Frank Wilson, Kenny Burrell & Record Collector

Pete S

I'm quoting this directly from a feature on the Beatin Rhythm record shop in Manchester, published in this months Record Collector magazine..

"In terms of high ticket items, owner Martin Koppell sold his copy of Frank Wilsons Do I Love you to jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell for £15,000"

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm quoting this directly from a feature on the Beatin Rhythm record shop in Manchester, published in this months Record Collector magazine..

"In terms of high ticket items, owner Martin Koppell sold his copy of Frank Wilsons Do I Love you to jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell for £15,000"

Hope he plays guitar better than he dances lol !!

Mark Chamberlin

Social source share

Now that is funny on one level. :thumbsup:

On another though it just goes to show how far Record Collecta has sunk, and why I no longer bother buying it. It's doomed to go the same way as Blues and Soul unless they pull their pants up and start reporting properly.

Still it gave me a larf I spose.

Social source share

Now that is funny on one level. :thumbsup:

On another though it just goes to show how far Record Collecta has sunk, and why I no longer bother buying it. It's doomed to go the same way as Blues and Soul unless they pull their pants up and start reporting properly.

Still it gave me a larf I spose.

Kenny did a mean version of "BURNING SPEAR" on Verve. It always made me laugh every time I played it. Not that funny really, there again...

With regard to RC, I always seem to end up buying it, habit I guess. This will be something to look foward to :lol: . The Kenny Burrell thing you could'nt make up and begs the question as to how accurate they are about other types of music where I would'nt know my Wimple Witch from my Misunderstood if you know what I mean.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Magic :rolleyes::lol::ohmy: Welcome to Jazz Club, smoooooth!!

Rich

Social source share

and i was bought a soul icons book for xmas

and the George Clinton page

said that the parliaments recorded for Motown and only had one hit "i wanna Testify"

Motown may wish to claim on lost royalties :rolleyes:

Social source share

Kenny did a mean version of "BURNING SPEAR" on Verve. It always made me laugh every time I played it. Not that funny really, there again...

With regard to RC, I always seem to end up buying it, habit I guess. This will be something to look foward to :thumbsup: . The Kenny Burrell thing you could'nt make up and begs the question as to how accurate they are about other types of music where I would'nt know my Wimple Witch from my Misunderstood if you know what I mean.

Regards

Alan

Why? There's been absolutely NO soul for at least 6 months!!!

I've finally accepted that they (R.C) hate soul!

Social source share

Why? There's been absolutely NO soul for at least 6 months!!!

I've finally accepted that they (R.C) hate soul!

I have bought it since issue 6 in 1979, though I got it free for 5 or 6 years when I used to write for them and do the price guide, but I buy it now becauseI'm interested in rare records of all genres not just soul, always have been, which is why I could paste the lot of you at pop quiz :thumbsup:

Social source share

With regard to RC, I always seem to end up buying it, habit I guess. This will be something to look foward to :lol: . The Kenny Burrell thing you could'nt make up and begs the question as to how accurate they are about other types of music where I would'nt know my Wimple Witch from my Misunderstood if you know what I mean.

Regards

Alan

It is a brilliant version of Burning spear, I'll second that! His jazz LPs for Blue Note are nice too and had original covers designerd by andy warhol, who, according to my local Yellow Pages, is now a Paver based in Mosborough. :lol:

F**king unbelievable miss-assumption really, i've noticed loads of mistakes in RC over the years...they seem to know about rare psych & prog rock and big artists (for which they just hire in the worlds most top nerdy one-artist obsessives for info), bunch of clowns.

When you actually know a bit about a subject and see what bullshit is written about it, it makes you wonder how much bullshit you read and take as fact about subjects you know little about.

Edited by rachel
unedited swearword against site guidelines
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Go on ,then Pierre---just for a laugh (pop quiz--wise) did Englebert Humperdink ever make any good Northern/soul/uptempo type sounds under his former name ,when he was a council worker in Leicester

Regards

Tony Coleby.

I have bought it since issue 6 in 1979, though I got it free for 5 or 6 years when I used to write for them and do the price guide, but I buy it now becauseI'm interested in rare records of all genres not just soul, always have been, which is why I could paste the lot of you at pop quiz
:lol:

Social source share

Go on ,then Pierre---just for a laugh (pop quiz--wise) did Englebert Humperdink ever make any good Northern/soul/uptempo type sounds under his former name ,when he was a council worker in Leicester

Regards

Tony Coleby.

Well I have to say "I don't know" cos I haven't heard them, but the one on Pye might be a likely suspect!

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

No -where near -----p.m me .

I think you.ll like it!!!

T.C.

Well I have to say "I don't know" cos I haven't heard them, but the one on Pye might be a likely suspect!

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Heard--"Rubberneckin"-once sat outside a bar in ICHMELER in Turkey and i thought(like God John Cleese-"What the????"--BUT never heard it played anywhere but have heard it was an old Whitworth st. sound.

Regards

Tony C.

n.b. Pete--not as good as the Engleburt record though!!!!

I've never heard it played, but embarassingly do have a copy
:lol:

gary

Social source share

does it not go something like this rubbernckin oooooooooooo rubberneckin deeee deee dummm de dummmm oooooooooo rubberneckin la la la la la

No mate i think that was Kenny Loggins "Footloose"!

last week we had some promo work done at work and the young lad making the video used "Rubber neckin" as the background music....could`nt believe he knew it...it was strange really because i told him he had to use something without a copyright, bet he thought "they wont know this one"!

Chris

Social source share

last week we had some promo work done at work and the young lad making the video used "Rubber neckin" as the background music....could`nt believe he knew it...

Following the huge success of the Elvis vs JXL remix of "A Little Less Conversation", Paul Oakenfold did a remix of "Rubberneckin'" a while ago. The promo video for it was all over the music channels.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!