A Few Sales Bits

Guest James Trouble

Guest James Trouble

All records at least excellent condition or better unless stated....

£20 Horizon - Feel The Funk (AAA) Good modern/disco.

£10 Otis Clay - Show Place (One0Derful)

£30 Clarance Carter - I'm So Tired (Big C) pretty obscure, not well known disco/modern

SOLD £125 Royal Esquires - Ain't Gunna Run (PRIX)

£15 Jesse James - I Know I'll Never Find Another (ZAP) VG++

£10 Ethics - Think About TOmorrow/ Look at me now (VENT)

£10 Darrel Banks - I've Got That Feeling (ATCO) light paper scuffs, do not effect

SOLD£10 Tyrone Ashley - I Want My Baby Back (Philla) rare vinyl issue

£25 Marion Black - Who Knows (Capsoul) VG++

£80 Dorothy Morrison - I Can't Go Without You (BROWN DOOR)

£150 Candi-Bars - I Believe In You (Candi-Stix) Rare, obscure, unknown, good.

SOLD £250 The PArliaments - Cry No More (Cabell)Rare, obscure, unknown, good

£10 Darrell Banks - Our Love (pink Revoolt)

£10 The Ethics - I Want My Baby Back (VENT)

£100 Black Sweat - Black Sweat (Sweat Inc) VERY rare funk. two known copies. So this is fucking cheap, someone is gunna get a bargain.

£100 Don Gardner & His Checkmates - Cookin' (Spectacular) slight scuffs do not effect play . current Guy Hennigan cover up. A bit crap if you ask me.

SOLD £75 Rotations - I Can't Find Her (Debrossard)

£75 R Tenard - You Made Me Cry (Fa-BO-LUS)

Paypal please to jamestrouble@hotmail.com . Postage is £3 UK, £4 Europe and £5 USA etc. :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 104
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest hammy

£100 Don Gardner & His Checkmates - Cookin' (Spectacular)  slight scuffs do not effect play .  current Guy Hennigan cover up. A bit crap if you ask me.

link

Hi James - is this an instrumental? .. sure I can remember hearing it at the Halifax Rider Club a couple of years ago and thinking it sounded like a 60s version of the theme from Grandstand .... whistling.gif

Saying that - I liked it.

ERRRRR... QUITE REMARKABLE !

David Colemanballs

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hi James - is this an instrumental? .. sure I can remember hearing it at the Halifax Rider Club a couple of years ago and thinking it sounded like a 60s version of the theme from Grandstand ....  whistling.gif

David Colemanballs

link

I think it may well be the one. To be fair, it's not a bad track. I must have picked it up for a reason. Very "traditional" northern sounding, if that's the kind of thing that flouts ya boat.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James -

Can you tell me what this is like - or do you have a sound file?

Thanks.

link

There is a sound file somewhere, i'll see if I can fish it out. it's only aminute though. the track is mostly instumental, up tempo dabcer. nice breaks in it, good hammond. I shouldn't really be sellingit this cheap. whistling.gif

Social source share

Hi James - is this an instrumental? .. sure I can remember hearing it at the Halifax Rider Club a couple of years ago and thinking it sounded like a 60s version of the theme from Grandstand ....  whistling.gif

David Colemanballs

link

I used to play this at the Polish club in Luton, sounds good loud. Sounds a bit like Carl Fortnums "Leaving Detroit" acetate...Good tune!!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I used to play this at the Polish club in Luton, sounds good loud. Sounds a bit like Carl Fortnums "Leaving Detroit" acetate...Good tune!!

link

I could imagine it sounding good up loud.

I've got another couple of things for sale as well that I've fished out...

SOLD £40 Lillian Dupree - Hide & Seek (D-Town) VG visual but plays VG+, good for DJing, not good for headphone wearers.

£50 Detroit Soul - All Of My LIfe (Music Town) VG++

£400 J T Allen - Freeway Crowd B/W Working Hard (Delmar) Amazing unknown modern soul/disco (I might do a sound file of this a bit later on today) B/W a funk killer.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest dodger

£400 J T Allen - Freeway Crowd B/W Working Hard (Delmar) Amazing unknown modern soul/disco (I might do a sound file of this a bit later on today) B/W a funk killer.

link

Serious question and summat that's always puzzled me. How do you arrive at a price of £400 if it's unknown? What's to say you shouldn't be selling this for a tenner? Not being arsey, I genuinely would like to know how this pricing scenario works and how you can justify asking such a huge price for it? Manship's book? shades.gif

Edited by dodger
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Serious question and summat that's always puzzled me.  How do you arrive at a price of £400 if it's unknown? What's to say you shouldn't be selling this for a tenner? Not being arsey, I genuinely would like to know how this pricing scenario works and how you can justify asking such a huge price for it?  Manship's book?  shades.gif

link

I base this price on all available information, including rarity, quality, what it has sold for in the past etc. The 'soul scene' does not know this record. It is quality. It is rare. It is £400. :shhh:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I base this price on all available information, including rarity, quality, what it has sold for in the past etc. The 'soul scene' does not know this record. It is quality. It is rare. It is £400. :shhh:

link

but its 4 times the price of Black Sweat, where there are only 2 known copies.

Does this mean there is only half a known copy of this one?? shades.gif

Typical James...keep them wanting more laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

but its 4 times the price of Black Sweat, where there are only 2 known copies.

Does this mean there is only half a known copy of this one??  shades.gif

Typical James...keep them wanting more  :shhh:

link

No, it means it's a better record, and is a soul record with a million more people who would want to buy it than the Black Sweat.

You don't like disco Mikey, it's nto for you, don't worry yourself. laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

I base this price on all available information, including rarity, quality, what it has sold for in the past etc. The 'soul scene' does not know this record. It is quality. It is rare. It is £400. ph34r.gif

link

Personally I think I'll just toddle across to King Bee Records in Manchester with me 400 notes and fill me car boot up with around 100 or so cheap and good quality secondhand 70s/80s soul albums. The 'soul scene' might not know them because they're not 45's. They are in all probability of equal quality. They are not rare. They are cheap and considerably better value imvfho. :yes:

Social source share

I base this price on all available information, including rarity, quality, what it has sold for in the past etc. The 'soul scene' does not know this record. It is quality. It is rare. It is £400. ph34r.gif

link

Your arrogance absolutely amazes me at times. How can you possibly say that the record is not known? Do you know the contents of every person in the UK's collection?

There are so many people not known to the general 'scene' who have ultra rare records, unassuming types who don't go around bragging about what they've got and what they haven't got.

You know f*ck all.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

The 'soul scene' does not know this record. It is quality.

Most of us likes quality records that are new to us, so let's hear it!

If I have something that is hard to price I ask around as much as I can and try to put a reasonable price on it and then the buyer has a choice to buy it or not, it is always a risk when buying records that you will see something for less than you paid for it, it's part of the game. If something does not sell, I'll just lower the price until it does, or file it in the box labelled 'keep and bring to the grave'. ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Your arrogance absolutely amazes me at times.  How can you possibly say that the record is not known?  Do you know the contents of every person in the UK's collection?

There are so many people not known to the general 'scene' who have ultra rare records, unassuming types who don't go around bragging about what they've got and what they haven't got.

You know f*ck all.

link

Bit strong Pete.

James is a real top bloke with a good knowledge.

OK he comes from a different angle to us conniseurs of the 6ts thing, but he does know his stuff.

Choice of shirts should be questioned of course. I thought I was walking thru the amusement arcade one night last weekend, but it was just Trouble cutting a rug to some disco thing. ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Your arrogance absolutely amazes me at times.  How can you possibly say that the record is not known?  Do you know the contents of every person in the UK's collection?

You know f*ck all.

link

Quite a few collectors know about it. But it is not played on the soul scene. So it is unknown on the 'soul scene'. IF you played that in a modern soul room no fucker (or one or two at the most) would know it. Fact.

Do you want to buy the record, or act like a c***?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

No, he thinks he's Mr Soul.

link

What do you know? If you don't want to buy the record because "the only good modern record is a broken one" then don't buy it. But no need to go acting like a cock.

Two people I respect when it comes to disco music are Soul Sam and Mr Fenn, last time I asked them about it they didn't know it. I think that's a pretty good indication that it can be concidered fairly unknown.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest hammy

If you want to play with the adults you'd best be able to back your big mouth up sunshine.

link

This is the funniest thing I have read on here since I joined! ph34r.gif:Dbiggrin.gif:yes::D:D

Hammy

Social source share

Guest hammy

Now why doesn't this surprise me!

link

It was this quote that made me laugh

If you want to play with the adults you'd best be able to back your big mouth up sunshine.

For a moment I thought you were actually challenging someone to a physical confrontation. ph34r.gif:D:D:yes:

Hammy

Social source share

Two people I respect when it comes to disco music are Soul Sam and Mr Fenn, last time I asked them about it they didn't know it. I think that's a pretty good indication that it can be concidered fairly unknown.

link

not wanting to put petrol on the flames but that is absolutely no indication as to how well known or not,alledgely sam did not know ( or had not heard ) of The Ultimations when asked,and thats a common record up north,

nobody knows em all but it doesnt make them any rarer just cos two people didnt know it who people think should.

how many records do people know when they go through sales boxes ?? 20,30,40,50,70,90 % ???

Social source share

Guest dodger

not wanting to put petrol on the flames but that is absolutely no indication as to how well known or not,alledgely sam did not know ( or had not heard ) of The Ultimations when asked,and thats a common record up north,

nobody knows em all but it doesnt make them any rarer just cos two people didnt know it who people think should.

how many records do people know when they go through sales boxes ?? 20,30,40,50,70,90 % ???

link

Amen to that! ph34r.gif It would also depend on who was in the room when they were played as well and where in the country it was played. In reality anyone with a halfway serious collection of 70s/80s soul could pull out any number of common 5 quid album tracks and play them in a modern room and next to nobody would know them but it wouldn't turn a 5 quid record into a 400 one because of it. Mind you, saying that, it probably would in some peoples' view. :yes:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

p.s. James I would advise you to take this off the list before it kicks off, just PM me if you've got something to say and I'll be happy to correspond with you, rather than make everyone else watch this display

link

Aw please, keep it on line. This is fun.

Is that Sweat record actually a soul record at all?

Social source share

Click here for the J T Allen "Working HArd" sound file

The £400 price tag is based on what the funk side sells for. It is a rare 45. It is not a charity shop 12".

link

Mmmm, I like that a lot but don't think I like it 40,000 pennies :yes:

You owe me a Mothers Day present James ph34r.gif

and stop arguing with Pete on his birthday :D

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Mmmm, I like that a lot but don't think I like it 40,000 pennies  :D

You owe me a Mothers Day present James  :D

and stop arguing with Pete on his birthday  :yes:

link

I'd sell it to you cheaper Alison, but not to anybody eelse though. £250 to Alison, £400 to everybody else. :D

I gave your mothers day card to Janine to post when she said she was going to the post office. I bet she threw it in the bin to get me in trouble! ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

FYI,

Candi-bars has been selling quite often around the 50 mark on ebay, 150 seems more like a Manship price.  ph34r.gif

link

Is that the same Candi-Bars? I'm not sure it is. I thought they had gone through around the $250 mark? :yes:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

she got mine ok though!  Maybe you didnt put the right stamp on it?

link

My guess is that you took the stamp off mine and stuck it on yours. I can't believe you've tried to get me in trouble again! You're such a bitch Janine, I hate you! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Is that the same Candi-Bars? I'm not sure it is. I thought they had gone through around the $250 mark? :yes:

link

Tis same one, know for sure as I learned it first place from your site! blush.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

is there not two different presses of this, is one worth a lot more than the other ?

link

You're right. The one I am selling is silver. I don't think there is a diference in price between this and the yellow one. I have never seen it go through at the 50 mark. around $250, I'm very sure of that. Not seen one for several months now.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

saw a yellow one for $70 about 3 weeks ago from a US seller,I could be wrong but sure 70 bucks,prices are all over the place anyway so up to the buyer.

link

Wrighty just siad he saw that. He said he was cursing because he didn't have a snipe on it. 70$ is a freak result I think. someone has a bargain there! :angry:

Social source share

You're right. The one I am selling is silver. I don't think there is a diference in price between this and the yellow one. I have never seen it go through at the 50 mark. around $250, I'm very sure of that. Not seen one for several months now.

link

I have seen not two but three different label designs/pressings. Silver/red, yellow/red and yellow/black. Some time back I bid and lost out as second highest bidder three times in a row at around $127, have also seen it sell in the region of £150 though. Just the usual case of drastic price fluctuations today.

Social source share

I sold the silver/red one with reversed labels month so ago for $103 !

Didn't really care for the tune so was still happy with the result.

Social source share

I think the tune is nice enough but not sure I would keep it. Tastes differ though, as we all know. The JT Allen was decent enough IMO, and Black Sweat a decent funk instrumental, will probably appeal to that faction.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I sold the silver/red one with reversed labels month so ago for $103 !

Didn't really care for the tune so was still happy with the result.

link

I dopn't like it too much myself. Maybe I am a little high with my price. IF anybody wants it they can have it off me for £100.

Thanks for the info guys! biggrin.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest dodger

The £400 price tag is based on what the funk side sells for. It is a rare 45. It is not a charity shop 12".

Shite, seriously, total pants, throwaway unmemorable out of tune disco cack. I've found WAY better records in a charity shop. No wonder northern soul fans think modern soul is crap if that sort of stuff gets offered up to them as modern soul. Probably not known by your heroes because they probably took one listen and passed on it 20 odd years ago.

You could quite easily have answered my original, and genuine, question by saying that it was the funk side that gave it the price tag.

Social source share

What do you know? If you don't want to buy the record because "the only good modern record is a broken one" then don't buy it. But no need to go acting like a cock.

link

O.k., now i'll let you in on a little secret, but pleeeeeeease don't tell Soul Sam, Arthur or Rob Thomas!!

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was over from America, he will remain nameless unless he wishes other wise, we were at a record fair & he started buying up copies of the chart hit Gloria Gaynor - "You never can say good bye". He told me they sell well back home, buy for 10p & sell for $5, cool. The next day he asked me if i knew the flip of "you never..." & i had to admit i never. Any way, a couple of days later i had to get some acetates cut, so for a laugh, i got it cut on a 7" acetate (the flip). I thought i'd give it a few spins out & see if anyone twigged.

I had it sat in the back of my box at Kempston, the night Sam & Arthur were on. Sam said "whats this?" when he see it. I told him to have a listen on the portable & see if he knew it. "No, do you know this Arthur? No" Fair enough, i thought, cause neither did i.

Here's the good bit. I gave it a play to Rob, he reacted with "Ow mooch is that f**ker", i said i didn't want to sell it, i wanted to play it & see if i could make it into a big record. Bearing in mind there was no name on the acetate, a total unknown, ha ha. He said, in his normal modest way, "it wont work for you, it needs a big name like ME behind it." "Ah, errrrm, oh, yep go on then Rob" i said, "seeing as you put it like that, you can have it, infact have it for nowt."

The next weekend Rob gives it a spin at the start of his set. Brilliant! Packs the floor. He plays it in his second set. As he's doing so, a blokes just walked in off the street & is stood next to me. He said to me "Why's he playing a million seller?" "Dont know mate, go & ask him". He did. Oh dear, if i only had a camera at that second.

I'm sorry. Very childish. But f***ing funny. biggrin.gif Don't tell Rob.

Social source share

O.k., now i'll let you in on a little secret, but pleeeeeeease don't tell Soul Sam, Arthur or Rob Thomas!!

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was over from America, he will remain nameless unless he wishes other wise, we were at a record fair & he started buying up copies of the chart hit Gloria Gaynor - "You never can say good bye". He told me they sell well back home, buy for 10p & sell for $5, cool. The next day he asked me if i knew the flip of "you never..." & i had to admit i never. Any way, a couple of days later i had to get some acetates cut, so for a laugh, i got it cut on a 7" acetate (the flip). I thought i'd give it a few spins out & see if anyone twigged.

I had it sat in the back of my box at Kempston, the night Sam & Arthur were on. Sam said "whats this?" when he see it. I told him to have a listen on the portable & see if he knew it. "No, do you know this Arthur? No" Fair enough, i thought, cause neither did i.

Here's the good bit. I gave it a play to Rob, he reacted with "Ow mooch is that f**ker", i said i didn't want to sell it, i wanted to play it & see if i could make it into a big record. Bearing in mind there was no name on the acetate, a total unknown, ha ha. He said, in his normal modest way, "it wont work for you, it needs a big name like ME behind it." "Ah, errrrm, oh, yep go on then Rob" i said, "seeing as you put it like that, you can have it, infact have it for nowt."

The next weekend Rob gives it a spin at the start of his set. Brilliant! Packs the floor. He plays it in his second set. As he's doing so, a blokes just walked in off the street & is stood next to me. He said to me "Why's he playing a million seller?" "Dont know mate, go & ask him". He did. Oh dear, if i only had a camera at that second.

I'm sorry. Very childish. But f***ing funny.  blush.gif Don't tell Rob.

link

:yes::D

I won't mention it to him at the next Polish Club.

He showed me some of his acetates etc recently, but that one passed me by. :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!