Guest Jamie

• Replies 161
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Fab choices as always Brettmeister general  - What Does It Take To Win Your Love" / Motherlode (Revolver) Great Starter !!

Ps Did you get the message about John Weston having the Lou Jackson track you were after for £100 ?

link

Pm'd you Rich whistling.gif

Well personally a tremendous night. Debut at Sheridans and loved every minute. A crowd of familiar smiling faces made it a great social occasion. Wasn't full by any means, but the people who were there, were there for the music.

A quick one for Shane: Did you get Bernard Breslaws number? I think she had a crush on you Mr Loverman  :thumbsup:

Some brilliant sets, From Ritchie, Jase and Cookie - sheer class! Didn't hear everyones as I was to busy chinwagging.

Thought as I'm a bit 'restless' at the moment  whistling.gif   I'd while a bit of time by posting my playlists.

10:15 - 11:00

Mickie Champion - The Hurt Still Lingers On - Musette

Harry Deal & Galaxies - I Still Love You - Eclipse

Esther Phillips - Nobody But You - Roulette

Jo Ann Garrett  - Stand By My Side - Chess

Stoppers - Come Back Baby - Jubilee

Jimmey 'Soul' Clark - I'll Be Your Winner - Soulhawk

Wade Flemmons - That Other Place - VJ

Chubby & Turnpikes - I Didn't Try - Capitol

Roy Hamilton - The Panic Is On - MGM

George Smith - I've Had It - Turntable

Teddy Randazzo - You Don't Need A Heart - DCP

Ann Heywood - Crook His Little Finger - Hondo

Esther Phillips - Just Say Goodbye - Atlantic

Mitty Collier - Pain - Chess

Cleo Randle - Big City Lights - Sta-Set

Ozz & his Sperlings - Can You Qualify - Goldenway

Royal Esquires - Our Love Use To Be - Pricks

Dynells - Let Me Prove That I Love You - ATCO

Margaret Royal - I'll Never Go Away - Tra-x

21st Century - Shadow Of A Memory - Dot

11:30 - 12:00

Margie Joseph - One More Chance - Volt

Chubby & Turnpikes - I Know The Inside Story - Capitol

Voicemasters - If A Woman Catches A Fool - Bamboo

San Franciscan TKO's - Make Up Your Mind - Kent

Superlatives - Lonely In A Crowd - Westbound

Brothers Of Soul - I'd Be Greatful - Boo

James Bell & Highlighters - Amazing Love - Ro-Jam

Mellow Fellows - My Baby Needs Me - Dot

Odds & Ends - Let Me Try - Today

Jo Ann Garrett - One Woman - Duo

Bobby Sheen - I May Not Be What You Want - WB

Bobby Reed - Time Is Right For Love - Bell

5:30 - 6:00

Vivian Reed - Save Your Love For Me - ATCO

Pioneers - My Good Friend James - Mercury

Mark IV - Signs Of A Dying Love - OTB

Philip James - Keep On Loving - Longwood

Madeline & Monticellos - Binding Ring Of Gold - De-Vel

Velvet Hammer ft. Walter Smith - I Can't Believe - Chila 12"

The Nicky Newarkers - Woman - Mercury

Edwin Starr - Running Back & Forth - Gordy

Z Z & Co - Gettin' Ready For The Get Down - Columbus

John Gary Williams - The Whole Damn World Is Going Crazy - Stax

Soul Bros Inc. - Pyramid - Golden Eye

There, that passed a bit of time  :thumbsup:

Jamie

(And I didn't play WWWalker or Peggy Gaines  :thumbsup: )

link

This is one of the reasons why i like to be around this fine young man, as well as his Welsh partner (in a purely platonic way :thumbsup: ). Anyone not been to "Soulsville Leeds"......you don't know what your missing, looks like with things happening that this will now be my regular Monthly club. :thumbsup::ohmy:

Guest rachel

Well done Jamie, Rich and Brett  wink.gif

Stevie - got nearly all of the tunes you mentioned, all Chalky's fault he did me some blinding CD's a few years back (all Stafford tunes) and I am slowly working my way through them and buying the records, so looking forward to the Stafford reunion do, never went there myself but deffo the best played records IMO

Would like to see some more playlists up on here, I need educating, if all record companies in the 60's put there city of production on the label it would help us all ?

link

Where would the fun be in that, make it too easy (and the anoraks redundant :D )?! Think I'm right in saying playlists posted so far are all from the second room so not all Chicago/ Detroit, Capitol label certainly not.

ps what a scarily organised way of collecting! wink.gif

Fab choices as always Brettmeister general  - What Does It Take To Win Your Love" / Motherlode (Revolver) Great Starter !!

Ps Did you get the message about John Weston having the Lou Jackson track you were after for £100 ?

link

Pat on the back for Jimmy Burns - never ever see this record come up for grabs - absolutley top draw sound - nice one Brett

Pat on the back for Jimmy Burns - never ever see this record come up for grabs - absolutley top draw sound - nice one Brett

link

Soz Jamie - this was your spot wasn't it ?

Where would the fun be in that, make it too easy (and the anoraks redundant  wink.gif )?!  Think I'm right in saying playlists posted so far are all from the second room so not all Chicago/ Detroit, Capitol label certainly not.

ps what a scarily organised way of collecting!  wink.gif

link

Sweetheart, these are NOT the only records I buy, but I do have a very long list of tunes from those cd's which I am slowly working my way through as and when I come across them.

How do you collect records if it's not from first hearing them, liking them, then writing them down on a list and looking out for them?

Only other way I can think off is soul packs and take pot luck :D or maybe give someone £30 and tell them to go away and surprise you

must admit though I do rely on others to point the records out to me in sales box's as I have major problems remembering what i want, and those lists tend to get lost, quite funny this weekend was listening to a track in the car on the way to the 100 club, and noted what it was (then forgot) about an hour later Dave comes over with a record from Mick Smith, apparently I want it, so gave it a spin, and yes, was the one I noted down about an hour earlier on. But to top that I heard the sandpipers twice in the pub on Sunday, and both times I commented on how much I liked it, only to be reminded I was bought a copy less than a month ago wink.gif

Guest hammy

must admit though I do rely on others to point the records out to me in sales box's as I have major problems remembering what i want, and those lists tend to get lost, quite funny this weekend was listening to a track in the car on the way to the 100 club, and noted what it was (then forgot) about an hour later Dave comes over with a record from Mick Smith, apparently I want it, so gave it a spin, and yes, was the one I noted down about an hour earlier on. But to top that I heard the sandpipers twice in the pub on Sunday, and both times I commented on how much I liked it, only to be reminded I was bought a copy less than a month ago wink.gif

link

I used to have the Sandpipers until my wife pointed out how much it sounds like Spinal Tap's - Listen to the Flower People. wink.gif

I still like something about it - I think ...

Hammy

It was my first venture up North, from down Sarf, with Shane Cox (who played in the main room), & Rob Messer. Spent most of the night in the record bar as I was trying to get rid of some bits (trying, being the operative word), where I met Shane H (thanks for the Galaxy 45), which was nice to put a face to the name.

Did intend to make myself known to Brett, as have his mate Phil Rains staying at my place at the moment, due to working in the area. Didn't realise there were so many other soul sourcers there either.

Enjoyed the night, music & venue. Found everyone I spoke to very friendly, which I don't always find down South. As said on previous posts, because of the theme of the night, seemed to be more less heard tunes than you might usually hear, which is always a good thing.

Believe Mark was just unlucky not to get the numbers in, due to a number of factors already mentioned on posts, & hope he can be persuaded to continue.

This will make you all sick......On the way home we stopped at a nearby bootsale, & Rob the jammy bugger got a bag full of UK bits inc. Willie Tee, Ketty lester, Booker T ep, plus loads of early Who/Mark iv, soft cells first 45 for £20. We totted it up to well over £400 value on the journey back. Made his day. Shane & I spent the journey back trying to coax bits out of him, to no avail.

Anyway hope to make it back up North soon

Mike

Was a present before I went to Oz, so it was stuck inbetween card in my record box at the front, when I was bqack at Dennys after the soul night, I looked throuogh my records to do a play list and found an empty cover, couldnt remember what the new record was, so had to text home to find out (always a good move as it was a present LOL) and then admitted I had lost it......... luckly for me it was slid in-between two pieces of card on the side back at my apartement, phew, then remembered I took a spare record sleve incase I ruined one, yes I tend to spill drinks quite often too wink.gif such a great record though, could have bought it myself twice over Sunday night LOL

Enjoyed the night, music & venue. Found everyone I spoke to very friendly, which I don't always find down South.

that's a shame, where do you go out down here? I travel up North most weekends for do's, cant say I have noticed a difference in friendliness or such, well maybe once or twice when I ventured a little further South than Kent. Have made some great friends all over the country through the soul scene, not sure if i know you, but if we are ever at the same venue I will gladly sit and talk non stop to you for a few hours wink.gif

Enjoyed the night, music & venue. Found everyone I spoke to very friendly, which I don't always find down South.

that's a shame, where do you go out down here?  I travel up North most weekends for do's, cant say I have noticed a difference in friendliness or such, well maybe once or twice when I ventured a little further South than Kent.  Have made some great friends all over the country through the soul scene, not sure if i know you, but if we are ever at the same venue I will gladly sit and talk non stop to you for a few hours  wink.gif

link

Further south than Kent?? Oh, you mean a cross channel ferry? wink.gif

Guest ShaneH

It was my first venture up North, from down Sarf, with Shane Cox (who played in the main room), & Rob Messer. Spent most of the night in the record bar as I was trying to get rid of some bits (trying, being the operative word), where I met Shane H (thanks for the Galaxy 45), which was nice to put a face to the name.

Did intend to make myself known to Brett, as have his mate Phil Rains staying at my place at the moment, due to working in the area. Didn't realise there were so many other soul sourcers there either.

Enjoyed the night, music & venue. Found everyone I spoke to very friendly, which I don't always find down South. As said on previous posts, because of the theme of the night, seemed to be more less heard tunes than you might usually hear, which is always a good thing.

Believe Mark was just unlucky not to get the numbers in, due to a number of factors already mentioned on posts, & hope he can be persuaded to continue.

This will make you all sick......On the way home we stopped at a nearby bootsale, & Rob the jammy bugger got a bag full of UK bits inc. Willie Tee, Ketty lester, Booker T ep, plus loads of early Who/Mark iv, soft cells first 45  for £20. We totted  it up to well over £400 value on the journey back. Made his day. Shane & I spent the journey back trying to coax bits out of him, to no avail.

Anyway hope to make it back up North soon

Mike

link

sound to meet you too Mike. glad you liked the record mate. will see you again soon out and about.

shane

Playlist as requested:

11-12

Walter Jackson - Uphill Climb - Okeh

Johnny Bartel - If This Isn't Love - Solid State

Freddie Houston - If I Had Known - Old Town

Imaginations - Strange Neighbourhood - Fraternity

Kell Osborne - Quicksand - Titanic

Jimmy Beaumont - I Never Loved Her Anyway -Bang

Big Dons Rebellion - It Was True - Ethon

Tears - Goodluck My Love - Smash

Clara Wood - You're After My Guy - Imperial

Joe Douglas - Crazy Things - Playhouse

Jimmie Ellis - Happy To Be - Century City

Kenny Shepherd - What Difference Does It Make - Maxx

Margie Joseph - Riding High - Atlantic

Moses Smith - Keep On Striving - Cotillion

Garland Green - Girl I Love You - Revue

Milt Grayson - Your Old Standby - Derby

Justine Washington - I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face - Sue

Rose St John - And If I Had My Way - UA

Intentions - Don't Forget That I Love You - Phillips

Rhonda Davis - Can You Remember - Duke

Willie Kendrick - What's That On Your Finger - RCA

Otis Leavill - I Love You - Dakar

6-6.30

Guitar Ray - You're Gonna Wreck My Life - Shagg

Natural Four - Hanging On To A Lie - Boola Boola

Lovelace Watkins - Dreams - Sue

Trends - Not Too Old To Cry - ABC

Marion Stewart - I Must Be Losing You - R

Bobby Reed - The Time Is Right For Love - Bell

Quotations - I Don't Have To Worry - Divenus

Patrice Holloway - Stolen Hours - Capitol

Frederick Hymes III - Time Aint Gonna Do Me No Favours

Tony Galla - In Love - Swan

Moses Smith - Come On Let Me Love You - Cotillion

Tony Troutman - Whats The Use - Jerri

Innersection - I'm In Debt To You - Group 5

Were probably a few more that I can't quite recall as well!! Me and Jamie are back on at Sheridans for the Easter allnighter (cheers Andy) and then our Soulsville night is back on the first Friday of April in Leeds - fellow residents Pat Brady and John Parker in tow plus guests including James Trouble. If you liked what you heard then come down for what's always a fun night with top tunes.

See you soon wink.gif

Rich

Brett Franklin playlist  12.30 - 01.20 (may be a few i forgot) Lounge.

"It Use To Be"  / Jimmy Burns & Fantastic Epics (Tip Top)

link

link

Great record I agree but flip it over for an even better one (IMO) wink.gif:Dwink.gif

Sorry all, re:my previous post. Can assure you did not mean to offend & my choice of words were not the best. Just trying to say I had a good time albeit numbers low, which is maybe why I spoke too more people.

Admitedly it is only the last few years I have been going out to do's (out of my living room, anyway) & unfortunately do not get out as much as I would like (kid, money, record addiction) & as a consequence do not know too many people, & sometimes get a little dazzled by the knowledge of people & how everybody seems to know everybody.

Will have to get out more & deal with my inferiority complex, me thinks.

Again, apologies & hope this post explains a little. If I say Southerners are the best will I get a full pardon

Regards

Mike

Guest rachel

Sweetheart, these are NOT the only records I buy, but I do have a very long list of tunes from those cd's which I am slowly working my way through as and when I come across them. 

How do you collect records if it's not from first hearing them, liking them, then writing them down on a list and looking out for them? 

Only other way I can think off is soul packs and take pot luck  wink.gif   or maybe give someone £30 and tell them to go away and surprise you

link

I just close my eyes and stick a pin in sales lists.. wink.gif

Sorry all, re:my previous post. Can assure you did not mean to offend & my choice of words were not the best. Just trying to  say I had a good time albeit numbers low, which is maybe why I spoke too more people.

Admitedly it is only the last few years I have been going out to do's (out of my living room, anyway) & unfortunately do not get out as much as I would like (kid, money, record addiction) & as a consequence do not know too many people, & sometimes get a little dazzled by the knowledge of people & how everybody seems to know everybody.

Will have to get out more & deal with my inferiority complex, me thinks.

Again, apologies & hope this post explains a little. If I say Southerners are the best will I get a full pardon

Regards

Mike

link

Hi Mike

Good to meet you the other night at Sherridans..Hope to see you again when we treck down saaaaaaaaaaaaaarf....Come up again mate for free love,cheap ale and pies wink.gif

Hello evertbody..........just like to say how much we enjoyed Sheridens last saturday. OK numbers were a little down, but the Variety & Quality of the records played more than made up for it. I do hope that it doesn't end there, and that maybe Mark Bicknell will reconsider, and put on another nighter with the same format, as I'm sure its a Winning formula.

Best regards Ritchie & Ann Andrew.

Guest lagerlout

i must apologise to brett and all s.s.c.d.t for turning up so late to

sherrys..6-30am...i got it all mixed up after a few beers and

actually went to detriot and chigago first

Guest Jamie

Can you repeat to me again what label the royal esquires is on as judging by your spelling I seem to have stumbled across some "student humour" ? unsure.gif

link

Well done Richie, was intentional.

Was feeling in a silly mood after getting back home. rolleyes.gif

Although it wasn't a freudian slip and had nothing to do with what I had in my hand at the time..... :D

A pint for the winner.

Jamie

Guest Jamie

Brett Franklin playlist  12.30 - 01.20 (may be a few i forgot) Lounge.

"What Does It Take To Win Your Love" / Motherlode (Revolver)

"I've Got To Come In" / Jean Battle (Clintone)

"Chaos" / Vivian Copeland (D'oro)

"You've Hurt  Me Baby" / The Voice Masters (Bamboo)

"Thanks To You" /  Ronnie Walker (Phillips)

"Can't Get Him Off My Mind" /  Sheryl Swope (Duo)

"The Best Girl I Ever Had" / Gene Dozier & United Front (Mercury uk)

"Reality" /  Harold Tyler (Tymo)

"What About You" /  Carl Hall (Columbia demo)

"Satan, Let Me Sleep Tonight" /  Brenda Starr (Polydor demo)

"Suddenly" / Tony Drake (Brunswick demo) * kidnapped at one stage by so called friends wink.gif

"Steppin' Stone" / Little Mary Staten (GME)

"Someone Else's Turn" /  Pat Clayton (Silver Tip)

"It Use To Be"  / Jimmy Burns & Fantastic Epics (Tip Top)

" i Can't make It Without Him" / Brendetta Davis (Liberty demo) * think so?

"Tell Me What To Do" /  Connie Questell (Decca demo)

"On Easy Street" /  O. C. Smith (Columbia demo)

"Haunted House" /  Jackie Wilson (Brunswick)

"Down and Out" /  George Freeman (Valiant demo)

"If I Had Known" /  Freddie Houston (Bell Sound Studios  acetate)

"Wrapped, Tied & Tangled" /  LaVern Baker (Brunswick)

"Decieved" /  Ruby (Gold Token)

"From Out Of Nowhere" /  George Wydell (Tangerine)

link

Really good to hear some of these played out, Brett.

Damn fine as always unsure.gif

Guest Jamie

Only caught your last set Jamie but really enjoyed it unsure.gif

(BTW Jamie, did you really finish up with Bresslaw? :D   :D )

link

Cheers for that dave rolleyes.gif

NO!!! :D I think Bresslaw cut a lonely figure as she left Sheridans. Poor lass, just to think she had a big hotel room to her self :D What a waste eh??? :D

Jamie

Guest ShaneH

Cheers for that dave  :D

NO!!!  rolleyes.gif   I think Bresslaw cut a lonely figure as she left Sheridans. Poor lass, just to think she had a big hotel room to her self  :D   What a waste eh???  :D

Jamie

link

Bresslaw was a character were'nt she? did she stay to the end?

she introduced herself to me....hello I'm ******* and I am divorced! I just clammed up! :D

She enjoyed herself though and we all got away safe so no problems there Jamie.

Why doesnt Brett play the other side to 'Deceived' Ruby? 'Feminine Ingenuity' is so much better. 'Deceived' is just a warm up for the band imo.

This is my only criticism of that fine man the Brettmeister! unsure.gif

Shane

Guest Jamie

Bresslaw was a character were'nt she? did she stay to the end?

she introduced herself to me....hello I'm ******* and I am divorced! I just clammed up!  rolleyes.gif

She enjoyed herself though and we all got away safe so no problems there Jamie.

Why doesnt Brett play the other side to 'Deceived' Ruby? 'Feminine Ingenuity' is so much better. 'Deceived' is just a warm up for the band imo.

This is my only criticism of that fine man the Brettmeister!  wink.gif

Shane

link

:D I kept introducing her to everyone I could and then swerving :D

What did it for me was the 'Ooh Jamie, you're sooo cute' I sh*t myself and run off to the toilets :D:(unsure.gif

She came up to me in the main room and asked me if you were telling the truth. What do mean? I said. Well, he said he cross-breeds animals and he said he's crossed an aadvark with donkey. (not sure of animals, but you get the drift)

The poor bugger believed you :D:D:D

Edited by Jamie
Guest ShaneH

rolleyes.gif I kept introducing her to everyone I could and then swerving  :D

What did it for me was the 'Ooh Jamie, you're sooo cute' I sh*t myself and run off to the toilets  :D   :D   wink.gif

She came up to me in the main room and asked me if you were telling the truth. What do mean? I said. Well, he said he cross-breeds animals and he said he's crossed an aadvark with donkey. (not sure of animals, but you get the drift)

The poor bugger believed you  :(   :D   :D

link

I was in a mischievous mood. I told her I worked in the 'new breeds' section of Berlin Zoo. I told her we had bred a porcupine which grew cheese and pineapple on each spike. It saved time for party organisers!

:D

She liked you Jamie. unsure.gif

Shane

Guest Jamie

I was in a mischievous mood. I told her I worked in the 'new breeds' section of Berlin Zoo. I told her we had bred a porcupine which grew cheese and pineapple on each spike. It saved time for party organisers!

unsure.gif

She liked you Jamie. :D

Shane

link

rolleyes.gif:D:D That's the one!!! I didn't know where to look as she was proper serious. I said you were very secretive about your research work and it was probably true. She seemed much happier after that :D

I think she would have liked anyone who took time to speak to her, I'm too much of a nice guy, that's my problem :Dsad.gif:D

Guest James Trouble

that's a shame, where do you go out down here?  I travel up North most weekends for do's, cant say I have noticed a difference in friendliness or such, well maybe once or twice when I ventured a little further South than Kent.  Have made some great friends all over the country through the soul scene, not sure if i know you, but if we are ever at the same venue I will gladly sit and talk non stop to you for a few hours  unsure.gif

link

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. wink.gif

never got a look at her face :D   rolleyes.gif   :D but noticed she was over 16... :D She had that nice little dance going on and i thought you two could make music..She seems like a caring person..She turned up with two very nice puppies :D   unsure.gif   :D

link

Was said lady quite dark with black curley hair?

Cheers for that dave  :thumbsup:

NO!!!  :D   I think Bresslaw cut a lonely figure as she left Sheridans. Poor lass, just to think she had a big hotel room to her self  :(   What a waste eh???  :D

Jamie

link

I was quite worried for my mate Steve (not Mr Cato, you understand- he can look after himself :D , the other Steve.)

I suggested he offer to buy her some chips and the prat took it seriously :D:D:thumbsup:

never got a look at her face :thumbsup:   :D   :D but noticed she was over 16... :( She had that nice little dance going on and i thought you two could make music..She seems like a caring person..She turned up with two very nice puppies :(   :thumbsup:   :D

link

You See!!! :D

What did that girl say to you at Samanthas?/ :D:D

Now, how might you know that, young fella? :thumbsup:

link

Got stuck with somebody matching her description at the last CIS. She even caught the bus home with us. I was certain that she'd invite herself round to ours after, but thankfully not. She was telling us haow she hasn't had sex for a while......that was enough for me so introduced her to my mate then legged it.

Guest rachel

I was quite worried for my mate Steve (not Mr Cato, you understand- he can look after himself :D , the other Steve.)

I suggested he offer to buy her some chips and the prat took it seriously :D   :D   :thumbsup:

link

She really wanted to 'share some chips' with Jamie though :D Who knows what else they might have ended up sharing.... :D:thumbsup:

Got stuck with somebody matching her description at the last CIS. She even caught the bus home with us. I was certain that she'd invite herself round to ours after, but thankfully not. She was telling us haow she hasn't had sex for a while......that was enough for me so introduced her to my mate then legged it.

link

This women said the same thing...but i think she was talking only hours and not months or years... :D Love comes in all shapes and sizes..She was all shapes and sizes :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I got away from her just..She asked if i was gay..I said no but i help out when they are busy :D I'm not gay but my boyfreind is.. :D

This women said the same thing...but i think she was talking only hours and not months or years... :D Love comes in all shapes and sizes..She was all shapes and sizes :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

I got away from her just..She asked if i was gay..I said no but i help out when they are busy :D I'm not gay but my boyfreind is.. :D

link

You cant beat a good old fashioned nutter. You could see each of my mates panicking everytime she came close.

You cant beat a good old fashioned nutter. You could see each of my mates panicking everytime she came close.

link

Imagine what she will be saying to her mates about you lot :thumbsup:

Along the lines of "what a lovely bunch of honest young men, who even had the decency to see me home on the bus".

Under-rated the youth of today.

link

I'm sure I'll get a glimpse of her when Shane has her on his arm at the Polish Club on Saturday :thumbsup:

This is my only criticism of that fine man the Brettmeister!  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

Shane, because it's my bloody record :D:D:D

Infact next time someone asks me to play, i'll play that side for you.............you'll be waiting a long time :thumbsup:

Edited by Brett