITH- LORD WHAT'S HAPPENING TO YOUR PEOPLE. THE CHAUMONTS- I NEED YOUR LOVE. DETROIT EXECUTIVES- COOL OFF. EXUS TREK- LUTHER INGRAM ORCH. DENA BARNES----I COULD GO ON AND ON. SORRY IF I HAVE MISSED SOME DJ'S OUT?

Social source share

cheers

Andy Luck

Hi Andy , lots of fond memories from those days ...was only a very young whippersnapper in those days 14 or 15 years old but was mad for the music :thumbup: ...was in awe of the bigger boys naturally....remember Paul Morron (Moggsy) being quite a lad. Living in Higham i invariably ended up walking home with him as He lived just off Higham hill....He used to tell me about all the records he had ....never did get to see them :thumbsup: but he did give me a copy of Robby Lawson ..Burning sensation on pink Kyser label (boot)....remember playing it about a 100 times when i got home thought it was brilliant....although think me Mum and Dad werent so impressed !

Social source share

Hi Andy , lots of fond memories from those days ...was only a very young whippersnapper in those days 14 or 15 years old but was mad for the music :D ...was in awe of the bigger boys naturally....remember Paul Morron (Moggsy) being quite a lad. Living in Higham i invariably ended up walking home with him as He lived just off Higham hill....He used to tell me about all the records he had ....never did get to see them unsure.gif but he did give me a copy of Robby Lawson ..Burning sensation on pink Kyser label (boot)....remember playing it about a 100 times when i got home thought it was brilliant....although think me Mum and Dad werent so impressed !

cheers Jem i think all that knew moggsy has some memories of him i remember the time when was in his car on way to bedford ... crash

and the only time he came to Blsckpool Mecca with us !! Im sure Phil remembers that lol

Also the on and only Nick ballard Kimbo was talking to me about him last week too

It all seems such a long time ago now

Social source share

Hi Andy. the DJ's who i can remember at the Rock Foundation are RUG, HAMMIE, TONY PARKER, SID, PHIL ATTLEY, CRIP, JOHN WARREN, MY SELF KARL BODDINGTON. ITS BEING A LONG TIME AGO. FOR ME IT WAS SMALL DARK ROOM WITH GREAT MEMORIES. HEAR IS ONE OR TWO RECORDS THAT I PLAYED. JUDY FREEMAN- HOLD ON, MATT LUCUS - BABY BETTER GO GO. KENNY SMITH- LORD WHAT'S HAPPENING TO YOUR PEOPLE. THE CHAUMONTS- I NEED YOUR LOVE. DETROIT EXECUTIVES- COOL OFF. EXUS TREK- LUTHER INGRAM ORCH. DENA BARNES----I COULD GO ON AND ON. SORRY IF I HAVE MISSED SOME DJ'S OUT?

yes i remember you playing them

Rug bless him played the following Life - Tell me why, Lester Tipton - This wont change, George Blackwell - Cant lose my head, Freddie Williams - I got to live while i can, Susan Barrett - What's it gonna be, Ernie Andrews - Fine young girl, Linda Jones - Just cant live my life and My heart needs a break amongst others

Sid with me sitting next to him lol played his stuff plus mine and John's whic included Ronnie McNeir - Sitting in my class, Idle Few - People thats why, Dana Valery - You dont know where your interest lies , Rock Candy - Alone with no love, Joe Frazier - First Round Knockout, Jeanette Williams - All of a sudden and Something goods gotta hold of me, Total Eclipse - you took our heart, Percy WIggins - It didnt take much, Garnett Mimms - Looking for you, Herbie Hunter - i was born to love you, Pookie Hudson - This gets to me, Norma Jenkins - can you imagine that, Keanya Collins - Love Bandit, Jobell Orchestra - Never gonna let you go, Might Lover - Mighty Lovers amongst others

Wilkie played the wonderfull Warren Shatz - Soon everything is gonna be alright

Please other DJ's or punters give me names of other tracks played there by the following:-

Tony Parker

Crip

Nick Ballard

Phil

Tank

Social source share

cheers Jem i think all that knew moggsy has some memories of him i remember the time when was in his car on way to bedford ... crash

and the only time he came to Blsckpool Mecca with us !! Im sure Phil remembers that lol

Also the on and only Nick ballard Kimbo was talking to me about him last week too

Social source share

That's because it was!..."Tell me more about the war grandad" :lol:

Len.

"SILK" Rare Soul Night Midland Road, Wellingborough Northants NN8 1HF Saturday 24th November 2007 DJS - JOHN MANSHIP - MARK BICKNELL - DAVE GREET (YATE) - Plus resident - LENNY DOPSON- Info - 07970 361216

*****PLAYING 'DAMN' GOOD SOUL MUSIC!!!*****

*FREE 'LIVE' CD OF THE EMBANKMENT CLUB'S FINAL HOUR TO FIRST 100 THROUGH THE DOOR.*

YES IT WAS ALL FIELDS AROUND HERE THEN AS WELL LEN AND THE RAG AND BONE MAN USED TO CALL EVERY WEEK ....WONDERFUL TIMES I CAN ASSURE YOU :lol:

Social source share

YES IT WAS ALL FIELDS AROUND HERE THEN AS WELL LEN AND THE RAG AND BONE MAN USED TO CALL EVERY WEEK ....WONDERFUL TIMES I CAN ASSURE YOU :D

yes is it nice to be young Len lol

I think moggsy was the rag and bone man lol

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy & All,

Locals will know I moved to London shortly after you started the Rock Foundation, but I did DJ a couple of times (as Phil's photo posts testify!!)

Tony P, Rug, Phil, Sid and Danny really did have some top rare sounds back then, but I was really getting into new Modern stuff regardless of value. Phil and I were also in a minority of playing album only tracks (at the time considered strictly un-PC!!)

I'd be lying to remember any playlists from the time, but date-line wise I know I was into things like Shirley Brown "I Can't Give You Up" (UK only 45 release-and a freebie from Crip!), Eleanor Mills "Stop Accusing Me" LP, Bobby Womack "Something For My Head" LP, Whispers "One For The Money", Coke Escovedo "Rebirth", Freddie Hughes "Don't You Leave", Teddy Pendergrass "More I Get, More I Want" etc.

Also remember the barrackings from Smudge & Lance et al to play Parliament, Brass Construction, Hidden Strength etc. Politics eh? Still abounds now!!!!!

Cheers!

Social source share

Hi Andy & All,

Locals will know I moved to London shortly after you started the Rock Foundation, but I did DJ a couple of times (as Phil's photo posts testify!!)

Tony P, Rug, Phil, Sid and Danny really did have some top rare sounds back then, but I was really getting into new Modern stuff regardless of value. Phil and I were also in a minority of playing album only tracks (at the time considered strictly un-PC!!)

I'd be lying to remember any playlists from the time, but date-line wise I know I was into things like Shirley Brown "I Can't Give You Up" (UK only 45 release-and a freebie from Crip!), Eleanor Mills "Stop Accusing Me" LP, Bobby Womack "Something For My Head" LP, Whispers "One For The Money", Coke Escovedo "Rebirth", Freddie Hughes "Don't You Leave", Teddy Pendergrass "More I Get, More I Want" etc.

Also remember the barrackings from Smudge & Lance et al to play Parliament, Brass Construction, Hidden Strength etc. Politics eh? Still abounds now!!!!!

Cheers!

Thanks Tank

I remember it very well , alos remember you playing stolen hours - patrice Holoway atr Moor Road youth club when it was relatively unknown and sandra richardson - stay here with me played on same night

Anyone else who attended and remember what was played please feel free to post.

Does anyone know Crip Carlines whereabouts?

Andy

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Got my first soul legs at the Rock. Must have been 11 or 12 at the time. I remember just starting Rushden Boys School at the time. Had so many great nights. The night the Bikers came down. Used to love that place. Much better than the Queen Vic. in my opinion.

Regards to all that were there

Gabby

Social source share

• 3 years later...
Guest rushden

ROLL UP ROLL UP

It is that time F------K     40 yr Re- union who would believe all those years and the  music still so invigorating!

Jem Brittin & Andy Luck have  offered  kindly too  help put this Reunion planned  for august 2016 together !

INFO BE ON HERE

https://www.facebook.com/groups/421696258641/?fref=ts

The aim is to bring us back together so any help be appreciated !

best John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!