Schatz - Soon Everything Is Gonna Be Alright

Guest Jamie

Guest Jamie

Morning gang :shhh:

Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me.

I could really do with a label scan if at all possible. If not, can anyone tell me if this had a solid centre?

Was it 'Promo' only, and did it have a different Artist on the flip?

A soundfile would be lovely too.

I know it books at £300 in Ovenchip - but is that about right value wise?

Ta very muchly.

Jamie whistling.gif

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Morning gang  :shhh:

I could really do with a label scan if at all possible. If not, can anyone tell me if this had a solid centre?

Ta very muchly.

Jamie  whistling.gif

link

.....and how different is it from the Third Time Around. I had this once, but cannot remember how it was now.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

.....and how different is it from the Third Time Around. I had this once, but cannot remember how it was now.

link

Exactly Steve.

I've got the one on Denine, but want to hear the Shatz one, plus why is there such a price difference £10 v £300??

Jamie

Social source share

Exactly Steve.

I've got the one on Denine, but want to hear the Shatz one, plus why is there such a price difference £10 v £300??

Jamie

link

Jamie,

Manship has a short soundclip, and I think, one for sale.

First played I believe by John Vincent. Certainly remember it at Sams nighters mid seventies and trying all the reggae shops for a copy.

A label scan appears on one of the covers of a manship guide or catalogue, and I think it does have a solid centre.

Steve

Social source share

Exactly Steve.

Jamie

link

Coz there are only 3 Dennine copies and 35,000 Warren Schatz. You muppet. whistling.gifshhh.gif:shhh:blush.gif

Social source share

Coz there are only 3 Dennine copies and 35,000 Warren Schatz. You muppet.  whistling.gif   shhh.gif   :shhh:   blush.gif

link

Manship - Rarest of the rare section. Page 13. Label scan and short soundclip.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Coz there are only 3 Dennine copies and 35,000 Warren Schatz. You muppet.  :shhh:   :shhh:   blush.gif   blush.gif

link

Hmmm. You may have a point there. And I assume you swapped the figures around for full effect did you? whistling.gif

I think this is a scan of the flip, which is why I asked the question about different Artists and solid centre.

post-1261-1110445653_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Manship -  Rarest of the rare section. Page 13. Label scan and short soundclip.

link

Cheers for that Steve.

Looks like I may be in luck :shhh:

I can't play the soundclip - do I need a different kind of 'real' player? It just says there is an error whistling.gif

Social source share

Cheers for that Steve.

Looks like I may be in luck :shhh:

I can't play the soundclip - do I need a different kind of 'real' player? It just says there is an error  whistling.gif

link

Jamie

Works okay on my real player, just tried it

Steve.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Jamie

Works okay on my real player, just tried it

Steve.

link

Slightly off-topic, but which version of 'real' player do you have??

And does it sound much like the TTA version? :shhh:

Ta

Jimbob whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Morning gang  biggrin.gif

Ta very muchly.

Jamie  shades.gif

link

Tough one Jamie the Shatz version is the better of the two but for some reason that it hard to define as they are almost identical the best person to help out here would be perhaps be Neil Rushton, he actually borrowed JM's copy to DJ at the Ritz/Mecca special alldayer/nighter a couple of years back he even played it on Richard's show beforehand :shhh:

There are a few copies of this around but it doesn't seem to be too common but then it hard to see where the demand would come from to elevate the price to 300 sovs nice enough tune though laugh.gif

Social source share

Slightly off-topic, but which version of 'real' player do you have??

Thats a bit technical for me. The word Real is in blue black and white if that any good. Oh and its a freebie version.

And does it sound much like the TTA version?  :shhh: TTA better IMO

Ta

Jimbob  shades.gif

link

Social source share

Hmmm. You may have a point there. And I assume you swapped the figures around for full effect did you?  ph34r.gif

I think this is a scan of the flip, which is why I asked the question about different Artists and solid centre.

post-1261-1110445653_thumb.jpg

link

My eyesight ain't what it used to be, but that looks like a 12 from here

:yes:

Social source share

Jamie,

Certainly remember it at Sams nighters mid seventies and trying all the reggae shops for a copy.

Steve

link

Hey, you must have some bloomin' good reggae shops up there in Sheffield, that's all I can say  ph34r.gif I always had this pegged as a NY thing.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Hey, you must have some bloomin' good reggae shops up there in Sheffield, that's all I can say  I always had this pegged as a NY thing.

link

can't remember exactly but on Richards show Neil did say that Shatz (David rings a bell for some reason) was the producer of the Third Time Around version and this was his own interpretation of it, whether it came before or after i can't recall

I'll have to try and dig out my copy of that show although gawd knows where that is now ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest Jamie

can't remember exactly but on Richards show Neil did say that Shatz (David rings a bell for some reason) was the producer of the Third Time Around version and this was his own interpretation of it, whether it came before or after i can't recall

I'll have to try and dig out my copy of that show although gawd knows where that is now  ph34r.gif

link

I thought it was Warren Schatz of 'Producer/Arranger' type fame??? :yes:

Social source share

link

Steve,

positive I saw John V play it on Wildflower, before he had the Disco Soul copy which is a New York thing (Female vocal on the other side ? )

Will confirm with John that it was on Wildflower.

But never got a copy from the Reggae man.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Jamie

....And it deffo is 'Schatz' not 'Shatz' as on Manship.

If you look at the scan above the centre hole it's quite clear.

And Warren Schatz 'Produced' it. It sez so on the label.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I thought it was Warren Schatz of 'Producer/Arranger' type fame???  :D

link

It is Jamie, i have far too few brain cells to be let out without adult supervision perhaps i should just shut up next time around (see what i did there? :D )

I suppose it's only to be expected from a Moron :Dph34r.gif:yes:

Social source share

I thought it was Warren Schatz of 'Producer/Arranger' type fame???  ph34r.gif

link

It is

The jamaican copy credits Warren Schatz if my memory serves me correctly

Social source share

Guest Jamie

It is Jamie, i have far too few brain cells to be let out without adult supervision perhaps i should just shut up next time around (see what i did there? wink.gif )

I suppose it's only to be expected from a Moron  :D   ph34r.gif   :D

link

You don't give me enough credit, Uncle Johnners wink.gif I was gonna suggest you'd get it right third time around. But that would have just been silly :D

As for being a Moron, yes, you are for locking horns with Willie Rushton :yes:wink.gif:D

Social source share

The copy I played on Jazz FM is now my copy. I said on the show it was different to the Denine version but playing them both since I think they are both the same recording.

The disc seems quite rare, it is just a promo released by the writers publishing company to create a vibe, it's not a commercial release by a record label.

The flip side by a female is well in demand in disco circles - I forgot who it's by and can't check my records today..

Warren Schatz later had success producing The Brothers and Vickie Sue Robinson. I interviewed him when I worked for what was then Black Echoes and he was a sound bloke.

Neil Rushton

Social source share

The copy I played on Jazz FM is now my copy. I said on the show it was different to the Denine version but playing them both since I think they are both the same recording.

The disc seems quite rare, it is just a promo  released by the writers  publishing company to create a vibe, it's not a commercial release by a record label.

The flip side by a female is well in demand in disco circles - I forgot who it's by and can't check my records today..

Warren Schatz later had success producing  The Brothers and Vickie Sue Robinson. I  interviewed him  when I worked for what was then Black Echoes and he was a sound bloke.

Neil Rushton

link

Disco soul and Denine versions are defintely different Neil. Vocals and inst.

Do you know anything to confirm the Wildflower release ?

Social source share

Guest Jamie

The disc seems quite rare, it is just a promo  released by the writers  publishing company to create a vibe, it's not a commercial release by a record label.

Warren Schatz later had success producing  The Brothers and Vickie Sue Robinson. I  interviewed him  when I worked for what was then Black Echoes and he was a sound bloke.

Neil Rushton

link

Thanks for the help Neil. The flip is by Sunny Gale. If you look at the scans above you'll see it.

Cheers,

Jamie

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Neil Rushton

link

You don't know how many were pressed do you Neil??

Thanks,

Jamie

Social source share

Guest martyn

Disco soul and Denine versions are defintely different Neil. Vocals and inst.

Do you know anything to confirm the Wildflower release ?

link

They both sound the same to me as well but Ive only compared the vocal versions,how far apart time wise did they come out?

Can't imagine how the instrumentals could vary much though :D

Social source share

Guest Jamie

They both sound the same to me as well but Ive only compared the vocal versions,how far apart time wise did they come out?

link

I may be wrong on this, Martyn, but I don't think there is an instrumental Schatz version. The flip of the Disco Soul version is a different artist 'Sunny Gale'.

Neil mentioned that the Schatz version was a sampler and never issued. When it was issued, it was done as Third Time Around.

Jamie

Social source share

link

Meant the backing on the vocal.

Deffo different IMO

Social source share

Meant the backing on the vocal.

Deffo different  IMO

link

I have just listened to both versions again, and can categorically say that I might be wrong. :D

BUT, spoke to John Vincent who confirmed that he DID play a copy on Wildflower, at the Sams nighters.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jamie

Well it's turned up and a happy bunny I am too blush.gif

At first I thought it was the chipmunks singing, but clocked it's recorded at 33rpm!

Absolutely no lead-in, it's gonna be a bugger to cue!!! Just goes straight in.

Having listened to it a few times now and playing them back to back, I think I'd give it the edge over the Denine version.

It's got a certain something about it, the way I prefer Patterson Bros to Bottom & Company.

Vocals are definately different, or at least arranged differently. Same guys on the credits though.

I'll see if I can suss a sound file and post 'em so you can decide.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Always loved this record- prefer the instrumental with the chorus at the end. :thumbsup:

I suppose the Shatz version is worth quite abit if their are few copies but Ive stopped thinking about Mr Manships rarest of the rare cos hes got so bloody many of them now on his site section.

link

Howdy mate,

Hope your trip to the US of A was fruitful :thumbsup:

My Old Man said that the instrumental with the Chorus right at the end was the one they mainly played at Cleethorpes, and was the version I was brought up on.

You can hear all the strings and the instrumentation much clearer on that one. The violins are so emotive I 'well up' and have to wipe a tear from my eye :thumbsup:

Will probably give the Schatz version a spin out soon, as the vocals are a bit different than the release. Plus you don't hear it much these days.

Jamie :thumbsup:

Social source share

Howdy mate,

Hope your trip to the US of A was fruitful  :thumbsup:

My Old Man said that the instrumental with the Chorus right at the end was the one they mainly played at Cleethorpes, and was the version I was brought up on.

You can hear all the strings and the instrumentation much clearer on that one. The violins are so emotive I 'well up' and have to wipe a tear from my eye  :thumbsup:

Will probably give the Schatz version a spin out soon, as the vocals are a bit different than the release. Plus you don't hear it much these days.

Jamie :thumbsup:

link

Hi Jamie- Not so fruitful on the record hunt a couple of obscurities not much rare stuff at all infact next to nil- They all have manships guide under the counter.

What was brilliat though was meeting Peter Brown of P&P records fame(partrick adams et al) Got a few records of Him and had agreat chat.

Third time around was played at the Mecca and Ritz as well. Great tune

Keep well - regards Steve

Social source share

Interesting stuff all this- I have a bit of a 'thing' about Warren Shatz productions.

The two version are definately different- the guitar is more upfront on the "Shatz" version and the vocals sound different too.

There's a really nice Viola Wills track with his name on it too.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This Warren Schatz. First of all we only made 1000 copies of Soon Everything Is Gonna Be Alright. B side was Sunny Gale song and the Dennine Record was far better than mine.

Social source share

link

I didn't produce the track, just the version of the record. There was a Jamaican version on Wildflower. Federal records label out of Kingston. They distributed RCA in the 70's and I was on business there and played it for them, so they released it.

Social source share

Interesting stuff all this- I have a bit of a 'thing' about Warren Shatz productions.

The two version are definately different- the guitar is more upfront on the "Shatz" version and the vocals sound different too.

There's a really nice Viola Wills track with his name on it too.

link

What kind of "thing" about the productions?

Social source share

What kind of "thing" about the productions?

link

Hi Warren, it's an honour to have someone of your musical pedigree on here.

I'm sure what Simon means is that he's intrigued by your many various and excellent productions and really enjoys them. I'm the same in this respect and yours is a name that crops up on many record labels of many varying artists and styles.

Vicki Sue Robinson 'Turn The Beat Around' was a massive record among soul/dance fans over here on it's release and I've got several girl group sounding 60s records you produced, but for the life of me I can't remember what they are. With a writer it's easy to find out what they've written but it's tougher with producers. Could you remind us of some of them, particularily the 60s/early 70s ones of a soulful nature.

Also I work for a record company Ace Records (UK) and we re-release a lot of 60s/70s soul material on our Kent label. If you're interested in licensing any of the productions that you control the masters on, we would be very interested. This single on discussion here would fit into our 'Modern Masterpieces' series. Our web site is www.acerecords.co.uk contact me off list if you are interested.

Cheers

Ady

Social source share

Hi Warren, it's an honour to have someone of your musical pedigree on here.

I'm sure what Simon means is that he's intrigued by your many various and excellent productions and really enjoys them. I'm the same in this respect and yours is a name that crops up on many record labels of many varying artists and styles.

Vicki Sue Robinson 'Turn The Beat Around' was a massive record among soul/dance fans over here on it's release and I've got several girl group sounding 60s records you produced, but for the life of me I can't remember what they are. With a writer it's easy to find out what they've written but it's tougher with producers. Could you remind us of some of them, particularily the 60s/early 70s ones of a soulful nature.

Also I work for a record company Ace Records (UK) and we re-release a lot of 60s/70s soul material on our Kent label. If you're interested in licensing any of the productions that you control the masters on, we would be very interested. This single on discussion here would fit into our 'Modern Masterpieces' series. Our web site is www.acerecords.co.uk contact me off list if you are interested.

Cheers

Ady

link

I brought back to the UK Warren's version after meeting him in 1975/76-memory fades. He was introduced to me at the Peppermint Lounge by Tony Gioe(club DJ).

I loaned it to Ian Levine to play and still have the original hard centre today.

Kev

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Hi,

This Warren Schatz. First of all we only made 1000 copies of Soon Everything Is Gonna Be Alright. B side was Sunny Gale song and the Dennine Record was far better than mine.

link

Hi Warren, first off thanks for your comments, great to have you on here :rolleyes:

Although I will take issue with you and disagree on which version is the better. I think yours has a 'raw' feel to it, which I think just gives it the edge over the polished TTA version :D

Was an instrumental version of yours ever cut like the Denine version?

It would be great to get hold of that if you did.

Thank you for such a great record :D

Jamie

Social source share

Hi Warren, first off thanks for your comments, great to have you on here  :huh:

Although I will take issue with you and disagree on which version is the better. I think yours has a 'raw' feel to it, which I think just gives it the edge over the polished TTA version  :shades:

Was an instrumental version of yours ever cut like the Denine version?

It would be great to get hold of that if you did.

Thank you for such a great record  :shades:

Jamie

link

Thanks Jamie,

Which girls records? They we're all kind of soul inspired in the mid to late sixties. I've been looking for some of them for a while. The Instrumental is the same as the dennine record. I did it very quickly for my second Love Records album in Helsinki, where I was living at the time. Glad you think it's OK. Has anyone heard from David Nathan?

W

Social source share

I didn't produce the track, just the version of the record. There was a Jamaican version on Wildflower. Federal records label out of Kingston. They distributed RCA in the 70's and I was on business there and played it for them, so they released it.

link

Grateful for your confirmation that it was released on Wildflower Warren, as I was beginning to think I had imagined it, as no one else seems to have seen it.

Regards

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!